More Stairs

Yellow and Green


 

     More stairs, was all I could think.  When I had first moved into Hogwarts, I hadn’t minded. I thought that the long winding corridors and moving stairs was the coolest thing ever. Now I just thought they were a pain.

 

    When I reached the door into the dorms, I stopped. There was no way in hell I was gonna knock. I wanted to just burst in and hit him hard enough to knock some sense into him, but I knew that was probably against some rule. I had also observed the many shoes littering the outside of the door, and realized there was probably a rule against shoes in the dorm, so I took the time to slip off my combat boots, stepping onto the cold floor with my thin muggle sports socks I had brought with me from home.

 

    I took a long, deep breath and sighed before pushing the door open slowly. I could already feel myself bubbling with rage. Just thinking about Jackson made me mad.

 

    As if an afterthought, I stormed in and looked around, my steps echoing forebodingly. Looking around, I found robes, socks of various shapes and sizes, and Gryffindor scarves littering the wooden bed posts and floors. It was gross.

 

    You may think I thought it was gross, and I did, but my first thoughts were filled with jealousy. Why would I be jealous? Just think.

 

    The wooden floors were warm. That was the first thing I realized. In the Slytherin dorms, the floors were a severely cold, white marble that would freeze your feet if you didn’t wear shoes, but the warmth I felt through my socks was homely and comforting. The second thing was the lighting. In the Slytherin dorms, everything was lit with the filtered, green sunlight coming out of the depths of the lake, cold and dark, with a few dim, spiderly thin candles here and there, but in this dorm, a warm, yellow light came from large lamps by bedsides and wood chandeliers with round, fat candles with years of wax dripping down the polished wood.

 

    Just the wood toning was warm. The ceiling was lacquered maple, with warm light brown tones, while the floors, chests and beds were a dark shining red chestnut. The usually cold walls of Hogwarts had worn away, giving the dorms an almost cave-like appearance, but it certainly wasn’t cold.

 

    I looked around, amazed. I didn’t bother with the very defined smell of guys (I got plenty of that with Jackson at home), or the messy clothes. After standing around a bit, I focused on the people in the room.

 

    I didn’t recognize a lot of them. Most of them were white, and I could easily pick Jackson out of them because of his Chinese descent. I tried to ignore the few shirtless guys that were obviously waiting outside the bathrooms for the showers, yellow and red towels around their waists. A few guys made small screeching noises when they saw me, but a few just grinned and flexed their muscles. I rolled my eyes and looked at Jackson. He was laying on his bed, hands behind his head, eyes closed. He hadn’t seen me yet. A few other guys from the quidditch team were there, lounging around. I didn’t want to see their arrogant smirks. I made a beeline for Jackson, ignoring a lot of rude side comments, gestures, and complaints.

 

   I didn't even think of how bad an idea it was to confront Jackson in front of his teamates. I should've known what would happen. Luckily, I never got to find out.

 

   Jackson's tawny owl came hurtling through the open window at blinding speeds, barely stopping itself before hitting Jackson. Jackson opened his eyes before sighing, not seeing me standing next to him. I looked at his owl as he untied the package from his feet.

 

   So, Jackson had been sending letters to someone. But who?

 

   Dad.

 

   I knew it. How did I not expect that? I bet it was initiated by Dad, too.

 

   I hadn't gotten a single letter from Dad yet. Now, I wasn't sure I wanted one.

 

   I wanted to puke as I watched Jackson open the package, revealing small, beautifully wrapped boxes of chocolate and fudge. Of course it had to be my favorite. I took a step back quietly, Jackson not noticing as I edged away towards the door. Some of his teamates snickered at me when they saw me, but Jackson probably thought they were just laughing that he got a package of sweets from his dad. I saw him take out a letter, then set it to the side of his bed without reading it before opening a box of orange flavored fudge. I knew that it was wrong to feel jealous, but I was. I spun around and left. I don't think Jackson ever saw me.

 

 

   When I walked back down the stairs, I was in a horrible mood. I felt left out, jealous, generally ignored, like I always am. When I passed Jinyoung, I didn't say anything and just walked right past him. Youngjae stood up fast as I passed, but I didn't look at him and headed straight for the tunnel out of the dorms.

 

   "Iza, what-"

 

   "Don't IZA me!" I snapped back at an unsuspecting Youngjae. He flinched, eyes wide. I felt bad instantly but I was still unbelievably pissed. 

 

   "Woah, Izara..." Jinyoung stood up. "I'm sorry, this is my fault. I should have known-" he started, but I cut him off.

 

   "Should have known what, Park? That Jackson is a bloody bastard? That he's a horrible brother, or he's a horrible friend?" I hissed. Jinyoung froze.

 

   "I'm done," I said coldly. "Leave me out of your own problems, and solve them on your own. None of this is my fault, and I'll be DAMNED if someone blames his behavior on ME." I was close to screeching.

 

   "Jackson's behavior IS HIS OWN. I am NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS INFANTILE ACTIONS, and YOU SHOULD HAVE THE NERVE TO PUT UP WITH HIM YOURSELF!" I screamed. Jinyoung's face was dark purple. I couldn't tell if he was angry or embarassed.

 

   "And YOU," I pointed at Youngjae accusingly. "YOU CAN'T SERIOUSLY HAVE THOUGHT IT WAS OKAY TO SEND ME UP THERE, TOO?" Youngjae looked very, very scared. I was close to pulling out my wand. But, I got a thought. A horrible thought that I knew wasn't true, but being the idiot I was and how close I was to murdering someone, I took it out on Youngaje.

 

   "Unless," I smirked devilishly, pulling out my wand. It glinted darkly in the candle light.

 

   "You've been up to me for this very purpose." 

 

   There was a moment of pure silence. I wanted to scream at him, but I knew this would be more effective.

 

   "I'm just a liablility. Jackson flips out a lot, but you don't want to get on his bad side, right? But me... I'm younger, and I'm clearly not your friend..." Youngjae looked close to tears. I wasn't having it.

 

   "I AM, AREN'T I? RIGHT, JINYOUNG?" I turned back to Jinyoung. He sat down, still facing me but looking at the ground. Then, I heard footsteps and someone came hurtling through the stairway out of the boys dorms.

 

   "What the HELL IS GOING ON HERE?" boomed Jaebum. I dropped my wand in surprise. Then, I realized.

 

   I was no better than my brother. I had just taken my anger out on something completely unlrelated to why I was mad and hurt, and I had probably just turned Jinyoung and Youngjae away. My hands were shaking as I stared at my wand on the floor. Jaebum ran down and stooped by Jinyoung, looking worried. I turned my back, ready to leave, but Jaebum called out to me.

 

   "What did you do," He said, harshly.

 

   "I don't know." I paused.

 

   "What did I do?" I questioned, as I walked out.

 

   No one moved to stop me.