The First, and Hopefully the Last.

Yellow and Green

   Nothing else happened for the rest of the day until after classes. Of course, anything that is worthy of mention is either really good or really bad, but this night was a frustrating one and thus unfortunate.

   

   I had my first quidditch practice after school today. Whooohoooo. Luckily, I recieved no injuries. Not much else good happened.

 

   I had recieved my team robes the day before by owl, and they fit perfectly. I wasn't very excited to meet my other team members.What was worse was that I hadn't practiced with them yet either, and yet we were going to have a practice match/scrimmage with Gryffindor. I had no idea how we were supposed to have a proper working team without teamwork. I just hoped our individual skills would supports us. In short, I was just super worried. Other than that, I was secretly happy I was getting out and doing something physical rather than doing homework all day or dealing with people. On the field, there was a distance that allowed me to have physical or verbal contact with others without worrying about it, cause everything was superficial and in the moment. 

 

   I was also secretly happy for a chance to pummel Jackson.

 

   I knew it was going to be a bad night the moment I stepped out onto the field, trailing behind my team. I could hear Jackson bragging from across the field. It was obnoxious. I had only just briefly exchanged a quick hello with my team captain, a small guy with light brown hair who was a chaser, before we had been ushered onto the feild. The only thing I was excited about was seeing Yugeom, Jaebum, and Bambam on the feild. And, of course, completely destroying Jackson. He had been more annoying lately than he usually was.

 

   On the feild, the teams faced each other. Jaebum kind of nodded at me, Yugeom kind of smiled/smirked at me, and Bambam smiled and waved at me. That was pretty much all the welcome I got. The rest were leering at us. I looked around at my own teamates. Our captain, I think his name was something like Roy Robinson, was stone-faced. The rest of the team mirrored his. I quickly copied their look after giving a brief shrug to Jaebum and Yugeom, and then smiling at Bambam.

   "Troy Robinson," said Jaebum, extending a hand and inclining his head slightly. "Im Jaebum,"Troy sent back. So that's his name; Troy, I thought. Everything about Jaebum screamed Gryffindor captain. He had the tall stance, the broad shoulders, the confidence, the talent. I couldn't say the same for our team. After all, our team historically , since every good player joined Gryffindor after Harry Potter's success and reputation plagued Hogwarts.

 

   Jaebum dangled a sliver whistle out of his robes. 

 

   "Start when I blow the whistle?" he offered. Robinson nodded and shrugged, then turned to the box holding all of the balls.

 

   "Then I'll start with the quaffle."

 

   The Griffindor team grinned at Troy's words. It was courtesy for the Griffindor team, as the leading team for around twenty years, to let the other team start with the quaffle during scrimmages.

 

  Everyone mounted their brooms, the Slytherins more apprehensive than the Griffindors. I stared at the broom Jackson had bought me in disgust before mounting it. It was very expensive, but I wasn't enjoying the way Jackson had been acting lately. I stared at everyone. The moment Jaebum blew the whistle, we knew we'd be pummled. Me and the other Slytherin beater, a really tall beefy guy I could tell had no agility, got our bats while Yugeom and the other respective beater got their's. Someone got off their broom briefly to release the other, much more mobile balls. As we got into positions, one of the older guys on the team slapped me on the back in a somewhat sad and appoligetic welcome. I think he was a chaser. 

 

   My body felt numb and disconnected as I watched Jaebum bring the whistle up to his face and Robinson ready the quaffle under an arm in retaliation. I barely noticed the sound of the whistle and the brush of wind as the Slytherins rushed away from the Gryffindors. I was finally beggining to understand their tactics: One; run from the Gryffindors, and you might score. Two; Never stay in formation. You become a target.

 

   I felt myself immediatly become a target of the Griffindor beaters. The one that wasn't Yugeom looked a little apprehensive. He was Indian and had gold-tinged skin that glistened even under the dimming light of the sun, his black hair striking against even the blackest of everyone else's. I assumed he was South-Indian from his slight difference in facial features and skin tinge to North-Indians. I knew he was trying to evaluate my skill level, but I decided I wasn't going to give him the time to do that before I did something to prove myself. 

 

  I shot away from the center of the pitch, my bat at the ready. I veered away to an edge of the pitch, on a recieving end from the other Slytherin beater. I carefully observed my team only to find they were doing the same to me. Everyone on the pitch was watching me out of the corner of their eyes, cause I was the new kid. I groaned inwardly throughout the rest of the game.

 

   I mostly waited a bit at the very beggining and watched our team try to avoid the Griffindor team. It didn't last very long, as eventually one of the much more skilled Griffindor chasers dragged the poor Slytherin holding the quaffle at the wrong time through the sand at the bottom of the quidditch pitch. It was Jackson, of course. I didn't think anyone else would use such a back-handed move to completely ground one of our players. Sand burns , and I'm speaking from experience.

 

  I only moved when a bludger got close enough for me to hit. It seemed to be an accidental hit in my direction, as it was the Indian beater that had sent it my way. He face-palmed and peeked out through his fingers at me to see what I would do. I sighed and met the bludger with my bat, slamming it with half-force towards an unsuspecting Jackson. It slammed into his shoulders and knocked him off his broom and onto the ground in a poof of sand. I grinned sadistically at him from several hundred feet up, then shifted away from the corner I was in when I saw the daggers from the other Griffindor chasers. After all, Jackson was a star player. From the way he was laying on the ground groaning, he looked like he wouldn't be playing quidditch in a while. No one made a move to help him. I assumed someone was on the feild and would help eventually, but I didn't feel bad at all.

 

   After the bludger hit Jackson it came right back. I hit it to the other Slytherin beater, unintercepted. I looked to the other Slytherin beater. He looked a little relieved, like he was expecting the worst and got something better. Roy, or Troy, didn't look like he expected any less. Instead of showing any reaction, he motioned for me to move off to the right, behind Yugeom except almost 40 ft. away. I understood his motive. If a bludger was coming I could hit it and get rid of Yugeom or another good Gryffindor player. Yugeom was smart, he was in the position he was so he could reach nearly the entire feild with a bludger it if came his way. However, if I intercepted it or he missed and I got a chance to hit it... goodbye Griffindor.

 

  Yugeom didn't notice as I snuck up on him from behind, keeping a very safe distance. It wouldn't take him long to notice I was missing or notice I was behind him, so I kept quiet and very observant.

 

   Then, an oportune moment came.