The First, and Hopefully the Last (Continued)

Yellow and Green

There was a bludger, coming across the feild from where Yugeom had hit it previously.

 

Yugyeom just stayed in the air and waited for it to come to him, as it was common to do in quidditch. From my years of football (soccer) practice, I knew exactly how to surprise him. As my coaches always said; "You run to the ball, the ball doesn't run to you." Since I followed this rule, I gained a lot of experience with feinting and stealing balls.

 

I came up behind Yugyeom slowly at first, but when it got close enough, I burst towards the bludger just as fast as it was coming at me. I knocked Yugyeom out of the way as I readied my hitting arm, then pulling back I hit the ball with a very loud 'thwak'. Yugyeom moved too fast for me to hit him with it and noticed the moment I passed him, so I aimed it across the feild and at one of the other annoying players on the Griffindor team. He dropped like a fly. 

 

   A few people pulled up on their brooms and stopped completely to watch as I hit another bludger towards another Griffindor player that hadn't looked very nice. She dropped, holding their shoulder in pain. I grinned wickedly and stopped for a while as Yugyeom and the Indian beater got possession of both bludgers for a bit, making sure to keep them out of my range. Once in a while I looked down at where Jackson was sitting in the sand, holding his arm. I could see him glaring up at me. I felt a little bad, but it wasn't enough for me to appologize yet. By then I had taken out three Griffindors, two of them chasers, one the poor Indian guy I kind of felt bad about hittting. I made a goal to take out their goalie next.

 

  After observing a bit longer, I moved to hit another bludger sent my way by the other Slytherin beater. He was learning quickly, I noticed. I hit it at Jaebum, keeping it slightly to the left to avoid actually hitting him. I just wanted to scare him a bit. He backed off immediatly and moved farther away from me. Bambam reacted similarily to my attacks, just changing directions and even getting out of my range whenever I hit a bludger his way. I whacked one at him everytime I saw him see the snitch, which elicited some colorful words from him.

 

  I didn't ever get far enough to hit their goalie. I hit bludgers a few more times, but for all of them I was either too far away, someone was trying to jinx me off of my broom, or I had a better target. I still monitored Jackson. I watched him wave person after person away from him, then glance back up at the sky towards us. Jackson was always one to turn away help, but he would never compromise his ability to play Quidditch. I figured he was furious.

 

 My efforts kept the Griffindor chasers from hackling our Slytherin chasers too badly, like they usually did. They quickly learned that as long as they didn't provoke me, they would not find a bludger coming their way. The other Slytherin beater (I want to say soooo badly that his name was Siv or Sylvester) hit it a few times as well. I gathered what I could from his hits his flying style and attack patterns. His physical shape, bulky and tall, made him an easy target, but a lot of people didn't get too close to make an effort to knock him off his broom. His actions were similar to his shape. He would fly full speed towards a target and wasn't very agile in any way. He hit with full force and was unable to pull back on hits. He had a hard time dodging and moving quickly, and was slow to react. Like a bull, I realized. He deffinitely fit the position of beater. Me, not so much. I was short and not very strong-looking.

 

   Troy Robinson, our captain, was pretty good. He deffinitely deserved the position, and was the best chaser on the Slytherin team. I didn't know anyone else's names, but there was a very good goalie with auburn hair that looked a little shy, but she looked nice. The seeker was a small guy will dark blonde hair. The chasers comprised of Robinson, a black haired 7th year, and some 3rd year kid that looked too much like Bambam and had diyed his hair purple.

 

   The match ended with a draw. Jaebum blew his whistle after we scored our second point. Once we got down onto the sand, I could hear him muttering "I don't want to lose any more players," to himself as he stalked off. Troy looked pretty happy and hopeful at the outcome of the match. When I looked at him questioningly, he just smiled and hopped a little. I realized he was only a bit taller than I was. 

 

  All of the Gryffindors left the pitch very quickly, probably to save their pride and to go find the three I had knocked down. The Slyterins stuck around a bit, talking amongst themselves. I even got approached by a few. It was a very rare experience. I never talked to anyone, and no one cared to talk to me, either, until Miriam had.

  I learned the other team members' names. The other bull-like beater's name was Shawn Griffon, but I noticed that the team called him Sid a lot. The shy goalie's name was Audrie Carrow. She was a fifth year. The seeker's name was Jake Black. The two chasers aside from Troy were Madison Halsey and Thanh Vu. When I met Thanh, I realized he was more like Bambam in more ways than appearance. He was super hyper and liked to dance, too much even. Madison was Troy's older cousin, and they were very similar. They looked like siblings. Audrie was just as shy as I had expected, but I mustered up some courage to ask her about herself. She told me she liked to box, and I started a conversation with her about martial arts that I could tell she very much enjoyed. Jake Black was interesting. His short stature and steadiness showed his swiftness and agility. I had no doubt that he was at least an average seeker, and wondered why he was in the least favorable of all houses. Shawn was quieter than I thought. I figured he would act like the football players I had known previously, but he wasn't loud or boisterous.

 

  I wanted to enjoy their company, but I knew someone was waiting for me in the sand across the pitch.

 

  Cautiously approaching the glaring figure, I kept a wand by my side just in case Jackson was mad enough to hex me. Even the smallest most mundane curses were unpredictable due to his inability to master his wand. He sat cross-legged, holding his shoulder which was obviously out of place and oddly shaped. His broom had landed not far off, the black oiled wood glistening from the lit pitch. He looked like he was in a lot of pain but I didn't say anything. When I got close enough to kick him, I stopped and waited. He didn't do anything but glare, and I didn't appologize. After a bit, he looked away and mumbled something.

 

  "What? I didn't catch that," I hissed, assuming that it was offensive. I could hear the Slytherin team moving off of the field. "Fine. I'll just leave you here until your pride is hurt enough that you ask someone to help you," I snarled, and stalked off a few feet before I saw Jaebum, Yugyeom and Bambam watching us from thirty feet away, just off the pitch. They held their brooms in one hand and their wands in their other hand. I knew they were there because they knew it would get ugly if we fought. Which we probably were going to do.

 

  I stopped and stood there with my back facing Jackson, glaring up at the sky. Jackson was being ridiculous. I never appreciated the offhand comments he smothered me in about me being in Slytherin. I hated when he talked about Griffindor as though it was full of all of the good people, and everyone else was bad. I was jealous of his friendships and that he could find people that stayed around him even when he was stupid. I hated the way he ignored me when his friends were around. I hated that his friends ignored me too, for three years up until now. I hated how outgoing he was. I hated how he always blamed me when something went wrong. I hated when he got mad at me when something bad happened to me. I hated how he bullied me into doing things I didn't want to do. I hated how he got mad at me when it was really his own fault.

I hated him.

 

  I clenched the hand that wasn't holding my broom into a fist. In a fit of fury, I threw the broom Jackson had given to me onto the sandy ground as hot wet tingles dripped down my cheeks.

 

   "You." My voice was quiet, but very angry.

 

   "Do you even think before you act?" I spat out. Jackson didn't say anything. I could see Jaebum's hand tightening around his wand. "Oh, Jesus," I heard someone mutter. I spun around, my quidditch robes flying, and faced Jackson.

 

   "Do you seriously THINK I deserved to be yelled at whenever something goes wrong because YOU made ME do something?" I screeched. My face was really hot now.

  "I'm sorry, Iza." He didn't look up. I crossed my arms.

 

  "For what?" I kept my glare fastened on him. He didn't answer. "How about I remind you." I could feel my knuckles turning white.

 

   "Remember when I got put into Slytherin, my first day? I think that was the start of it all, wasn't it?" I snickered. Jackson closed his eyes and lowered his head.

 

   "By then you already had friends, in Griffindor and the other houses. But not Slytherin. You know what's funny? You completely ignored me for an entire month, Jackson. And I knew why," I paused for dramatic effect.

 

   "You didn't have friends in Slytherin, so you couldn't have bothered to check up on your own sister," I yelled. I heard someone gasp behind me.

 

   "That's not all. You might have talked to me once in a while, but until this year when you finally introduced me to your friends-" I gestured across the pitch at Bambam, Jaebum and Yugyeom, "You didn't give a damn, Jackson." I saw his shoulders shaking. I knew that he knew he had done wrong.

 

   "Those first few years, you knew exactly what happened to me," I muttered, stepping closer to him with every word.

 

   "I was bullied. I was mocked, and I was made fun of, but not just by the Griffindor jocks or by Slytherin fifth years. I was mocked by you." I poked Jackson's uninjured shoulder. "My older brother," I laughed heartlessly. 

 

   "I could talk about what you did for years, Jackson, but I'm only going to complain about how you've been treating me this year," I hissed.

 

   "Getting mad at me because Yugyeom hit me with a bludger? Smooth move, brother. You're the one who wanted me to do quidditch like you. You're the one who made me do it, and YOU put me up against an amazing Griffindor beater, much better that your average beater, I should say, considering how Griffindor is the most competetive house. To top it, I was inexperienced and had never held a bat. That's only one example."

 

   "Furthermore, you've been neglecting me as always. Although, I should probably thank you, since it's been less so than last year. Or the year before. Or the years before then. And, you think it's been easy for me, seeing you have fun with your friends? When I don't have the looks or the talent to compete with them, or even have friends of my own.

   "You talk about family a lot. You love dad. You loved your mother. You certainly talk about her a lot," I grimaced. "But you didn't even think about how I don't have one." I turned around, away from Jackson and away from his friends and tried to wipe away the tears that were streaming down from my face.

 

   "I.... Izara..." Someone was standing behind me, hugging me. "I'm sorry..." Bambam whispered. I was hiccuping from crying. I could hear someone else crying softly. I tilted my head to Jackson and saw tears streaming down his face. Maybe I had been too harsh.

 

   "I'm so sorry..." Jackson trailed off, then wiped his face with his good arm. I knew that it was only Bambam, Jaebum, Yugyeom, Jackson, and I on the pitch now.

 

   I pulled out my wand. Bambam backed away, hands up. I pointed it at Jackson.

 

   "Ferula, " I muttered, and turned away, walking off of the pitch and not looking back.

 

No one followed me.