002

As If Its Your Last

"Jiyeon I know that Im asking too much from you but can you please cover for my shift?" my best friend asked me. 

"Why what's wrong?"

"I havent been feeling very well since earlier today. I think I ate something that my stomach doesnt approve"

"Okay, I'll cover for your shift."

"Thank you so much jiyeon. I promise that I'll do your shift tomorrow morning" 

"Its okay hyun. I can handle this and besides, I badly need the money right now. It's payment season for me again" 

"No, I insist. You wont be sleeping today at all. Its the least that I can do" 

"Okay fine. Rest well hyun" 

 

It has been almost 2 hours since my original shift ended. 

It's already 1am and my eyes are starting to get drowsy. 

 

The tv screen was currently playing BTS' latest song, Spring Day. 

Since there is not much of customers, I decided to fix the food rack and clean the tables the customers left. 

"nunkkochi tteoreojyeoyo tto jogeumsshik meoreojyeoyo, bogo shipda. eolmana gidaryeoya tto myeot bameul deo saewoya.
neol boge doelkka mannage doelkka"

I stopped humming when I felt someone's presence. 

 

"Do you know the song that's playing?" this soft voice from my back asked.

"yeah. kids around here asked for the song all the time. Its been playing all around the store since my shift started" I said laughing. I didnt turn back on who he is tho. 

"Do you know who sang the song?" 

"Yep. BTS, they've been pretty famous nowadays. I still remembered when they were first starting" 

"Are you a fan of them?" he asked. I turned to look at him but he was quick to turn his back. 

"If you mean sasaeng, then its a no. They're cool as a group but I appreciate their music more"

"Really?"

"Yeah. I mean they must have spent a lot of time trying to make the perfect track for their fans and they never forget to thank army for their success. Oh crap, Im rambling. Anyway are you a fan as well?" 

"Hmmm they are ugly"

"There are a lot of definition of the word beauty. Bangtan is a band. People should judge them based on how they make their music." 

He went silent before he answered me. 

"You know youre pretty different" 

I chose to ignore what he said and went back to the cashier. 

For the first time since he came, I catched a glimpse of his face. He was wearing a plain black shirt, a face mask and a beanie. 

"I'll take this, how much will that be?" he asked

"250000 won. Should I pack it or will you eat it here?"

"I'll just eat here"

I gave him the things that he bought. 

He sat in the table very near the cash register

"So how long have you been working here?" 

"I've been working here for quite some time now." 

"I havent seen you before. I mean I usually eat ramen around this time, its always this other girl" 

"ah, youre talking about my bestfriend, Soo hyun. This is usually her shift but she's sick so I have to cover for her."

"What's your usual shift?"

"4-6 am, 5-11pm" 

"What do you do during your break?"

"I still go to school. Im studying in SOPA" 

"I used to go there before" 

"Chincha?"

"Yes. I just graduated last year"

"So youre a sunbae then" 

"You can say that. So youre going to sopa, are you a trainee or you want to be an artist?" 

"That was my dream before. I mean ultimately if you go to an arts school, you dreamt of performing professionally but things changed. I cant just be selfish with my decisions."

"I heard you sing earlier, you should really continue singing. Youre really good. Ummm, I never asked for your name" 

"Im Jiyeon, Hwang Jiyeon and you?" he laughed before he answered me

"I'll tell you my name later." 

"That's unfair" 

"No its not. Im still gonna be saying my name to you so Im not being unfair to you"

"Whatever you say. Are you in the university right now?" 

"Not yet but Im planning to enroll maybe next year" 

"So sunbaenim, what brings you to the store at this time of the day" 

"I havent eaten dinner yet so I decided to eat first before going to our dorm to sleep" 

"This is an odd time to be out sunbae" 

"Its our usual time out in my line of work"

"What do you do for a living sunbae? You sound like youre living a very exciting life" I asked curiously

"I cant say what I do exactly but what I can say is that Im working in the same line that I studied in highschool" 

"Youre working in the music industry??? Wow that must be so cool" 

"Yes it is but sometimes it gets pretty tiring." 

"All work are tiring but if you love what youre doing, working wont feel like working" 

"Yes that's true. I really enjoyed talking to you jiyeon-shi. I'll try to drop by during your working hours."

"That will be nice. Youre really fun to talk to. I mean I cant believe its almost the end of my shift" 

"I'll see you again jiyeon. Continue singing" 

"Ne, I will sunbae!" 

 

I was preparing to go home since the guy Im exchanging shift is already here.

He was halfway out when he turned and called my name. 

"Yes?" I asked when I turned

"I'm jungkook. Jeon Jungkook" 

My jaw dropped when he said his name. 

He pulled down his face mask and smiled at me. 

"It was really nice to meet you jiyeon" 

"You too jungkook sunbaenim." 

He waved goodbye before crossing the street.