001

As If Its Your Last

"We promised that we will work very hard in order to reciprocate all the love army is showing us. We couldn't have made it without their help so from the very bottom of our heart, thank you ARMY." 

 

I smiled upon hearing the interview of BTS in the news. 

"Is this all ma'am?" 

"yes" 

"That would be 100000 won ma'am thank you for shopping" I said with a greeting. 

After I finished the customer's payment, I immediately rushed out and catch a bus to school. 

My first shift for today is from 4am-6am followed by the next one is 5pm -11pm. The time in between is alloted for school. I only worked in the convenience store every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. During Tuesdays and Thursdays I worked in the dance studio as an instructor. Weekends are my break. I take my siblings home and we bond together. It's my only rest time. 

My father was never with us. He left us for good when I was 10 years old. When he was with us, he was always gone in "business meetings". I never really noticed the difference. My mom on the other hand, didnt take him leaving lightly. I'm almost 19 years old but my mother never really moved on from his departure. She suffered depression. At first it was very tolerable but as time passed it got worse. 

At a young age I was forced to mature for the sake of my younger siblings. I was 18 when she had enough. 

I picked up my youngest sibling from nursery and when I was cooking our dinner he asked me something that scarred us for life. 

"Noona, why is momma covered in blood? I told her Im home but she's not moving" I became alarmed immediately as I saw my brother's tear stained face.

"Hyorin please take care of Sungjae, I'm just gonna see what's up with mom" 

I went up and saw my fears come to life. My mom took her own life. I called 911 as soon as I saw her body. 

Our relatives were grieving for our loss but my father never showed his face to us anymore. 

My mom left us with our house which she put under my name. She left her bank account and savings for our education. She also has the bank account she opened for all of the child support my father was forced to send to us all this years. 

I still consider my siblings still too young. My youngest brother is 5 years old and My younger sister is 15. 

Since I was still considered a kid myself, my aunt decided to help us. She looks after them during the weekdays and I take them back on weekends. Even with all the help our relatives givem I still need to pay for all of their needs and all of their fees. 

 

"Ms. Hwang, you are late again" 

"Im sorry ma'am. I got off of work late today. I promised that this will be the last" 

"You promised the same last week and now youre late again. Take a seat Ms. Hwang. I surely hope that this will be the very last time and by the way you are asked to be in the head master's office after my class" 

 

Things are seriously getting better for me. reaalllly reaaaallly better. 

 

"Jiyeon I understand that you are having a lot of troubles right now. I mean with your mom passing away, school, work and your siblings I know that you are having a hard time. Ive given all the possible consideration that I can give. It pains me to say this but if you cant settle your balances in the school withing this week, you wouldnt be graduating this year. That means to say that you are no longer eligible for that college scholarship you've been eyeing for for years" 

I tried to hide the tears that wanted to escape my eyes when I heard the head master say that. 

"I will graduate sir. I will make sure I can settle everything this week"

"There is no other way jiyeon. I would have delayed the deadline for your tuition fee but my hands are tied right now. I really can't do anything" 

"Youve done a lot for me already head master. Im really grateful for all of your help" 

 

I also received a text message from my sister and brother's school asking for their tuitions as well. 

I just closed my eyes and let my tears go.

I dont know how to do this on my on. 

 

Eomma, help me please.