Epilogue

Boy By the Sea

He looks for him.

The world is engulfed in darkness outside, but soft ambient lights illuminate the Sackler Egyptian wing of the Metropolitan Museum. The floating candles in the central reflective pool flicker and drift, like lotus flowers swirling in the Nile thousands of years ago. Fragrant orchid arrangements and rows of champagne glasses decorate the tables scattered amongst the well dressed attendees.

Jeongguk walks through the crowd, polished black shoes clicking on the marble floor, scanning and search.

He smiles diplomatically at several familiar faces, but doesn’t linger. Deeper he walks, around the dark reflective pool, as the crowd thins and the clamor lulls into a distant buzz, searching.

He climbs up the set of steps near the back, and pauses as he reaches the expansive platform on top. There, appearing in front of him like some fabled mirage, is an imposing Egyptian temple, each piece of ancient sandstone carefully cut and transported from its original location by the Nile. The lights are dimmed in this area, saved for the potlights illuminating from the ground up, casting the reliefs on the sandstone walls in striking shadows. Slowly, Jeongguk strolls through the splendidly decorated gate, eyes glancing up towards the vivid images on the walls, of fearsome gods and forgotten pharaohs.

As he turns to face the inner temple, between tall columns filled with eternally blooming lotus buds and swaying papyrus leaves, he finally finds him, the lone figure gazing contemplatively at the set of large reliefs sprawling out on the wall.

A soft grin spreads by the corner of his lips, loosening his shoulders, as time seems to slow down just for the two of them. As Jeongguk walks closer, Taehyung turns with face half hidden in the dark, eyes twinkling as a smile blooms.

“The might Caesar, bowing down in front of the gods of life and death.” Taehyung’s glance moves back to the relief, outlines sharp against the columns of floor lights.

“Amazing.” Jeongguk nods and stops beside him.

“Yeah. Incredible how after thousands of years, we all still share the same fears - dying, and becoming nothing.” Taehyung’s arm loops around Jeongguk’s, voice pensive.

“Well, death is...never an easy concept.” Jeongguk responds. Fragments of memory flash across his mind, but he blinks and lets them go. “When I was a kid, I use to fear death, just that feeling of ceasing to be. All my memories, everything I've learned and cared for, all gone.”

A sideway glance, “man, you were a morbid kid. Do you still feel that way now?”

Jeongguk shakes his head, “not really. As I get older and watch people move on, I'm learning to accept it. It's the last step of the whole experience, and gives life such an urgency. I hope I don't squander all the time away.”

“True.” Taehyung concurs as they sink into a comfortable silence, eventually he adds, “I use to never think about death, easier to ignore it, to pretend I was invincible. Until I got you, then the kids. Now I get a heart attack everytime Lia lets go of my hand on the street.”

He scrunched up his face, and Jeongguk can't help but chuckle. “She’s pretty hyper though, you gotta watch out for her.”

“Yeah, my little pains in the , ours. I miss them.” Taehyung pouts wistfully.

“We’ve only been away for two days.” Jeongguk gives his arm a gentle squeeze.

“I know, I know. And I asked you to come to this thing in New York. It always seems like a good idea at the time, you know? To get away for a bit. Everything just feels so overwhelming sometimes. But the second I leave, I start to miss them.” An eye roll. “I miss her bouncing on me in the morning in her squishy diaper, miss Max asking for his favorite banana pancakes, miss Chims by the window. It's stupid, I know.” He's leaning into Jeongguk now, burrowing his face into him, looking like a sulky kid and not caring.

Jeongguk gently cards through his hair, “it's not stupid, I feel the same way. We’ll be home soon.”

Home. The ranchman style house in Ventura, up on the bluff but with an amazing view of the ocean, the best of both worlds. It's tricky to navigate through the floors without stepping on a piece of Lego, and the bright playset in the backyard doesn't really quite jive with the modern patio furniture Jeongguk prefers, but it's home. And the thought of it always relaxes him instantaneously, of belonging somewhere, finally.

It wasn't easy to start a family. Jeongguk had his reservations, fears he never voiced but knew Taehyung understood. The fear that he would be terrible at it, parenting, loving two small beings and guiding them through life. The thought of failure used to paralyze him at night, seeping into his dreams. But one look at Taehyung and he knew he had to try. This man, the love of his life, it was a miracle that he found his way back to him. And Jeongguk never wants to say no to him ever again.

So he observed Taehyung who was born to be the perfect dad, watched him and learned. In his clumsy ways, he opened his heart to Amelia and Max since the first day they were brought home as infants, and promised to be the best parent he never quite had himself.

And it turned out to be easier than he expected. Love comes naturally when you are willing to take the leap and give it all.

Jeongguk’s lips graze by Taehyung’s hair, “we can buy them some gifts tomorrow.”

As expected, Taehyung's eyes brighten, “yes, toys! maybe Lia’s first doll? And the biggest dinosaur we could find for Max, of course!”

“Of course.” Jeongguk comments. “That's not spoiling him at all.”

“Look who’s talking.” Taehyung arches an eyebrow. Jeongguk purses his lips to hide the sheepish grin. Ok, maybe he indulgences the kids a bit too much sometimes. Lia is only two, a baby really, deserves to be held. At all times. And it's really not his fault for reading too many books to Max every night in bed. That kid loves to read, how to say no to that.

Jeongguk averts Taehyung’s knowing glance, and changes the subject, “and we still got lunch tomorrow at Yoon’s.”

“He better not still be on that vegan kick.” A little scoff. “The tofurkey he burned on Christmas Eve still haunts me.” Taehyung sneers, eyes widening in mock horror.

Jeongguk stays mum about it. Those two. They fight like cats and dogs, yet he always catches Taehyung texting Yoon at weird hours of the day, then bursting into loud giggles as he reads the response. Having only received one-word texts from Yoon practically all his life, Jeongguk cannot even begin to fathom what conversations transpire between those two.

Some relationships are just fated to be, no matter how impossible they seem on paper.

“All done here?” Taehyung asks, hand absently smoothing out Jeongguk’s sleeve.

“Yeah, caught up with a few old connection, will be useful for expanding the amount of companies involved on the east coast.”

When he first received the invite for speaking at today’s reception, Jeongguk was disinterested. Typical investment banking gatherings, he's been out of the limelight for so long, it's a wonder they tracked him down at all. But Taehyung reminded him that it would be a good networking opportunity for Genesys. “For all those students that need you, babe.” his eyes gleamed with fondness, and Jeongguk could never say no to that.

Genesys is one of the organizations he's been helping out with more and more. It connects high schoolers from impoverished neighborhoods to internship positions at large corporations, helping them gain the experience and motivation required to work towards their dream jobs.

It gives Jeongguk immense satisfaction to call up old contacts in the financial sectors for such a refreshingly altruistic reason.

“Well done.” Taehyung gives his arm an encouraging squeeze. “Good to know I didn't get judged for hours for nothing.” He scorns but the smile doesn't falter.

Jeongguk smirks. Taehyung’s silk shirt is a bit too billowy for black tie, his one dangling earring a tad too sparkling. What's new, he stands out, as always, in a sea of uptight business elites with their calculated glances and hollow roundabout talks.

But Taehyung smiles at each and every one of them, shaking their hands diligently, and ignoring the whispers behind his back. Jeongguk knows, he's here for him, supporting his cause and rooting for him in the crowd when he spoke. Because they are a team.

“Nice to have you here. Thank you.” Jeongguk whispers to him, earning a proud little grin in return.

“What for? I'm here for the free weekend getaway.” Taehyung casually responds, and makes a face. “Sleep in, eat slowly, bathe for as long as I want, what's not to like.”

Ah the dream of every parent. And Taehyung’s job at the music studio is quite demanding, taking up countless weekend and late night hours. But he loves it, although not so much the baggy-eyed sleep deprived look.

“Always so easy to please.” Jeongguk teases, reaching in to tug a strand of his hair behind his ear. “What else do you want this weekend? To thank you for coming with me, that is.”

There's a spark of mischief in his eyes, making Jeongguk instantaneously regret the offer.

.

“Well…” Taehyung pretends to think, pulling a chapstick out of his pocket. He smears the glistening content across his lips slowly, making a tantalizing show of it. “Anything I want?”

“Yes…”

“You know, it's been so long since we played a little… haven't had the time…” Taehyung’s long fingers swipe across his parted lips and trace the outline. They reach for Jeongguk and land on his lips gingerly, transferring the content of the chapstick. Jeongguk's mind drifts as he catches a whiff of the saccharine strawberry scent.

“I gotta say, you always look so good dressed up. Make me wanna do things.” His fingers move back to the chapstick, dabbing more of the content and making their way to Jeongguk’s eyelids in a playful flutter. They graze by like feathers, leaving just a trace of the glisten on each lid. Jeongguk purses his lips as he hears a satisfying giggle from Taehyung.

“Does the offer still stand, Guk? Can I have anything I want tonight? Anything?” He's leaning in, breath fanning Jeongguk’s skin, flustering him.

He wants to say no, but the words come out differently, “um sure, love.”



------



How did he end up here?

Jeongguk sighs, shifting his wrists above his head, trying to get comfortable in the position, and failing miserably.

The silk ties strapped to the bedpost and restricting his wrists do not help.

He eyes the wrinkled sheets tossed to the side of the bed, and cusses inwardly for not draping it over himself right before the restriction.

Big mistake.

Taehyung has helped strip him down to just the boxer briefs, and Jeongguk eyes the impish man kneeling in front of him, feeling exposed and vulnerable.

Definitely not feelings he’s used to experiencing.

“Tae, baby, what do you have planned next?” Jeongguk musters his most honeyed voice. It comes out hoarse and a tad shaky instead.

A shrug, as Taehyung pushes himself up between his legs. His silk white shirt is mostly ed, lifting up as he stretches, revealing the high cut white thong tugging right under his golden tanned tummy.

Jeongguk pulls in his bottom lip but can’t look away.

“I dunno, feel like you always get to dominate, curious how it feels if I take the lead this time.”

“Sounds good. But you think the restrictions are necessary?” Jeongguk eyes the ties above his head uncertainly and gives them another pull.

“Well, we don’t want you to get ahead of yourself, you know. Sometimes you do get carried away with your strength…” slender long fingers trace invisible curves up Jeongguk’s thighs, slithering and making their ways upwards.

Jeongguk bites on the bottom lip harder, suppressing a groan.

The fingers pause near his bulge, lingering and tracing its outline through the fabric, the delicate touch sending shivers up his spine.

“You know, after all this time, I still love it so much,” the tip of Taehyung’s tongue peeks through his parted lips, as his eyes stay focused down below. “To get you excited, make you wanna do things to me.”

Jeongguk follows his gaze and watches as his bulge hardens under the touch. “Yes, to do things to you… is that what you want, baby?”

Taehyung looks up and hums. Wordlessly, he slips a hand under his own shirt. His palm glides up and hovers over his , rubbing lightly, as his cheeks start to flush.

It’s unusual, the restriction and the lack of control. Jeongguk frowns as his eyes follow Taehyung’s every move. Normally, he would’ve intervened long before, grabbing the delicate wrist and denying him the pleasure of touching himself without permission. He hates it, hates how he’s quickly becoming, yet powerless to do anything about it. Not because of the ties, but because Taehyung wants to play.

His love has asked for the game, so he complies, begrudgingly.

But his piercing glare seems to only encourage Taehyung, who grows bold with each passing moment. His hand dips down to the edge of his thong, tugging at it, fingers sliding under and around his hardened that’s barely contained by the stretched fabric.

When Taehyung speaks again, his voice trembles ever so slightly, “miss your hands on me…hmm…” a soft moan escapes when the edge of his hand presses into the tip.

Jeongguk snaps, “, Tae, then just let me touch you.”

“Hmm…” He is ignored, Taehyung hums through half lidded eyes, “what’s the fun in that. It’s a game, baby, just enjoy the show.”

He inches towards Jeongguk more, knees prodding into his inner thighs. His other hand moves towards his puckered lips, wetting his fingers with saliva over long languid .

When Taehyung lowers the moistened digits and fingers himself from behind, his eyelids flutter and breath becomes short and shallow.

There’s a limit to every man’s restraint and this, is coming dangerously close to Jeongguk’s.

“Sometimes... I do this... when you are away…” There are soft whimpers between Taehyung’s mumble, broken and erratic, yet each one earning a pulse from Jeongguk’s .

“What do you think about?”

“You... of course...” a hast glance, those pretty brown eyes, now gleaming with need. “ ‘cept you are always a bit pushier on my mind, a little rougher..”

Both Taehyung’s hands are busy working himself up, and his cheeks are flushed, lips playing between his teeth. His back is arched prettily, and Jeongguk feels the heat pooling inside, culminating and clouding his mind.

“Is that what you want right now? Something rougher?”

“Yes… I think so… to be wrecked, filled…” Taehyung pulls his hands away and takes a deep breath, voice raspy, “can I… I think, I wanna…”

Jeongguk eyes him darkly, “what do you want, baby, this is your game.”

His chest is heaving with each breath, eyes bashful, “hold on…”

Jeongguk watches as he crawls off bed, and after rummaging through the luggage, saunters back with a bottle of lube. He simpers, “man you are lucky I didn’t pack all the toys.”

Jeongguk can’t help but chuckle. Agreed. He shifts his stiff torso, and responds as nonchalantly as he could manage, “what’s next, how long you planning on going with this, because you know once you untie me-“

His words are cut off as Taehyung’s hands reach for Jeongguk’s boxer briefs, pulling them off and tossing them to the side. When Taehyung’s fingers grasp onto his hard member, a groan escapes Jeongguk’s lips.

He gives the shaft a few good pumps, thumb pressing into the slit and smearing the wetness. His head dips lower, puckered lips wrapping around Jeongguk’s throbbing , eyes maintaining contact.

. Taehyung always, always gives the best head. The thought flashes through Jeongguk’s mind and evaporates, as the pleasure of Taehyung’s warm mouth and flickering tongue wipes his mind clear.

Oh the things Jeongguk wants to do to him. These stupid ties, making him feel so powerless, so needy. Jeongguk bucks his hips and imagines slipping through the restrains and shoving Taehyung into the bed, ing into him and releasing all the pent up need.

To make him pay for this. That there’s a price for being such a ing tease.

Jeongguk grimaces and tugs on the ties hard again, feeling the growing stiffness of his limbs.

Taehyung gives a lewd pop and looks up, hands reaching for the lube, “what did I say, so impatient.”

“, Tae-“

“I know, I know. I’m gonna get it when I let you off.” The pink that dusts his cheeks deepens. “I can’t wait, Guk… just thinking about it makes me so…”

He his lips and squeezes some lube on his palms, then reaches for Jeongguk’s again.

“Oh god, you are so hard,” Taehyung sighs and wet his lips. “Oh baby, I’m… can I..” he’s moving closer, eyes staring into Jeongguk, voice pleading, anticipating. His hands fist into the wrinkled sheets, wiping off the slickness, and hover back to loop around Jeongguk’s neck.

They are so close now, Taehyung’s hot breath fanning the side of his face, body clinging onto his. Jeongguk musters his last bit of control to sound unaffected, “Tae, you’re slurring, use your words.”

“Can I - oh god -“ his hips grind into Jeongguk absently, legs open and straddling his torso. The agonizing friction makes Jeongguk moan out loud, each small unhinging him, making him desperately want to break free and resume control.

Taehyung kisses by his ear, soft strands of hair tickling his skin. His words are breathed into the kisses, whispers that make him shiver and lose his mind.

“I wanna ride your until I come? Please?”

“Do it, . Now.”

Taehyung fumbles and tugs onto his , sitting upright and easing into it.

When Jeongguk starts to penetrate him, Taehyung’s ruddy lips part and eyes grow wide, “ohhh…”

The feeling, of the warmth and slickness, of being enveloped whole by him, makes Jeongguk groan out loud. Every synapse is firing in his body, yearning to move, to into him and claim him.

But with stuttered breath, he holds still. This is Taehyung’s game, he lets him play.

Slowly Taehyung starts to move, hands staying by his neck, legs apart and shaky. His lips stay by Jeongguk’s face, a string of whimpers falling out like the most exquisite music he’s ever heard.

“Does it - does it feel good?” The words tickle Jeongguk’s skin, as waves of pleasure assault his senses in sync to Taehyung’s s. His voice is breathless and keen, trying so hard to please, “am I doing ok?”

“Perfect, you’re doing so ing well… oh god Tae, just lemme off the ties please baby, lemme you for real? Rough and hard… just the way you wanted?”

Taehyung bites into his lower lip and focuses, “just a bit longer, I can do this... wanna come on my own, wanna prove that I can do it…” he screws his eyes shut for a moment, trying hard to control the movement that’s slowly becoming more erratic.

Jeongguk can smell his strawberry chapstick, see the tiny beads of sweat that’s wetting his hair and clumping it onto his face. Taehyung looks wrecked, mesmerizing in his disheveled way, silk shirt stained and sliding off one shoulder, his own hard and rubbing onto Jeongguk’s abdomen with each , precum dripping and wetting his skin. And his movements, erratic in pace, slow and fast and slow. The motion is unpredictable in the most agonizing way. His eyes are blown out, each hot breath fanning his ear, words slurring and incoherent, begging and teasing at the same time.

Jeongguk feels like snapping at any moment now, just losing it like a ing teenager and coming all over Taehyung and ending the exquisite torture. But he grits his teeth, bearing through how Taehyung clenches onto him with every bounce, hitching his breath and refusing to give in.

Taehyung wants to come first on his own and he’ll be damned if his baby doesn’t get his way.

He breathes out when Taehyung whispers again, and whining, legs weakened and torso leaning into Jeongguk, stretching out his already sore arms above his head, “oh god… oh , I think I’m close… I want you to touch me so ing bad… want to come into your hand…”

Jeongguk pushes himself up and feels the increased friction between his abdomen and Taehyung’s hard member, “whatever you want, baby, anything you want…”

Taehyung shifts and whines instantaneously as Jeongguk can’t help but buck up and hit him in the perfect spot, “hnggg… so close.. tell me I’ve been good, please?”

Jeongguk turns his head and peppers Taehyung with kisses, tangling his legs around his back, “so ing pretty, you look so good and ride me so well...”

Taehyung beams as his movement turns faster. His whole torso is leaning onto Jeongguk now, who continues to rasp everything he wants to do to him. His ing is becoming more desperate, searching, shivering every time he hits the perfect spot, wimpers getting louder and more obscene.

“Come for me, baby. I know you want to, so badly.”

The words seem to hit Taehyung like a spell, his face is scrunched up, sweat coating golden skin, and his limbs grow stiff and breath starting to hiccup. His hands are holding onto the bedpost, and the white ropes gush out, painting Jeongguk’s abdomen.

As Taehyung collapses onto his chest, Jeongguk winces at the sore arms that are still stretched out but dips his head lower to nudge at Taehyung. He can feel Taehyung beaming, body pliant and boneless.

“Wanna let me off now?”

“Yeah.” He’s panting, breath still erratic, but reaches up to loosen the ties. Jeongguk feels the stings on his arms as he lowers them and allows circulation to rush back.

He pushes himself up and wraps his stiff arms around Taehyung. Finally, the embrace settles him after the prolonged restraint.

Taehyung whines when he pulls out.

“But you made a mess.” Jeongguk teases, earning a pout.

“Lemme do it.” Taehyung reaches for the tissues by the nightstand and starts to wipe the wetness off Jeongguk’s abdomen. With eyes still blown out and limbs soft, he’s half resting on his body and gives the skin a teasing .

Jeongguk shivers. pulses again when Taehyung dips lower and gives it a long careful .

“So about that punishment…” Taehyung’s coy voice trails off.

“What you got in mind.”

“Anything you want.”

Jeongguk signs and responds slowly, “Can we just spoon?”

An arched brow, “that’s it? That’s my punishment?”

“Hey, a man wants what he wants.” Jeongguk sighs. He thinks of holding onto Taehyung, enveloping his long slender frame and claiming it all to himself, and wishes for nothing more.

A grin play by Taehyung’s lips, as he leans in for a kiss. His lips are moist and warm, and Jeongguk feels a million little specks of tenderness spreading in his heart. Taehyung turns around and guides him with his hand, facing turning with a little pout, “come in me please?”

Jeongguk nods and embraces him, feeling the delicious pressure around him as he slowly slides in. The heat of Taehyung’s flushed skin against his chest, the way his hand fists into the sheets, the moment is gentle and comforting. All his frustrations evaporate, replaced by sweet contentment, and the feeling of everything finally as it should be.

Jeongguk comes quickly, wallowing in the fleeing high where all thoughts are silenced. Eventually, he’s dragged back to his thoughts when Taehyung’s hands grab onto his, pulling his arms around and curling in.

“Wanna take a bath?” Jeongguk offers.

He feels Taehyung’s head shake, soft strands of his locks tickling into the crook of his neck. “Just stay for a bit? It’s nice…” a whisper of a response, but Jeongguk hears him and complies.

His body is worn out but sated. He thinks of the red streaks on his wrists and wonders if they will fade by tomorrow. “Getting too old for this, so out of shape. can’t punish you properly anymore.”

A chuckle, and Taehyung tightens their intertwined fingers, “you’re getting soft, old man.”

“Yep, over the hills. Are you gonna ditch me soon, now that I’m losing my good looks?”

“Hmm, valid point, I was in this for your rockin body…” Taehyung respond, voice drowsy.

Jeongguk chuckles and finds his mind drifting.

It’s true, the crinkles around his eyes are getting deeper, and once in a while, Taehyung would pick out a silver strand in his hair and about it.

Time is the ultimate commodity we all spend, and Jeongguk feels the urgency, to catch up for lost years, and make sense of his place in the world.

The three year he spent away went by in such a blink that it made him afraid he’d have nothing to show for at the end of it all. Multiple cities, different organizations and startups, none felt right. His heart yearned for something, yet when it was time for execution, it was almost impossible to capture what he’s truly looking for.

Something that helps people in the most critical stage of their life, something selfless but also efficient and utilizes his skills in finance and investing. Different structures, different industries, he kept trying and kept failing.

The days flew by but made the nights seem excruciatingly long. It was hard to kill the thought, that he made a mistake, giving up all he’s ever had to chase after a feeling in his heart. He missed bouncing ideas off Yoongi, missed the thrill of one success after another, no matter how hollow they all seemed now. And most of all, he missed home.

The only home he’s truly belonged to, rooted squarely in the heart of another.

The thoughts always creeped onto his mind when he’s drifting off to sleep, his defence weakened, heart vulnerably open. The memories of warm skin, soft lips, and the fingers that always clung to him, curling onto his arm.

And the worst part of it all, is that he knows Taehyung felt the same way, had it worse than him. He gave Jeongguk the freedom to explore and venture out, while he tied himself down with a promise that he would never gain anything from. A promise meant to ease Jeongguk’s guilty conscience, to support him on his endeavour.

It was completely selfless, just like the love Taehyung has taught him to hold in his own heart.

By the third year, things finally started to take shape. He started to piece everything together - not an investment, or even a company of his own. Nothing that profits from the ideas, it taints the principles of it all. What he’s better at doing, is being a consultant, bridging the companies with like minded ideas with the right investors. To utilize his skills as an advisor, a third party.

Once the mechanism is sorted out, everything started to flow much better. He started small, alone and helping only one or two companies at a time, mostly startups with some charitable components. When he felt more sure of everything, he added a small office and a few helps. It’s still an unassuming place to this day, as he works remotely most of the time, nothing as impressive as what he had with Yoongi. But it’s perfect, a small seed that grows with his nurture and passion, untainted by the opinions and needs of others.

Jeongguk wasn’t sure if he should find his way back to Taehyung. It’s hard to hurt the person you love more than once, it felt cruel to both of them. But once he was back in contact with Yoongi and Namjoon, they wouldn’t have it any other way. “, he denies waiting for you but his heart is on hold, like he’s mourning the ing dead. You can’t do this to him, Guk. I demand something better for both of you.” Yoon was blunt about it, in his usual ways.

So like an idiot, he lingered around Ventura, not having the guts to face him, but feeling his mind drawn towards it constantly. Stuck and in limbo. Until that fateful day, when the sun was dipping low in the sky and lit up the crashing waves with the perfect hue of shimmery gold.

Jeongguk made a promise to himself that day, that he would do everything in his abilities to never make Taehyung cry again.

He was afraid, so afraid of messing it up, each hug, every kiss made his fear deeper. But Taehyung has his ways, of slowly easing his concerns and building back up the home for two.

Jeongguk learned that love doesn’t have to be dependent and about giving and taking, and that two people sharing a life together can work as a team. Taehyung is perfect with the kids, fills the house with warmth and laughters, like a proper home. They do argue and bicker, it’s only natural - there are bound to be clashes when you grow together. They don’t agree on how to discipline the kids, and Taehyung guards family time religiously, not afraid to give Jeongguk a lecture over the phone if he travels for longer than a few days for work.

“Max says I don’t read the books to him the same way you do. Guk, you better not miss Sunday dinner at home, don’t make the kids sad please.”

Conflicts are a part of being a family, as much as joy and the sense of belonging. Jeongguk has always avoided confrontations, having grown up to hate them, but he’s learning slowly, that they can also be a healthy way of reaching a balance.

His meandering thoughts are interrupted by Taehyung’s voice in the dark, “I can literally feel your mind going a hundred miles an hour next to me. You know I can't fall asleep when you do that.” He complains, but voice fond.

Jeongguk grins and leans in for a kiss by his hair, “I thought you were sleeping already. Well, ready for a bath now?”

A pause, and he could feel Taehyung scrunching up his nose cutely in the dark, “hmm, I guess. Only if the water is the perfect temperature and you carry me to it…”

Another kiss, “deal. And if you aren't sleepy afterwards, maybe we can watch a movie with a bottle of wine.”

Taehyung turns around quickly, “ohhh! You are outdoing yourself, I gotta say. You know I’ll pick a sappy flick right? Promise you won’t fall asleep this time?”

Jeongguk slaps his lightly, “no promises. But I’ll watch whatever you pick.”

Taehyung is beaming, like a sunflower facing towards the sun, and plants a soft kiss on his lips, whispering, “love you…”

Such simple two words, uttered countless times over the past few years, yet it fills his heart with gratitude every single time. As Taehyung’s hands clasp onto him in the dark, Jeongguk realizes, that love is not something that ties him down, but an anchor that grounds him, so he can soar with the quiet confidence of belonging.

Jeongguk intertwined their fingers together, and breathes into Taehyung’s skin, heart filled with the millions of unspoken thoughts shared between the two of them, “love you too…”

Love - splendid, unconditional, as eternal as the crashing waves of the sea.