Chapter 43

If We Are Meant to be Together

 

Seo Jin was determined to get into the team for the Summer League this year. Even after the training camp had ended, he kept coming back to the school to practice on his own. Coincidentally, Wooyoung also had the same habit. They had been practicing together for the past several days. Sometimes, Surok would join them too but today he was not around.

 

“Did Minsun sunbae give you a call?” Seo Jin asked. They were taking a break, the two boys sitting at the bleachers.

 

“She did, a couple of days ago. She told me that her mother has been getting better.”

 

Seo Jin nodded.

 

“She called me too last night.”

 

“She did?”

 

“She asked me to tell my father about her. She wants to see him.”

 

Wooyong nodded.

 

“What did your father said?”

 

“He thought I was kidding. I showed him her pictures on that blog, told him everything that had happened to her. He was taken aback at first, but he seems like he really wants to meet her. My father said he is going to pay Minsun’s mother a visit at the hospital today.”

 

“I guess that’s a good thing.”

 

“Yeah, I hope so too.”

 

“What about your mother? Is she okay with this?”

 

“She is glad that Minsun sunbae wants to meet my father. My father secretly had been tormented by the thought that he left his daughter.”

 

Wooyoung gulped down some water from his tumbler. He offered the tumbler to the younger guy, and Seo Jin accepted graciously.

 

“If everything turns out fine, then Minsun will be your sister, right?”

 

Seo Jin’s eyes widened, “ah, right! I haven’t thought that far. I shouldn’t address her as sunbae anymore. I should call her ‘noona’,” Seo Jin laughed. “Man, that needs some getting used to. I mean, I barely know her.”

 

“I know. She’s not easy to understand too. Trust me. Later on, she’ll start getting big headed and goes around bullying everyone.”

 

“Did you get bullied dby her too, captain?” Seo Jin smiled, trying hard to not laugh. That didn’t go without a hard knock on his head. Seo Jin rubbed the top of his head, grunting in pain.

 

“Me? Bullied by her? Hah! I’m the one who taught her everything!”

 

-

 

Minsun was reading quietly by her mother’s side when she suddenly heard the older woman lying on the bed next to her chuckled.

 

“Mother? Why are you awake?” Minsun instantly put the book down at the side table. She scooted her chair closer to her mother and adjusted the blanket on the older woman’s body, making sure she was properly covered.

 

“Do you need anything?” Minsun asked gently.

 

“Oh, no. Nothing at all,” Jihee brushed her off with a light wave ogf her hand. She was actually feeling content to see her daughter next to her every time she opened her eyes. She had wasted so many years to appreciate the blessing that came along with her only, precious child. She had never felt this way before, but now it was almost unbelievable how much Minsun gave her strength just by being there by her side. It was true when people said, children are blessings from God.

 

Minsun pressed her fingers on Jihee’s head and neck, checking on her mother’s body temperature. Jihee had been down with fever a couple of days ago. Minsun worked so hard at trying to keep the temperature down. She stayed up all night to press wet clothes on Jihee’s head and all over her body and made sure Jihee drank enough water.

 

“I’m fine, sweetie. You can continue reading,” Jihee told her. All she wanted to do at the moment was just to look at Minsun’s face until she was sick of it, but that was impossible too.

 

“You’re still a bit warm,” Minsun told her.

 

“I’ll be better in no time. I’m strong, you know?”

 

Minsun smiled; glad to know that her mother was in good spirit. Minsun sunk back into her chair. She was reaching for her book when suddenly a couple of door knocks were heard. Both of them turned their heads towards the door. After a while, a figure appeared from behind the wall of the small foyer. He was tall with a buff built. A good looking guy in his mid-forties with sharp looking eyes, strong jaw and high cheekbones. Minsn still remembered that face, and apparently, her mother did too.

 

“Hanbin...” Jihee whispered.

 

-

 

The adults both requested Minsun to wait outside while they both had a private talk. Minsun sat on one of the benches at the courtyard, her book in her hand. She didn’t feel like reading though; because her mind kept traveled back about her father. She supposed he came out to meet her as well. She got a little nervous thinking about the things she should talk about with him later. Honestly, she had no idea. She didn’t know what to expect from this meeting. However, she kept telling herself to rest assured, because Seo Jin told her her that her father had been trying to look for her the past years.

 

“Do you live around here?” JIhee asked. Hanbin nodded. He felt a bit awkward to be honest. He couldn’t remember the last time they both talked to each other, but he was sure they didn’t separate on good terms. Jihee quickly turned greedy about her business not long after Minsun was born. She kept downgrading Hanbin by mentioning how he didn’t have higher education qualification, and was useless and a burden to the family. Hanbin left during the height of their argument. Jihee had changed by that time. She was no longer sweet nor charming the way she was when he first fell in love with her. All she ever thought about back then was money, asking for more and more from the young, bad tempered Hanbin.

 

“Yeah. In fact very close by to Minsun’s previous school. Funny how close we were, and yet I failed to meet my own daughter.”

 

“How did you know about us? Minsusn didn’t talk anything about you with me.”

 

“The basketball team of that school often dines at my restaurant. Those boys are really close with Minsun. I heard a lot about you from her friends too.”

 

Jihee chuckled softly.

 

“Then you must not hear much good things. I’ve had Minsun under my care all these years and yet I have never even talked to her friends.”

 

They both fell in the silence for a few moment, regretting their own selfishness back then. Hanbin sighed before he broke the silence.

 

“Jihee, I heard about your divorce and your company too.” Hanbin’s deep voice, usually booming out loud in his restaurant, was gentle and comforting this time.

 

“A shame, huh? Turned out you were right all along. You already saw this seventeen years earlier.”

 

Hanbin sighed and shook his head. “That’s all in the past now.”

 

“You’re right. They all are. I might be seventeen years late, but I’m glad things turn out this way after all. I’ve never realized how precious Minsun is until now.”

 

“That’s great to hear.”

 

“Hanbin... I know this is too late but, I’m sorry.”

 

Hanbin nodded lightly.

 

“I’m sorry too.”

 

-

 

Minsun was tired of waiting, and she couldn’t bring herself to read either so she finally stood up from the bench and walked around the courtyard. There weren’t much people in the courtyard today, so it had been really quiet. She could hear the calm breeze, and the faint noise of click-clacks of nurses’ shoes from the hallway. She felt relaxed. In fact, it was the first time she had felt relaxed after a long time. Maybe because she had always been worried about something but right now things were slowly untangling themselves, one by one.

 

Minsun paused in the middle of her walk when she saw a small flower in the middle of trimmed bushes. Probably a wild flower which managed to settle amongst the rest of the well taken plants in the garden. Minsun crouched in front of it, and snapped a picture with her cell phone.

 

“Minsun?”

 

A deep voice called out her name.

 

Minsun stood up and turned around. Just as she had expected, it was Seo Hanbin, her father. Minsun stayed quiet. She was still not quite sure how to address the man.

 

“Let’s have a walk,” he offered, smiling handsomely. Minsun nodded. The tall, large man placed himself next to her, and they began to walk.

 

“How are you doing?” He asked. Weird, Minsun thought. It felt as if she was charmed, like she had turned into a little girl. She thought his smile was charming. He looked so handsome, she wanted to stare at him all the time. She would have done that if she wasn’t too shy to do so.

 

“I’m fine. Always been,” she answered carefully.

 

“I heard a lot about you from Jin. Is everything okay now?”

 

“Well, aside from mother’s situation, everything is turning out well these days,” Minsun smiled, trying not to worry him or anything.

 

Hanbin nodded, still smiling.

 

“You might not remember me, but I still remember you when you were this small,” he folded his arm, the way a person would to hold a baby; “I can even hold you with one arm. I’ve never imagined the day I would see you like this. All grown-up and tall like this. A little bit too thin, though.”

 

They both laughed lightly together. Minsun clasped her fingers together on her stomach, her cheeks turned a radiant pink from embarrassment. She wasn’t sure why, but she did.

 

“You were so round back then. Whenever I held you, I felt so happy, I didn’t want to let go. But that was all I could remember about you. Our marriage... The relationship between your mother and I quickly hit rock bottom soon after. I wasn’t sure how that happened, but it happened anyway. It could be your mother’s fault, it could also be me, being young and hot blooded. But one thing I am sure of is that I left. I left you.”

 

Hanbin stopped walking all of a sudden. Minsun was already a step ahead when she realized so she quickly stopped as well and turned around to face him. He had a look of regret on his face, rooted deep under his handsome smile.

 

“I feel like I need to explain. We lost contact not long after that. I tried to look for you, so many times, but... I don’t know. Maybe God was playing games with me or what, but we never happened to cross path, despite being so close to each other these past years. Minsun, I know that you’ve gone through a lot. I... I’m sorry for not being there for you. Will you forgive me?”

 

A grown man, asking for forgiveness from a young girl, from his daughter. Minsun wasn’t even sure if he made a mistake, if he did her wrong, but they didn’t matter anymore. She was just glad that they met, and he didn’t hate her or anything. Those were the only things she was concerned about.

 

“There was no need to apologize... I... I don’t think I, um...” Minsun chuckled awkwardly, “I don’t know how to explain this, but... It wasn’t your fault. It wasn’t anyone’s fault.”   

 

Hanbin took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. He cupped her small face in his large, warm hands. He smiled big, probably the biggest he had ever smiled, but warm tears were collecting in his eyes. Minsun on the other hand, was totally flushed from the overwhelming emotions. She might seem calm, but she had tears in her eyes too.

 

“You’re not my daughter,” he told her. Minsun’s eyes widened. Her brows furrowed into a deep frown, but Hanbin was still smiling. Her heart skipped  a beat. She wasn’t?

 

“I’m pretty sure you’re not my daughter,” Hanbin repeated and then continued after a short pause, “you must be an angel. My beautiful, sweet little angel.”

 

Minsun heaved a relieved sigh. She laughed bashfully right after. She fully realized how much she wanted this to happen. To be someone’s daughter, to have a handsome, kind, warm father like him.

 

“But can I claim you as my daughter?”

 

Minsun nodded in his hands.

 

“Can I hug you?”

 

Minsun nodded again.

 

“Yes, of course you can.”

 

“Thank you.” He said and then pulled her slim frame towards him, burying her into his thick arms, against his thick, sturdy built. He hugged her tight, it was almost suffocating for her, but it was the best feeling she had ever felt.

 

Ah, so this is how it feels. To be hugged by a father.

 

He was so warm, so comfortable. She couldn’t believe that this was happening. She wished someone could pinch her so she knew that she wasn’t dreaming.

 

“Thank you so much, Minsun.”

 

Minsun nodded on his chest. Tears burst out as if she had never cried in her whole life. Hanbin rubbed his warm hands on her back. It was unbelievable how nice that felt.

 

They had lunch together later on. Minsun’s mother sat in her wheelchair, and the three of them had lunch at the cafeteria. Hanbin was someone who was easy to be close with. Minsun had grown fond of him even though the time spent with him was so short. His deep voice was charming. He laughed and smiled a lot. He was funny and a little annoying at times; when he . Minsun had heard of this before, that every girl’s first love is her father. She agreed, even though Hanbin was definitely not her first love, but she was in love with him already.

 

Hanbin left after he gave Minsun a kiss on her head and another hug. He invited her for dinner at his house the next day. Minsun was worried that it would be awkward and uncomfortable dining with a group of strangers, but Jihee encouraged her to go anyway. It turned out that it wasn’t uncomfortable at all. Everyone was warm and nice. Hanbin’s wife, Ara was somewhat similar to Minsun, gentle and quiet, but she made it very comfortable for Minsun. Seo Jin, or Jinnie (Minsun thought his given name was Seo Jin, but turned out Seo was his surname and he was given a one syllable name, Jin) was similar to his father, loud and funny and friendly. A bit annoying as well, but Hanbin gave him a fist on the head everytime the young boy became one. And then his younger sister - which made that her half-sister - Hanbyul, was a thirteen year old little sweetie. She was bubbly and friendly, and was thrilled that she had an older sister now. Seemed like Jin liked to tease (note:bully) her a bit too much.

 

Minsun could never be happier.

 

-

 

Wooyoung gave Jihee a visit that morning. It was the first time he met Minsun’s mother. It was supposed to be a casual visit from her daughter’s friend, but from some reason, he was feeling a little anxious. But then, everyone would be under Jihee’s hawk-like eyes, scrutinizing him up and down. Jihee’s relationship with Minsun might have improved by a long shot, but she was still the stern, calculating mother she was when it comes to her daughter.

 

“Ah, I am currently the captain of the basketball team at Miryung. Minsun and I used to be classmates,” Wooyoung explained to Jihee. Minsun sat next to him quietly, a little smile dancing on her lips as she watched Wooyoung grew nervous in front of her mother.

 

“I see. I heard the previous captain was one of the best students at Miryung. What about you? How’s your grade?” Jihee asked before she sipped on the warm ginseng drink Wooyoung brought for her.

 

“My... my grades...” Wooyoung cleared his throat. He managed to steal a millisecond glance at Minsun. She was looking at the floor, trying not to laugh. Is she enjoying this?

 

“My grades are a bit... humble,”

 

Minsun almost burst out laughing, but she barely managed to stop herself from doing so.

 

Jihee cleared , causing Minsun to quickly regain her composure. Jihee still remembered Wooyoung from the incident at the perfume launch party, also from when he saved Minsun from Joongki if her memory didn’t fail her. Minsun had never talked about him to her so Jihee had little idea how close they were. They seemed pretty close, but Jihee had a suspicion that they might also be closer than they seemed. She wasn’t planning to find that out for the time being though. She believed Minsun will talk to her about it when she was ready.

 

“A student’s responsible is to study. If he can’t carry out that sole responsible well, what does that makes him?”

 

Wooyoung nodded and gulped.

 

“I guess it’s fine if he works hard at other things too,” Jihee added later, her tone softer than before. She was just teasing him, she didn’t meant to be mean to him or anything.

 

“That’s right!” Wooyoung almost jumped from his seat, too eager to emphasize his agreement on Jihee’s latter point. The older woman smiled and took another sip of the home made brew.

 

Wooyoung was surprised that Jihee didn’t ask further about his connection to Minsun. It didn’t matter though. It wasn’t like they were officially going out. Truthfully, he wasn’t sure himself. Minsun will be leaving to London again next week. It was safe to say they had a special relationship. Something a bit more than a friendship, but a little less than a romantic relationship. They had a short chat afterwards, more like a minor interview of Wooyoung’s background. Wooyoung grew more relaxed as time passed by, sensing that Jihee didn’t have bad impression towards him. Before Wooyoung left, he gave her a rather loud, full of spirit ‘Get well soon!’ cheer, causing the older woman to laugh and grew fond of his childish, bright charm.

 

Minsun walked him to the hospital entrance when Wooyoung was leaving.

 

“Ugh, your mother is scary,” Wooyoung shuddered, rubbing his arms up and down.

 

“Now you know, huh?” Minsun smiled.

 

“Was she even scarier back then?”

 

Minsun nodded.

 

“I know where you got your sadist trait now.”

 

Minsun scoffed, “very funny Jang Wooyoung.”

 

Wooyoung smirked, a bit too proud that he still had the ability to annoy Minsun. He needed to remind her that she wasn’t the only one who can annoy other people.

 

“Hey, Minsun. Do you have anything planned this evening?”

 

Minsun shook her head.

 

“Would you like to... have a date with me?”

 

Minsun pretended likes she was hesitating. She stared at the ceiling and hummed unsurely.

 

“Where are you taking me?”

 

“Nothing special. Anywhere we can chill. The park, or the amusement park if you want a little fun. If you want to hang out at the library that’s fine with me too,” Wooyoung shrugged.

 

Minsun laughed at his suggestion.

 

“I... Want to have ice cream,” she suggested.

 

“Sure.”

 

“Okay, I’ll just go up to tell my mother that I’m going out.”

 

“Okay, I’ll wait for you at the lobby.”

 

When Minsun got back, the two headed out right towards their main destination; an ice cream shop. They decided to take their orders away so they could enjoy the ice cream at the nearby park. There were couples walking together hand in hand and families having picnics around. After they finished their ice creams, they both lied down on the grass and just stared at the blue sky, chatting about trivial things. Minsun told him about her meeting with her father, and the dinner she had together with her new family. Wooyoung told her about her sister’s newborn first child and suddenly changed the topic into how he could form a full English sentence with more than three words in it. Just little things that made them happy like that. In the middle of their conversation, Wooyoung reached for her fingers, and they held hands for a long time, until the sky started to rain. The weather forced them to take shelter under nearby gazebo.

 

Minsun pulled out her handkerchief from her pocket, dabbing it on her wet face and her hair. Later, she offered the cloth to Wooyoung.

 

“Wipe your hair with this,” she gently told him.

 

“No need,” Wooyoung bent down and shook the water off his head with his fingers. He straightened his back again and then plopped himself on the bench. He looked at the sky and frowned.

 

“Out of all day, why does it have to rain this hard today? Tch.”

 

Minsun took a seat next to him.

 

“I don’t mind,” Minsun said.

 

“Of course. You like the rain, right?” Wooyoung sighed, “but I like sitting under the bright sky better.”

 

“But we already did that just now. It’s my turn to enjoy my favorite weather now.”

 

“It would have been okay if I wasn’t wet.”

 

Minsun frowned, “tch, you really complain a lot.”

 

Wooyoung scoffed, “what? Then are you saying you’re fine being wet? The rain looked like it wasn’t to going to stop in another couple of hours and I have to stay in this wet clothes for the whole time. I have the right to complain. So much for enjoying your fav-”

 

Wooyoung immediately shut his mouth up when Minsun abruptly leaned towards him and crushed her lips onto his. Unlike their first kiss, Minsun was bolder this time, gently on his lips and even grazing it with her tongue. His heart almost jumped out from beating too hard, also from the shock at how bold Minsun was. Was she a pro at kissing or what?

 

Minsun slowly leaned away from him after she broke off the kiss. She kept smiling and gazed right into his eyes, looking rather innocent. As if the kiss didn’t happened right before that. But Wooyoung knew too well that she wasn’t that inncoent. If she was, she wouldn’t have boldly plunge into someone else’s lips like that.

 

Wooyoung gulped hard under her gaze.

 

“It isn’t so bad now, right?” She asked.

 

Blood rushed to Wooyoung’s cheeks. Damn, this girl.

 

Minsun looked away from him and stared ahead, lost in her own world as she began to count the rain drops. Her legs swung back and forth, her smile never ceased form her lips. She was truly content, even if she had to let go all of this soon.

 

- - - 

 

sunbae - basically a term used to address a senior at school or certain industry/organization.