Chapter 2

If We Are Meant to be Together

Kisang High School
8.30 a.m.

Gohee pressed the buzzer button when the bus arrived at the third stop away from their school. Minsun who sat by her side got up first and took off from the bus, Gohee following closely behind. Waiting in front of them was a steel gate of a school, opened wide, welcoming outsiders.

There were many people gathered at Kisang High today because of a special reason, despite today being Sunday. There will be a preliminary match today which will determined the representative for Seoul for the coming Summer League, held at the school gym. Truthfully, most people who were present today were actually anticipating the team from Miryung High. Girls from various schools including from outside Seoul came just to catch a glimpse of the good-looking members of Miryung High, especially Taecyeon, the team captain.

“I think more people came compared to last year,” Gohee said as she entered the gym.

“Really?” Minsun asked. “Wah, Miryung really becomes a hit,”

“Don’t you think?” Gohee giggled softly. Gohee looked around to find comfortable empty seats, but her eyes caught their school’s team at one corner. Munhwa and their coach were there too, briefing them on something, most probably for the game strategy. All the boys, including the substitute players were listening intensely. Soon after, the briefing ended and the boys separated to do some warming up. As if sensing Gohee’s eyes on him, Jaebum turned his head towards her direction, and smiled.

Gohee turned to Minsun.

“Minsun-ah, have a seat first.”

Minsun nodded and smiled gently. “Okay,”

Minsun took a seat nearby, and watched Gohee as she jogged towards Jaebum.

“Hey,” Jaebum greeted first.

“Hey.” Gohee stopped about a couple steps away from him. She wasn’t a fan of public display affection, and thus wasn’t all that comfortable showing to others that they both were going out.

“Is everything ready?” Gohee asked as she watched Jaebum tightened his shoelaces.

“Yup,”

“Are you nervous?”

Jaebum got up and bounced a bit to make sure his shoes were comfortable. “Nope. ‘Cuz you’re here.”

Gohee just smiled. “Good luck,”

“Yep,”

“I’ll be watching from there,” Gohee pointed to the seat where Minsun was and was about to turn around and left, but Jaebum caught her hand.

“Is that all?” Jaebum slightly pouted.

“What else is there?” Gohee seemed a bit embarrassed that there were a lot of people aound, probably watching them.

“Ung~” Jay swung Gohee’s hand around, playing cutesy.

“Okay, okay.” Gohee gave up and pulled her hand away from Jaebum. She searched the pocket in her skirt and pulled out a handkerchief. Jaebum smiled wide, showing off his straight white teeth.

Jaebum stretched out his left hand even without being told to. Gohee pretended to be mad and gave him mean eyes, but she took his hand anyway and wrapped the cream colored handkerchief around his wrist.

“You didn’t even return the last one,” Gohee complained as she tightened the tie.

“I’m not planning to,”

“Che,” Gohee smiled again. “Nappun nom,”

“I know,”

“Do your best,”

“I will,”

Jaebum returned with the rest of the boys for their shout, while Gohee took her seat by Minsun’s side. Minsun was still smiling after watching the interaction between Jaebum and Gohee. She thought that they made an ideal pair, they looked perfect together, that she got a little envious at times.




It was only the preliminary round, but the match was intense. However, victory have yet left Miryung’s side. The players from Kisang seemed pissed especially at the fact that most girls that came to watch were supporting for Miryung.

When all the players got back at the benches, Munhwa became the busiest person. She distributed water and towels to everyone and made sure that they weren’t hurt during the game. Most of the boys quickly retreated to the changing room.

“Munhwa!” Wooyoung cried, which alarmed the girl. Munhwa looked up and saw Wooyoung sitting on the floor, holding onto his ankle, looking very pained.

“Wooyoung!” Munhwa rushed to his side and crouched, “Did you hurt your ankle?”

“Yeah. I tried to held it in earlier, but it’s becoming unbearable!”

“You should have told me earlier!”

At the same time, Minsun who left for the toilet earlier paused her steps when she saw the whole basketball team in front of her. Seemed like something happened that there was a little commotion going on.

“Munhwa!”

“Yes?!” Munhwa looked up again when she heard the coach’s voice.

“Get us some ice pack! Chansung’s knee is swollen!”

“Y-Yes, sir!”

Munhwa looked back at Wooyoung and stalled a bit because she wasn’t sure what to do.

“W-Wooyoung-ah, can you wait a bit?” Munhwa got up.

“Yah, I’m hurt!” Wooyoung protested and held onto her hand, not letting her go.

Munhwa scratched her head that her hair became messy. She had to prepare the icepack for Chansung and had to get the first aid kid for both him and Wooyoung. She was sure that she brought the kit there with her but she wondered where it was right now when she needed them. Probably one of the boys brought them back into the locker room? The coach would be angry if he knew this happened.

Minsun decided to step in when she saw how troubled Munhwa looked.

“Do you need any help?”

Munhwa and Wooyoung turned to Minsun. They each knew Minsun, just not so well. She had always been a quiet person, despite them all being in the same class with her. However, Minsun was not a stranger to them at all, because she nevar failed at attending each of their basketball matches. They both were surprised in the beginning that Minsun had interest in basketball when she practicaly ignored everything at school.

“Oh, Minsun! I was wondering if you could get the first aid kit for us? I can be so careless sometimes!”

“Sure, no problem,”

“No, you can’t!” Wooyoung quickly shouted.

“Why not?” Munhwa asked.

“Because…she didn’t know where the female changing room is!”

“The kit is in female changing room? How do you know? I usually left them with one of the boys,” Munhwa asked naturally since she never remembered leaving things at the female changing room.

“Uh… I guess? Because the others said they didn’t see it anywhere. But that’s not the point! The point is-”

“Actually, I do know where the female changing room is,” Minsun slipped in. “I saw it on the way to the toilet,”

“Then, Minsun, I’ll leave Wooyoung to you. Please!” Munhwa sprinted towards the exit to get more ice from the cafeteria.

For some reason, Wooyoung looked extremely uneasy when Minsun ignored his warning and went towards the changing room.




Passing some female students who waited for the boys along the narrow hallway with flower and letters in their hands, Minsun entered the female changing which was empty at the time and started to look around for a white box. And then, in-between rows of lockers her eyes spotted a white box lying at a bench at the farthest corner of the room. Minsun started to make her way towards the first aid kit.

“Oh, Munhwa. Were you looking for the first aid kit?” A deep voice greeted Minsun from behind.

Minsun who managed to grab the box first turned around in surprise to hear a male voice in the female changing room. The box fell and broke open.

“GAH!YOU’RENOTMUNHWA!” The basketball team captain shouted in surprise, more so because he was half-. His hands flew to his chest and firm abs, awkwardly covering them up.

A frog jumped out of the kit.

“GAH!”
“AAAH!”

Taecyeon jumped to the side when the frog jumped towards him.

He hit Minsun.

Which made her lost her balance.

So he caught her so that she didn’t fell backwards.

But he got pulled down by her instead.

And Taecyeon ended up lying on top of her.

And yes, he was half-.

“What? What happened?”
“Did you hear those noises?”
“Let’s check it out!”

The door flung open, a group of fangirls rushed in.

*GASP!*

“OH MY GOD…”
“What’s going on in here!”

*SNAP!*
*CLICK!*

“Hey! Stop taking pictures!” Taecyeon shouted while making an attempt to get himself off Minsun.

“What’s going on here?” Jaebum made way through the gossipy female students and took a look inside the female changing room.

“Jaebum, stop those girls!” Taecyeon shouted as he helped Minsun up. Minsun looked like she was about to burst into tears. Her face was as red as chilli, her eyes gleaming with tears.

Jaebum told the girls to leave the place at once and closed the door shut. He walked to Taecyeon, and stared unbelievably at the scene in front of him. Half- Taecyeon and near-tears Minsun.

“Now, can you tell me what exactly is going on here, Ok Taecyeon?”

 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

 

*Nappun nom - bad guy. I dunno, it feels weird if I put this phrase in English? XD