Chapter 3

If We Are Meant to be Together

It had been a week since Minsun started using the gym for her after school studies and club meetings. Since then, she had been taking the bus home together with Wooyoung too. At first Wooyoung thought that Minsun was just scared and wanted to be with him on the way home too, but apparently, it was just coincidental that Minsun rode the same bus. In fact, they had been taking the same bus from the past couple of years. Minsun mentioned him how she always saw him on the farthest backseat while she preferred the most front seat and that Wooyoung was just being ignorant that he didn’t realize her existence before. The boy sure was embarrassed when Minsun told him that with a straight face and then laughed at him when he was embarrassed.

However, lately, Minsun didn’t see him taking the bus with her in the morning. But when she was on the way to school, she saw him with the rest of the basketball players clad in their training suit, jogging together around the neighborhood singing their school anthem from the top of their lungs. It was normal that these boys came to school earlier than everybody else every morning to practice, especially during the game season.

Both Minsun and Wooyoung found out that there wasn’t much bullying occurred too, if not at all, so the boy was extremely glad that his plan was working.

But today would probably be different.




After the morning practice, all the boys took showers and get ready for their classes. Wooyoung was the first to finish so he left first, with an ear-to-ear smile on his face on the way to his classroom. His mood was extremely good today. It was Monday, and he started the day with a good work out with his closest friends, and he didn’t have to worry about Minsun anymore.

“Good morning everybody!” Wooyoung chirped as he entered his classroom, but apparently, the whole class wasn’t in the same mood with his. In fact the air felt broody and heavy. Everybody was in silence, looking at one direction.

At that one direction, there was a girl who was crouching, quietly picking up her torn textbooks on the floor and put it back inside her desk. Her desk was heavily vandalized with rude words of permanent marker stains.

Wooyoung couldn’t believe what he was seeing. He slowly stepped closer to Minsun, and the words on the desk became readable as he got close.

‘!’
‘Don’t touch our Wooyoung!’
‘Leave Taec alone!’
‘DIE!’

“What happened?”

Minsun looked up at Wooyoung, who seemed very worried. She weakly smiled at him.

“Nothing. Everything’s fine,”

“Who… Who did this? Was it those girls again?” Wooyoung clenched his teeth as anger slowly seeped into him. “If it’s them, I swear I’ll-”

“Jang Wooyoung,” Minsun said softly but yet firm. Her previous smile totally erased from her gentle face, replaced with an expression which showed how unpleasant she was feeling at his offer of help. 

“Please, just stop,” Minsun said after she tore her eyes away from Wooyoung and continued to clean up the mess around her desk.

It was the first time he ever faced such conflict. It was different from when Munhwa was sulking because of his prank. He didn’t know what to do. He just stood there, and watched her with guilt, just like everybody else in the room.




2.00 p.m.

The students were packing up their stuffs to go home. Wooyoung was the same too. As he flung his bagpack on one shoulder, he walked towards Munhwa’s desk. She still hadn’t finished packing up.

“Let’s go to the gym,” he said, his face lacked if emotions.

“Just a sec,”

“Ppalli.” He seemed a little impatient when his eyebrows slightly frowned but tried not to show it too much. Munhwa guessed he wasn’t in the best mood, but she could only wonder why.

“What about Minsun?” Munhwa turned her head to look at the back, where Minsun was doing her cleaning duty. Her head was held low as she swiped the floor. Munhwa was sure that Minsun could hear the conversation between Wooyoung and her but for some reason she didn’t showed any response.

“Let’s just leave first,” Wooyoung said, not even looking at Munhwa. His eyes were glued at the door, as if he wanted to escape from the classroom as soon as possible.

“Why? Is something wrong, Wooyoung?” Munhwa asked out of concern.

Wooyoung softly grunted. 

“Why do you always have so many questions?” He said angrily and then left in a rush.

“Hey! I was just… Ugh. Fine, be a jerk,” Munhwa muttered under her breath as she slowly followed Wooyoung’s trail of steps. At the doorframe, Munhwa paused to turn around to steal a glance at Minsun, whose movements had paused. She was staring at the floor while still holding onto the broom.

“Minsun, I’ll be leaving first. You’re coming too, right?”

Minsun was still hiding her face, not moving, and not talking at all. Munhwa suspected that it had something to do with the harassment this morning, and Wooyoung too. Munhwa thought she will ask him later at the gym and left.




“Hello everybody,” Wooyoung greeted moodily as he placed his sling back on the bench. The others nodded and smiled at him, but Taecyeon who was tying the laces of his sports shoes looked around.

“Minsun is not coming today?” He asked. Wooyoung had no respond, leaving the question hanging in the air. Munhwa who felt awkward at Wooyon’s lack of response quicky jumoed to the rescue before Taecyeon started getting suspicious.

“We left first because she was on cleaning duty today.”

Taecyeon nodded, but he didn’t seemed satisfied. Something was bothering him.

“Is she really going to be okay, being left alone?” Taecyeon again directed the question at Wooyoung to receive the same response. 

The air around them started to change at Taecyeon’s last question. It felt weird. Usually the two weren’t like that. Was Taecyeon angry? Why was Wooyoung so silent? Were they fighting?

“S-sunbae… I’ll go back and check on her,” Munhwa suggested.

“No. Munhwa, you stay here,” Taecyeon turned to Jaebum. “Jae, can you start the practice first?”

“Sure. Where are you-”

“Wooyoung.”

Wooyoung finally looked at Taecyeon. HE didn’t think Taecyeon was angry looking at his expresion. He looked worried and restless instead, as if something bad was happening to Minsun.

“Come with me. We’re going to look for Minsun.”




He actually didn’t manage to see the actual pictures when it was put up on the main notice board. However, the scandalous pictures between Minsun and Taecyeon began circulating around the net soon after. And the whole bullying didn’t get around until this morning, most probably because nobody wants to get involved and put themselves in danger. But now that most fangirls who came to hate Minsun had come together, they were more aggressive. Nichkhun knew about the incident regarding Minsun this morning because he managed to find the girls who did it and took them to the discipline teacher himself and they probably had been punished already. 

Usually, Nichkhun was supposed to get home early for his private lessons, but he skipped today just to see Minsun and acquire the truth from her.

From afar, Nichkhun could see Minsun walking towards the incinerator, bringing the garbage bin along with her. Nichkhun was about to call her name when suddenly, a rush of water fell onto Minsun, soaking her through within seconds. Before she could even look up and see whose doing it was, a rush of garbage fell onto her, followed by more water.

“Die, b*tch!”

“STOP IT RIGHT NOW!”

Everthing happened in a flash. Minsun didn’t even realize where the water or the garbage came from, or whose voice telling her to go die, or when did two pair of hands pulled her into a tight embrace of person she didn’t even saw coming. 

But Nichkhun did. He saw everything. He saw how there were suddenly girls from the building on the upper storey purposely poured out water and garbage on Minsun, and how they automatically stopped when there was a guy running towards Minsun and quickly pulled her into a tight embrace, protecting her from everything else. Nichkhun knew who that guy was, but he never knew that he and Minsun knew each other.




“Are you okay?” Taecyeon asked as he slowly loosened his hold on Minsun, but still not letting her go, afraid that people would start attacking her again. Minsun was still in a daze as her eyes slowly traveled from Taecyeon’s face to the person not far behind him, Wooyoung who seemed as surprised as her.

“Y-Yes… I-I’m fine…”

Taecyeon took a closer look at her, head to toe to make sure she wasn’t hurt anywhere. Then, he looked up again hoping he could clearly see the faces of the girls who did this to Minsun. Obviously they all hid from Taecyeon’s sight, but he knew that they were still there watching Minsun and him in jealousy.

Taecyeon took a deep breath, pushing his anger deep down.

“Listen to all of you!” Taecyeon paused for a brief moment before continuing, “Stop all these! They are useless! For your information, Minsun and I are going out, and I’m not going to leave her, ever!”

Khun, Minsun, and Wooyoung all looked at Taecyeon with the same look; wide-eyed.




Taecyeon waited on the bench while Minsun went to change her clothes, accompanied by Munhwa. Wooyoung continued his practice with the rest of the boys, but he couldn’t help stealing glances towards Taecyeon who seemed very troubled. They were lucky that their coach wasn’t present today, or else the whole team would be punished severely, especially Taecyeon, as the captain; for stirring up such commotion within the school and thus scarring their reputation as sportsmen.

Munhwa and Minsun entered the gym main hall, with Minsun looking calm as usual even in her training suit. Taecyeon rose from the bench and went to them.

“Munhwa, can I speak with her for a while?” Taecyeon spoke softly.

Munhwa smiled lightly and nodded. “Yeah. Sure, go ahead,” she replied and then left Minsun with Taecyeon there and walked towards the benches to continue monitoring on the practice. 

Taecyeon slightly placed his arm behind Minsun’s and led her at the far end of the hall, which was farther from where the rest of the boys were practicing. He motioned for Minsun to sit on the bench and she did. He calmly took a seat by her side.

“Are you okay?” He spoke first. He seemed unsure so his voice was gentler and deeper than usual.

“Yes. I’m fine,”

“Good,” he nodded. He paused for a moment, collecting his gut to voice out about the incident just now.

“I’m sorry that these have to happen to you. I talked with the team, and they understood. I hope you would too.” Taecyeon paused again. “Just now… the… I mean, I hope it’s okay for you to pretend as my girlfriend for the time being. I won’t burden you to act like one, just tell people that it’s true that we are going out. I’m sorry that I suddenly decided that myself, but I believe those girls will only stop when I ask them that myself. Later when everything is settled, you can ask for our ‘break-up’ anytime,”

Minsun nodded, understood.

“Are you okay with that? Do you have a boyfriend or something?”

“No, I don’t,”

“I see… That’s good,”

“Thank you for helping me earlier,” Minsun finally had the chance to properly thank him.

Taecyeon smiled bitterly. “I’m sorry for dragging you into this.”

“It’s okay. It’s not your fault,” Minsun smiled a bit to comfort Taecyeon.

From afar, Wooyoung couldn’t tear his eyes off them. Watching Taecyeon’s troubled expression and Minsun’s fragile appearance made it more unbearable for him to carry the guilt he had for them both.

It was all his fault.



6.00 p.m.

Even though Taecyeon said he was confident that the girls would stop harassing Minsun, he still wanted her to stay at the gym with the basketball team after school. Usually after the practice ended at around 6.00 p.m., Minsun would be heading towards the bus stop outside the main gate accompanied by Wooyoung, but today Taecyeon tagged along. In fact, Wooyoung who was the one who always chatted with Minsun stayed quiet and stayed a few steps behind them.

“The bus is coming,” Taecyeon noted as he saw the bus getting near. He turned to Minsun who was a head shorter than him and smiled gently at her. When the bus stopped, Wooyoung went inside first.

“I’m leaving,” Minsun said.

“Yeah, be careful,”

Taecyeon stood there patiently, waiting until the bus fully disappeared from his sight. He was glad that at least Wooyoung was with her, so he wasn’t that worried if she would get harassed somewhere on the way home.

On the other hand, Minsun who started to look for seats continued walking towards the back of the bus instead of sitting at the front like how she usually loved to. Wooyoung who sat at the farthest seat saw her walking towards from the corner of his eyes but was yet have the courage to look at her in the eyes. He pretended like he didn’t saw her coming.

Silently, Minsun sat on Wooyoung’s left. The boy was still looking outside even though she knew that he knew she was there.

“I’m sorry,” Minsun softly said. She held her head low.

Wooyoung slowly turned to her, making sure that she was really talking to him.

“P-Pardon?”

Minsun looked up to see his face. She smiled a little.

“I shouldn’t have got mad at you this morning. I’m sorry,”

“Oh… You don’t have to, I mean, I’m sorry, I mean, I was the one who- and- and they were all saying that you were- and Taecyeon hyung have to- Ugh.” Wooyoung scratched the back of his neck and sighed. He took a few deep breaths to calm himself down.

“But you have done so much for me. I should thank you for that. Please forgive me, and please don’t stop talking to me,”

“But those girls are really too much,” Wooyoung softly complained, his lips slightly pouting.

Minsun smiled a bit. “It’s okay. At least my life is not that boring anymore,”

Wooyoung wasn’t sure if she really meant it or she was just trying to make him feel better, but he was touched with her honesty and kindness anyway.

“Were you mad at me before?”

“NO!” Wooyoung shook his head multiple times, “Not at all! I was just… mad at myself for getting you in this situation… I’m sorry,” he said, looking awkward.

“Don’t worry. I’m sure everything will be back to normal soon,”

Not long after her last comment, Minsun slightly stretched her neck to see outside the window, to make sure that she didn’t miss her stop.

“I think I’m getting off soon,” Minsun said. Wooyoung too looked outside.

“Ah, let me push the button!” Wooyoung quickly said and pushed the button above the window before Minsun could reach it.

“Thank you,” Minsun said with a gentle smile. She got up and walked towards the door, but paused before she left the bus. She turned around, and with a smile, she waved at Wooyoung. He was taken aback at her unusual friendliness, and thought that she looked kind of cute smiling like that.

Minsun had to walk for a short distance before she finally reached her home. It was getting darker by every minute, but she was used to it. Besides, she recognized most people in the neighborhood, and they each kept an eye for each other so it felt really secure even if she had to walk alone.

However, another surprise awaited her, right in front of the gate of her house.

There was Nichkhun, standing against the stone wall with his arms crossed, and a slight smile that curved up immediately right after she appeared in his sight. There was a luxurious black car waiting a few meters behind him, obviously his.

“Oppa!” Minsun called his name as she slowly made her way towards him. Nichkhun straightened his posture when she arrived.

“You’re home,” he calmly said.

“What are you doing here? Come in, halmeoni would be glad to see you,”

Khun shook his head. “I have to be home soon. I just wanted to check on you,”

“I see,” Minsun stared at the ground, embarrassed, “You must have heard…”

“Don’t worry, I don’t believe any of those.”

Minsun nodded, saying she trusted him.

“Were you hurt anywhere?”

“No, I’m fine. I don’t think they would go to that extent.”

Khun nodded to himself this time.

“Are you… really dating Ok Taecyeon?”

Minsun hesitated for while. Khun and her wasn’t as close as when they were younger, but they were still good friends and had always helped each other out. She thought she should be honest with him, because he always was with her.

“Actually, we aren’t going out for real. He was just saying that to keep those bullies away from me.”

“I see,” Nichkhun stared at the ground, looking uncomfortable.

“Oppa, what’s wrong? Are you sick?”

Khun forced a smile and shook his head.

“Nope. I was just… I’m sorry for not knowing. I should have helped you,”

“Ah, it was nothing, really. Those girls were just playing around, it’s not like they are trying to hurt me for real,”

Nichkhun smiled gently at her.

“Next time when something like this happens, tell me. I’ll come to your rescue,” Nichkhun playfully posed like a Superman with one hand stretched upwards.

Minsun giggled softly at his little act, and Nichkhun chuckled along.

“I have to go now. Take care, okay?” Nichkhun reached out for her side locks and placed it behind her ear. Minsun seemed to be a little surprised at his friendly gesture, and Nichkhun automatically laughed when her expression changed.

“It was just a leaf,” Nichkhun showed her a small dried leaf he took from her hair, and Minsun laughed along. 

The two bid goodbye, and Minsun retreated to her home when Nichkhun left with his car.

 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -