Chapter 27

If We Are Meant to be Together

“We’re still short a few thousands of won…” Wooyoung realized as he finished counting the money collection for The Christmas Projects for the children back at the shelter home. Usually Gohee was the one who kept track of the money collection, but now that she was still in coma, Wooyoung and Munhwa tried to take over especially when Christmas was only a few days away.

“But the bracelets aren’t selling anymore…” Munhwa sighed as she looked at the piles of handmade bracelets that they kept in a box. 

Wooyoung scratched his head. “Even if we sell all these, three days are not enough to make up for the shortage. Why don’t we find something cheaper for the kids?”

Munhwa was considering his suggestion when she suddenly remembered something. 

“I wonder what Minsun was doing?”

“Why Minsun so suddenly?”

“Last week, she suddenly came up to me and told me not to worry about The Christmas Project, that she will take care of everything.”

“She didn’t tell you anything else?”

“Well, she was being sevretive and stubborn about it. He only told me to keep everything a secret from everyone else. I think you’re right, Wooyoung. She’s been avoiding all of us.” Munhwa sighed again, she seemed worried.

“Don’t worry. If she’s not telling, I’ll find out myself.”

“You mean-”

Wooyoung nodded.




Munhwa decided to tag along when Wooyoung secretly followed Minsun after school. It was tough though when Minsun herself was being all secretive and sneaky since she was avoiding her chauffeur, sent by her mother to take her away right after school ended. All those just to make sure she didn’t spend her time with her friends from school.

Minsun stopped by a bustling Korean restaurant which was filled with all kind of people; students, businessmen, families, warming themselves up with nice, hot meals. Wooyoung and Munhwa didn’t see her taking a seat, so they waited outside, waiting for her to come out again. It wasn’t long until Minsun came out again with a thick pile of papers, to be exact, fliers in her hands. Wooyoung and Munhwa exchanged knowing glances, each of them feeling bad that Minsun went through the cold night distributing fliers to make up for the money shortage. Since everybody had been worried about Gohee, they forgot about Minsun just because she had been avoidant.  




10.30 p.m.

Minsun looked at her watch, and then tightened her jacket around herself. It was getting colder, but she still had a lot of fliers in her hand. That day, she was pasting those fliers along a brick wall outside a supermarket. The wall was filled with old, torn advertisements, and she was pasting the fliers on top of those. She kept telling herself to be strong and fight with the cold for the last night. Tomorrow, the money collection will be just enough for her to buy pretty teddy bears for all the kids back at the shelter home.

Just when she was about to paste another flier, somebody snatched the fliers away from her. She turned around in a flash, thinking that she would be in a deep trouble if it was some gangpae or something. Turned out, it was Taecyeon, his handsome face smiling at her. Before she could even ask anything, Taecyeon distributed the fliers to the rest of the basketball members who were standing nearby, excluding Jaebum who was not there and they all went to their separate ways.  

“Come on, Woo.” Taecyeon said and the two boys went off to the shop lots across the road. On the other hand, Munhwa stepped closer to Minsun and smiled. 

“I’ll help you with these.” Munhwa waved the fliers in her hand in front of Minsun and then looked at the wall.

“H-how do you guys know?” Minsun asked.

“Well, thanks to Wooyoung’s spying skill.” Munhwa chuckled. She reached for one of Minsun’s hand. Minsun’s hand was colder, so Munhwa tightened her grip on Minsun’s hand. “I’m sorry that I wasn’t sensitive enough. We shouldn’t have ignored you and let you do this alone. From now on, we shall hold onto each other, and never let go.”




Thanks to the basketball team’s help, all the fliers were distributed in less than an hour. Afterwards, they all gathered at a street vendor and had some hot meals together. It was so noisy when the boys were together. They kept fighting and shouting to each other, but Minsun felt most comforted at this very moment ever since Gohee passed out. She kept looking at the boys that she forgot to eat because unlike previous times, even though she knew that she had to leave them soon, she didn’t want to forget them. She wanted to remember each and every of these faces when they were genuinely happy. She didn’t realize since when they had become so precious to her so if she forgot them, it really felt like she betrayed them, and she never wanted to feel like that anymore.

“Hey,” Taecyeon nudged her.

Minsun looked up to meet his eyes.

“Have some more of these. You look like you weren’t eating these past few days.” He whispered as he added more stuffs in her plate.

“Thank you, sunbae,” Minsun genuinely thanked him as she picked up one of the food and started eating. Munhwa saw their little interaction and then smiled that at least, they were still on good term.




“Gohee! Gohee, wake up!”

“Jaebum!” Gohee replied. She frantically looked to her left and right, but she couldn’t see him.

“Gohee, please, wake up!” His voice echoed through the darkness. She wanted to run and looked for him but it was too dark that she was scared to take a step.

“Jaebum, where are you?!” Gohee closed her eyes and screamed out his name.

“Gohee, open your eyes!” 

Gohee did as he told, but this time, when she did, she was surrounded by a bright white of nothingness. She turned around and saw Jaebum standing far from her she couldn’t even see his face. There was a large, deep gap between them so she couldn’t run to him.

“Jaebum, is that you?” Gohee asked as she began crying.

“Gohee, come here,” Jaebum called gently.

Gohee looked at the deep, far gap between them and shook her head.

“I can’t,”

“Gohee, come here, come to me,”

“I can’t,”

Gohee fell to the floor and cried alone as a surge of bright light consumed the sight in front of her, which slowly erased Jaebum from her sight.

“Gohee, dear, are you okay?”

“Darling, can you hear me? Can you hear your mother’s voice?”

“Wake up, sweetie, wake up,”

“Please, open your eyes,”

Gohee gently blinked off the blurriness until she finally saw the two faces she had missed for so long, her parents.

“U… Umma… Appa…” she said weakly.

“Yes, yes dear, umma is here,” Gohee’s mother quickly responded and wiped away the tear that escaped from the corner of Gohee’s eyes.

“Oh, thank God, you’re awake. You’re finally awake!” Gohee’s father quickly ran out, calling for the doctor. That was when Jaebum arrived with a bouquet of fresh flowers in his hand. He was frozen at the door frame, watching the whole commotion before he quickly rushed to the bed.

“Jaebum, our Gohee is back! She’s back!” Gohee’s mother exclaimed happily.

Jaebum stared at Gohee wide-eyed. His pretty eyes soon wet with tears, but he had yet said anything. All the words he wanted to say was stuck in his throat.

“J… Jae…” Gohee’s fingers twitched, and when Jaebum saw that, he quickly grabbed them in his warm hands.

“Oh, God.” Jaebum finally said as he fell to his knees. “Oh, Thank god.” He repeated and kissed her hand over and over again.




That morning, they all went to a toy store together to purchase the toys for the Christmas Project. It was quite a handful to buy thirty teddy bears at one time, but the boys were there and they were being helpful. They dropped all the toys at halmeoni’s. Minsun looked a tad bit more cheerful today; the support she received from her friends probably gave her the strength. It was the first time that she felt that way, so she secretly wanted to treasure these last few days she had with these wonderful people.

“Where are you going?” Wooyoung asked as soon as he put down the large paper bags which included a few teddy bears they bought just now. Minsun ignored him as always as she disappeared behind a wall, leaving everybody else dumbfounded, but came back in a flash with a box full of random stuffs in her hand.

Minsun dropped the box in the middle of the room and picked up a couple of ribbon rolls.

“These are leftovers from last year’s Christmas decoration at the shelter home. I thought it would look perfect on these teddy bears,” she said as she demonstrated her idea by cutting off about a foot of a glimmering brown lace ribbon and tied up a bow on one of the teddy bears’ neck.

“Ah…” Wooyoung sighed as he plopped down next to her, “Why are you adding more works? These dolls looked cute as it is.”

“If you’re not helping just shut your mouth.”

The others muffled a chuckle as Munhwa suddenly sat by Minsun, in a formal, stiff posture. She gently touched Minsun’s hand, stopping her from proceeding with her works and looked at her with concern.

The rest of the boys too began to be quiet, all they did was staring at the floor, but Taecyeon still looked calm as he always did. He too stepped closer to Minsun and sat down.

“Minsun, late last night, I received a text from Jaebum sunbae.”

Minsun automatically froze. Her eyes slightly widened, her back straightened. “W-what happened?” She timidly asked.

Munhwa smiled, and gently squeezed Minsun’s fingers. “Gohee unni is awake now. She’s finally awake, she’s fine.”

“We all plan to give her a visit together. Come with us,” Taecyeon added.

Gohee unni had woken up. Minsun was so relieved but the feelings quickly changed. She was so scared now. She wasn’t sure how to face Gohee now. She wondered if Gohee was angry, or upset. What if Gohee ignore her since there were so many people there already?  

“Come on, Minsun. Gohee unni would be happy to see you again,” Munhwa said. Minsun’s reaction surprised her when she suddenly pulled her hand away from Munhwa and then reached for a teddy bear and held it close to her.

“You guys go first, I’ll go after I finish putting the ribbons on all these teddy bears.”

“But-” Munhwa hesitated when Taecyeon subtly eyed her, asking her to let Minsun be. Minsun already pretended that she wasn’t listening anymore and directed her full attention on the teddy bears. Everyone kind of saw this coming from Minsun, and they were worried, but Taecyeon trusted her and knew that she just needed time and space regarding Gohee.



2.00 a.m.
Miryung General Hospital

From afar, people can see some nurses going about on the first floor from the glass wall. The floor was empty, an obvious contrast during the day where people went in and out through the main entrance in tears, shouting, screaming, all sort of noises. At this time of the day, the lobby of the hospital can be the most calming place ever, if there was no emergency. But that rarely happens in this small town at the outskirt of Seoul.

Minsun looked up and none of the rooms on the upper floors were lit up. She breathed calmly and carefully sneaked into the building.

In the middle of the quiet, dim hallway, Minsun carefully stepped closer to Gohee’s room. Minsun clutched on her heart with one hand while the other bravely pushed the door handle down. She softly pushed the door open, and stopped only to leave a very small gap between the door and the doorframe, just enough for her to peek into the room. Unlike what she expected, Gohee wasn’t asleep, in fact, she was sitting on her wheelchair, and was reading a book by her bed, under a dim light of her bedside lamp.

“Who is it?” Gohee slowly looked up from her book.

Minsun gasped, shocked that Gohee suddenly sensed her presence. She automatically took a couple steps back and froze in her spot, debating with herself whether she should come in and face Gohee, or run away like she always did.

“M, Minsun, is tha- t you?” Gohee ask in her soft voice, but she sounded a little shaky and her pronunciation off. Minsun heard from Munhwa that Gohee had a little difficulty in her speaking, and she couldn’t walk since she woke up. What she saw right now felt so unreal. The Gohee who was always pretty, graceful, was so vulnerable now.

“Minsun, if tha- that is you, pe… please come in. I… reee-lly want to see you,” she said softly. That motherly voice which comforted Minsun numerous times managed to persuade her to finally show herself in front of Gohee. Minsun pushed the door wide open and stood there, in the middle of the doorframe, making herself visible right to the core of her soul to Gohee. She tried to look at Gohee’s gleaming eyes, but not for long. Minsun quickly looked down, hiding her own face. She was still ashamed at the fact that Gohee knew she had been harboring some feelings towards Jaebum. But not anymore, but she didn’t know how to explain that to Gohee.

“Min-sun, come clos… ser,” Gohee said in her weak, shaky voice. She stretched out her hand, wanting Minsun to accept it, so she did.

Within seconds, both burst into tears.

“Unni… I’m so sorry… I didn’t mean…”

“I… know,” Gohee said as she gently massaged the back of Minsun’s hand. “ I knew… long dd… time ago, the moment you s, said you did..n’t have feel-ings for Tae… yeon. I did..n’t kno… how to talk abo- it wi- you. I’m so-ry. I’m so-ry for keep…ing quiet, for le- ting you ca…rry the burden alone.”

Minsun fell to her knees, relieved to hear that from Gohee’s mouth. Their hands were still tightly holding onto each other as Minsun cried harder. Minsun shook her head hard.

“Unni… I’m really glad that you woke up. I really am. Thank you so much,”

“My Minsun… My dee-r Minsun… you’ll fore…ver be my be-lo-ved li…l sister, okay? I-ll ne..ver hate you,” Gohee said softly as she caressed Minsun’s hair over and over again.




8.00 a.m. 

Jaebum showed up at her door first thing in the morning with the brightest smile on his face. Gohee just had her breakfast that morning, but she didn’t eat much since hospital food tasted so bland. Despite her long coma state, she didn’t feel like eating at all, she just want to see all the people she loved, and them coming over to see her yesterday boosted her spirit.

Jaebum took her for a walk at the little garden outside the hospital building in her wheelchair. He bet she would love some fresh air after being secluded in a boring hospital room for days.

“The do-tor- said I can start my… rehab- tomo…ro-.” Gohee started. Her speech was slow and stuttered, but Jaebum smiled as he listened towards the end of her sentence. To him, her waking up, talking and smiling to him were already happiness to him. He was just so thankful that she was still around. 

“Really? That’s good news.” He replied as he continued pushing her wheelchair.

Gohee smiled half-heartedly. She gathered her fingers together because it was cold, but she couldn’t even grab her own fingers.

“My- fi-gers are stil…l sha…kin- I can’t grab… a glass…”

“Really?” Jaebum said and then paused under a tree. It was an old tree that had remained there even before the hospital building existed. Even though it was old, it still stood tall and proud right in the middle of the small garden.

Jaebum crouched in front of her and enveloped her frail fingers with his. She seemed a little pale, even her fingers were white and cold. Jaebum blew warm breathe into her fingers and rubbed them gently to make them warm.

“If you can’t grab your glass, I can grab it for you. If you can’t walk, I can push your wheelchair for you.”

Gohee replied with a bitter smile, but Jaebum could already read her mind.

“Jae… What if… I’m for-e-ber like thi-? I can’t let you-”

“Gohee, what are you saying?” Jaebum asked, as gentle as he could.

“Full ree-co-bery might… be im-possib-buh,”

“Gohee, you haven’t even tried. This is not like you. You can do this. Besides, it doesn’t matter to me whether you can walk or not, but I want us to always be together. You promised me before, remember?”

Gohee’s mind quickly rewinded to the moment when they both stood in the middle of those beautiful, lit-up trees.




“Do you like it?” He asked.

She nodded in his hand. “It’s very beautiful,”

“I can do this for you every year if you want to; if you could promise me one thing,”

“What is it?”

Jaebum rested his forehead on hers. He whispered, so that Nobody could hear them, “Promise me that you will stay together with me like this… Forever.”

Gohee nodded. “I promise,” She whispered back, smiling.




Gohee’s eyes started to water. She helplessly nodded, but she was still not convinced. How can she ask a guy to get stuck with someone like her for the rest of his life?

“But still…”

“Shush.” Jaebum playfully put on a stern look on his adorable face. “How can you even think about leaving me? I can’t imagine living without you. Do you know how happy I am that you’re right here in front of me now? Please don’t leave me. You promised me.”

“I’m so-o-rry.” Gohee looked down the moment a tear escaped her beautiful eyes. 

“Gohee,” Jaebum said, half-chuckled. “What are you saying? You have nothing to be sorry about.”

Jaebum reached for her face to wipe away her tears with both hands. He even carefully brushed her fallen locks with his fingers and then neatly placed them behind her ears. 

“Aigoo… Look at this girl, crying over petty little things,” Jaebum said playfully when in fact, his eyes started to water too. He quickly looked away and wiped his eyes on his shoulder when she wasn’t looking and then put on his bright smile again.

“Gohee, I love you. And I want to be together with you. Always. So if you aren’t going to stop crying, I’m going to kiss you.”

Gohee cried harder when he said that. Usually she would slap his arm for being naughty like that, but she couldn’t even lift her hand to slap him. Her fingers just shook harder as she cried more.

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you,” Jaebum said as he stretched his neck forward, aiming for her pale lips which soon engulfed with his gentle kiss. Gohee closed her eyes, and her sobbing gradually subsided as his warmth seeped into her through his kiss, his gentle touch.




Wooyoung quietly took a few steps back. He had always been nosy, but this time it wasn’t on purpose. He was relieved that none of them realized his presence just now or it would be really awkward. He was really glad though that Gohee woke up again, and Jaebum looked so much better now. Wooyoung leaned against a wall and sighed as he looked up. The fruits basket he brought for Gohee dangling loosely by his fingers.

Weakly, he pulled out his cellphone and scrolled down through his contacts. It paused at Munhwa’s name. He bit his lips as he hesitated for a while.  A moment later, he decided to call her anyway, thinking that life could be unpredictable, that a person you just saw yesterday could be gone the next day.

“Hey, Wooyoung. Why are you calling?”

“Where are you right now?”

“I’m at home. Why?”

“Good. I’m coming over. I have something to tell you.”




8.20 p.m.

Minsun sighed in boredom as she dangled her cocktail glass by the tip of her fingers. There she was again, finding herself trapped in one of her mother’s agenda. It wasn’t like her mother was there, since it was a party for youngsters like her and Khun, but Jihee insisted that Minsun come to Joongki’s Christmas Eve party at their penthouse downtown Seoul. She didn’t get what was so good about Joongki that Jihee liked him so much. Since Jihee asked Khun to , Minsun had no chance to skip this event, because Khun can be really uptight most of the time, if not all the time. He was the one who always kept things between Minsun and her mother peaceful by making her complying to Jihee’s wishes.

But then, being the popular and gentleman guy he was, he had too many girls to handle within seconds after the party started. Minsun on the other hand was being the legendary wallflower she was. Hiding herself between a big group of noisy, chatting people, Minsun got lost in her own thought, until she heard that the host had been looking for her.

Amidst the crowd, Minsun could see Joongki was making his way towards her while talking to some people on the way. Minsun took the chance to quickly slip away from her spot, and then sneakily made her way towards the door and made a safe escape.

“Should have done this earlier,” Minsun whispered to herself as she sighed in relief, leaning her back against the cold, metal wall of the elevator. Sooner or later, Khun would look for her, and all she had to do was to make it home with him so that it looked as if she stayed at the party. 

Waiting for the elevator to reach ground floor, Minsun carelessly wiped away the make up on her face with wet tissue. It wasn’t like she hated make up, it was just everytime she put them on, she was forced to be someone she was not.

But then, right after the elevator door opened, Minsun slapped her forehead.

“Great, just where could I go in this cold without my jacket?” Minsun told herself, but she stepped out anyway. Standing at the lobby, she stared at the cold night outside, trees lining up the road all festively decorated with Christmas lights. She chuckled as the sight reminded her of Gohee’s birthday present from Jaebum. That was when that stupid Wooyoung knew about her crush on Jaebum.

The thought brought a small smile on Minsun’s lips. Without realizing, she was already walking outside. 

To her, Jaebum was still that one special guy whom she could never forget. Of course she still liked him, but she always thought he was perfect with Gohee. Taecyeon on the other hand, a great guy, a really, really great guy who loved with all his heart. He was kind, considerate, sincere. It was just that he was only a friend to her, to keep being with him was just cruel.

“What are you doing here?”

Minsun turned around to look at the guy she just passed by. Turned out it was Wooyoung, with a bag of hot waffles in his hand, him munching them away. For some reason, she wasn’t surprised to see him there.

“Nothing,” Minsun honestly replied.

“What’s with that answer? Why are you walking in the middle of the city, without a jacket, in that dress?” Wooyoung stared at her wide-eyed, up and down. She had a black mini dress, upper half of the dress hugged her slim body tight, decorated with black sequins all the way to her halter top neck while the knee-length skirt billowed gracefully about her. Her slightly permed hair fell freely a little below her shoulders.

Minsun shrugged. “What are you doing here?” Minsun returned the question, assuming she already answered his.

Wooyoung had a dissatisfied look on his face, most probably for the lack of explanation on Minsun’s part, but he told her anyway.

“Well, I confessed my feelings to Munhwa earlier this day,”

“Really?” Minsun perked up at the news, but was careful with her reaction because…

“But she has someone else that she likes,” Wooyoung shrugged as he took another bite at the waffle.

“…Really?” Minsun’s expression faltered, “That was… unexpected.” She really had no idea that Munhwa could have liked someone else. But then, it was just natural that anybody could be.

“I’m not that crushed though.” He said before relieving a sigh, “But I have to admit that I’m feeling a bit down right now, so I went out for walk. It was pretty out here, but there are too many mushy couple around, ugh,” Wooyoung shuddered.

“I see…” Minsun replied, looking a bit bland, not knowing what to do. 

“Hey,”

“Huh?”

“How about we took a walk together?”

Minsun nodded. “Okay,”

“Wear this first,” Wooyoung took off his jacket and handed it to her, “How can you go out in this cold wearing only that?”

Minsun sighed, feeling annoyed at his nagging but took his jacket anyway. “Give me some of that waffle too,”

“What? No. Buy yourself!”

“Just a bite.” Minsun snatched away the paper bag from his hand.

“Only one bite!” Wooyoung said as he intensely stared at his waffles in her hands. Minsun rolled her eyes in annoyance.




They both sat on the top of the steps at Han River Park. They were watching the river reflecting all the decorative lights filling the whole park as they sipped on warm coffee, just enjoying the lively scenes around them. Wooyoung leaned back. He was just watching around lazily when Minsun pulled out her cellphone from her purse to look at an incoming text message.

Where r u?
-Khun oppa


Minsun sighed, throwing her phone back in her purse but Wooyoung caught it midway. He took a look at it and then stared back at Minsun curiously.

“Did you ran away from somewhere?” Wooyoung asked as he played with Minsun’s cellphone. He even pried into the photos folders, but Minsun didn’t seem bothered so he proceeded.

Minsun chuckled.

“I’m sorry…” Minsun suddenly said, a smile, but not a happy one at that was visible on her lips.

“Huh?” Wooyoung looked up for a while before he continued playing with Minsun’s phone.

“For always telling you to confess to Munhwa.”

“Hm…” Wooyoung pouted as he find the right words to say in his mind, “Actually, I’m glad I confessed. I felt relieved, like letting go a heavy burden. And it’s not like I was totally crushed, you know.”

Minsun nodded and smiled nonchalantly as she stared at the river. She looked back at Wooyoung when she heard camera snapping. Wooyoung was holding up her phone, taking her pictures with her phone.
“What are you doing?” Minsun asked, trying to take back her phone but Wooyoung avoided her by leaning backwards, and snapped another picture.

“You don’t have any pictures in this phone. Do you know how this camera works? Next school morning I’m going to snap everybody’s pictures with this. You’re going to miss us in the future, you know?” Wooyoung nagged again. 

Minsun smiled, gave up at trying to get her phone back. She regretted taking her friends lightly too. It was until a few days ago she began feeling so at loss knowing that it would be difficult to see them again. There were also possibilities that they might not see each other again, ever.

“Ayyyee… you’re so lazy… I’ll snap more pictures for you…” Wooyoung said, turning to another side, capturing the beautiful sceneries away.

“How about we take pictures together?” Minsun said.

Wooyoung looked at her weird, but quickly broke into a grin. “Should we?”

He looked sort of excited, but was trapping the bubbly excitement down to not appear as if he was that happy that Minsun actually asked him to take a picture together with her as he scooted closer to Minsun.

Wooyoung held the phone above their faces and put on his wildest smile before he pressed the snap button, and then eagerly checked on the photo.

“Hey, why aren’t you smiling?”

“I smiled,”

“That doesn’t look like a real smile. You looked so sad-” Wooyoung paused to look at Minsun’s face again. She indeed looked solemn, but still pretty nonetheless. 

“Hey, are you okay?” Wooyoung asked.

Minsun nodded. “Just, suddenly, I feel a little lonely…”

“Why? But I’m here with you.”

Not anymore soon though.

“Sorry, I’m a little weird tonight.” Minsun quickly brushed the topic off. She couldn’t tell him that she won’t be coming to Miryung High anymore after Christmas, without making things awkward afterwards. 
She just decided that she will quietly leave just like how she quietly entered the school, without anyone knowing who or what she was.

“Geez, you always are.” Wooyoung said while looking at her suspiciously. He sensed something not right about her and her expression, but since she didn’t want to talk about it, Wooyoung thought it was better if he just keep his nosiness, at least for time like this.

“Well, I’ll just give you one special picture in case you feel down or lonely or whatever it is.” He said and then puffed up his cheek and widened his eyes, pretending to be disgustingly cute and then took a selca with that face, using Minsun’s phone. He quickly gave back the phone to its owner, and Minsun instantly grinned wide looking at picture.

“What is this?” She asked.

“Ha, see? I made you laugh,” Wooyoung smiled proudly.

“Wow, this picture is really disgusting,”

“No! It’s funny, and it’s really cute. Don’t I look like a cute little kitten there?”

Minsun took a more detailed look at the picture and then retorted, “More like a Tibetan fox,”

“What’s that?”

“Google it.”

“Oh, come on!”

Just like that, they let the time flew by with empty talks, lame jokes, and passive bickering.




8.00 a.m.
Miryung High School

Munhwa was sitting at her seat. Anxiously. She had been looking out for the door. She would sigh everytime people came in and it wasn’t Wooyoung. Sometimes she unconsciously would bite her nails, but quickly stop it when she realized about it. Could it be he woke up late? Is he coming to school today? 

And then suddenly, Wooyoung came rushing in, his school bag barely dangling over his arm, following closely behind him, their homeroom teacher walking calmly into the class as he shot Wooyoung a warning look. Wooyoung smiled sheepishly to him as he smoothly made his way towards his seat.

Munhwa looked over him worriedly.

“Ah, I should have just told him earlier!” Munhwa whispered to herself.

“Good morning class.” The teacher started after everybody had settled down in their respective seats. 

“Before we start the class today, I have an announcement to make. One of our friends, Seo Minsun,” he paused again.

Wooyoung alerted at the mention of her name. He quickly glanced towards Minsun’s seat and realized that it was empty.

“Will not be with us starting from today. She is transferred to another school. Because she didn’t have the chance to say goodbye, she asked me to send her regards to all of you.”

Munhwa looked at Wooyoung again. His eyes were wide-opened. He found it hard to believe that Minsun suddenly gone from their school, without a word. He just talked to her last night and suddenly she was gone the day after.

“Teacher!” One of the boys immediately raised his hand to ask a question. “Why…? I mean, it’s so sudden, and there’s only a few months left before we finished the semester!”

“I’m afraid I don’t have the answer to that question. She seemed to no want to disclose the reason she changed school either.”

“Do you know which school she goes to?!” Another boy asked hastily. 

“If I’m not mistaken, it is Gongmun High Shool,”

Everyone ‘ooh’-ed and ‘aah’-ed as soon as they heard the name of the school. Everybody knew that it was a prestigious school, and all the rich kids as well as a lot of the politician’s kids went there. Wooyoung on the other hand could only stare at the empty seat in disbelief, feeling somewhat betrayed and angry.