Chapter 41

If We Are Meant to be Together

 

The lunch break was held at the gym as well. They could have booked the cafeteria to prepare lunch for the whole week of the training summer camp but that would drain the team’s piggy bank. They might be one of the best high school basketball team in the nation but their school just couldn’t afford luxurious training regime like other teams which often listed in the final rounds of a national level competition. Miryung High after all, was just a humble school at the outskirt of town. It was Taecyeon’s leading and hard training which earned their team the fame they deserved.

 

Munhwa pouted when Wooyoung pointed to the preparation room at the back of the hall, adjacent to the changing rooms, telling her to start preparing lunch for the hungry boys while they finished the afternoon drill. Juni and Yoonah on the other hand had their hands full with assisting the training. No one was going to help her to prepare the lunch for fifteen starving beasts.

 

“Ah... it's so much better when Gohee unnie and Minsun were around.” Munhwa whined softly on her own. A couple of the juniors, specifically Seo Jin and Surok had offered help previously but since they haven’t finished the training session for the first half of the day, no one was able to help Munhwa out.

 

Munhwa had just turned around to head for the preparation room, but her steps quickly sent into a halt when she heard Chansung and Junho’s loud voice echoing in the hall, calling out “Gohee noona!”

 

Munhwa spun around. Her eyes widened at the sight in front of her. Gohee was sitting on her wheelchair, smiling and waving to the two boys who was ecstatic to see her and behind her, Jaebum with similar wide smile plastered all over his face.

 

“Wait!” Munhwa shouted and ran towards them. At the same time, Wooyoung ordered the boys to take a short rest as he headed towards the slowly growing circle around Gohee himself. Coach Cho too came closer as soon as he saw her and Jaebum.

 

“U-unnie!” Munhwa stuttered. Who would expect Gohee to show up there with a smile on her face, together with Jaebum when the last time they saw her was she yelling at Jaebum? It was almost hard to believe despite seeing Gohee in flesh with her own eyes. Munhwa continued to look back and forth between Gohee and Jaebum, trying hard to convince herself that Minsun’s plan indeed, worked out. Everyone else reacted the same, surprised and yet, no words came out of their lips.

 

As if confirming everyone’s wondering, Gohee looked up at Jaebum and held up her arms. Jaebum reached for her hand and squeezed them firmly in his.

 

Gohee returned her gaze to Munhwa again.

 

“Did Wooyoung tell you to prepare lunch on your own?” Gohee asked even when she already knew, “I can help you with that.”

 

“Unnie!” Munhwa bent to wrap her arms around Gohee’s thin frame, “I’m so glad you came!”

 

“Did I miss anything?” A cheerful voice distracted the attention they all had on Gohee and Jaebum as everyone turned their heads towards the entrance and came in Minsun with Taecyeon and Nichkhun walking along at each side of her. From the smile on their faces, it seemed like they already knew about Jaebum and Gohee’s reconciliation.

 

-

 

They all gathered together at the gym and had their lunch there. The alumni especially sat closely to each other, mainly to catch up on each other. Ever since they started college and Minsun transferred to UK, they rarely had time to see each other. Gohee too had missed out on a lot of occasion of getting together like this because of her condition.

 

“It was hard to focus when you have all these negative thoughts clouding your mind. I ended up not finishing my sewing projects on time. But these days...” Gohee spared a glance at Jaebum, who smiled back at her just as wide, “I feel better these days. I think I’m sticking to sewing, and learn more about it.”

 

“That’s great!” Munhwa chirped. Despite feeling very tired running here and there to make sure the team’s schedule went by smoothly, her energy seemed unusually high at that time of the day. Being surrounded by her beloved people, especially after they hadn’t done so in a long time gave her a boost of motivation and energy.

 

“Unnie, maybe you can start making clothes to sell too. You always have great taste in clothing.” Munhwa added.

 

“Munhwa can be the model for your clothes, and I can be the photographer,” Chansung suggested as soon as the thought crossed his mind, the rest murmured things like ‘Hey, that’s a good idea!’ in agreement.

 

“And you can put up the pictures on a blog. I can help you with that!” Junho offered this time. Gohee’s smile widened at how enthusiastic her friends were at helping her getting settled in her condition.  Again, she looked at Jaebum who was sitting beside her, and he returned her gaze with a gentle look of his own. It was as if he was saying, ‘See? I told you everything is going to be alright, because everyone is here by your side,’  

 

“Thanks, guys.” Gohee looked at Munhwa and the boys, and then at Minsun who sat at the far opposite of the circle next to Wooyoung with Khun and Taecyeon at her other side. Minsun smiled back at Gohee, knowing that she secretly thanked the younger girl for convincing her to get outside again in the first place.

 

Wooyoung followed Gohee’s gaze on Minsun. As if time was suspended, Wooyoung caught himself staring at her unblinking. Like he had fallen under a spell merely by taking in the details of her small, smiling lips, her half-opened eyes when she laughed so hard, and her cropped black hair which seemed like it had grown a bit thicker compared to a couple of weeks ago when she suddenly appeared back in his life.

 

She is so mesmerising.

 

“Wooyoung?” Minsun tilted her head to one side. Her voice broke Wooyoung from the trance he was in, but he wasn’t sure how long she had been calling him. She narrowed her eyes in suspicion at him, and then laughed lightly right after.

 

Damn. She knew that he was ogling on her.

 

Wooyoung cleared his throat. He thought she would return to the conversation the group was having, but she kept staring back at him with a little smile dancing on her lips. It was like she had something to say to embarrass him but kept it to herself.

 

“What?” Wooyoung frowned at her.

 

Minsun shook her head. “Nothing.”

 

“Whatever. Anyway,” Wooyoung looked away while scratching the back of his neck, “When are you leaving for UK again?”

 

“Next Monday,”

 

“That’s only three days away!” Nichkhun blurted. Wooyoung was surprised that he didn’t know either.

 

“Why do you always reveal stuffs like this last minute?” Wooyoung scolded.

 

Minsun stared at the ground awkwardly while scratching the back of her neck, unconsciously imitating Wooyoung’s action just now.

 

“I was planning to go back right before summer holiday ended, but my mom wanted me to go back earlier. I only know today.”

 

Khun sighed and then pat Minsun’s head out of habit.

 

When Wooyoung saw that, he secretly wanted to do the same to her, but only if he had the guts to push Khun’s hand away first.

 

Wooyoung cleared his throat. He felt a little sorry that he scolded her just now. Unlike before, this time Minsun honestly didn’t know that she would be leaving that soon too.

 

“Hey, Seo Minsun,” Wooyoung called her.

 

“Hm?” She looked up again.

 

“If there was a way... Let’s just say if there is a way for you to stay... Would you?”

 

“I would love to, but I can’t. Listebing to my mom is the only way to keep our relationship intact... I think,”

 

“Why do you ask, Wooyoung? Do you possibly-”

 

“Nah,” Wooyoung quickly cut off Nichkhun’s question. “Just... Some wild, random ideas that keep popping up in my head.”

 

“What... kind of idea?” Minsun asked.

 

“Are you curious?”

 

“Well... just asking,” Minsun bit her lower lip and shrugged. Wooyoung straightened his back and took a deep breath. As he did so, more people scooted closer to him, to listen to his ‘wild, random’ idea about making Minsun stay.

 

“I doubt it would work, but I thought... If her father is around, he might have a say at your mother’s decision-making,” Wooyoung shrugged, “I don’t know. I can help to look for him if you want to,”

 

“Wait... What’s all this talk about Minsun’s father? I thought her father lives with her mother?” Junho asked.

 

Wooyoung broke into cold sweat now that he realized that he had just revealed about Minsun’s personal life to everyone without her permission. He looked tax Minsun to see if she felt bad about it, but she was smiling back at him.

 

“It’s okay,” she said, knowing his thoughts.

 

“I’ve never met my real father. He left not long after I was born. My mother married again later on.”

 

“What do you think, Minsun? Do you want to look for your father?” Khun asked her in gentle, comforting tone.

 

Minsun looked back at Wooyoung and bit her lip as she smiled with uncertainty, “you were right. I doubt my mother would listen to anyone, but there were times when I was curious about my father.”

 

“Minsun, if you’re okay with it, we guys can work together and help you look for him.” Taecyeon suggested. The rest of the seniors and alumni nodded in agreement.

 

“I’m...” Minsun brought her knees up and hugged them close to her. “What if he doesn’t want to see me? I mean... after all these years and...” Minsun bit her lower lip again. She was so cheerful that day but she quickly returned into the old, timid Minsun she once was at the mention of her father.

 

“But what if he does?” Wooyoung asked her back.

 

“What if he does?” Minsun echoed Wooyoung’s words in a whisper, asking the question to herself.

 

“You told me that you don’t want to live in regret. To face challenges head on without worrying about winning or losing. To never let go of every opportunity you get. To appreciate every moment you’re living right now, and the people around you. What are you so scared of, Minsun? We’re all here for you.”

 

Minsun looked up and saw Munhwa and Gohee nodding at her. Minsun pressed her lips into a thin line and then nodded with determination.

 

“Thank you so much everyone,” Minsun said with a bright smile on her lips, but everyone could see the tears gleaming in her eyes.

 

 

-

 

 

With more people helping with the training camp, the juniors had more time to breathe. That evening Taecyeon told Wooyoung to let the juniors rest until dinner time and let the alumni did the cleaning up of the gym. That was the policy he had always practiced when he was the captain. The training regime he planned (which was the legacy now continued by Wooyoung) was called ‘The Tortures of Hell’ because of its difficulty and strict discipline but at the end of the day, the juniors were taken care really well by the seniors. They didn’t have to prepare food or do laundry, just some occasional gym cleaning.

 

Taecyeon was cleaning the floor while Minsun and Nichkhun picked up the balls scattered all over the gym and put them back in the cage. Wooyoung had been out of sight for a while but he suddenly appeared at the gym again. He was seen looking around curiously but finally set his eyes on Minsun. Calmly, he walked towards her. He frowned when he saw Minsun looking up at Nichkhun and laughing while the older guy pat her head -  yet again.

 

“Ahem! Ahem!” Wooyoung cleared his throat even when he actually didn’t have a reason for doing so.

 

“Oh, hey, Wooyoung,” Khun greeted.

 

Wooyoung nodded to Khun briefly before he locked his attention on Minsun again.

 

“Aren’t you supposed to be at the back, preparing for dinner?” Wooyoung asked.

 

Minsun raised her arm and looked at her watch, “not in another hour.”

 

Wooyoung scratched the back of his neck as he walked closer to her, snatching the ball in her hands and threw it in the cage nearby.

 

“Let me do this,” he said quickly, mumbling the words in the process.  Minsun chuckled and then frowned, unable to make out the words he said just now.

 

“What did you say?” Minsun asked to be sure.

 

“Just, go somewhere else. Sit down quietly or read or do whatever you want. Just leave the gym cleaning to me!” Wooyoung still rushed the words, but he spoke them clearly this time.

 

Minsun smiled at him. “Can Khun oppa sit with me?”

 

“No!” Wooyoung quickly looked at Khun, feeling a little embarrassed that it sounded a little wrong to deny Minsun’s little request a bit too passionately just now.

 

“I mean... Khun sunbae had to help me with the cleaning. He can rest while you prepare dinner with Munhwa later.” Wooyoung quickly added, “You’re okay with that, right, sunbae?”

 

Khun chuckled lightly and shrugged, “Yeah. Anything goes, captain.”

 

“I’m going to look for Munhwa then,” Minsun told them.

 

“Yeah. Go away, I mean, ahead.” Woyoung nodded continuously at her, but his eyes were everywhere else but Minsun. Nichkhun casted a suspicious glance on Wooyoung, but with an amused smile on his lips nonetheless.

 

 

-

 

 

Munhwa and Minsun were sitting together at one bench of the gym as the two forgot their environment as they discussed something together. After dinner were freed of any schedule for the boys until bed time, but some took the opportunity to use the gym for some extra practice on their own. Wooyoung was there simply to supervise on the kids and to offer help or advise whenever needed. His eyes unknowingly often traveled to the girls, his curiosity secretly killed him inside about the girls’ intense conversation.

 

And so he did what he was best at.

 

Wooyoung cleared his throat as he left the court and tried to look uninterested as he plopped down onto the same bench the girls were at, right next to Minsun with a slight awkward gap between them. The two girls weren’t the least bothered by his presence so he began to stretch his neck towards them, just to get himself noticed by the girls.

 

“Okay, I think that is all,” Munhwa concluded. When she looked up, she frowned at Wooyoung’s antics. Minsun noticed the change of expression on Munhwa’s feature so she turned around to see Wooyoung in an awkward position of trying to peer into their conversation just now without the slightest attempt of making it subtle. His body was leaning towards them over the arm-length gap between them, making him looked ridiculous and childish, which, of course, he always was.

 

“What are you-”

 

Wooyoung quickly cleared his throat to cut off Minsun’s question, quickly followed by one of his own, “What are  you girls up to?”

 

“Grocery. For tomorrow’s lunch and dinner.” Munhwa answered.

 

“Now?” Wooyoung asked, glancing at Minsun’s watch. It was only 8.15.

 

Munhwa nodded. “When it’s still early.”

 

Wooyoung averted his gaze away and offered his open palm. “Give me the list,” he ordered.

 

“Huh?” Munhwa looked at Minsun in confusion.

 

“Give me the list. Let me do the grocery. You girls have done a lot. Quick,” his tone rose, bordering annoyance. Munhwa gave him a suspicious look as she handed him the grocery list in exaggerated slow motion. Wooyoung lost his patience and grabbed the paper away from her hand, causing her to flinch.

 

“Get some rest or whatever.” Wooyoung told her.

 

Munhwa and Minsun exchanged glances, the former lifted her shoulder as a sign that she was as clueless as Minsun was. Soon after, Minsun looked back at Wooyoung.

 

“Then we’re going to help Juni and the rest to finish the laundry,” Minsun told him. The girls both rose from the bench, but halted when Wooyoung stood up abruptly as well.

 

“Are you girls seriously going to let me do grocery alone?” He asked.

 

“Well, why not? You offered so yourself. We still have a lot to do back there. Go, quick.” Munhwa told him sternly. Minsun had a glint of mischief in her eyes, knowing what Wooyoung was up to. She guessed teasing him a bit wouldn’t cause any harm.

 

Great. There goes his plan on having a little ‘private’ time with Minsun. Wooyoung mentally kicked his own for not being a bit more upfront. He should have just ordered Minsun to do the grocery with him. Now he had to do the task he hated most in the world on his own.

 

 

-

 

 

“Yes?” Munhwa pulled the door of the girls’ classroom opened. She frowned to see Wooyoung rolling his eyes at her. Why does this guy always have to be annoying?

 

Wooyoung craned his neck to left and right, trying to peek into the room. Munhwa cleared , as a reminder that he was being inappropriate.

 

“I said, ‘Yes?’” Munhwa repeated. Wooyoung took the turn to clear his throat this time.

 

“Uh... I’m here to, uh... report on the grocery. I bought everything except the fish. I hate fish. I bought chicken instead.”

 

Munhwa sighed, “well, chicken is fine too. Thank you.”

 

Wooyoung nodded, but he was still stalling outside the classroom, which had all the windows on facing the corridor completely covered with cloths.

 

“Anything else?”

 

“Uhm...” Wooyoung coughed a couple of times, “Nothing, I’ll just... go to bed. I GUESS,” Wooyoung raised the volume of his voice at the last couple of words.

 

Munhwa nodded. She pouted, mocking an acknowledgenmet, faking an ignorance.

 

“Are you sure? You’re going straight to bed? Nothing else to say?”

 

Damn it, she knew.

 

“CanIseeMinsunplease?”

 

“You should have said so,” Munhwa swallowed back her laughter as she retreated from the doorframe, her spot quickly replaced by Minsun, who seemed to be enjoying this as much as Munhwa did just now.

 

“You’re... not sleeping yet?” Wooyoung scratched the back of his neck. It wasn’t itchy to be honest, but he couldn’t help feeling awkward.

 

Minsun laughed a little.

 

“Nope. Not yet, as you can see right here. Do you have something to tell me?”

 

“No... I mean, yeah. Uhm, not really...”

 

Minsun giggled.

 

“Which one is it, Wooyoung?”

 

Ugh, what’s with these girls and their secret plot at embarrassing him?

 

Right, they might just be paying back from him constantly being mean and annoying towards them long before. If that was the case, he didn’t really had anything to complain.

 

“I bought this for you.” Wooyoung reached for Minsun’s arm and shoved a couple of chocolate bars in her palm. Minsun looked at it and then at Wooyoung with the biggest, sweetest smile he ever saw on her face.

 

“Thank you. I love these.”

 

“That is all. Goodnight,” Wooyoung finished stiffly and then left in a hurry. Ugh, if this ever gets to the ears of Chansung and Junho, soon the whole school will know and the rest of the team will never stop making fun of him. The ‘devil’ buying chocolates for a girl? Ugh, that didn’t sound masculine at all.

 

“Wooyoung, wait!” Minsun left the girls’ classroom and jogged towards Wooyoung. He waited for her in the middle of the dark hallway.

 

Minsun clasped her hands behind her, one foot on tip toe, just like a shy girl having a secret meeting with her biggest crush. With a bright smile on her face, Minsun whsipered to him, “Thank you,”

 

Wooyoung scoffed. “You already thanked me-”

 

“Not just the chocolate. But for reminding me to not live in regret.”

 

“Oh... Well... It was nothing.” Wooyoung shoved his hands in his pocket and looked somewhere else. These days he found that it easily gets awkward whenever he was alone with Minsun.

 

“If I don’t try to look for him now, I might regret later. I’m really thankful that you helped me make up my mind.”

 

“Everyone else helped too.”

 

Minsun nodded, “I’m thankful to everyone else too, but I want to give this only to you.”

 

“What is it?” Wooyoung looked at her again.

 

Minsun took a step closer to him and tip-toed to give a peck on his cheek. She quickly retreated a step right after. Wooyoung was instantly rendered frozen stiff.

 

“Good night, captain.”

 

Wooyoung continued to stare at her smiley face until she turned around and skipped back to the room. Still in a daze, Wooyoung’s lips almost cracked to a smile, but his floating, love-strucked fantasy immediately plummeted to the ground when his mind decided to do a reality check. Based on Minsun’s situation right now, there was no chance for them to date like every other high school couples out there.

 

Frustrated, Wooyoung began to frown and throw punches in the air.

 

“Why do I keep falling for a girl I can’t have?” he whined and punched the air some more.