Chapter 33

If We Are Meant to be Together

Lotte World
10.10 a.m.

Minsun nervously grabbed a handful of fabric of her chiffon, knee-length skirt in plae pink while waiting for Joongki to arrive. Paired with a sleeveless, round necked lace white blouse, Minsun looked just like any other young girl who was waiting nervously on her first date. Joongki said he would pick her up at her home but she just didn’t feel like sharing a ride with him, at least not now. She thought it was better and safer for her to not be alone with him for the mean time.

However, there was something else that had been bothering her mind more.

How things turned out for her totally felt lke a replay from her previous experience. She was involved with this agreement not based on her feelings towards her partner. Just like what she did to Taecyeon. However, this time, even though she was dating a person she didn’t like, she did promised him, so she felt the sense of responsibility to fill out her role. She had to be the girlfriend to Song Joongki, and of course, act like one, despite having to fake it. Which was what she hated the most, because she knew a lot of people would be hurt with this act, including herself.

“Boo.”

Minsun gasped out loud and spun around abruptly from shock, only to see Joongki laughing histerically at her reaction. That probably showed how nervous she was.

She heaved in relief, to know that it was only him, despite being annoyed at how happy he looked. She wasn’t quite sure what actually made her felt this nervous.

“I didn’t know you’re that easily scared. Aren’t you always composed and ignorant?” he asked playfully. Minsun ignored his question and looked away, looking annoyed. Well, she was being nice anough by showing up on her date, she guess she didn’t have to be that nice to him. She still hate him after all, especially for stealing her first kiss just like that.

“Hmm…” Joongki suddenly reached out for her long, free hair and fiddled with a few locks. He eyed her sharply from head to toe with a smirk on his face.

“You’re dressed well, but I prefer it better when you put up your hair in a ponytail.” He commented. Minsun was about to ignore his comment when he suddenly put out a hairband with a pink bow on it –which seemed like it waa bought somewhere nearby - from his pocket and went around her to personally did her hair as he favored. The colour and design was too girly and doll-like to her liking but Minsun wasn’t planning to being stubborn with him anyway so she just let him do whatever he wants. When he was finished, he went back to his previous spot to have another look at Minsun. He held her arms and looked straight into her eyes. She looked way but he stubbornly took hold the tip of her chin ti turn her face back to his direction. He slowly leaned closer towards her, and then took a sniff at her nape, his nose barely touching her skin, sending tingles down her spine.

He leaned back again with a smirk on his lips to know that she was wearing a perfume from a brand he knew and liked.

Minsun peeled off his fingers from her arms and strictly asked him,

“Where do we go now?”

“Hm, straightforward. I like that.” He commented as he tapped his chin and looked up to think. “Ah, how about that?” he pointed to a hanging cable car which slowly toured around the whole indoor theme park.

“Fine. Let’s go there now.”




Minsun quickly took her spot, which was the corner of the coach and looked down at the lively scene of the theme park, ignoring her date. Joongki watched her with a light, playful smile dangling on his lips, and then slowly walked closer to her. He stood closely behind her, their bodies barely touching, and then rested his hands on the edge of the coach, trapping her inside. Minsun was clearly uncomfortable with  that.

“Can you step back a bit? I don’t like being too close.” Minsun coldly told him.

Joongki chuckled. “Oh, really? But I do.” He said as he wrapped one hand around Minsun’s waist and drew her closer to him. She quickly reacted by shoving his hand away. He caught her hand, and then gently let go again as he returned his hand to its original spot which was against the railing of the coach. He rested his cheek at Minsun’s temple as he viewed the scene down there.

“It’s my first time going here, to a theme park.” He quietly said, the same playful smile still displayed on his face. Minsun didn’t reply, just for the sake of not wanting to be too friendly and waited for him to continue.

“Honestly, I hate theme park. It’s too childish, and I especially hate public places with lots of people. They’re a little dirty don’t you think?”

Without him looking, Minsun rolled her eyes. “Then why do you agree coming here for the date?”

“Because I just want to see what kind of places common people usually goes to for a date. I’m pretty sure your famous basketball team captain ex brought you here before.”

Minsusn’s cheeks pinked a bit at how easily he figured her out.

“I guess places like this are not bad. Better if there aren’t people around actually. If I had known earlier that it wasn’t that bad I would have reserved the whole place beforehand.”

“Then what kind of place do you usually go to for your date?”

“Finally paying interest on me, aren’t you?” Joongki stepped back, and then turned around to lean the side of his waist against the railing to face her. Minsun pretended like she wasn’t paying attention and kept looking somewhere else but him.

“Well, sometimes we went shopping at Apgujeong if we’re short on time. Usually I’d go shopping at Japan or Europe. I like to dine in a private room, looking at the beautiful view of the city, or swimming at the sea and lunch on my yacht, or,” He paused and gave  meaningful look at Minsun before he continued, “I’d just cuddle with my partner all day long at my penthouse.”

“Sounds boring to me.” Minsun muttered under her breath, but Joongki heard her. He chuckled.

“Just as I expected from Seo Minsun. Your mother must have a big headache because of you. But that’s what caught my interest. You’re so different from other girls.”

“Really? What are the other girls like?” Minsun asked, just for the sake of the conversation. She wasn’t really paying attention. Joongki knew about it, but he was fine with it, just as long as she followed what he said, like showing up for their date.

“The girls I dated mostly, if not all, are prettier than you. They dress with top designer clothes, they never show up without make up,”

Minsun felt a little self-conscious at the last sentence as Joongki continued describing the girls he dated. She didn’t really put on make up before she came. Just a dab of compact powder and some lipbalm.

“They love it when I shower them with expensive gifts and brought them to exclusive places. They listen to me well and whisper the sweetest things into my ears. They love parties, and they were all proud to be with me. They do whatever I ask them to. In short, anything and everything the opposite of you.

“Then why do you so stubbornly want to date me?”

“Told you, because you’re different. You hated the Song Joongki that everyone knows. Have you ever thought if I have a different side to me, which might appear attractive to you?”

“Tch.” Minsun looked away. Of course not. She just hated him no matter what he did or how he looked like or whatever he said.

“How about you? How was the guy you dated before?”

To be honest, she had only dated Teacyeon before, and it wasn’t like because she actually liked him. He was more like a good friend, or a big brother to her, just like Khun.

“Well… he… he was very polite, and kind, and always take care of me. He never did anything that scare me, or hurt me.”

“Sounds boring to me. Is that why you dumped him?”

“It wasn’t like that!”

“So he dumped you?” Joongki laughed.

“Say what you want, I don’t want to talk about it with you.”

“You know what?”

“What?”

“When you get mad, I feel like kissing you.”

Minsun’s expression changed immediately. She hated it when he forced his kiss on her last time. She didn’t just hated it, she was scared of it, which was why she quickly forgot about being mad at him, to being extra careful. She should better not get on his nerves, and just kept being uninterested the whole day.

“Don’t worry,” he suddenly said, still smiling, apparently still on a good mood, “I won’t kiss you without your permission anymore, since you’re different from other girls anyway. Is that okay with you?”

“Y-yes.” Minsun stuttered, taken aback at him suddenly being thoughtful.

“Good.”




They took a break after a couple more rides and eneyred one of the food outlets there. Joongki told Minsun to wait at a table while he got them their lunch. It was quite surprising that someone with as much pride as him would go as far as buying his own lunch. She quickly agreed to it though; the lesser time with him, the better.

When he was out of sight, Minsun sighed in relief and leaned her back against the backrest of the bench. She fiddled with the ‘J’ pendant and stared listlessly ahead, wondering if it was really okay for her to keep this up.

“Oi, Minsun.”

Minsun gasped, shocked at the sudden intrusion of her private moment. She looked to her side, and saw a boy squatting low, as if hiding behind the stool she was sitting at. Turned out it was Wooyoung.

“Wooyoung, why are you here?”  Minsun whispered, she looked around to make sure Joongki wasn’t anywhere nearby before she continued speaking with him.

“I’m here to spy on you.” Woyoung whispered back, he narrowed his small eyes accusingly at Minsun.

“Spy on me? What for?”

“To clarify some stuffs. Also, if possible, to sabotage the date.”

“What? Don’t be ridiculous. Don’t you have practice today?”

“It’s a ‘rest day’ today.”

“Go away now. He’s coming here any minute.” Minsun pushed his face away with her palm square on it, she even lightly slapped him a few times to drive the litle pest away. Wooyoung endured her little attacks, purposely being stubborn just for the sake to annoy Minsun and only retreated somewhere near when he saw Joongki coming. Wooyoung claimed the table about three tables away from Minsun, behind Joongki’s seat.

Joongki sat across Minsun as he put down the tray on the table. They had just started eating when suddenly, a small child, about 4 years old, came walking to them. Minsun noticed him first, but continued to watch curiously as he walked over with a drink in his hand. The kid avoided Minsun’s gaze and walked towards Joongki instead.

And poured the whole drink on Joongki.

Minsun’s eyes widened at the sudden occurence, she almost get up from her seat.

“What the !” Joongki stood up from his seat and glared at the innocent looking boy who seemed a little scared at Joongki’s outburst.

“Oops, sorry,” he said softly with his small voice before running away. Joongki was about to go after him but Minsun stopped him, her fingers firmly grabbing onto Joongki’s arm.

“Let him go, he’s just a kid,” Minsun pleaded softly.

“Let him go?! Look at me!” Joongki looked down at the obvious purple stain adorning the fabric on his arm and thigh. “Do you know how much these cost?!”

Minsun mentally plugged her ears as Joongki kept babbling about finding the kid’s parents and what not, Minsun interfered just enough to calm him down. And then, her eyes accidentally wandered to where Wooyoung were, and saw the little kid toddled towards him. Not to her surprise, Wooyoung rewarded the kid a small cup of ice cream.

Minsun just sighed at the sight.




She guessed Wooyoung’s plan worked, a bit, but she wasn’t sure how far he would go. Wooyoung was determined and ridiculous, he just got on her nerves sometimes. She wasn’t sure if she would appreciate this, because she didn’t want to irritate Joongki. He had spent about 20 minutes in the bathroom while she had her lunch alone, which she didn’t mind much, but Joongki on the other hand surely won’t. He finally came out, with less purple stain on him. She had to spent a good deal of half-hearted persuasion convincing Joongki that people wouldn’t notice and that everything will be fine.

They decided to enter the haunted house next. It was Joongki’s idea. He said he had always been curious about them since he had never visited any. Minsun was indifferent as usual and just followed through. Before they entered, she looked around to see if Wooyoung was still following but she couldn’t spot him anywhere nearby.

What Minsun didn’t see was when Wooyoung bribed one of the ‘ghost’ in charge that day, and slipped behind the set.




The air in the haunted house was chilly, and it was surprisingly quiet in there. Minsun was expecting  alot of noise from visitors, screaming their heads off or even laughing, but the house was actually a bit eerie. She tried her best not show her weakness though, she didn’t want Joongki taking advantage of her.

Joongki entertwined his fingers with Minsun’s, quietly keeping her near. Minsun couldn’t tell if he was trying not to look scared or if he really was bored, because he sure looked like it. He squinted his eyes judgingly at a ghost which brushed his hand on them and even scoffed at a ghost which flew over their heads.

“How can people be scared of these? These ghosts are so lame.” He said.

“You aren’t scared at all?”

“Are you?”

Minsun looked away and pouted, pretending like she was indifferent to the ghosts as well. To be honest, a couple of them did made her heart skipped a beat.

“Not really. I’m not really scared of ghosts and those stuffs- OH MY GOD!” Minsun jumped a little and even bumped into Joongki when a head, all bloody and rotten and hairy rolled to her feet. Joongki quickly wrapped his arms around her slim body to steady her, all while laughing his head off, which annoyed Minsun to no end.

And it annoyed Wooyoung as well.

“Where the hell did he think he put his hands?! Even Taecyeon hyung haven’t held her like that!” Wooyoung muttered under his breath. He had been patiently laying low and watched his prey going about, but now it was time to step up his game. Lame ghosts he said? Heh, he’ll see a non-lame one. Soon.

As the couple continued braving through the route, Wooyoung followed them closely behind the setting. There was an allocated space for ‘ghosts’ to stand-by before they made an appearance, so Wooyoung had no trouble following them.

Playfully, Wooyoung stuck his hand out from under a small gap beneath the wall which separated him and the visitors’ route, and lightly brushed Joongki’s leg as he passed by. Wooyoung repeated these useless actions for a couple more times to annoy him.

“Yah, can’t you do something better?!” Joongki raised his voice wihout even looking down at Wooyoung’s pesky hands.  

“Ooooh, I sure have something better for you...” Wooyoung whispered to himself, fighting back his giggles. This time, Wooyoung reached out one hand and firmly grabbed his leg at the ankle. Joongki almost tripped when Wooyoung did that, and he cursed out loud.

“What’s wrong?” Minsun asked.

“This mother er!” Joongki roughly trying to yank his leg from Wooyoung’s grip, but unfortunately, Wooyoung’s forte as an athlete, especially as a basketball player was his strong hands.

“Let go, dammit!” Joongki pulled his leg with both his hands.

“Psh, don’t you ever look  down on these ghosts anymore!” Wooyong whispered quietly, not intending for Joongki to hear. Slowly, Wooyoung let his hands slid down Joongki’s foot, and pulled along his shoe as he retreated his hands back behind the wall along with Joongki’s shoe.

“The !” Joongki yelled. He even crouched to peek under the small gap between the wall and the floor, but see nothing but darkness.

“Hey, give me back my shoe! Hey, you stupid ghost!”

Wooyoung shrugged at Joongki’s meaningless curses and threw the shoe back at Joongki, this time from the gap above the partition wall. The shoe landed square on Joongki’s head.

“That’s one very interesting ghost!” Minsun exclaimed to Joongki’s annoyance.

Minsun couldn’t help but laughed at the sight. While she laughed watching Joongki putting on his shoe again, another ghost made an appearance. Suddenly a pair of hands rested on Minsun’s shoulder, making the girl screamed in fright. She closed her eyes tight and attempted to run away from the ghost. She ran straight into Joongki, so he automatically wrapped his arms around her again, this time tighter, more secured. Minsun regretted her action, but she was too shocked when suddenly a pair of cold hands touched her shoulders.

“I like that ghost more,” Joongki said, not intending to let go of her so Minsun had to force herself away from him, peeling his hands off her one by one. Joongki however, refused her getting way from him, and thus kept her close to him, his hand now relaxed around her shoulder.

“Stay close to me from now on,” he whispered to Minsun, with a smirk that Minsun couldn’t see on his face. He seemed to be enjoying this while Minsun silently prayed that they found the exit soon.

Wooyoung on the other hand couldn’t get any more frustrated that another ghost ruined his plan of ruining Minsun and Joongki’s date.




With Wooyoung kept trying to bug them, Minsun expected that Joongki would not want to stay at the theme park for long. After they exited the haunted house, Joongki stopped by a game booth. It was a simple game where you just threw balls into a few vases. The harder it was to reach the vase, the bigger the prize was. Joongki was thinking about getting a teddy bear for Minsun but failed at his first try. When he was about to request another try at the booth keeper, suddenly, an unknown, mysterious guy (well, guess who?) with a hood over his head and a clown  mask on his face stepped up and claimed the round. He was very good with his aim, considering he was the main player of the offensive part of a certain high school basketball team, and claimed all the possible prize offered, without giving Joongki a chance at the game.

“What’s with the theme park and its constant attempt to make me lose my mind?!” Joongki yelled in one of his outbursts that day. Minsun had nothing else to say to that. She could only shook her head and sighed in defeat. For the sake of his pride, Joongki ended up purchasing a rather large, life-sized teddy bear for her at the souvenir shop. And then he suggested they go to somewhere quiet, where they could be alone together, away from any possible pesky pests.  





To Minsun’s surprise, the place Joongki took her was nowhere close to anything fancy. Not that she was complaining, but she didn’t expect Joongki to come to a place like this. It was a small cafe at the outskirt of town, the background painted with lush greeneries while the buildings filling in the picture were in calm, lazy, muted colours while the faint sound of the Han river in the background lulling the people into daydream. The place was so much different than Joongki’s flashy, glamour places he frequented most of the time. Minsun wondered what took Joongki to this place?

As soon as they stepped out of his car, Joongki took a firm grab on Minsun’s hand, and brought her into the cafe. The cafe was a little shabby from th eoutside, adn it was the same inside. The pale mint coloured surtain weathered, and the wooden chairs and tables a bit chipped off at the corners, but there were fresh flowers on the glass vases on each table, and hand-sewn quilt cushion on each chairs. There was something about that shabbiness which felt homely and warm to its visitors.

Joongki casually waved to a young girl at the counter as they breezed through the dining floor. Minsun was once again surprised when Joongki pushed open the door to the kitchen, and led her through the backdoor. There was a light layer of trees and colourful, tended shrubs at the back of cafe. There were even a short length of stepping stones slightly covered in moss. The stepping stone led them to a clear green field looking towards the Han river. There was an elementary school nearby, so you could hear kids’ voices screaming and laughing as they chased a soccer ball on the field.

Joongki paused in the middle of the spacious grass field and took off his jacket to lay it down on the grass. He sighed contentedly as he lied down on his jacket, his hands under his head. Minsun just stood there, watching him and the surrounding. It was a nice place, very ideal to hear in fact. She had always wanted to be in such humble place, where everyone was simply happy, and nobody was curious which household she belonged to.

“Lie down with me,” Joongki ordered. His eyes looked sleepy already. Minsun hesitated, but complied to him anyway. She slowly sat down at the hem of the jacket, but Joongki was too impatient that he pulled her down on her upper arm, she almost lay her head on his chest. Minsun quickly sat up again and glared at him.

“I’ll lay down myself, thank you.” She snapped and then did as she said, making sure there was at least an acceptable gap between them both. Joongki smirked and chuckled as he stared at the sky that was turning more orange at every passing minute.

Joongki didn’t say anything so Minsun kept quiet as well, just listening to her own calm breathing. Minsun wondered if he fell asleep so she turned her head to look at him, but turned out he was still wide awake, staring at the sky.

“Why? Wondering if I’m asleep?” Joongki asked, his eyeball moved to the corner, watching Minsun with that annoying smirk on his lips. Minsun quickly looked away and scoffed.

“Are you going to run away if I fall asleep?” He asked more.

“What if I do?”

“You won’t.”

Minsun rolled her eyes.

“This is a nice place. Where is this anyway?” Minsun casually asked, trying to change the topic.

“It’s my secret.”

Minsun let the topic hung in the air. If it was a secret, she had no intention to know it. She wasn’t planning to get closer to him.

“This is where I grew up. I was briefly brought up by my grandmother. That cafe we passed through was hers, but she was no longer around. It’s mine now.” Joongki suddenly told her. There was something different in his voice when he spoke just now. There was no hint of arrogance as he usually had, it sounded nostalgic, calm, sincere. Nothing like his constant mocking and cynical tone. His grandmother was probably someone important to him.

“Do you tell that to every girl you brought here?”

Joongki laughed. “I told you. I don’t bring girls to cheap, lowly places like this. You’re the first one,” Joongki paused, and then laughed sleepily, as if he just remembered something funny, “Because I like you. Maybe,”

Minsun turned her head again to look at him. He had his eyes closed, like he was about to sleep. She was taken aback at his confession just now; not because he said he liked her, but at how sincere that sounded. Even if he was joking, it was somehow pure, like a confession from a small child. She wondered if this place was important to him, or if he came here to escape that world of pretense he had been for most of his days.

“Are you sleeping?” Minsun asked, her eyes still searching his face, as if she could find answers to his unfitting behavior if she stared hard enough.

“What’s the time now?” He asked with his eyes still closed.

“Four.”

“Wake me up at five.”

“I might run away.”

“You’re right. You might,” he chuckled. His fingers crept blindly towards her side and then entertwined his fingers with hers. It was a gesture which seemed playful and yet trusting and intimate.

“There.” He said. “Now don’t forget to wake me up later.”

Minsun continued to watch as his breathing turned calmer and rhythmic. He was really asleep, Minsun thought. When the breeze blew by, it sent her chills, but their intertwined fingers felt warm.

So he did have this side of him that wasn’t intimidating and rather transparent. He seemed genuinely calm and content, just by being there, lying on the grass and listening to the sound of the river and the faint sound of children playing nearby. These simple things, which didn’t require him a cent, and yet enough to provide him the sense of fulfillment.

Minsun’s thoughts began to wander across her safe zone as she started thinking,


‘Is it okay if she loose up a bit in front of this side of him?’ 
‘Is it okay if she trust this Joongki?’ 
‘Will he continue to show this side of him to her?’ 
‘If he does, it isn’t so bad to honestly date him, right?’