Chapter 31

If We Are Meant to be Together

 

Last night.
11.00 p.m.

Khun kept his phone back into his pocket after he failed for the ump-teenth time attempting to contact eitherof his mentees, Chansung and Junho. He grew frustrated when he realized that the clock had reached 11.00 p.m., when most mentors almost ended their after school studying sessions. He would had been long gone if it wasnt because he originally intended to stay at school with his study group. Khun sighed as he began gathering his stuffs and ready to get home. He wonderd how Taecyeon was able to manage such troublesome kids. There was Wooyoung, and then the gossipy duo. But then, he had seen how Taecyeon had always been extremely strict; borderline violent with his boys.

Khun passed by a classroom and saw Junsu waving goodbye to some of fellow mentors who took part in the program. Junsu saw Khun as he made his way out the class and smiled at him.

“Hey,” he said.

Nichkhun smiled back and then walked along with him. “Where’s Wooyoung?” He casually asked.

“I let him end early today. Why are you here today? I thought Chansung and Junho didn’t come today.”

Khun’s eyebrows raised. “How did you know? I’ve been looking for them.”

“They didn’t tell you?”

“What is it?”

“That they’re looking for a guy called Joongki or something. It seemed like he had been harassing Minsun. They said they were going to have a talk with him.”

Khun looked at Junsu wide-eyed, which gave Junsu a bad feeling.

“Is-is something wrong?”

“How come I didn’t know anything? Minsun didn’t say anything to me or-”

“Is… Is everything okay?”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea to mess with Joongki. I have to look for them!”

“I’ll go with you!” Junsu said and ran along the hallway with Khun.






“I was wrong when I thought I could stop things from getting worse. It was I who made things worse.” Khun told Taecyeon with his head hung in shame. They were both sitting on the bench in the empty gym so Khun could speak comfortably because he seemed like he was trying to avoid the public previously.

“What happened?” Taecyeon asked out of concern. 

“When I arrived, it turned out that Joongki was having a party at his home. He was already drunk, talking, more like spouting nonsense towards Junho and Chansung. He was talking out loud about Minsun, things that I’m surely not true. I got so mad, probably at the fact that I failed to protect her more than his drunk talking, and the next thing I knew, my fist landed on his nose.”

Taecyeon was surprised to hear everything from his mouth, from how Minsun was actually being harassed in her new school to Khun admitting that he punched a guy. He thought those worried him enough, but there were worst things waiting to be spilled as Khun took a deep breath.

“What happened then?”

“The place went upside down within seconds. Somebody must have called the police but thanks to Junsu covering up for them, Chansung and Junho managed to escape, but the rest of us were caught by the police.”

“B-but, you’re here right now and Junsu-”

“Not Junsu.” Khun finally found the courage to look at Taecyeon in his eyes. Khun’s beady eyes glimmered, to Taecyeon’s surprise. Before Taecyeon had the chance to say anything, Khun rose from his seat, only to fall again on his knees, begging with his last pride.

“You of all people should know well how stuffs work within people like us. People like Joongki and I. With money and influence, we quietly escaped the consequences of our action, but not Junsu. Right now, he’s alone in the cell, waiting for the police to charge him on drug posession and drug misuse, because Joongki always had that in his parties. This case grabbed the attention of media because of Joongki, the police will definitely had to give them a name, someone to blame for, but most likely not Joongki. My parents are looking for me right now, in no time I’ll be separated from the world until the commotion died down. I won’t be able to help Junsu, and I couldn’t think of anyone else who can help him…” Khun said in frustration as a tear dropped down his pale cheek, now looking paler than usual.

Taecyeon sighed in regret and held his head low. “But what can I do? What power do I have?” Taecyeon helplessly asked Khun back, as if he was returning the request.

“I’m begging you. There’s nothing I can do but ask for your help. Please, Taec. I might go crazy.” 






“Junsu.” His feelings sunk as Junsu entered the assigned booth for his meeting with Taecyeon. A clear glass separating them with a small hole in the middle of the glass so they could communicate. His eyes were all red and swollen, his head hung low with shame. Junsu was so innocent and kind and smart, it was so ridiculous that he got tangled up in this dirty mess. Taecyeon’s heart went out to his long-time friend.

Junsu slowly looked up, his eyes began to water when he found Taecyeon in sight, sitting at the other side of the glass wall looking at his pitiful self with furrowed brows.

Timidly, Junsu took his seat across Taecyeon, and his tear fell immediately.

“I don’t know how to explain this.” He said between his sobbing.

“It’s okay. I’ve heard everything from Khun.”

“What’s going to happen to me? We… We don’t have enough money to bail me out from here or pay fines... I swear I have nothing to do with the incident. Will the police believe me? Will they let me go?”

“Junsu, I’ll definitely get you out of here. I promise you. Don’t worry anymore, okay?”

“Taecyeon ah, if anything happens to me, please take care of my mother and little sister, okay?”

“Junsu, everything will be fine. Trust me.”




Taecyeon spent some time talking and comforting Junsu until they reached the limit of visiting time. Outside ta the lobby, he saw Junsu’s mother sitting on one of the benches, weeping and wailing out loud, accompanied by her young daughter, and Junho and Chansung standing in front of her both; continuosly apologizing to her with tears running down their face. Taecyeon felt a tight pinch in his chest at how insignificant that sight was to the others. The whole world was oblivious of what they were going through no matter how hurt it was to those who were affected. Taecyeon tightened his fist and hardened his jaw thinking at how those kids with more privilege were going to wake up like normal the next day while an honest boy like Junsu had to put his future on a thin line.

“Hyung,” Junho said when he saw Taecyeon, just standing there, watching them with the most troubled look he had on his face that Junho ever saw. Junho parted his lips to explain, but immediately pursed them back, not knowing the right thing to say at times like this. However, Taecyeon gave them an understanding look. The tall basketball team captain stepped closer to the group, gently placed his hand on Junsu’s mother.

“Taecyeon-ah…” the mid-forty widow said in her cracking voice.

“Eomoni…” the young man replied.

“What should I do? How can they say my Junsu is involved with drug? He’s such a good boy, how can they say that?” Junsu’s mother asked as more tears ran down her cheek.

“Don’t worry, eomoni. Junsu will be fine.”






With Junho and Chansung’s help, Taecyeon managed to have a contact with Song Joongki. Before that, the two boys had explained in full detail about how thay got involved in this mess, or how  Joongki had been messing with Minsun. They even told Taecyeon about what happened with Gossip Boy and what Joongki was planning with it.

Knowing that they were acquaintances of Minsun, Joongki welcomed the boys with great enthusiasm to one of his mansions, the one that was silent and cold compared to his lively penthouse.

“Ok Taecyeon, Seo Minsun’s famous ex-boyfriend, the charismatic leader of Miryung High basketball team.” Joongki said before the boys said a thing as they entered the vast, double volume living room of his luxuriously decorated mansion. Joongki was sitting in one of the couch in the middle of the large living room, his legs crossed, a smirk adorning his handsome face. But he wasn’t alone. There were about six guys, some looked older than him, scattered around the living room, just minding their own business, as if waiting there to act upon Joongki’s order.

“You’re just like how the rumors were; tall dark and handsome. You’re one of the best students of Miryung as well I heard. But then,” Joongki chuckled before he added more, “It is Miryung we’re talking about. I bet the best student wouldn’t even stand a chance with the worst student back at Gongmun.”

“Oh, come on.” Chansung sighed in annoyance. He bet a guy like Joongki couldn’t go through a day without dissing other people around him.

“I came here with a request.” Taecyeon said, calm and clear. He went straight to the point, knowing that Joongki isn’t a guy you should be friendly with. They didn’t even seat themselves, not that they would even if Joongki invited them.

“Oh?” Joongki raised an eyebrow. “Interesting. People don’t usually make request from me with empty hands. But let’s hear it out.” He slightly leaned forward, waiting for Taecyeon’s explanatione with interest.

“I’m sure you know who Junsu is, and what happened to him.” Taecyeon added.

Joongki chuckled again. “I’m a very important person. How can you expect me to know some random dude which is most probably from your class?”

“Kim Junsu, the guy who was in custody at the detention center, soon to be charged with drug posession and misuse in your place.” Taecyeon elaborated while clenching his jaw, fighting back his anger.

“Ah! That nerd!” Joongki laughed out loud. “Him, so what do you want me to do with him?” He continued laughing.

“Just like how you saved yourself, save him as well.”

“Ah…” Joongki leaned back lazily into his couch, sighing, disappointed. “Just like a beggar.” Joongki shook his head.

“The ?” Junho cursed through gritted teeth. Chansung put a hand on his shoulder, signing him to calm down, and not to cause any more trouble.

“Do you know how funny that sounds? So, what if I save him? What do I get?”

Taecyeon narrowed his eyes at Joongki. He isn’t someone you can talk to as well.

“If you save him, I’ll spare you.”

Joongki broke into loud, obnoxious cackle which echoed throughout the mansion. The sound was like poison to the boys’ ears, they felt like strangling that guy to death right then and there.

“How about a more realistic, worthwhile transaction. If I save Junsu, you won’t get in the way between Minsun and me.” Joongki raised an eybrow suggestively at the boys, who only returned the offer with malicious glare towards the young heir of the royal-like mansion.

“That sounds funny to me. I’ll never let you touch Minsun. A guy like you…”

Taecyeon paused. He wasn’t here to look for a fight. He came here with the thought of humbling himself, asking a favor from a person who would unlikely comply to it. Taunting him wasn’t a good idea to make him change his mind. Taecyeon held back, keeping his priority straight.

“A guy like me? Hm? Aren’t you going to finish your sentence?”

“Anyway, I’m sure it’s not a big deal for you to-”

“What if I say I already touched her?”

Taecyeon paused a moment, taken aback at his statement. Taecyeon reminded himself that this guy talked crap most of the time, and he was just spreading rumors about Minsun to make her give up on being stubborn and surrender herself to him. 

“I won’t ask you anything else if you could just-”

“Don’t you want to know which part of her that I touched? Have you ever thought that your little Minsun isn’t so innocent after all?”

Taecyeon strode angrily across the wide living room and grabbed Joongki’s collar. Joongki was surprised at his strength that he was lifted off his couch just from being grabbed at the collar, but not for long before his smirk returned to his face. And that annoyed Teacyeon to death.

“What are you going to do? Beat me to half-death?” Joongki chuckled more.

“No. Something better.”

“Oh, yeah? I’m curious of wehat that is?”

“I heard you’re quite an addict. It wasn’t just this party, wasn’t it? Didn’t you drug Khun in your last summer party?”

“Ah,” Joongki laughed, “Those were the good times. That guy was a sissy in his pants. Too bad he ran away from the fun. I had more plans for him.” Joongki laughed again.

“Good. Because I’m going to expose that to the public. To the police, to the school, anything to make sure you’ll never see daylight out of your life anymore you’ll be crying, begging for forgiveness from the people you’ve done wrong.”

Again, Joongki had a hearty laugh. “You know you need proofs for these kind of things, right?”

“I don’t need proof. I only need to know that you’re the one doing it.”

Joongki’s sarcastic smile immediately wiped out of his face, just from discovering how serious Taecyeon was. He knew Taecyeon wasn’t stupid and he would find a way to do what he said.

Joongki kept his eyes intently locked on Taecyeon as he peeled off Taecyeon’s fingers from his collar. It wasn’t fear reflected in Joongki’s eyes, but a mix of hatred and malicious intention.

“Ok Taecyeon. I have something to tell you.” Joongki said, finally in a serious tone. “You did the right thing by coming here.”

Taecyeojn was puzzled at his comment for a second before Joongki signaled his guys with his eyes and they came at Taecyeon instantly. Taecyeon managed to block a couple of punches from the guys coming towards him, but not the vase which crashed at the back of his head. Taecyeon felt like his head was spinning wildly before he caught the sight of Junho and Chansung from his peripheral vision. He barely heard their voice, shouting for his name, at the same time being held down by Joongki’s men. Taecyeon straightened his back before he hit the floor to fight back, but he was already badly injured, and the guys kept coming onto him continuosly.

“I’m being easy on you boys this time, so watch and learn.” Joongki told Junho and Chansung as they helplessly watched Taecyeon being beaten up.

“Next time, another word from your mouth, I’ll make sure you will never see daylight out of your life anymore.”






Sunday, 10.00 a.m.
Miryung Cultural Center

Minsun was having her traditional dance practice with Miryung Cultural Group as always that weekend. Dancing had always been one of her favorite activities, it almost felt like a therapy to her. It was true what Junho and Chansung said last week. Even though she had always being alone at school, this time it wasn’t so easy even when people isolate her because there were a lot of times when people kept looking back at her and whispered not very nice things to each other about her. Last time, someone hid her homework book when it had to be submited that day, and that caused her to be in detention. It was childish, but the bullying always started out subtle, especialy in Gongmun. Plus, the people here had a knack of doing things quietly, but deadly. However, so far, Minsun had no problem coping with them. Things will die down eventually, she told herself.

They took a 10-minutes break, so Minsun casually checked her phone, and was very surprised to see numerous missed calls, mainly from Munhwa, and some from Wooyoung and Jaebum. During her dance practice, she usually put her phone on silent mode to not disrupt the practice session. Minsun quickly gave Munhwa a call right then and there.

“Minsun!” Munhwa cried into the phone.

“Munhwa, what happened?”

“Taecyeon sunbae was admitted to the hospital!”

Minsun’s eyes widened as Munhwa explained the story in detail.




“He’s unforgivable!” Wooyoung curled his finger into a tight fist, gritting his teeth in rage. “I’ll never let him go!” he muttered under his breath.

“Wooyoung, forget about him.” Taecyeon weakly replied. He was helplessly lying down on the hospital bed, bandages all over his body, his arms, his chest, his head. The back of his head which was hit by the vast received seven stitches. His left leg broken, now clad in cement while his body suffered three broken ribs. His face barely recognizable because of the wounds and swollen eyes and lips. Jaebum who was also there by his bed almost couldn’t look at his badly injured friend. Junho and Chansung was slightly injured as well, but they weren’t as critical as Taecyeon. They were both there just now, but went out for a while with Munhwa when Taecyeon requested to talk with Wooyoung for awhile. Jaebum stayed there by his side, already knew what he was about to say, and will be acting as a supporter to Taecyeon to carry out his wish.

“But what about Junsu hyung?”

“I told my parents everything. The school knew too so they are trying their best to help Junsu. He’s innocent so I’m sure he’ll be fine. You, on the other hand, have better things to focus on,” Taecyeon added. Trying to solve this on his own was a mistake, but then, he had little faith of what the adults could do right now. Last night the news about Joongki’s party busted was aired on national news. People were raging at these teenagers, the police would be damned if none of those youngsters were punished, which put Junsu in a tighter spot, considering all the sons and daughters of the privileged had their names all cleaned up.

Wooyoung stared at Taecyeon’s broken leg with regret. “The final round of Christmas Cup will be next week. Hyung,” Wooyoung looked at Taecyeon with sad eyes, “You had always been wishing to advance to the final round of the Christmas Cup, and now its your last chance but…”

“Since things had turned out like this, I guess I wasn’t meant for that,” Taecyeon bitterly chuckled. 

Wooyoung sighed. Taecyeon had always been a great support to all of his team mates, and right now he was the one who need support the most, but Wooyoung couldn’t do a thing. He hated being helpless. He hated for not being able to make things better. He had a thought that the team could at least win the Christmas Cup for him, but Wooyoung lost his confidence since their best player, Taecyeon wasn’t able to participate.

“Wooyoung, I have a favor to ask you.”

“Hm?” The younger boy looked up. He saw Taecyeon calmly took a deep breath while Jaebum silently waited by Taecyeon’s side.

“Since I’ll be graduating in a few months anyway, I wish you would fulfill my last request.”

“W-what is it?” Wooyoung waited anxiously. For some reason, his heart began to race.

“Please take over the basketball team.”

Wooyoung was stunned at his request. He opened his lips to reply but words didn’t seem to be able to come out of his mouth. His voice stuck in his throat. Wooyoung turned to Jaebum, which caused the senior to smile, knowing what he was thinking.

“I want you to be the new captain of the team.” Taecyeon rephrased his request, with a ligt smile on his lips.

Jaebum took turn to explain, “I’m not taking over his spot because we will be graduating soon anyway, and since we and Coach Cho had long agreed to have you as the next captain, why not just start now? Why do you think Taec being harsh to you all this time? It’s to prepare you to be the captain of course.”

“B-but-”

“You can do it, Wooyoung. You care for your teammates and friends. You’re good with everyone and a lot of people like you. You’re passionate. You have a good mindset, once you set your mind on something, you don’t think of anything else and just do. Even though you always got in trouble because of that, but that quality isn’t exactly a bad thing if you use it in the right occasion. While Jaebum is here, he will be guiding you, so don’t worry.”

“…Y… You sure?” Wooyoung asked one more time, still lacking confidence for having to carry such big responsible, even though he felt a tad bit on-the-cloud sort of proud from all the praises that Taec showered upon him just now. Well, it was Jang Wooyoung, it would be a miracle if none of those praise didn’t get to his head.

“You want me to get worked up and ask you to do 100 push-ups right now to see how serious I am right now?” Taecyeon playfully asked.

“N-no, captain!”

Taecyeon chuckled. “I’m no longer the captain, so stop calling me that. I have one last order for you though. Please, just do this.”

“What is it?”

“Never, ever, look for Song Joongki. He isn’t the average high school student. I don’t want you to make a stupid mistake. And one more thing,”

Wooyoung sighed, and decided that he better listened to him for real this time.“Yes,hyung,”

“Win the Christmas Cup for me, okay?”

“YES, CAPTAIN!”