The Record Store

Dream (Suga Fanfiction)

It was 1 AM.

It has been a few minutes since I got home. I was extremely tired but I was still awake.

Whenever I close my eyes, I see him smile at me. So I smile too and just squeal on my pillow as I kick the air like a hopeless romantic high schooler. The way he looked at me, smiled, and said “Good night,” kept on replaying in my head. I couldn’t sleep.

Min Yoongi made me feel things I’ve honestly never felt before.

The idea of Min Yoongi makes me feel happy, and I’m not too dense to not realize the fact that I like him.

I quickly reached my phone that was sitting on my bedside table. I typed Min Yoongi on my phone and stared at his number for a moment, contemplating whether I should press Call or not. I wanted to hear his deep voice again. It was 1 in the morning but he probably just got home or something.

I was about to press Call when a series of questions popped into my head.

“What are you going to tell him? Wouldn’t it be weird? I mean, you were with him the whole day and after a few minutes you’re going to call him right away? Would it be too obvious that you like him? Or do you want to make it look that obvious? Do you even have the right to call him just because you want to hear his voice? He’s Suga, you’re just a waitress and you’re not anything to him at all.”

I groaned at my own trail of thoughts because I knew I was being ridiculous.


 

“Can’t believe I skipped my class just for you. I have a quiz to take, for ’s sake,” Nahyun mumbled as she maneuvered the car along the streets of Ilsan. I threw her a sweet smile just to show her how much I appreciate her coming with me.

I’m not really the bad influence type of friend. I wouldn’t ask her to accompany me for my own personal interest if she mentioned anything about the quiz beforehand. She was just acting like she was annoyed for being bothered when I knew she also wanted an excuse to somehow get away from the university, as if she doesn’t do that often.

“I know a record store in Myeongdong, I don’t understand why we have to drive two ing hours for another record store.”

“I’m on a budget and the record store in Ilsan sells cheaper records,” I explained as I searched the internet for the best 70’s rock albums.

My father plays a lot of The Who and Neil Young whenever he have some time to spare so I figured that he’s a fan of their genre. It was tough thinking of a gift for our father. I thought of buying him a wrist watch, but because of the drunken night with Kim Namjoon, I accidentally spent some of the money my brother asked me to budget for Dad’s gift. So now I got no choice but to buy him something cheap, yet sentimental.

“Let me ask you one question, and you tell me the truth,” Nahyun said when we both got bored inside the car. I turned my head away from the window to face her and waited for the question. “Is there something between you and the BTS kid?”

I pursed my lips before answering. I don’t even know why I felt nervous answering that question, but because Nahyun is my best friend, I thought I should tell her everything. I don’t really like talking about this kind of stuff and being sappy, the idea of romance makes me cringe. “Well, I can say that I’m getting attached to him,” I slowly answered.

Nahyun’s brows quickly rose as she turned her head to me. I couldn’t tell if she liked what she heard or not. “So are you like anything at all?” She asked as she fixed her eyes back on the road.

“We’re not anything. I don’t know. Are we even friends? I’m not sure. He’s just way out of my league so it’s hard to assume things.”

“Well, I noticed how close you were last night.”

“Is it weird?” I asked.

She just gave me a shrug.

I told Nahyun everything that happened. The fight, the drink with Namjoon, the part of the night that I don’t remember, the morning after, and the Dickids show. I told her all the things that she must know for her to be able to judge what was happening and what could happen next.

“He’s an idol,” Nahyun said as she shot me with her eyes full of concern. “Being charming is part of his job.”

I forced a smile. What she said was the truth, but I couldn’t acknowledge it for some reason. “I know,” I sighed. “But I’m not one of his fans, he doesn’t have to make me like him. I didn’t even know the guy before he started appearing in Salon de Café. I work with him and that’s it. Things like waking up in his bed and happily dancing with him in a sea of people should not happen. There should be boundaries.”

“Well, that’s your answer,” Nahyun snapped.

“What’s the answer?”

“That you work with him, and that’s it. I thought you said you don’t want to assume anything but you’re the one who’s planting malicious thoughts in your head. You should know better.”

“I should know better?” I scoffed. Her words kind of offended me even when she said it in a low and calm voice. Maybe I wanted to hear something else from her. Maybe I opened up to my best friend just to clear myself from the confusion I’m having. But I wanted a specific answer, and it wasn’t what Nahyun was telling me.

“He’s Suga of BTS. He’s one of the biggest stars out there. The fact alone that my best friend works with him is unbelievable, it’s overwhelming. I feel cool whenever I tell some of my friends that I met him in a small show downtown – ” She stopped when she realized that she’s getting off the topic. “My point is anyone likes him because he’s Suga. It’s easy to like him, it’s easy to fall in love with him and he doesn’t even have to try. You might think he’s making a move on you when he’s really not.”

“You were the one who kept on insisting that he was making a move on me.”

“I was making fun of you. Come on.” She rolled her eyes and scoffed.

I looked at her with both of my brows furrowed. I’m not sure why I felt like I had to defend myself. I wanted to say more but we already made it to our destination and I didn’t want to start an argument so I just gave her a nod.

We quietly selected records that my father would probably like. I didn’t talk much because I was a bit annoyed with the things she told me. She didn’t say much either anyway since she probably felt that I wasn’t in the mood. She’d just come to me with the records she knows and ask me if my dad knows it. At least she was being helpful.

“Are you mad at me?” She finally asked while we were eating on a pretty fancy food chain around the area.

“No.” I faked a smile, but my reply was not a lie. I got to admit, it’s not really a big deal. I wasn’t even mad. I was just annoyed.

“I’m sorry if I offended you,” she apologized as she chew on her omelet. “But, you’re my best friend and I love you and I don’t want you to get hurt by your first love.”

“It’s just a crush.”

“Yes, but it will eventually turn into something deep as you let yourself fall harder.” We both hated talking about sappy things like this, so it was kind of weird and awkward. But she tried her best to sound sincere. “As of now, the idea of the two of you being together is not a possibility. Let’s not jump into conclusions while we are still unsure. Okay?”

“When can I say that I’m sure of it?” I asked.

“When he tells you what he feels about you.”