The Show

When Sparks Fly!!!

 


Yong Hwa was surprised to receive a call from Shin Hye's mom asking him to come to their house. Without second thoughts, he rushed to the mansion, thinking and worrying that there was an emergency or that Shin Hye is sick or hurt.

When he reached the mansion, the butler immediately escorted him to their main living room. His eyes widened in surprise when he saw the whole family, including Dara and Min Young gathered in the room.

"Good morning." he greeted hesitantly, unsure on whether or not to join the group.

Shin Hye's surprised expression indicated that she too was surprised to see him there.

"Yong Hwa!" Se Bin smiled at him. "I'm glad you're here. Come, sit beside Shin Hye."

Yong Hwa slowly walked forward and sat beside Shin Hye on the couch.

"What are you doing here?" Shin Hye demanded in a low tone the moment he sat beside her.

"I don't know." he whispered back. "Your mom called me a few minutes earlier  asking me to come here immediately. I thought...." Yong Hwa cut off whatever he was going to say. He didn't want to admit to her that he was worried something happened to her.

"You thought?.... What?" Shin Hye asked.

"Nothing." he replied shortly. "Why is the whole family gathered here?" he asked instead, changing the subject.

Before Shin Hye can reply, her mom cleared catching their attention. 

"I know you're all aware why we are here, except for Yong Hwa who is the newest member of the family." Se Bin announced which earned her raised eyebrows from the group and a warning glare from Shin Hye.

"I consider him my adopted son since he is the son of my best friend, so stop giving me those looks!" she defended herself and throwing warning looks at every one. "I will celebrate my birthday two weeks from now, Yong, so we are here to discuss the preparation and the event." she said, turning to look at Yong Hwa.

Yong Hwa nodded at her and smiled, but deep inside he wondered what his role in this event and why he had to be there.

After what seemed like forever, Se Bin signaled that they were finished with the discussion. Yong Hwa let out a relieved sigh and glance around. Every one seemd to be as tired as he was, well, except for Se Bin of course. 

"Yong, you may invite your friends to the party. I want to meet them 'coz I'm sure they are Shin Hye's friends too, right?" she asked.

Yong Hwa nodded with a small smile on his lips. He was already feeling dizzy after listening to an endless talk of flowers, themes, colors and decorations. The only thing that was interesting to him was the talk of food... it was mouth-watering and made him hungry.

 

His attention was caught when Shin Hye, Bom, Min Young and even Jung Min let out a loud groan when Mrs. Park called out their names. Only Dara seemed to be delighted when she heard their names being called.

“Of course, the five of you will perform a musical as usual.” she announced.

“MOM!” Jung Min protested loudly. “Don’t you think five years is enough for us to endure the humiliation?”

“Mom, you have to face the fact that we are all musically handicapped, especially if faced with those instruments. Don’t make us go through it AGAIN!” Bom let out a loud wail.

“You have to get over your fantasy of watching us perform at an orchestra. If we did, it will be the end of the musical industry.”Shin Hye sighed in exaggeration.

“Nonsense!” Mrs. Park said, shaking her head. “You are all amazing. You just don’t realize it.”

“Yey! We’re going to perform a musical!” Dara exclaimed giddily, jumping on her chair and clapping her hands. “This is sooo exciting!”

“See? Dara is excited about it.” Mrs. Park pointed out at Dara with a wide smile on her lips. “That’s the spirit, Dara!”

The four turned to glare ominously at Dara, vowing to strangle her and gag the moment Mrs. Park leaves.

“YIKES!” Dara exclaimed, noticing the glares from her cousins and her sister. “Auntie, wait! I’ll go with you!” she called out to Mrs. Park. She knew that the four will gang up on her for agreeing to do the musical.

Yong Hwa was surprised at the violent reactions of the four, so he turned to ask Shin Hye about it.

“Mom forced the five of us…. correction, I meant the four of us” she muttered, frowning at the retreating back of Dara, “to play the musical instruments five years ago after watching an orchestra in France. Since then, she demands that we play a musical for her during her birthdays.” she grumbled an explanation.

“What’s wrong with that?” Yong Hwa asked, his brows furrowing in confusion. He didn’t understand what the big deal is in playing an instrument.

“What’s wrong with that?” Shin Hye repeated incredulously, looking at him with wide eyes. “Don’t you remember the times you and your band mates were trying to teach me how to play the guitar and the drums? You even told me that I was committing murder when I held your guitar. Min Hyuk wanted to cry after I started banging his drums. Remember that?”

“OH!” Yong Hwa muttered.

“Yes! OH!” Shin Hye repeated sarcastically. “With a capital O – H!”

“So, the other four is also inept in playing the instrument?”

Shin Hye nodded and muttered under her breath “Only Dara finds the joy in committing mayhem every year.”

“It can’t be that bad.” he tried to console her.

“OH YES IT IS!”

 

************************

 

On the night  of the party, Yong Hwa and his band mates went together to the mansion. The three were excited at being invited to birthday party and finally get to see Shin Hye’s house/mansion.

When they arrived at the mansion, the place is already filled with guests. There were long lines of luxurious cars parked on the road, elegantlty attired men and women can be seen scattered around the mansion. Yong Hwa and his friends were greeted by the butler at the door and were escorted by an assistant inside.

Yong Hwa immediately scanned the crowd for Shin Hye but saw no signs of her. He asked one of the servants where she is and was directed to the south wing of the mansion. He immediately went to search for her.

He was two doors from the library when he heard raised voices coming from that room. The door is slightly ajar so he took a peek inside and saw Shin Hye, Bom, Jung Min, Dara and Min Young arguing heatedly.

 

 

************************************

 

Shin Hye felt as if her head is about to explode from a splitting headache. They’ve been arguing endlessly for the past hour and haven’t agreed on anything. It started when Min Young announced that she’s going home and won’t join the musical.

“You can’t do that!” Dara protested. "We promised Auntie that we will perform."

"NO WE DIDN'T!" the four contradicted loudly, startling Dara.

"Hey! You don't have to shout. I'm not deaf." Dara pouted.

"Oh! Oh my head!" Bom suddenly cried out, holding her head then suddenly fell on the floor.

The four stared at Bom's slumped form on the ground, but no one rushed to her side to help her.

"Hey! Noona, stand up." Jung Min commanded. "You already did that fainting drama last year. No one's buying it again."

Bom opened one eye and looked at them. She stood up, pouting while dusting her clothes.

"Were you not even a little bit concerned for me?" she complained.

"Not one bit. It was overly done." Jung Min replied.

"You didn't even hit the floor hard. Besides, we knew you were faking it." Min Young told her, smirking at her.

"Yeah, unnie. We knew you were faking it." Shin Hye seconded. "You were fainting and falling on the floor in slow motion. How do you expect us to believe you?"

"But it was a good try, Unnie. If it was in a movie, it would have made an awesome scene." Dara said. "You should all stop worrying. It's going to be fun!"

"Fun?" Bom exclaimed angrily. "Is it fun when you are humiliated in front of a crowd? All my co-workers are here! They'll tease me for sure when I go back to work!"

"How about me?" Jung Min snarled, "The investors will be here tonight. Do you think they will still trust me with their money after they see me on stage?!"

"And all my suitors will surely be turned off when they see me make a cake of myself!" Min Young cried out in a tear-filled voice.

"Oh! For goodness sake Min Young! You have the most ridiculous and self-centered reason why you want to get out of playing at the musical!" Dara told Min Young with a raised eyebrow.

"Hold me back if you don't want to see me murder my own sister!" Min Young growled furiously, her face turning bright red.

"Why don't we all hide and come back after the musical part of the program is over?" Shin Hye suggested eagerly.

"NO!" Dara cried out in indignation. "You can't do that! We need to do this for your mom!"

"Then you do it alone!" the four chorused, snapping at Dara.

"Don't you dare try to escape or I'll never forgive you!" Mrs. Park snapped at them from the door.

They turned to the door and saw the birthday celebrant and Yong Hwa standing by the door. Yong Hwa smiled sheepishly at them.

"MOM! Do we really have to do this?" Bom asked desperately.

"YES!" Mrs. Park replied adamantly. "Now go to your rooms and change your clothes!" 

With crestfallen expressions, the four marched out of the room. Dara sprinted after them, chatting animatedly and irritating the four reluctant performers.

 

********************************

 

Yong Hwa and his friends were ushered to the west wing of the mansion to a big ballroom along with the rest of the guests. At the front of the room is a little stage with musical instruments placed at the center. There were already a lot of people inside but only a few were seated at the front rows.

"Why aren't you seating at those chairs?" Yong Hwa asked an elderly gentleman who is standing near the door.

"I'm protecting my ears and my sanity." the elderly man replied, smirking at no one in particular.

"Huh? What do you mean?" Yong Hwa asked in confusion.

"Go! Sit at the front row and find out."

With a shrug of his shoulder, he and his friends went to sit at the front row.

The guests were busy talking to each other when a man from the orchestra announce that the "Park Quintet" will grace them with a musical piece by Mozart.

Yong Hwa's jaw literally dropped open when he saw Shin Hye step up the mini stage in a glittering gold, figure-hugging gown with a slit on the side up to her mid-thigh. She's a cross between a face of an angel and a body of a seductress.

Yong Hwa's heart thumped rapidly on his chest, his breathing short. He wanted to run up to her and carry her out of the room to paddle her backside. He didn't like the way the other male guests are staring at her. He suddely felt possessive and jealous. This feeling is foreign to him and he didn't like one tiny bit.

The moment their eyes met, it was as ifthe room is devoid of all the other guests. There was only him and her. When she smiled shyly at him, he finally admitted that he has fallen for her ---- hard.

It was magical. It was heart-thumping and exhilirating. It was the moment when all fireworks went KABOOM. It was the moment WHEN SPARKS FLY!

He watched her take the violin and delicately positioned it on her shoulder. He saw from his peripheral vision the other four members of the Park Quintet get their instruments.

Shin Hye is on the violin, Bom at the oboe, Jung Min on the trumpet, Min Young held the clarinet while Dara sat in front of the piano.

Shin Hyethrew him a small smile before turning her gaze to the others. He was mesmerized.... he was captivated..... he was enchanted.... he was HORRIFIED?!

With a nod from Bom, the quintetstruck their instruments.... then...... ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!

The people seated at the front rows including Yong Hwa and his friends jumped from their seats as horrible and ear-piercing noises assaulted their ears.

Now, he understood why the Park Quintet,with the exception of Dara, was very reluctant to perform a musical. He now understood why that man at the door refused to take a seat and strategically positioned himself at the door.

The quintet are not playing music. They are creating mayhem and destruction. They were assaulting the guests eardrums with that ear-splitting noise! Mozart is surely turning on his grave if he can hear the quintet murder his piece.

Shin Hye attacked the violin strings using the bow as her weapon. Yong Hwa cringed, his teeth clenching and it felt like his ears are going to fall anytime. Every pass ofthe bow on the strings were like nails scraping the board. 

Jung Min wore a comical expression on his face. He tried to look stoic while he held the trumpet but his face distorted every time he blew the trumpet. It sounded like a herd of stampeding elephants screeching while being chased by mice. He visibly flinched at each sound that he made. Yong Hwa felt sorry for him.

Bom and Min Young sounded like quacking ducks who are being strangled as they played the oboe and the clarinet. They too had a miserable expressions on their faces. It isn't hard to guess that they wish the ground would open up and eat them alive.

Dara, on the other hand, is obviously enjoying herself. She wore a blissful expression as if she's in DARA land. She smiled giddily while pounding the keys of the piano. The keyboard protested the assault it is taking from her. Her playing reminded him of cats yowling when attacked by dogs.

"Yong, what have I ever done to you for you to torture me like this?" Min Hyuk cried out tearfully, his hands covering his ears.

"You're going to pay for this Yong!" Jong Hyun and Jung Shin threatened him with a glare. They too had their hands covering their ears.\

"Yah! Just shut up!" Yong Hwa muttered in irritation. "I didn't know that they are as aweful as this. My ears are receiving the same beating as you!"

"There's a song that fits the situation right now." Min Hyuk said, looking miserable.

"What?" Yong Hwa asked.

"WHO LET THE DOGS OUT!"

Yong Hwa let out a strangled laugh but immediately sobered when he saw the displeased looks on his friends faces.

"I wish I could be a rabid dog right now so I can chase them out of that stage!" Jung Shin growled like a dog.

"Kyaaahhh!!! I'm going to murder my son for making me sit here!" an elderly lady muttered loudly at their back. "I've never heard such terrible music /noise before."

"To call it music is a sacrilege!" her companion added.

"Do you know that they are called the 'Horrible Quinte' and the 'Atrociously Inept Quintet'?" another guest informed them loudly.

"Oh God! Deliver us from hell!" the elderly matron prayed loudly.

"Make them stop, please!"

Yong Hwa felt sorry for Shin Hye. He can see on her face that she wanted to run away from the stage, but for the love of her mom, she and her siblings and cousins had to endure the humiliation. 

Finally, after what seemed like hours but was only a few minutes of teeth-grinding torture, the quintet bowed their heads. Dara smiled radiantly at the crowd while the rest of them had a pained expression on their faces.

 

**************************

 

Yong Hwa cornered Shin Hye at the buffet table. He's been searching for her every where since the musical spectacle at the ballroom but she and the other quintet were missing in action.

"Yah! Shin Hye! Where have you been?" Yong Hwa asked. "I've been looking for you."

"Sorry. We just wanted to get away for a while. If you noticed, we are not the most favorite quintet of the crowd." she smiled sheepishly at him while sipping a glass of punch.

"It was not that bad." Yong Hwa lied straight-faced.

Shin Hye looked at him closely, moving closer while inspecting his nose.

"Yah! What are you doing?" he asked.

"I'm checking to see if your nose is becoming longer."

"What?" Yong Hwa exclaiimed, touching his nose. "Why?"

"Coz you're lying to me. Not bad, huh?" she scoffed, rolling her eyes at him.

Yong Hwa laughed softly, scratching his head and told her sheepishly. "Sorry. Just wanted to make you feel better."

"Don't worry. We're used to this. We've had five years of practice, remember?"

"Shin Hye, can I talk to you?" Yong Hwa said softly. "I want to tell you something important."

"What is it? We can talk here."

"There's too many people here. What I want to tell you is better said in privacy." his cheeks reddened.

"Really?" Shin Hye exclaimed. "Are you going to say something naughty?" she teased.

"Yah! That's not it at all." he protested.

"Then what is it?"

"Is there somewhere where we can talk privately?"

"Let's go to the gazebo. There's no there at this time of the night."

"Come on. Let's go." Yong Hwa grabbed her hand and started to pull her to the door.

They were almost at the door when a handsome young man blocked their way. He was smiling at Shin Hye. Yong Hwa felt Shin Hye grind to a halt. He turned to see her eyes widen in surprise, then her lips curved in a radiant smile.

"Hi baby girl! You're beautiful as always!" the young man told Shin Hye huskily.

"Oppa!" Shin Hye squealed excitedly, her eyes sparkling with happiness.

Yong Hwa's heart clenched painfully when suddenly Shin Hye rushed forward and threw her arms around the young man.

 


 

 

Hi guys! I hope you like this chapter!

 

Please leave your comments. I'm ecstatic every time I read your comments.

Please subscribe if you like my story *_*

 

HAPPY READING TO ALL!!! heart