When Moms Intervene

When Sparks Fly!!!

"Rise and shine, sleepyhead!" Bom's voice boomed at Shin Hye, waking her up. "It's a beautiful Saturday morning!"

"Hhhhmmm...." Shin Hye protested, covering her head with a pillow.

Bom flopped down beside her and grabbed the pillow from her head.

"Wake up, sister dear. Mom's calling you." she said.

Seeing that she's getting no reaction from Shin Hye, she started bouncing on the bed.

"Hey! Stop that!" Shin Hye grumbled, opening her eyes a slit to glare at her sister.

"Oh ho! Now you're awake. Come on. Get up." Bom urged, grabbing her wrist.

"Let me sleep for another five minutes, please?" she begged, closing her eyes.

"Aigoo! My baby sis has a hang-over." Bom crooned as she lied down beside her on the bed, wrapping her arms around Shin Hye.

"Yes, and I have a splitting headache." SHin Hye pouted, turning to face Bom and wrapping her arms around her sister. "Unnie should be a good sis and let me sleep more, alright?"

"Oh my pooor baby sis. If you're not feeling well then I have to take care of you." Bom said, going along with her acting.

Shin Hye nodded, pretending to look sick.

"It's a good thing I refilled my medicine cabinet. I have a lot of paracetamols that you can drink for your headache. I also mixed a tonic for hang-over." Bom stared at her with wide innocent eyes.

"Uh, no thanks." Shin Hye cringed, rapidly sitting up. "I think my headache's gone. No hang-over too, I promise!"

Shin Hye has an aversion to medicines, and feeling sick is pure hell for her. And Bom's hang-over tonic is the worst of all, worse than the tablets they force on her. It is bitter and left a trail of fire down the throat to the stomach. And the after-taste will linger on the tongue for hours. Even her brother Jung Min cannot stomach it.

"Wow! You sure got well immediately." Bom teased. "Just the mention of paracetamol and my tonic cures you fast, huh?"

"Yeah! The thought of drinking your tonic can make anyone well. Even those at the brink of death will surely get well if you threaten them with your tonic." she sarcastically replied.

"Oh well, at least I'm good at something." she said, laughing softly.

They both went out of her room after Shin Hye brushed her teeth and washed her face. They met Jung Min along the hallway on their way down to the dining area for breakfast.

"How's my baby sister this morning?" Jung Min asked with a concerned look as he sling his arms around her and Bom's shoulder. He drew them to his side and gave each of them a peck on the cheek. "No hang-over?"

"Nah! I'm good, oppa. Thanks." Shin Hye gave him a peck on the cheek too.

The night before they had a celebration party for Jung Min's birthday. Instead of having a grand birthday bash like what their mom suggested, Jung Min insisted that he wants a private celebration. He invited only his closest friends and relatives. Shin Hye, the youngest but also the wildest, drank to her hearts content.

"Where are you going so early in the morning?" Shin Hye asked, pouting when she noticed that he was dressed to go out.

"I'm going to visit my high school pal who just arrived from the States." he replied, smiling at her pouting face.

"You have to eat your breakfast before you leave, okay?" Bom told him gently, her arm wrapped around his waist.

"Don't worry, I'll eat with you, okay?" at her nod, he smiled at them both and said. "Oh my two beautiful sisters are so concerned for their handsome brother." he chuckled, then looked at them with a gentle smile. "I love you both."

"We love you too, brother dear." they both said, laughing together.

When they reached the dining room, they saw their mom and dad waiting for them. 

"Oh, good that you're all here. Come on, let's eat." their dad invited them.

After saying grace, they started eating. That was their usual routine in the morning. They always eat their meals together and discuss anything that came to mind, usually about their plans for the day.

"Shin Hye, don't make plans for today. I want you to stay at home with me." her mom said.

"Huh? Why?"

"I have visitors later and I want you to meet them."

"Why me? Why not Bom Unni instead of me?" she asked in confusion.

"Don't ask too many questions Shin Hye. You will know later on."

Shin Hye turned to look at Bom and Jung Min, silently asking them if they know what it was all about, but they just shrugged their shoulders. They too were clueless to their mom's intentions.

"Shin Hye, when are you going to enroll for this coming semester?" her dad asked.

"I'll go to the university on Monday, Dad."

"Do you have all your credentials with you from your previous school?"

"Yes, Dad. I already got all my credentials before I left Paris so I won't be having problems."

"Good. See to it that you enroll on Monday, alright?"

"Yes, Dad."

Shin Hye went to Paris when she was fifteen. She stayed with her Aunt Mi Ja, her dad's sister for five years. She only went home for vacation and on special occasions. Last month, she finally decided to come home for good after her Aunt Mi Ja got maried and planned to migrate to the States to live with her husband.

"You don't have to worry about your enrolment. Someone will assist you on Monday." her mom cut in, a mysterious smile playing on her lips.

"Who?"

"You'll meet them later." 

"Shin Hye, after you meet Mom's visitors I want you to go to Dara's house. She called me up early this morning and invited us over to their house." Bom said.

"Alright. I'll meet you there later." she replied.

 

************************************************

 

Shin Hye is at her room staring at the same page of the book she's trying to read. Her mind kept wandering back on the week she was in Indonesia, thinking of her nemesis/friend. She had to admit to herself that she kinda miss him.

A silly smile kept playing on her lips as she recalled those days with him. She and Yong Hwa spent the remainder of their vacation together. They went sight-seeing, shopping and joined the activities offered by the hotel such as spelunking, sea diving, and zip lining. 

A knock sounded on the door, interrupting her thoughts.

"Shin Hye, your Mom is calling you downstairs, the visitors are almost here. She's waiting at the entertainment room." one of their servants told her.

"Alright. Tell her I'll be down in a few minutes."

 

***********************************************

 

Yong Hwa sat with his mom on the car being dragged to who knows where. All she said was that he needed to go with her and visit a friend.

"What are you thinking, Yong? Why do you have that silly smile plastered on your face for the past fifteen minutes?" his mom asked.

"Nothing." he replied.

He was actually thinking of Shin Hye and the few days they spent together. Those days were very memorable to him. He learned a lot about her and also shared a lot about himself.

'Hays! You're so stupid, Yong. Why did you forget to ask her number?' he thought in irritation. 'How are you going to find her now?'

He's been trying to look for her these past few days by calling every Park registered on the yellow pages. But it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. There were just too many Parks registered on the phone book. And the times there was a Park Shin Hye, they were either as old as his grandmother , a five year old child or mentally deranged. It drove him crazy.

'Maybe we're not meant to meet again.' he thought, suddenly turning sad.

"We're here!" his mom announced.

He stepped out of the car and stared in amazement at the huge mansion in front of him. The people who lived there is obviously as rich as Croesus for their mansion is very grand and vast.

As they stepped inside, they were ushered by a butler to a large room where they met with a beautiful lady who looked the same age as his mom.

"Hae Young! How are you, chingu?" the beautiful lady greeted his mom.

"Se Bin chingu! I'm great. You're beautiful as always. By the way this is my son, Yong Hwa, the one I was telling you about." his mom said, turning to introduce them.

"What a handsome young man. He looks a lot like you, chingu."

"Thank you. I'm very proud of him." she beamed then turned to look at him. "Yong, this is my long time friend, Park Se Bin."

"Good morning, Ma'am. It's a pleasure to meet you." he greeted politely.

"The pleasure is mine, young man. Call me Auntie for we will see more of each other in the future and I want you to feel comfortable with me." she smiled graciously at him. "Please take a seat."

"Good morning!" he heard a familiar, cheerful voice greet them from the doorway. With a pounding heart, he turned to look at the door and saw Shin Hye.

Shin Hye's eyes widened in surprise when she recognized him then squinted in confusion.

He stood up with a smile, which she returned with a smile on her lips, and bowed to her in greeting. "Good morning."

"Shin Hye!" her mom called her. "It's good that you're here. Come sit with me." she invited, patting the space next to her.

Shin Hye obediently took her seat, bowing her head politely as she greeted Yong Hwa and his mom along her way.

"Hae Young chingu, this is my youngest daughter that I was telling you about." her mom said. "Shin Hye, this is my chingu Hae Young and her son Yong Hwa."

"Good morning. It's nice to meet you." she greeted them, throwing furtive glances at Yong Hwa.

"You're probably wondering why we dragged you here, right?" Se Bin asked with a smile on her face.

They both nodded.

"Hae Young and I are childhood friends. We grew up together and treated each other as siblings. When we were in high school we made a pact. Then when we got to College, we lost contact for she went to the States. When she returned, she tried to contact me but we're no longer living at our old house."

Shin Hye and Yong Hwa are listening intently, still confused, wondering what they had to do with this meeting.

"To cut the story short, a few months ago we met again when Hae Young's husband decided to merge with our company. We met at one of the company's party. In one of our conversations we got to talk about the pact we made."

"What's the pact? And what does that have to do with us?" Shin Hye asked, unable to curb her curiosity any longer.

Se Bin turned to look at Hae Young and asked her to explain.

Yong Hwa's mom took a deep breath and looked at them both.

"You see, Se Bin and I were very close and we wanted to be sisters for real. So we made a promise that if we got married and have kids then we'll match them up." Hae Young smiled sheepishly, as if just realizing the absurdity of their pact. "Since I have you Yong and she has Shin Hye, and you're both of the same age, well.... uhm... we want you two to date... and eventually get married."

Shin Hye and Yong Hwa were stunned speechless at their announcement.

"WHAT?!" Shin Hye exclaimed as she recovered from her stupor. She jumped up from her chair and looked at them in disbelief. "Are you out of your mind?"

"Yah! Shin Hye, don't be rude." her mom reprimanded her.

Yong Hwa sat quiet on the sofa, still stunned speechless.

"I'm sorry if I sound rude, but... but... you've got to be kidding me!" she said in a hoarse voice, trying to hold back from exploding in anger. Her natural rebelliousness coming to the fore. She hated being ordered around, but she hated it more when someone tries to interfere with her life.

"Do you realize how absurd your request is? Mom, we're already in the twenty-first century, not in some Victorian era where you can arrange your child's marriage. That is just so not done today!" she ranted, pacing around the room in agitation.

Yong Hwa who was slowly recovering from his stupor was insulted at Shin Hye's adamant objection to their mom's request. He thought she was objecting to the idea of dating him.

"Yah! It's not as if I'm eager to date you, much more marry you!" he snapped at her.

Shin Hye stared at him, just realizing that he mistook her objection to their mom's request. She realized that he thought she was rejecting him.

"Don't tell me you want to be ordered around by them and to tell you who to date?" she asked. "Don't you want to have the option to choose who to marry on your own without their pressure?"

Yong Hwa stopped to think and digest what she said. She's right. He wanted to choose the girl he wanted to date on his own without his mom's interference, but he was not averse to dating her. It irked him to see that she does not have the same response. 

"Hmp!" was all he could utter in annoyance.

Shin Hye, on the other hand was a little bit sorry for her outburst earlier.

'Sorry Yong, it's not that I don't want to date you. I just don't want to be forced in anything. If we're going on a date, I want it to be because you like me and not because you're Mom told you to do so.' Shin Hye thought sadly.

"Both of you calm down." Se Bin hushed at them.

"Yes, calm down kids. We're not telling you to get married tomorrow. All we're asking is for you to go on a date, get to know each other and see if it can lead to something more." Hae Young explained calmly.

But Yong Hwa was still annoyed at Shin Hye, so to get back at her and try to save his pride, he exclaimed:

"Date? Do you want to ruin my reputation? I don't date old maids!"

"Hey! I'm not an old maid!" Shin Hye snapped at him. "I'm just twenty!"

"Huh? Really? I don't believe that!" he provoked her.

"Gggrrr!!! You're so annoying! If you don't like to date old maids, then I don't like to date a walking bamboo stick!" she shot back at him.

"You! Aish! You get on my nerves!"

"Well, you started it first!"

While the two were busy bickering, the two moms were busy whispering and giggling as they talked about them.

"Aigoo! Look at these two. Can you feel the spark of attraction between them? It makes me shiver with excitement! Hahaha!" Hae Young giggled.

"Uh-huh! And they look cute together." Se Bin chuckled merrily.

"I've never seen Yong this animated and alive before. He's usually so calm and collected, as if nothing can faze him. People even say that he's as cold as ice."

"Well, Shin Hye's always been a flirt. She's always gracious to handsome young men. This is the first time I saw her react this way to a man."

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking, chingu?"

"They're falling for each other!!!" they both squealed softly, chortling with glee.

"Aaawww chingu! I think they'll give us handsome and beautiful grand kids!"

"Ooohhh!!! From what I can see, it won't be long 'till we have little tykes running around our house!" they both giggled like school girls while the two continued bickering.

The two moms looked at them with a big smile on their face as they both shouted at the same time:

"I'LL NEVER GO OUT ON A DATE WITH YOU!!!"

 


 

 

A/N:  Hi guys!!! I'm very sorry for the late update!!!

Thank you for waiting patiently....

I hope you'll continue to read and support this fic....

I hope you'll like this chapter...

Please leave your comments on this chap...

 

BELATED HAPPY HEARTS DAY!!!!