That's What Friends Are For

Invisibility 101
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

"God, is she at it again?"

 

"You know, Jieqiong, what you're doing is something bordering to... Hmmm... What do they call it? Oh. Obsession."

 

"Oh shut up guys. Will you quit with all that judging and just support me with my decisions? That's what friends are for, right?", Jieqiong rolls her eyes at the two girls in front of her and then looks at the table where the most gorgeous and interesting being, in her opinion, sat.

 

"Indeed, Jieqiong. And you do know, us friends, are also the one in charge of making sure that you don't do anything stupid.", the girl with black hair that falls onto her shoulders, the one beside her, remarks, playing a little with her food using her fork.

 

"And a perfectly good example of stupidity is what you're doing right now. I should be in the student council room right now. I still have a meeting, you know?", the girl who had cat-like eyes adds, completely looking bored as she takes a sip of her diet soda.

 

"Hey Minkyung, can't you like make a rule that prohibits obsession and just being completely weird by looking at the same person for the entire day? Or spying at the same person for an entire week?", the girl with the bob cut hairstyle asks, slightly nudging the girl beside her.

 

"Sadly, no. I can't do anything about the rules, Kyungwon. Aside from enforcing them, I can't change any of them.", the girl named "Minkyung" sighs.

 

"Kyungie, have you seen Eunwoo around?", the girl beside Jieqiong asks.

 

"No, Yebin. I'm pretty sure she's just around here somewhere.", the girl named "Kyungwon" answers while trying to scan among the sea of students, looking for Eunwoo.

 

"Oh please. You know it's impossible to find her at this time. That idiot just shows up whenever she feels like it.", Minkyung says and plays with her phone.

 

"And she always ends up showing up at the wrong place and at the wrong time.", Jieqiong adds, still focusing on that girl she's been looking at for an entire hour.

 

"God Jieqiong can't you please stop looking like a crazy, obsessed woman right now? You're practically undressing her with the way you're looking at her!", Yebin shouts, making some students in the cafeteria look at their table.

 

"YAH!", Jieqiong flicks Yebin's forehead which earns her a scowl from the girl. "Don't shout! It's like an amphitheatre in here!"

 

"Hate to admit it, Jieqiong. But she does have a point.", Minkyung shrugs nonchalantly.

 

"Why can't you just approach her? You know? Like what a normal person would do?", Kyungwon suggests, emphasizing the word, "normal".

 

"Yeah. Look, take it from me. You have nothing to lose. Just go and talk to her.", Minkyung prompts.

 

Yebin snickers at this, "What are you? Some sort of love guru now?" Kyungwon stiffles her laugh then gives Yebin a high-five. Minkyung glares at the two which makes the two behave themselves and focus on their food.

 

Jieqiong looks at Minkyung who has a soft smile on her lips. Jieqiong looks down, feeling slightly discouraged, "I don't know how to. I'm afraid she wouldn't understand me that much yet."

 

Minkyung gives Jieqiong a pat on the head. She can clearly understand Jieqiong's situation. Jieqiong is one of the transferee students from China that decided to study here in Korea. Since she is part of the student body, she kinda had the responsibility to ensure that the transferees can fit right in and that's how she became friends with a Zhou Jieqiong. And time passed by and their group of friends grew bigger, including Kyungwon, Yebin and Eunwoo. Jieqiong actually adapted to the environment she's in quite quickly. She made so many friends since she has a heart of gold, charismatic appeal and not to mention, an exotic beauty and charm that just gets everyone enchanted by her. That also earned her lots of suitors but the Chinese didn't really mind. She barely understood what they were telling her anyways. The sweet nothings, proposals and stuff. Nope. She barely picked those up.

 

Since she has little time here, she still needs to learn a lot in terms of the culture and language. But Minkyung thinks so otherwise. The girl was quick to pick up lessons and was quite a learner. She thinks that Jieqiong's Korean skills are superb, that sometimes she even sounds like she's a native in this country. She thinks that the girl is just being worried and getting a little scared about asking someone out here in Korea for the very first time.

 

Minkyung gives her a reassuring smile, "Look, just go for it. It may not be now, but I know you can do it soon."

 

Jieqiong smiles at her, "Thanks, unnie. That's a real confidence booster."

 

"Yep. She's become a love guru. Wow. There are miracles in this world.", Yebin butts in, slow clapping. Kyungwon just nods slowly, silently agreeing to what Yebin has said. 

 

"The bitter, anti-romance student body representative is actually giving an advice about love to our beloved friend, Zhou Jie---."

 

Yebin did not finish her sentence because Minkyung had already stood up from her seat and hit the younger girl upside her head.

 

"Aish this moron. Stop being such a mood ruiner.", Minkyung scolds Yebin while the latter rubs the part where Minkyung hit her. Kyungwon laughs at the two, enjoying the scene in front of her. "That goes for you as well, Kyungwon.", Minkyung hits the top of Kyungwon's head with a chop before sitting down beside her.

 

Kyungwon looks incredulously at her and is about to ask why when Minkyung cuts her off, "Stop encouraging her."

 

Kyungwon just pouts at her and Yebin does the same. Minkyung crosses her arms over her chest, "Nope. Not going to work. That's what you get for pissing me off."

 

Jieqiong laughs at her friends. She's really thankful to have such wonderful friends. Minkyung, the student body representative, who everyone thinks is charming and beautiful but she can be as cold as ice if she wanted to. That's just how she goes but deep inside, she's just a big ball of fluff and quite a er when it comes to puppies and kittens. Yebin, the person who just seems to poke the fun out of everything, making every serious situations into a joke. In short, she's just a total idiot. Kyungwon, the person who just seems to agree with everything that Yebin does and also joins forces with her when it comes to teasing Minkyung. Maybe that's the reason why the two share the same surnames, which is "Kang". They were probably destined to annoy a certain Kim Minkyung for the rest of her unimmortal life. If Minkyung is immortal though, God... You can never imagine the number of times she's probably going to ask to just be dead. Lastly, Eunwoo, oh Jung Eunwoo. the person who just seems to be always missing in action, always late on the latest gossip or happening in their little circle of friends. The person who is nowhere to be found and is known to ruin important moments. There are a lot of times when she did that but Jieqiong couldn't just name one since she already made a ton of them. And it was a total pain the .

 

"What is with this girl anyways? Why is our little Jieqiong so interested in her?", Kyungwon suddenly asks, looking at Jieqiong.

 

"She's just someone.", Jieqiong coyly answers, looking back at the table she was looking at earlier.

 

"Pssh. Just answer the question, Zhou. Stop playing mind games.", Yebin irritately says.

 

"She's Im Nayoung. She's in the Chemistry department. And the girl with her is Kim Sejeong, from the Humanities department.", Minkyung tells them, eyes looking a bit tired, her chin resting on her right palm.

 

The two Kangs looks at Minkyung and then cranes their heads to look at the table Jieqiong was staring at, their mouth slightly open.

 

"How'd you know?", the two Kangs asks simultaneously.

 

Minkyung rolls her eyes then points to herself, "Uhm, hello? Student body representative here. Of course I know."

 

"So what's with this Im Nayoung anyway? What's so special about her?", Kyungwon asks, taking a bite from her sandwich.

 

"Yeah. I know Sejeong since, well she's popular.", Yebin says, rubbing her chin. "I haven't even seen her, that Nayoung. Heck, I didn't even knew she existed in the first place!", Yebin remarks, adding gestures to what she said to emphasize her point.

 

"How the heck should I know? Ask Jieqiong! Not me!", Minkyung tells the two Kangs and plays with her phone again.

 

Jieqiong continues to stare at Nayoung's table and she notices how the two stood up from their seats, leaving the cafeteria. "Ow... They left already...", she whispers, utterly disappointed. Jieqiong focuses on their table again and she hears someone snap their fingers. She looks up only to see Kyungwon with an irritating smile on her face. 

 

"Our little Zhou's in love~!", she sing-songs, slightly using a childish, irritating voice which of course not only annoys Jieqiong but Minkyung as well since the latter has a scowl drawn on her beautiful face.

 

Minkyung slaps Kyungwon's shoulder which earned a yelp from the girl with short hair. Kyungwon rubs the part where Minkyung hit her as if it actually hurt. Yebin just continues to eat up her food that was kinda dismembered now by the way since she was playing with it earlier. Jieqiong just laughs at how the two looked. She really enjoys it when these three are always arguing, bickering like there's no tomorrow. To her, that seemed like their normal routine. The two Kangs teaming up against Minkyung, pestering her like there's no tomorrow, then Minkyung retaliates which of course earns the two Kangs swollen heads and probably a ticket to the emergency room, if things get really bad. Jieqiong's just there, watching and enjoying, though sometimes she plays as the referee. Eunwoo, well, she's still out of sight.

 

Minkyung abruptly stands up from her seat, her phone in hand, dialling someone's number. The three girls who are left on the table exchange confused looks, probably wondering what Minkyung was up to.

 

Probably she's talking to one of the student council representatives, telling them that she'll catch up to the meeting that she was supposed to attend. Jieqiong starts to feel bad for dragging Minkyung along to her quest on spying on Im Nayoung.

 

Probably contacting her mom, telling her that she's still a lonely, lethargic single college girl who hasn't dated anyone for 40 centuries. Yebin snickers at the sudden thought, looking at Kyungwon who has the same smile on her face. The two extends their fists to each other, exhanging a fist bump.

 

Aish this two. Probably thinking of something stupid again. Jieqiong shakes her head at the two girls. Minkyung then later returns to their table, sitting beside Kyungwon again then shoves a piece of paper to Jieqiong's direction. Jieqiong looks quizzically at Minkyung, Minkyung just gestures to the paper and slightly leans onto Kyungwon's shoulder since she was starting to get a headache. Jieqiong looks at the paper that Minkyung has given her and notices that numbers were scribbled onto it.

 

Looking confused yet again, Minkyung answers all the question swimming in her head. "That's Nayoung's number. I managed to pull a few strings and that's all the info I can get about her.", Minkyung shrugs as if she hasn't done anyone a huge favor.

 

Jieqiong's eyes widen in shock and she jumps in so much glee, letting out a delighted squeal. The students in the cafeteria starts to look at them again and Minkyung starts to notice. "Hey, quiet will you?", she hushes Jieqiong and motions for her to sit down.

 

Jieqiong immediately complies, "Oh my God! Thank you so so so much, Minky! I owe you a lot! I could kiss you for this!", Jieqiong says excitedly, looking at the paper with so much disbelief, as if it is some sort of joke or an illusion.

 

Minkyung rolls her eyes, "Oh please that's disguisting, Jieqiong." Minkyung smiles at how happy Jieqiong looks, "Well at least that can be a start to your approach to her."

 

Kyungwon suddenly ruffles Minkyung's perfectly done hair which of course, makes the latter grimace at her, "Awww. Our Minky being a little softie, helping Jieqiong out."

 

Yebin wipes imaginary tears from her eyes, "I'm so proud that our very own Queen Elsa has found a way to thaw her frozen heart."

 

Minkyung rolls her eyes at the two Kangs' comments but there was a smile visible in her lips. Jieqiong laughs at her friends and looks at the piece of paper. She still can't believe that Minkyung just did that for her. Minkyung clearly supports her decision about Nayoung. And well these two Kangs kinda supported her? Well she's just going to assume that they are.

 

Jieqiong sighs contentedly. Well what can she say? That's what friends are for indeed.

 

 

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

 

 

It was one hell of a week for Jieqiong and her friends. Ever since this week started, they had to study their asses off since their professors started to bombard them with unexpected quizzes and recitations, here and there. It gave Jieqiong a huge migraine and not seeing Nayoung the entire week added to that pain.

 

I miss her... Jieqiong pouts while she tries to focus on the book that she's reading. She can't help but think of Nayoung every second of the day.

 

They are curren

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter