Chapter 1

Invisibility 101
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

All Nayoung ever wanted was to be invisible. To simply not mingle with these mere mortals that moves around her. People who so happen don't want to be like her. She notices how most people wants to be the center of attention, wants to be loved by everyone. But her "roommate" is quite different. Sejeong had always told her that she never really liked the attention. Kim Sejeong a.k.a the campus heartthrob, can make all men, women fall for her simple charms. I mean who wouldn't? With that deadly eyesmile and a pleasing personality, everyone wants to get near her as much as possible. With just a single flash of her infamous eyesmile, she can make all of the people around her fall in an instant, like literally. Some people faint whenever she does that.

 

While Nayoung, well let's just say she's the exact opposite of Sejeong. Never wants to talk to anyone, ignores everyone, doesn't give a damn about anyone. And that's why everyone wonders why the so-called "God Sejeong" (Nayoung actually came up with that nickname since almost everyone in their campus, even outside their campus seems to "worship" her) hangs out with her. She doesn't really like the attention, but whenever they walk together to campus, Nayoung would always be aware of all the things around her. The looks that people were giving them and as well as the constant buzzing of students whenever they enter the school premises. Nayoung actually points this out every time the two of them were having lunch at the school cafeteria, claiming that she should never hang out with her and also warns her about the possible destruction of her reputation if she continues to hang out with her. Sejeong's simple reply would just be a small shrug and a sly wink.

 

About the part where she doesn't give a damn about anyone. Well, not everyone. Nayoung thought that Sejeong had this special power to make her care for the younger girl. That would be flashing her those freaking puppy eyes. Sejeong knew about Nayoung's soft spot for puppy eyes. She found out about this when Sejeong was sick and can't attend her classes for the day. Nayoung already got her things ready and was about to leave when she hears her roommate calling her. She sighs and makes her way to Sejeong's room. Sejeong looks awful. She had a thermometer on , her eyes looked droopy, her snot was coming out of her nose and most importantly, Nayoung didn't feel her usual cheery aura that seem to infect everyone around her. Well maybe except for Nayoung.

 

Sejeong motions for Nayoung to come closer. Nayoung obliges and sits on the chair beside Sejeong's bed. Nayoung just blankly stares at her. God, she really looked awful.

 

"Nayoungie...", Sejeong whimpers.

 

She also hates it whenever Sejeong calls her like that.

 

"Can you help me get up from bed? I have an important lecture today and I can't afford to miss it."

 

Nayoung sighs and looks at Sejeong's current state. She notices the younger girl shivering, probably because of the air conditioner. Nayoung looks at Sejeong's face and notices that the girl was looking at her with those eyes. 

 

Really Sejeong? You're going to use those puppy eyes on me too?

 

Nayoung just keeps her blank face on. After a minute of just staring at each other, Nayoung gives in. She then stands up from her chair, moves to the air conditioner and adjusts it to the right temperature.

 

"There. Better?"

 

Sejeong nods. She sniffs and tries to move out of bed. But before she can do that, Nayoung was already by her side, stopping her from doing so.

 

"Oh hell no, Sejeong. You are not going to school at your current state. You need to rest.", Nayoung says as she gently pushes Sejeong back to bed.

 

Sejeong looks like she was about to protest but Nayoung stops her again. She stares at her roommate again and notices that she had that look on her eyes again. Nayoung sighs.

 

"I'll just sit in on that class of yours and take down notes for you.", Nayoung gently offers and by gentle I mean in an awkward way.

 

She notices how Sejeong's brown eyes light up with joy.

 

"Really?!"

 

"Yeah, yeah. Now go rest before I change my mind.", Nayoung grabs her backpack from the floor.

 

"You're the best, Im Nayoung!", Sejeong shouts, and then gives her a thumbs up together with her signature eye smile.

 

Nayoung couldn't stop the small smile that forms on her lips. Nayoung just shakes her head at Sejeong's antics and proceeds to the door.

 

"Don't do anything stupid while I'm gone!"

 

And with that, Nayoung skips most of her classes just to attend Sejeong's classes. And that's when Sejeong realizes that deep down, Im Nayoung really has a soft spot. She also took note of Nayoung's weakness. Puppy eyes. And it comes in handy whenever she wanted Nayoung to go with her whenever someone asks her out on a date.

 

Yes. Im Nayoung goes out to dates. Wait scratch that. Im Nayoung IS FORCED to go out on dates because Kim Freaking Sejeong drags her along whenever someone asks her out. Sejeong would always refuse dates that didn't include her. In short, they always go out on double dates. Nayoung, of course, sticking to her original plan, always tries her best to get away from Sejeong when this happens. But what can she do? They were roommates and there is nowhere else she can run besides the library or the usual cafe she and Sejeong goes to for coffee and cakes near their dorm. In the end, she is always forced to go out on dates since Sejeong always manages to find her.

 

Most of the times though, she always ditches Sejeong in the middle of dates. She always finds a way to excuse herself and just go to the women's lavatory and then she makes her escape. Rude, yes, but she just really WANTS to be FREAKING invisible. Meaning, not seen or cared about by anyone. Sejeong would always scold her whenever she gets back to their dorms. Nayoung just looks at her with her signature blank stare and shrugs at Sejeong's remarks.

 

Sejeong just sighs whenever Nayoung does that. That's an indication that she doesn't want to talk about it and doesn't give a damn about it. She lets her off the hook, well, for now.

 

One time, Nayoung asks Sejeong why she keeps on dragging her along to her dates even though she refuses to go and gave a whole lot of explanation about how this is going to ruin her life and ruin her future and current plans. Sejeong shakes her head while laughing. Nayoung just looks at her in confusion.

 

"Look. I don't want you to be all alone here, all sulking and watching those French, Italian, Russian or whatever language those people use in the movies you watch. And I also know you already watched them billions of times.", Sejeong tells her with her arms flying around, probably trying to emphasize her point. "My reason's simple. I just want you to enjoy life, live a little. You know, life's not challenging without a little risk and without trying something new.", Sejeong says matter-of-factly.

 

"C'mon Nayoung~! Time for you to move out of your comfort zone. Live a little, yeah?"

 

Nayoung just stares at her momentarily and then resumes to watch her favorite French movie. Sejeong grunts and plomps down beside Nayoung. Nayoung feels the stare Sejeong was giving her. After a few minutes, she can't take it and eventually looks at the younger girl.

 

"What?", Nayoung asks, a bit irritated at how Sejeong was acting.

 

"You know, it's just a small favor to ask. And you do owe me.", Sejeong says and crosses her arms over her chest.

 

"I owe you how?", Nayoung asks and continues to watch her film.

 

"Hmmm. Remember all the times when I almost had an actual girlfriend? And then you do that totally messed things up? You owe me all those times you did that. And doing this is something that can return the favor."

 

Nayoung contemplates on what Sejeong had just said. And then it hit her. Nayoung snickers at the memory. More likely, memories.

 

 

 

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

 

 

There were A LOT of times that Sejeong could have possible had an actual girlfriend. It was actually one of the rare times that Sejeong didn't have to drag Nayoung along to one of her dates. These times are actually the ones Nayoung was thankful for since well she gets to be invisible like she always wanted. But that was only temporary.

 

First date that Sejeong had without Nayoung was with a blond-haired girl that was from another university. Her name was Kim Jiyeon if Nayoung remembers correctly. She was pretty and aside from the fact that the girl looked like a human Barbie doll, there was something about this Jiyeon that reminded her of those stereotypical blond girls that she had seen in one of the chick-flick movies she tried to watch. (She tried watching one of those films, she regretted it. Big time.)

 

So what happened was something like this. Nayoung was on her way back to their dorms. She had an umbrella with her that time because she listened to the weather forecast earlier that day and the weather man said that there was at least 69% chance of rain that day. The dude lied. There hasn't been a single drop of rain the entire day. She stops in front of their dorm's door, silently cursing the weather man for lying to her and to the people who actually believed his forecast, that's when she hears it.

 

She hears a soft groan coming from inside. Of course, Nayoung being Nayoung, she starts to panic.

 

Sejeong must be in trouble!

 

Nayoung then barges in their dorm and found Sejeong and someone was over her! It was a little hard to make out since the lights were out and their dorm was dim. Sejeong releases another soft groan and Nayoung did something she shouldn't have done. With her right hand firmly holding her umbrella, she hits the person "attacking" her roommate. She hits her. Hard. And also on the head. The person rolls off of Sejeong and fell on the ground. Nayoung then hears a familiar voice.

 

"Ouch!", Jiyeon screeches in pain.

 

"Holy ---!! Jiyeon?!"

 

Nayoung had a look of horror on her face, mirroring the look that Sejeong also had on her face. Oops. Looks like Im Nayoung just ruined their make out session. They still had that look for a few more seconds while Jiyeon was rubbing her probably swollen head.

 

"Oh my god! I am so sorry, Jiyeon! I didn't know it was you and I never knew that you were coming over!", Nayoung tries to explain herself, helping Jiyeon up in the process.

 

Oh great. Way to go to keep yourself invisible! I bet you just made it in her revenge list.

 

Sejeong just sits on the couch, dumbfounded. She still can't believe that Nayoung just did that. Jiyeon then fixes herself up and gathers all her things on the floor.

 

"I think I have to go now, Sejeong. It's getting pretty late.", Jiyeon says, a bit in a hurry.

 

She bids the two of them farewell and makes her way out of the room. Nayoung just stares at the door, regretting the things she had done. She was on that position when suddenly a throw pillow hit her on the side of her face. She turns to Sejeong, who was slightly fuming.

 

"Yah! Didn't I texted you about Jiyeon?!"

 

"You freaking ! How am I supposed to talk to her now? I bet she's going to dump me."

 

"No one told you to bring your girlfriend over here just so you can have a make out session! And what the actual hell, Sejeong?! You said it was going to be a study date! Not a steamy make out session!"

 

"I did tell you, didn't I? And for your information, she's not my girlfriend. Yet. Well,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter