Chapter Eight - All That for a Cucumber

By Magic

MY POV:

 

  Four blocks down from my house, in the opposite direction of the school, is a shopping mall. It has everything; kiosks, twenty different food venders, tons of shops and outlets, and even a movie theater. If we ever need anything besides groceries we can usually find it here.

 

  On a mission, I marched into the GameStop store and headed straight to the back where they sell the playstations.

 

  “Can I help you find anything?” The nerdy guy in glasses behind the counter called out to me.

 

  “I need a playstation.” I knew this was the best route for keeping guys from being bored.

 

  He showed me the ones they had for sale and I picked out a PS3 with four controllers.

 

  Then I wandered over to the games. “And I also need a game or two...preferably multiplayer games.”

 

  He showed me the multiplayer section, and I ended up picking out Call of Duty 4 and Little Big Planet, because who knows what those guys are into.

 

THE GUYS POV:

 

  The guys were gathered around my laptop watching Youtube videos.

 

  Jin scrunched up his face. “How did we end up on the weird side of Youtube?”

 

  “It’s Taehyung’s fault. He kept clicking.” Yoonhoo replied over Jin’s shoulder.

 

  BamBam exclaimed while pointing at the screen. “Oh! What’s that? Click on that one!”

 

  “What?”

 

  Jin clicked on it. “It’s a video about cats...and they are scared of cucumbers!”

 

  Hoseok was falling on the floor with laughter.

 

 “Omo! Guys come look at this!” BamBam called out to Jackson and Namjoon who were standing in the corner having a heated discussion about who could rap better.

 

  “I’m too comfortable to get up.” Yoongi said lazily from the bed.

 

 The rest of the guys crowded around the screen, laughing at the cats as they freaked out and jumped in the air when they saw the cucumber behind them.

 

  “Look Youngjae! Cats hate cucumbers as much as you do!” Jaebum snorted.

 

  Youngjae took one look at the screen and let out a horrified screech, running away to hide in the closet.

 

  “But it’s just a video….”

 

  “You guys know I hate cucumbers! Wae do you do this to me? Wae?!!” He called out.

 

  Hoseok cackled. “We should try this on Chanel and see what she does!”

 

  Jungkook was already down the stairs headed for the kitchen. A few minutes later he came back up. “I don’t see any cucumbers… I don’t think there are any in the house.”

 

  “Thank God.” A disgruntled Youngjae mumbled from the closet.

 

  Taehyung and Jimin looked at each other with mischievous smiles. “We could always go out and get one!”

 

  Jaebum frowned. “I don’t think that’s a good idea. We said we would stay here.”

 

  “We’ll be quick. It won’t take more than a few minutes. The shops are right down the road.” BamBam grinned.

 

  Jaebum looked at Namjoon and Sunhyeok. They shrugged.

 

  He sighed. “Arasso...But we will go and come right back.”

 

  “You coming Youngjae?” Jinyoung tapped on the closet door.

 

  “No.” Came the definite pout.

 

  The guys headed down the stairs.

 

  “Hey Yoongi! Let’s be like a tree and leave.” Jin said, laughing at his cheesy dad joke.

 

  “Ani. I’m gonna be like a rock and do nothing.” The rapper said unphased, with his eyes still closed.

 

  Jin chuckled and followed the rest out the door.

 

  Jinyoung suggested thoughtfully. “Maybe we should wear our masks so nobody recognizes us.”

 

  “Oh good idea!” Mark said, pulling his out of his pocket and looping it over his ears, covering his mouth and nose.

 

  The others joined in, covering half their faces with the black and white masks. Jaebum pulled his baseball cap down over his eyes and Namjoon put on his Aviators, looking like a boss.

 

  “We about to take over this town!” Jimin joked.

 

  Taehyung and Jungkook joined in. “We are Bangtan!”

 

  Once they arrived at the shops, they got distracted by all the delicious sights and smells.

 

  “We should get some food. I’m starving!” Seongho whined.

 

  Jinyoung grabbed one of the carts out of the stack by the front door.

 

  Hoseok’s eyes lit up. “Let’s have a race!”

 

  Seongho hopped in one, manned by Jungha and Yoonhoo. Jackson let out a high-pitched shriek and jumped in another, with BamBam and Mark pushing him. And last but not least, contestant number 3 bringing up the rear: Namjoon, pushed by Taehyung and Jimin.

 

  “Namjoon...you’re supposed to be the leader.” Jaebum tsked.

 

   “I can’t let Jackson beat me!” He cried in defense.

 

  Jackson pouted like a chipmunk. “Why are you always so cold to me, Namjoonie?”

 

  “Because I have to be good at something! You’re already better at rapping than I am.”

 

  “Am not!”

 

  “Are too!”

 

  “Children! Don’t make me turn this cart around.” BamBam warned playfully.

 

  Readying their engines, the boys poised for take off.

 

  Jungkook grinned and yelled, “Chong! Jojun! Balsa! (Ready! Aim! Fire!)”

 

  And with that, everyone was off like bats out of hell.

 

 

MY POV:

 

  On my way out of the mall, my stomach growled, reminding me that I hadn’t eaten dinner yet. That means the guys probably haven’t either. I thought about calling the house but they would never pick up the phone. I should really get their numbers.

 

  “Well, since I’m here I might as well pick up something for dinner.” I said thoughtfully, peering across the street at the grocery store.

 

  Adjusting the heavy bag on my arm, I made my way over in search of something yummy but affordable, since I had just blown most of my allowance on this gaming device. “Yay! More ramen!” I smiled, glad I wasn’t sick of it yet.

 

  Setting the GameStop bag down in a shopping cart, I steered it towards the pasta aisle. Stocking up on ramen, I pushed the cart down each row, picking up other items that would make good snacks, as well as some kitty food for Chanel.

 

  I had just picked up a box of fruit snacks when out of my peripheral vision, I glimpsed a blur whizzing past the end of the aisle.

 

  “What the….?” I blinked, shaking my head and going back to my task at hand.

 

  A second or two later, another blur whizzed past.

 

  I whirled around. Curiosity getting the better of me, I ran to the end of the aisle and looked out, just as Jungha rounded the corner pushing a shopping cart with Seongho in it.

 

  I stood there in shock. “What are you doing here?!”

 

  “Uhhh...We uhhh…” Jungha mumbled, looking over at Yoonhoo for an answer.

 

  Seongho looked up cutely from his seat in the shopping cart, trying to make me forget to be angry. He made finger hearts and smiled, squinting his eyes closed.

 

  The rest of the guys came around the corner behind them and stopped short, all eyes on me.

 

  “Oh… annyeong!” Jinyoung said awkwardly.

 

  I crossed my arms. “Alright. Why did you leave the house?” My authoritative eomma side was showing.

 

  “We came to get a cucumber.” Yugyeom stated calmly, like it was the most normal thing in the world.

 

  “Excuse me?”

 

  “We were watching cat videos on your laptop and wanted to see if Chanel is as scared of cucumbers as Youngjae is.” Youngjo snickered.

 

  Just then, high pitched squeals could be heard echoing across the building. I couldn’t make out much but I heard Aish! and Jackson! I rolled my eyes and face palmed.

 

  Namjoon and his posse came zooming around the corner followed by Jackson, BamBam and Mark. Jackson was holding a cucumber and grinning like a pabo.

 

  They skidded to halt at the sight of me standing there with the other guys.

 

  “Oops.” Mark cringed.

 

  The loudspeaker crackled to life and announced a disturbance on aisles 7-9.

 

  Namjoon’s eyes bugged out.

 

  Taehyung hid behind Jimin. “Sheet.”

 

  I sighed and held out my hand. “Give me the cucumber. I will pay for it. You guys get out of here. Go back to the house. Now!”

 

  Jaebum and Sunhyeok rounded up the guys, herding them as quietly as possible towards the exit. I made my way to the register to check out with the infamous cucumber in tow.