Chapter Nine - The Cat and the Cucumber

By Magic

MY POV:

 

  Back at home, I found Jaebum in the kitchen. He was putting away dishes in the sink. The house smelled of ramen. He helped me with the heavy bags, setting them down on the counter.

 

  “Oh, did you already eat?” I began putting the groceries away.

 

  “Yea. We made ramen.” He chuckled as he pulled the cucumber out of one of the bags, setting it down on the counter.

 

  I pulled out the ingredients to make myself some stir fry with. “Arasso.”

 

  It sounded like a concert was going on upstairs. Very loud singing and some high-pitched squeals echoed through the house. Smiling to myself at the falsetto rendition of Not Today, I began making dinner. Namjoon screeched out a high note, trying to imitate Jimin. I almost dropped the frying pan from laughing so hard. Jaebum was laughing as he retreated back upstairs.

 

  With dinner in one hand and the playstation in the other, I climbed the stairs to join the group. The music got louder. The whole house was booming. I pushed open the bedroom door to find Jungkook, Yugyeom, Hoseok, Seongho, and Jackson having a dance battle. I’m pretty sure Yugyeom was winning.

 

  There was barely any standing room left. I squeezed passed Jinyoung and Youngjo who were standing right by the door and inched my way past my bookshelves to my desk.

 

  Setting down the bag, I pulled out a can of cat food for Chanel. Looking around though, I didn’t see her. Where did she go?

 

  Across the room, Jaebum waved to get my attention. He pointed towards an unsuspecting Youngjae sitting in the corner on my beanbag. Chanel was creeping towards him playfully. Before he knew what hit him, the kitten had pounced and was climbing up his pants leg.

 

  With a yelp, he pried the kitten off his leg gingerly, trying not to breathe as he handed her off to Jungha standing next to him. I held up the cat food can and Jungha brought the kitten over for her dinner.

 

  He set her down on the floor and I put the food in front of her. She gobbled it up quickly, making cute purring noises.

 

  “Hey what's in the bag?” Taehyung, who was sitting on the edge of the bed, was eyeing the large opaque plastic bag laying on top of my desk.

 

  I grinned, pushing it towards him. “Why don’t you find out?”

 

  He looked nervous.

 

  “It’s not bad. I promise.” I let out a laugh. “It’s a gift.” The others were curious now too.

 

  Taehyung reached into the bag and pulled out the playstation box. “WAAAAHHHH!” His eyes lit up. “Jinjja?!?!”

 

  “You got us a playstation?!” BamBam was ecstatic.

 

  The guys crowded around as BamBam and Taehyung tore into the box, pulling out the components.

 

  “This way you will have something to do while I’m gone to school!” I smiled. “I picked out some games for you as well.”

 

  “Gomawo!”

 

  “Thank you!”

 

  “Sweet!”

 

  “Kamsahamnida!”

 

  “Omo! I love Little Big Planet!”

 

  “Youngjae, I will totally beat you at this.” Jackson held up Call of Duty.

 

  Youngjae grinned. “Oh, it’s on.”

 

  I sat on the bed next to Jin while the others piled around the TV and began the task of setting up the playstation. As I took a bite of my stir fry, I noticed Jin’s puppy dog face staring back at me.

 

  “You want some?” I held out the food.

 

  He nodded sheepishly. “We already ate but I’m still hungry.”

 

  I chuckled and handed him the bowl. “There’s more downstairs. You can have this one.”

 

  “Thank you.” He said cutely between mouthfuls.

 

  As I got myself another bowl of food, I picked up the cucumber up off the counter to take it back upstairs with me.

 

  Seongho was sitting cross-legged on the floor next to Chanel. The kitten was sprawled out on her blanket, her whiskers happily.

 

  Hoseok noticed the cucumber in my hand. “Let’s see what she does!”

 

  The other guys turned away from the TV to watch.

 

  I handed it to him and he set it down behind the cat. Unsuspectingly, she turned her head to look at him, not even noticing the odd thing laying on the floor. She yawned cutely.

 

  Hoseok just stood there. “Is that it?”

 

  “How boring.” Jimin frowned.

 

  “That wasn’t what I expected…”

 

  BamBam and Yoonhoo looked disappointed.

 

  “Maybe she didn’t see it.”

 

  “Try again.” Mark insisted.

 

  Hoseok nudged the fruit closer to the lounging feline with his foot. The end of it touched her tail. She arched her back and jumped two feet in the air, running to hide behind Seongho.

 

  The guys were laughing. “Do it again!”

 

  Seongho picked her up, her fur protectively. “Poor Chanel.” He gave a glare to Hoseok, who shrugged with a grin.

 

  A groan came from the other side of the room behind my bed.

 

  Jin peered over the edge. “Oh, hey Yoongi! What are you doing down there on the floor?”

 

  “Trying to sleep. It ain’t working.” He glowered. “It’s too noisy in here.” With that, he disappeared into the posters.

 

  “Aw. Mianhae.”

 

  “It’s ok. He’s like that.” Namjoon chuckled.

 

  Seongho wouldn’t give up the cat, so the boys went back to fiddling with their playstation. They finally got everything set up and put in Little Big Planet to try it out.

 

  I slipped off the bed and sat down on the floor next to Seongho and Sunhyeok, reaching out to pet the little furball. “Is she ok?”

 

  Seongho nodded. “She’s purring again.” He set her down gently and watched her climb awkwardly over his lap. With a tumble, she rolled down off his leg and let out a tiny meow. Popping her head back up; her little black eyes staring back at us curiously.

 

  Sunhyeok giggled. “So cute!”

 

  “Yep. She sure is!” I couldn’t help but smile.

 

  “So you’re not mad I brought her home?” He asked warily.

 

  “Ani! Of course not! I love cats.”

 

  He grinned.

 

  By the time I looked back over, BamBam and Youngjae were already making their characters habitats.

 

  The door opened and closed downstairs.

 

  “It’s Mom.” I said when all eyes turned to look at the door.

 

   I went downstairs to say hello and goodnight to my mother. She looked exhausted.

 

  “Rough day?”

 

 She sighed, letting out a tired chuckle. “You have no idea. Sometimes I question why I even became a lawyer in the first place.”

 

  “I made some stir fry if you’re hungry.” I pointed to the leftovers on the stove.”

 

  “Thanks but I ate on the way here. I missed lunch. Right now, what I need is a good long soak in the tub.” She headed for her bedroom.

 

 “Ok. Good night Mom. Love ya.”

 

 “Good night. Love you too.” With a tired smile, she disappeared into the bathroom.

 

  I put the leftovers away in the fridge and the dishwasher, before heading back upstairs. Peeking my head into my bedroom, the boys were huddled around the playstation choosing costumes for their sack boys.

 

  “I’m gonna get ready for bed.”

 

  Sunhyeok looked up at me and nodded. Chanel was climbing up his sleeve.

 

  After finishing my nightly routine in the bathroom, I came back in with a bare face and found Mark taking up most of the bed. I pouted. He grinned up at me.

 

  “Markie, I’m tired. Please move?” I whined, tugging on his shirt sleeve.

 

  “Arasso!” He laughed. He moved out of the way and I quickly crawled under the covers. Jin was still leaning up against the headboard, watching the boys down on the floor bicker over who had the better sack boy.

 

  A yawn escaped me. It had been a long day. But I couldn’t sleep yet. The guys were still here. It would be rude, plus I didn’t want to miss anything fun. It was nice having friends to hang out with. I smiled happily.

 

  Jin cocked his head to the side. “What are you smiling about?”

 

  “I’m just thankful I have friends like you guys. I still don’t know how or why, but I am eternally grateful that it’s not a dream…” I looked over at him suspiciously. “It’s not a dream, is it?”

 

  “I don’t think so…” He laughed.

 

  We eyed each other. Reaching out, we pinched each others arm.

 

  “Ow!”

 

  “Yep, definitely not a dream.” He giggled, rubbing the sore spot on his arm.

 

  Another yawn escaped.

 

  “Why don’t you get some rest if you’re tired?”

 

  “Ani….I don’t want to miss all the fun.”

 

  “What fun? They’re just sitting there bickering.”

 

  I joined in with his laughter. Before I knew it, my eyelids were closing. My head drooped. Jin chuckled lightly, catching me before I fell off the other side of the bed and leaned my head against his shoulder.

 

  “Jaljayo.” He whispered.

 

BOYS POV:

 

  “Be quiet.”

 

  “Shhhh! You’ll wake her up.”

 

  “Your obnoxious shushing is gonna wake her.”

 

  “Seongho, come on. Put Chanel down.”

 

  “But I wanna stay and play with her.” Pout.

 

  “You can play with her tomorrow.”

 

  “Arasso.” Seongho gloomily set Chanel down on her little blanket and joined the others as they disappeared from sight.

 

  “Good night Chingu.” Jin smiled, removing me from his shoulder into a lying down position.

 

  “Sweet dreams.”

 

  “I’m hungry.”

 

  “Again?!”

 

  Shrug.

 

  “I’m gonna shower first.”

 

  “Yah! Says who?”

 

  “Says me. I’m older than you.”

 

  “Yea...only by 2 months...”

 

  “So eldest gets to shower first.”

 

  “So unfair.”

 

  “Shhhhh!”

 

  The voices faded and soon all was quiet. The moonlight filtered in through my bedroom window, casting shadows on the walls.

 

  Chanel latched onto the comforter and climbed her way up to where I was. She let out a big yawn and curled up in ball, snuggling beside me and falling fast asleep.