Chapter Thirteen - Date Night

By Magic

  I pulled open the front door to find Micah waiting. His phone was in his hand.

 

  “I was just about to call you. I wasn’t sure if I had the wrong house...” He blinked and took in my changed appearance. “Wow...you look pretty.”

 

  “Gomawo.” I blushed. Then realizing I had just spouted some Korean, I shrugged at his amused expression. “It’s a habit.”

 

  “That’s good! Keep practicing!”

 

  I backed up to let him inside. “Would you like something to drink?” I asked, heading to the kitchen to pick through the Coke cans and bottled water we had available. I held up the choices.

 

  “Coke is fine. Thanks.” He set an unmarked bag down on the breakfast table.

 

  I peered at it curiously. “What’s in the bag?”

 

  He grinned and pulled out some Korean snacks.

 

  “Waaah! Daebak! Where did you get all this!” I exclaimed; my mouth watering at the sight of the fruit chews and Pepero he held up.

 

  “A friend of mine works at a Korean grocery store downtown. Whenever we hang out, he shares snacks with me.” Micah explained.

 

  Just then, my stomach grumbled, reminding me that I had forgotten to eat dinner.

 

  He handed me the box of Pepero I had been eyeing with a chuckle.

 

  “Thanks! Sounds like a cool friend!”

 

  “His name is RaeJin. His mom is Japanese and his dad is Korean. He grew up in Korea and moved to America when he was 15, so he speaks fluent Korean and English. I’ll introduce you to him sometime.”

 

  My eyes lit up with excitement. “Seriously, jinjja?!”

 

  He nodded with a grin. “Well I guess we better get started on the paper.”

 

  “Oh yea…” I had totally forgotten about the assignment.

 

  We sat down side by side on couch to work on the project. After taking another swig of Coke, Micah pulled out one of his class textbooks and a binder.

 

  Opening the binder to the first page, he looked up and said, “All I have so far is the title: The Cultural Influence of Music in South Korea."

 

  “Well, most people think of Kpop when they think of South Korea’s music, but there are lots of other styles. Hiphop, rock, indie, traditional. Music in Korea was heavily influenced by the Japanese and English.”

 

  Micah looked at me in amazement. “I knew there was a good reason I asked you.” He glanced down at his book and jotted down some notes.

 

  There was a sudden rustle behind us. I looked over my shoulder, startled, to find Yugyeom, Jackson, Namjoon, and Youngjo's heads peeking out from around corner of staircase.

 

  Micah looked around. “What was that?”

 

  “Ah, nothing! I didn’t hear anything.” I rushed to distract him, all the while trying to discreetly signal the ones spying on us to retreat back into hiding.

 

  Micah glanced up and caught me in mid-wave, so I pretended to fan myself. “It’s kind of hot in here right?” I awkwardly laughed.

 

  “I’m fine.” He shrugged.

 

  Jackson thought I was waving, so he waved back cheerfully, grinning like a cheshire cat. Facepalm. I rolled my eyes and tried to ignore them.

 

  “So the Japanese and English influenced Korea’s music?” The pen paused in Micah’s hand.

 

  “Yea. From what I’ve read, when the Japanese invaded Korea they brought with them the Japanese culture. Same with when Korea became a democratic country with the help of the American military.”

 

  “You’re really smart!” Micah went back to taking notes.

 

  “So does that mean you like Kpop?” I asked curiously.

 

  “I love Kpop! My favorite group is Big Bang!”

 

  “Omg which is your favorite song?” My fangirl self was coming out.

 

  “Monster and Fantastic Baby!”

 

  “I know right! Bang Bang Bang is my favorite!” My excitement was through the roof as I realized I had found someone I could be myself with! We had so much in common. It was almost like fate.

 

  Another noise startled us. I jumped. Micah looked over his shoulder nervously.

 

  “I know you heard that.”

 

  I couldn’t say much.

 

  Just then, Chanel ran past his feet.

 

  “So that's what the noise was... You have a cat? Aw she's cute!” He lowered his hand down to the kitten’s level and let her sniff him.

 

  “Her name is Chanel.”

 

  “Hello Chanel.”

 

  She started purring right away, rubbing on his hand.

 

  “She likes me!” He grinned.

 

  Picking her up gently, he set her in his lap, her fluffy gray fur. She rolled over on her back and let him scratch her tummy.

 

  “She more than likes you. She trusts you. Cats don’t usually show their tummies to strangers.”

 

  The front door opened. Mom was home from the office.

 

  “Hi Mom.”

 

  “Oh hello...I didn’t know we had company.”

 

  “Hello, it's nice to meet you. I’m Micah. We go to school together.” Micah set the cat down and stood up, bowing slightly. His manners made me chuckle.

 

  “We were working on our school project.” I added.

 

  She smiled. “Well don’t let me interrupt you. I have to finish some paperwork.”

 

  Before she disappeared into her bedroom, she paused, looking down at her feet. Chanel was rubbing on her ankles.

 

  “Why is there a cat in our house?” She raised an inquisitive eyebrow.

 

  “Um yea...about that. Can I keep her?”

 

  “Can you take care of a pet? Who’s going to look after her while you’re gone to school?”

 

  “Well, that’s the beauty of cats, they don’t need a lot of care. Just food, water, and a litter box.” I wasn’t about to say the boys would probably be taking more care of her than I would.

 

  My mom pursed her lips thoughtfully. “Well… if you think you can. But if you don’t take care of her, she has to leave.”

 

  “Ok Mom.” I looked over at Micah.

 

  She exited the room to complete her office work.

 

  “Your mom is nice.”

 

  “Thanks.” I smiled nervously. “I forgot I hadn’t told her about the cat yet.”

 

 He cocked his head to the side. “By the way...Why did you laugh when I introduced myself?”

 

  “You bowed. I thought it was cute.”

 

  “It's a habit. I picked it from RaeJin.” He rubbed the back of his neck and chuckled.

 

  “We are so alike.” I laughed. “I got my mom saying arasso.”


  “Jinjja?” His eyes crinkled into a smile as he let out a laugh.

 

  As we shared some more laughs, I mustered up the courage to ask, “Why did you want to work with me? Why not ask your Korean friend?”               
 

  He looked right at me. The silence was bearing down on me. Finally, he smiled and replied, “Because I want to get to know you.”


  I wasn’t sure if it was his unwavering stare or the words he spoke, but my face had never blushed as red as it did that moment.

 

  I cleared my throat nervously. “Thanks.” It really was hot in here now.

 

  “Has anyone ever told you, you're cute when you blush.” Micah grinned.

 

  More blushing. I must look like a giant cherry tomato now. How lovely.

 

  The downstairs clocked chimed 11:30pm.


  “Is it already that late? Wow, time flies when you’re having fun!”

 

  “It’s not that late…”

 

  “You won’t like me when I turn into a pumpkin at midnight.” He joked.

 

  The image of a cute little chibi pumpkin with Micah’s face popped into my head, making me laugh. Everything about him is perfect. I can’t see him as anything but perfect.

 

  He laughed, looking down at his half written notes. “We didn't get much written today…”

 

  “Want to work on it again tomorrow after school?”

 

  “Sure! I didn’t bore you?”

 

  I shook my head and smiled. “I had fun. Thanks!”

 

  “Alright. See you tomorrow after school!”

 

  I got up and walked him to the front door. “Thanks again. And thanks for the yummy snacks!” I grinned.

 

  “No prob! Let me know when you run out and I’ll restock.” He winked. “Annyeong!”

 

  I watched him walk down the dark path to the street, lit up only by the front porch light. He turned around and looked back over his shoulder at me. With a smile, he waved goodbye and got into his red T-top Camaro, disappearing down the road.

 

  My phone buzzed in my back pocket.

 

  HAD A GREAT TIME TONIGHT. :)

  SEE YA TOMORROW! SWEET DREAMS

 

  I closed the door and leaned against it. My heart was still fluttering; a goofy grin plastered across my face.