Chapter Four - Detention

By Magic

 

The next morning, I had to get up and go to school. There was no weaseling out of it. Mom was rushing around downstairs, making coffee and packing her briefcase.

 

Just as my foot touched the bottom step of the stairs, she was on her way out the door. “Can you do your own breakfast today? I’m in a rush.”

 

I nodded. Poptarts it is. But I desperately needed a shower first, so I disappeared into the bathroom with my outfit for the day, skinny jeans and my BTS Wings Tour shirt, and my favorite black and white converse. Those shoes go with everything. The weather was supposed to be nice today, sunny and warm.

 

Picking out my GOT7 dog tag necklace, I slipped it over my head. As I dug through the rest of my jewelry, frustration built up inside me. “Alright, where is my bracelet? I know I put it back in here.” I rifled through some more piles of jewelry, even looking under my desk and bed. “Ugh! Why do my things keep disappearing?!”

 

All clean and dressed, I returned downstairs to pour myself a glass of orange juice and pick out a pack of chocolate s'mores poptarts. One for now and one for later.

 

UNKNOWN POV:

 

“Told ya.” Someone whispered.

 

“You owe me 20,000 won. Pay up, Jungha.”

 

Disgruntled sigh. “Arasso. Here. That money was gonna be for my fruit roll ups.”

 

“That’s a lot of fruit roll ups.”

 

“He’s addicted.”

 

“Better put the bracelet back before she gets home.”

 

“Aniya, not there! Somewhere less obvious!”

 

“Put it down beside the dresser like it might have fallen.”

 

“Don’t tell me what to do! You’re not my Eomma.”

 

MY POV:

 

Back upstairs, I munched on a breakfast pastry as I wandered around my room getting ready for school. Book bag, check. Headphones, check. Cellphone, check.

 

It was then that I noticed the drawing I had tried to do of Namjoon last night. It was no longer in a crumpled up ball by the trashcan. Now it was laying open and smoothed out on top of my desk. There was also a note on it in someone else’s handwriting. One word. Cute. I stared at it.

 

All I could come up with was that there was a ghost in my house that happened to like Kpop. Lucky me. Thankfully it seems friendly. It has horrible manners when it comes to personal property though.

 

Clock chimes echoed through the house, signaling I’d most likely be late for school again. With my confused brain about to blow a gasket, I left for school.

 

I discovered that because I had skipped class and the first day of detention, that I was still required to go to three days of detention. Oh joy.

 

The day crept by, as usual. Thankfully the taunting and ridicule were down to a minimum today. I don’t think I could tolerate it if it wasn’t.

 

That afternoon while exiting history class, I ran right smack into Micah on his way to basketball practice.

 

“Oh, mianha…..I mean, I’m sorry.” I mumbled with my head down, freaking out over what to do with myself now that I was actually interacting with my long time crush.

 

“You speak Korean?” He stared back at me in confusion.

 

I stuttered. “Ah...ne. A little. I’m learning.”

 

“Oh that’s cool! A friend of mine is Korean.” He smiled, making my knees wobble. “I’m late for practice. Catch ya later.” And he disappeared down the hall.

 

My shaking hand reached out to brace myself against the door jam. Micah just spoke to me. Like, an actually conversation. He knows I exist now. I think I need to sit down...I’m feeling a bit faint. The image of his perfect smile was engraved in my memory.

 

When I finally reached dreaded detention, I was still in a daze. Liz was perched on her throne at the very back surrounded by Katrina and Jared.

 

“Glad you could finally make it.” The teacher raised an eyebrow at me. “You’re new here. Please state your name in front of the class.”

 

Are you serious?! What did I ever do to deserve this humiliation? Suddenly in a sour mood, I stated my name and plopped down in a chair right in the front row. No way was I going to bare my back to people who can metaphorically, and probably physically, stab me when I’m not looking.

 

The door opened and in walked some more of the gang; Jared’s sidekick Teddy, and another guy I recognized but didn’t know his name. They stalked past me to join the rest at the back of the room. The second guy glanced down at me and winked, making an odd sensation of butterflies flurry in the pit of my stomach. To my dismay, they took seats right behind mine. My lips pursed in annoyance at the close proximity. I can just feel when someone is in my bubble. Drives me bonkers.

 

“You’ll be assigned partners….” Before the teacher even got the words out of , the room was filled with groans. She started again, with more demand. “You will be assigned partners. Your project will be to write about the importance of the Judicial System.”

 

We all looked around the room nervously.

 

The teacher glanced down at her clipboard. “Elizabeth and Katrina will work together. Jared and Teddy will work together.” Then she turned to me. “Which leaves you and Chase. You don’t mind working with a guy, do you?” At least she asked…

 

So his name is Chase. I got a better look at him when he moved up one row from behind me. His shaggy blonde hair hung into his brown eyes at a downward slant and he seemed fit, like maybe he plays soccer or something.

 

“Hey.” Was all he said.

 

But his blatant stare was making me nervous. My palms were starting to sweat. Why is he staring at me? Do I have leftover lunch on my face or something? I peeked a glance out of my peripheral vision at him. He grinned and winked again. Ok what is this?

 

The next words out of his mouth had me fumbling to make complete sentences. “You’re cute.”

 

I looked around. Surely he’s not talking to me. But he was still staring. Maybe he’s really blind. The teacher passed our desks and handed him a sheet of paper. He looked up and took it. Nope, he’s not blind.

 

“I ….uh…..” My mouth didn’t want to work.

 

“Usually you thank someone when they compliment you. Or at least that’s what I was taught. Maybe I’m wrong?” He smirked, making me feel all gooey inside.

 

A blush crept onto my face. “Thank... you.” He’s good-looking and funny.

 

The rest of detention was actually mostly painless, aside from the occasional snide remark from the peanut gallery in the back row. Writing the paper was pretty simple. Chase knew more about the government than I did, which surprised me, considering my mom is a lawyer; so we finished before everyone else was done.

 

On my way out the door, Chase called after me. “See ya tomorrow.”

 

I felt my cheeks heat up in embarrassment as he sent me another wink, and I quickly escaped out the door.

 

UNKNOWN POV:

 

“She should have been home by now, right?”

 

“What’s taking so long?”

 

“Do you think she got hurt? Maybe we should go check on her.”

 

“We’ve never been outside the house. How do we know we won’t disappear?”

 

“We don’t.”

 

“One of us should test the theory. Who wants to go?”

 

“Not me.”

 

“Why are you staring at me?!”

 

“Because you’re the youngest.”

 

“Kai, bai, bo?”

 

“Arasso.”

 

Shouts ensued as we attempted to outsmart each other with a game of rock, paper, scissors. Eliminated members let out happy exclamations of relief. It was down to the last two, Jimin and BamBam.

 

“KAI, BAI, BO!” Jimin shouted, losing to BamBam. “Nooooooo!!! Why do I have to do it?” He cried.

 

“Because you lost. Now man up.” Jungkook grinned, pushing him towards the front door.

 

Jimin timidly turned the doorknob, opening the door and letting the late afternoon sunlight stream in. He was starting to sweat. Peeking cautiously outside, he barely got his nose through the door before he heard the guys behind him.

 

“What do you see?”

 

“What’s out there?”

 

“Do you see your jams, Jimin?” Namjoon kidded with a smirk.

 

“Ha ha. Very funny.” Jimin scowled. He slowly stuck his arm through the door, screwing his eyes shut, waiting to de-materialize.

 

Jungkook shoved him outside, making him scream. Jimin stood shaking on the front steps.

 

He laughed. “Gwenchana. You’re not gonna disappear.”

 

The others piled out the door behind him, curiously peering around at all the interesting sights and sounds.

 

“Definitely not Korea.” Sunhyeok commented.

 

BamBam poked curiously at a nearby palmetto tree.“Yea, where are we anyway?”


“Welcome to America, boys!” Jackson exclaimed at the top of his lungs.