Chapter One - The Beginning

By Magic

    So some pretty crazy things have been happening to me lately…

  But before I get ahead of myself, I suppose I should introduce myself and set the stage for you.

 

   Hi, I’m just an ordinary teenager girl; a senior in high school, not that popular and not that talented. Not even really that pretty, compared to the popular girls at my school. I’m quiet and shy, keeping to myself most of the time. But I do have one passion. Music.

 

  Music is my life and my escape. I’m a huge Kpop fan. I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t a fan of Korean music. It has always been there for me, ever since one of my childhood friends with Korean heritage introduced me. It makes me happy and helps me forget my troubles.

 

  Anyway, I woke up one morning to find the stuff on my desk moved around. My colored pencils were scattered and strewn about like someone had knocked the jar over. And the three ring binder notebook that contains my doodles (that’s really are they are because I have no real talent) was lying open to the page where I had “attempted” to draw GOT7 chibis. “Attempted” being the key word here, and a poor attempt at that.

 

  Now you may think, that doesn’t really sound like much. But it’s important. I like to keep my room spotless (being the OCD neat freak that I am) and don’t have any siblings to rat up my belongings and my mom never comes into my room. And I distinctly remember putting my drawing stuff away last night after I finished. I eyed my desk suspiciously.

 

  I know what you’re thinking… Maybe some of my friends did it when I wasn’t looking. Well I don’t really have any friends. My childhood friends haven’t spoken to me in years since they moved across country. And most of the people I could barely clump into the friend category I only see at school and on field trips. Nobody ever comes over to hang out at my house. I told you I was shy.

 

  So here I am, sitting on my bed, staring at my desk that has been no doubt in my mind rearranged overnight and wondering how the heck it got like that, when I hear my mom calling me down for breakfast. My stomach grumbled in answer to her calls. With one last confused glance at the mess on my desk, I shook my head and hurried downstairs to eat before school.

 

UNKNOWN POINT OF VIEW:

 

  “Told you she’d notice. You should have been more careful like I told you to.”

 

  “Thankfully she didn’t realize her favorite bracelet is missing.”

 

  “Yet.”

 

  “Better put it back. She’s scary when she gets angry.”

 

  “But I like it.”

 

  “You said the same thing about that awful-looking jacket you bought last year.”

 

  “What are you trying to say?”

 

  “That your sense of fashion needs work.”

 

  “So does your face.”

 

  “Yah!” The sound of scuffling can be heard.

 

  “Quiet! She’ll hear us!”

 

  “You be quiet!”

 

MY POV:

 

  “Good morning, honey. Did you sleep well?” My mother greeted me as she set a steaming plate of food down at my spot at the breakfast table.

 

  I nodded, sliding into my seat and taking a big bite of sausage and homemade pancakes dripping with syrup. One thing I can never be disappointed by is my mom’s cooking. But rarely do I get to enjoy such a luxury because she works so much. Being a lawyer, most of her time is spent at the office or defending someone in court. So most of my meals are ramen or the occasional microwave pizza, or I just order delivery. But I don’t mind. Like any good Kpop fan, I have an unhealthy obsession for ramen.

 

  “Breakfast is great, Mom! Thanks!” I mumbled between mouthfuls, watching her flutter around the kitchen putting dishes away. “Aren’t you gonna eat?”

 

  She took off her apron and grabbed her black leather briefcase off the back of the sofa. “I already ate. We have a big case coming up, so I have a lot to prepare for. Put the dishes in the sink when you’re through. Have a good day at school.” Leaning down, she quickly kissed the top of my head. “Bye honey. I’ll be home late.” With that, she disappeared out the door.

 

  Scarfing down the rest of my meal, I dumped the plate in the sink and jogged back upstairs for a quick shower. After my bedhead was tamed, I pulled on some ripped jeans and a black hoodie. Comfort and style is my motto.

 

  As I sat down on the edge of my bed to tie up the laces of my well-worn converse, I noticed that my pillow was still warm. That’s odd. I hadn’t touched it for a good 30 minutes now. My brow furrowed at the mystery.

 

  Things like this have been happening for a while now. I would find things moved or  things missing from where I had last left them. Once I even discovered my anime cosplay wigs which are usually lying neatly on a shelf in my walk-in closet, ratted up like someone had been carelessly trying them on. It was very unsettling to say the least.

 

  With a huff, I sprawled out across the bright red comforter covering my double bed, staring forlornly up at the ceiling. I really hate school. Being part of the unpopular crowd means bullies like to tease me… a lot. I dread it every day. I wish my mom could homeschool me but she doesn’t have the time. So every day, I put on a fake smile and act like everything is ok, and bear the agony and torture of jerks who think they are better than everyone else.

 

  I rolled my head to the left and looked up at the posters papering my bedroom wall. Photos of some of my favorite Kpop bands like GOT7, BTS, and BEATWIN stared down at me.

 

  “I wish you guys were my friends.” I mumbled sadly; my bottom lip poking out in a dejected pout.

 

  The clock in the hallway chimed half past 8. So much for peace and quiet. Standing up with a heavy sigh, I grabbed my book bag and put my headphones on. No More Dream by BTS started playing. I smiled at the irony. The only way I can make it through the day is my music. It doesn’t just make time go by faster, it calms me down when I’m nervous or upset.

 

  “Arasso. Let’s do this.” I said to no one in particular as I forced my feet to carry me out the door to school.

 

UNKNOWN POV:

 

  “Aw, she wants to be our friend! I think I’m gonna cry!”

 

  “My heartu!” Sniffles.

 

  “She’s adorable when she tries to speak Korean!”

 

  “Quick! She’s gone! Now’s your chance, go put the bracelet back!”

 

  “Aniyo! I like it.”

 

  Sigh. “You’re going to get us all in trouble.”

 

  “What if she sees it on you?”

 

  “She won’t.”

 

  “Bet you 20,000 won she will.”

 

  “You’re on!”