Chapter Seven - That's a Lot of Takeout Containers

By Magic

  My alarm went off at 7 am. BEATWIN’s She’s My Girl started playing. Best thing to wake up to! But I groaned, it was Saturday! I forgot to turn my school alarm off. Aish! I am so forgetful!

 

  Rubbing my eyes, I let out a sleepy yawn. I felt a twitch beside me when I moved. Looking down, I discovered Chanel curled up next to me amongst the blankets.

 

  “Awwwww!” I squealed in delight.

 

  “Wae?”

 

  “What happened?”

 

  “What is it?” The guys peeked out of the posters above my head.

 

  “Look!” I whispered, pointing down at the snoozing kitten.

 

  A chorus of aws erupted from the group. Seongho looked like a proud father. Somewhere in the distance I heard Youngjae sneeze again. It made me laugh.

 

  Before the guys had a good chance to see me with the unattractive bedhead look (anymore than they already have) I made a mad dash for the bathroom, leaving Chanel asleep in the middle of my bed.

 

  When I came back with a fresh face and tamed hair, several of the guys were sitting on my bed petting Chanel. I guess there is no way we are getting rid of her now… She’s part of the gang.

 

  With a loud growl, my stomach made an embarrassing appearance. My face turned beet red. Waeeee? I cried mentally as the guys chuckled, grinning amongst themselves. I made a deadpan face at them and retreated to the kitchen to silence my hunger.

 

  There was a note on the kitchen counter. Another court case. Another long weekend at the office. Meaning another day of eating ramen and takeout. Hm, maybe this time I will get Japanese…

 

  I called upstairs to the guys. “Yah! Are you guys hungry? I can order takeout…”

 

  With a thunder of footsteps, the not-so-quiet gang of Kpop stars came dashing into the kitchen.

 

  “Jinjja?!?!”

 

  “Omo!!!”

 

  “I’m so hungry I could eat a cow!!”

 

  “Can we get gogi???”

 

  I laughed. “One at a time!! I was thinking about Japanese. How does that sound?”

 

  Emphatic nods all around.

 

  While I was on the phone making the order to that cute little Japanese place downtown, Jackson turned the TV on in the living room. The group plopped down, some on the couches and some on the floor.

 

  “Is there anything good on?” Yoongi asked in a bored tone.

 

  Jackson flipped through the channels.

 

  Hanging up the phone, I joined them just as it changed to the local news.

 

  “WAIT!” I shouted, freezing with my hands out and my eyes glued to the television.

 

  Crude black and white sketches of at least seven of the guys were plastered across the screen. The reporter was saying, “If anyone has any information regarding this gang of unknown Asians, please call the station at this number. Witnesses said they were last seen in the South District.”

 

  I looked on in horror as the report continued, and turned to the guys who had confused and scared looks plastered on their faces. “Jinjja?!?! Could you not have just stayed inside?”

 

  The good thing is, most people where I live don’t even know what Kpop is, so the guys are safe from being mobbed by the paparazzi and crazy stalker fans.

 

  Jackson replied. “We were worried about you. Plus it’s boring staying here in your room all day. All we ever do is watch dramas.”

 

   “You were worried about me?” I giggled and poked Youngjae in the ribs who was standing beside me, making him blush.

 

  Taehyung, Jungkook, and Jimin were looking back and forth from the TV to me and the leaders with shook expressions. “What going on?” They said in Korenglish.

 

  Namjoon translated the news for them. Their cute shook faces got even more stunned.

 

  Seongho looked terrified. He was shaking like a leaf. “Chanel.” Was all he whispered.

 

  I walked over and hugged him. “Gwenchana. Chanel will be fine. Nothing bad is going to happen. I promise.” I smiled, hoping to reassure him.

 

  “Anyway, from now on I want all of you to be more careful. Don’t go outside for now…” The room was filled with groans. “At least until the news calms down.”

 

  “Arasso.” They agreed gloomily.

 

  Just then, the doorbell rang. Like scaredy cats, the guys disappeared from sight, leaving me standing alone by the front door. When I answered it, a very petite Japanese man was standing in the doorway awkwardly holding two giant bags of forty takeout containers.

 

  “You order ready.” His smile changed to confusion when he saw it was just me standing there with an empty house behind me. He probably thought, this crazy white girl is going to eat all this? “For party?” He asked.

 

  I tried not to laugh and nodded. “Hai.” I bowed and took the food from his hands. Boy was it heavy! “Arigatou gozaimasu!” I thanked him in the little Japanese I had learned from watching animes and Jdramas, and paid him with a tip.

 

  Impressed by this crazy white girl with Japanese manners, he left with a smile.

 

  I chuckled and closed the door with my foot. “Boys! Food is here!” I called out to the quiet house.

 

  Wait for it…..The stampede crashed down the stairs. I laughed, setting the bags on the counter and pulling out the containers. “I got enough for everybody and some extra.”

 

  “Waaaah!” The guys eyed the piles of food.

 

  “Daebak!”

 

  “Gomawo!” Jin thanked me with a smile, ready to dig in.

 

  “No problem!” I began handing out chopsticks.

 

  Namjoon and Jackson spoke English. “Thank you!”

 

  “So awesome!”

 

  Yoonhoo was already chewing on a piece of meat. “Mmm! Yummy!”

 

  “So happy!” Sunhyeok grinned.

 

  Jungha shrugged and said, “Not bad.”, making the rest of his group crack up at the inside joke.

 

  I sat down at the breakfast table and munched on some beef tips and rice, pondering about the news report. I need to think of something fun to do so they won’t get bored and want to leave. Hmmm…

 

  “What are you thinking so intensely over here?” Namjoon asked in his nearly flawless English. It amazes me how he taught himself how to speak it just by watching American sitcoms.

 

  I smiled, chewing on another bite of rice. “Just trying to come up with ideas for fun stuff to do.”

 

  “Let me know if you need help.”

 

  I nodded in reply. My gaze scanned the room, taking in the heartwarming sight of all the content faces happily munching on food. It made me smile. Sometimes I still think it’s all a dream. Thank God it’s not. It’s been so nice having friends to talk to.

 

  Jungkook was not paying attention as he held an eggroll in his hand while talking to Yoonhoo. Taehyung snuck passed them and bit off a huge mouthful.

 

  “YAH!” Jungkook frowned, staring down at his half eaten eggroll.

 

  Namjoon rolled his eyes and face palmed, making me giggle. “You see what I have to put up with?”

 

 With a laugh, I began clearing off the table. Getting out a brand new trash bag, I filled it up with all the empty food containers.

 

  Namjoon stood up to help me.

 

  “Thank you.”

 

  “Don’t mention it.” His dimples showed.

 

  Putting the last of the trash in the garbage bag, I said to him, “I’m going to go out in a bit so I need you to help watch the group. Make sure they don’t go anywhere. I don’t need to bail you guys out of jail. ...Even though it would probably be relatively easy seeing as how my mom is a lawyer…” I mumbled the last bit, as I drug the trash out to the street to set next to the dumpster.

 

  “Ok.” He called after me and made an ok sign.

 

  A little while later, while I was getting dressed to go shopping, the doorbell rang. Who could that be? I wondered. Shushing the boys, I went downstairs and peeked out the window.

 

  “Omo!” I froze in fear, my mind racing a mile a minute. The cops were at my door!

 

  “Who is it?” Youngjae and Jinyoung peeked their heads out from around the corner.

 

  I hissed; frantically waving them back into hiding. Taking a deep breath to calm my racing heart, I rubbed my sweaty palms on my jeans and opened the door.

 

  “Oh, hello officer… Is there a problem?” I smiled politely.

 

  “Sorry to bother you, but we’ve had some complaints around this area and we wanted to ask you a few questions.” The older man spoke.

 

  I felt the blood leave my face. “Uh, yes sir…”

 

  “We’re going from door to door checking houses for public safety. Witnesses said there is a group of male Asians running around this area. Have you seen anything?” He took out a notepad and poised, waiting to write down my answer.

 

  “No sir….” I was getting nervous.

 

  “Do you live alone?” He questioned. His partner was sizing me.

 

  “No sir. It’s just me and my mom.”

 

  “Ok. Well if you see or hear anything give us a call.” The man handed me his card. “Thank you for your time.” They turned to leave.

 

  The other guy paused next to the dumpster eyeing the giant see through trash bag full of empty rice containers. They looked at each other, and turned around. “That’s an awful lot of takeout containers. Did you eat all those?” The head officer raised an eyebrow.

 

  “I like takeout.” I shrugged with a smile.

 

  “Alright. Have a good day, ma’am.” They got in their squad car and drove away.

 

  I forgot I wasn’t breathing. Closing the front door I collapsed against it, gasping for air from almost turning blue. That was a close one!

 

  Several pairs of eyes peeked back at me from the stairs. “Are they gone?”

 

  “Yea….” I frowned, grabbing my purse and keys and heading out the door. “I’ll be back. DON’T. GO. ANYWHERE.”