Prologue

You, Who Saved Me From Myself

Author’s POV

 

“Sorry, we don’t hire a high school dropout here,” the guy behind the counter said while looking at the two girl in front of him. The girl with a long and wavy dark brown hair looked down dejectedly while the girl with a shorter hair sigh loudly.

 

The girl looked at the guy square in the face before saying, “You don’t hire a high school dropout, yet you hired so many high schooler who need to focus on their study?”

 

The guy behind the counter curved a mocking smirk and crossed his arm in front of his chest before replying with a mocking tone, “That’s what set the two of you apart from them. Being a high school dropout is different from a high schooler. I said we don’t hire a high school dropout, not a high schooler. So if you are so desperate to work here, go back to your high school and continue your studies. Who know if we might hire you? But wait, that is also impossible since both of you are way over 20,”

 

What he said definitely agitated the short haired girl more. She ended up glaring at the guy and almost pulled his collar, if only the long haired girl didn’t stop her from doing so. The long haired girl nodded slightly to the guy behind the counter before dragging the other girl out of the café. Once outside, both of the girl sigh dejectedly before looking up to the blue sky, praying for a miracle. They looked at each other for a moment before deciding to walk away from the café and its rude owner.

 

“Is it wrong to dropout from a freaking high school when you’re an orphan and can’t afford your own education, Yongsun unnie?” the short haired girl asked and earned a shrug of the shoulder from the other girl named Kim Yongsun.

 

The short haired girl heaved a deep and heavy sigh before looking at Yongsun that was walking beside her and said, “Tell me unnie, why we left our previous job again? I mean, they even have a dormitory for us to stay in,”

 

Yongsun looked at the short haired girl and lifted one of her eyebrows. She then smirked a little before replying with an obvious tone, “We’re fired, Hyejin-ah. Because you let your temper ran wild and beat the hell out of a customer while me, being a klutz that I am, broke too many plates that they decided it was better to let me go,”

 

“But, he was a ert unnie,” Hyejin said trying to defend herself.

 

Yongsun lets out a humourless chuckled and ruffled the shorter girl’s hair before she said, “A ert who happened to be the owner’s golden son,” and this made Hyejin can’t help but to mutter ‘ing Hierarchy’ under her breath.

 

They stepped into one of the restaurant, to have their one and only meal of the day. They sat at the far corner of the restaurant, an almost secluded place. They ordered a big bowl of their favourite beef intestine soup which they’re going to share, to save their remaining money.

 

“Unnie, we should find a job and a place to live in soon, fall is almost over and it is getting colder,” Hyejin said.

 

Yongsun lets out shaky breath while looking at the other girl with a soft gaze, “I know, hyejin-ah,”

 

Hyejin was about to open to say something when someone suddenly pulled the chair beside her and shamelessly took a seat. The girl exchanged her gaze between Hyejin and Yongsun before heaving a sigh. She then looked at Yongsun before saying, “Do you want to work for me? I’ll pay you a large sum of money and I’ll also give you a place to stay. Winter is coming, just so you know,”

 

Ahn Hyejin’s POV

 

I was talking with Yongsun unnie about our pitiful life and that we should find a place to stay soon since winter is coming when a girl suddenly pulled the chair beside mine and shamelessly took a seat. I let my gaze fixed on her as she let her gaze roamed between me and Yongsun unnie.

 

The girl was cute, a little bit shorter than me, but still cute nonetheless. She had her shoulder length hair dyed into a light brown as she let it hang loose, framing her pretty face. She looked like someone with a professional career as she was wearing a black and white suit under a grey trench coat. She said something to Yongsun unie and that’s when I noticed the cute dimple on her right cheek, it was deep enough that it showed every time she’s saying something.

 

“Do you want to work for me? I’ll pay you a large sum of money and I’ll also give you a place to stay. Winter is coming, just so you know,”

 

What she said was definitely tempting, especially to the desperate one like me and Yongsun unnie. But we know nothing about the job that she was offering and worse, we also know nothing about her. What if she was offering for us to be a e or a drug dealer? We don’t want to stay in the prison, even if we’re desperate for a place to stay.

 

“Who are you and what job are you talking about?” I heard Yongsun unnie asked. I won’t interfere unless they needed me to. Yongsun unnie is older, so I trust whatever decision she made.

 

“My name is not important, but if you still insist, just call me Kuku. About the job, I need you to take care of someone important for me,” the girl said. Kuku? What a perfect out of the world name for this strange stranger. I don’t think Kuku is her real name, but why did she need to disguise herself with that weird name?

 

“I’m sorry, Kuku-ssi,” I said and accidentally lets out a loud scoff as I can’t control myself to not to laugh at her out of the world name. She looked at me as she raised her brows. I took a second to calm myself before saying, “If you don’t want to reveal your real name, I’m afraid we can’t take the job. Who knows, you might force us to commit a crime. We don’t want to go to prison without even knowing the real culprit’s name,”

 

She laughed a little before looking at me and said, “You have a quite colourful fantasy, Hyejin-ssi. I don’t do crime nor would I ask you to commit one. I’m simply offering you a job since I can’t help but to listen to your conversation of how sad your life is and how desperate you are for a job and a place to stay,” she took a paused as she dug into her handbags and took out a small rectangular piece of paper. Maybe a business card? She then offered it to Yongsun before standing up.

 

“You can think it over and if ever you decided to take the job, you know how to contact me,” she said before walking away. I took the card from Yongsun unnie’s hand and read the name on it. I’m hoping to see her real name there, but even on her business card, the name Kuku was written. Does Kuku really is her real name? I was still looking at the card when I heard Yongsun unnie calling for her, she stopped a few steps away from the table and looked back at us.

 

“Why us?” Yongsun unnie asked.

 

The girl, known as Kuku curved a slight smile before replying, “Simply because you are as desperate as I am. So, do you want to take the job, or not?”

 

“We’re not committing a crime right?” I asked which earned a dry chuckled from the girl standing.

 

“I assure you, no, I promise, you’re not committing a crime nor would I ask you to commit one,”

 

“Then we’re in, we’ll work for you,” Yongsun unnie said which earned a grateful smile from the other girl. She walked to us, grab a piece of tissue and scribbled something on it with her fancy-looking pen. Once done, she looked at Yongsun unnie and said, “Meet me at this address at 6.30 tomorrow. Be there on time, I hate to wait,”

 

She then took a few bills from her pocket and handed it to Yongsun unnie, along with the piece of tissue before saying, “Use these money to find you a place for you to spend the night and also for your taxi fare tomorrow. Ah, remember to bring along your necessities for tomorrow, all right? That is all, pleasure meeting and doing business with you,”

 

The girl then walked away to leave the restaurant. However, I think I saw her tripping on her own two feet and almost fell face first, if only she didn’t manage to grab the table for support. She was so professional while talking to us earlier and suddenly turned into a klutz as soon as she walked away. This Kuku seems to be have an interesting character to go along with her weird name.

 

“Unnie, are you sure about this? The job, I mean?” I asked Yongsun unnie as we’re enjoying the steaming beef intestine soup that was right in front of us. She looked at me and heaved a sigh.

 

“We’re desperate and she’s desperate too. Besides, she promised us that we won’t be committing any crime. So, let’s just trust her for now, but we’ll leave as soon as we think that something is wrong with the job, okay?” Yongsun unnie said and earned an understanding nod from me.

 

P.S. Please leave some feedback. Tell me if there’re anything that I should fix as this is my first time writing this type of story. Thank you.

Comment/subscribe/vote, thank you.

a/n: Have you listened to mamamoo’s version of save me from myself? It was too good that I can’t stop listening to it. LOL