Eighteen

Operation: Love Me Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Thanks for subscribing, commenting and reading.

-------

 

A homemade breakfast date, I had a sinking suspicion that this had been D.O's idea. 

I've been awake since seven in the morning. Dirty dishes were piling up in the sink while the garage bin had been overflowing with failed attempts at making grilled cheese and scrambled eggs. Tissues, oil and juice spillages, egg shells and yolk littered the floor, stove and counter tops. In the span of two hours, I managed to destroy my kitchen.

I turned the dial off on the stove. After using more than half the slices of bread in the loaf, this grilled cheese actually looked aesthetically pleasing. For the first time it looked golden instead of burnt! But I had been happy all too soon, as when I flipped it to the other side for inspection, it was completely charred in the middle. 

"Dammit, not again." I grumbled out of frustration. 

"Morning Roxy!" 

"Ah....Chanyeol." I nearly jumped out of my skin as I hadn't expected he'd be up so early. I hid the disaster behind me before turning around to face him. "Morning." 

"I see you've been hard at work." Noticing my puzzled expression, he chuckled. He ran his hand under the tap and carded his fingers through my sticky hair to dissolve the yolk and plucked out some shells. 

I grimaced, internally groaning. Why am I always so prone to embarrassing myself? 

"What are you holding behind you?" He curiously peered over my shoulder. 

I gulped. "N-nothing..." Just my sorry excuse for your supposed to be breakfast. Of course I didn't tell him that. How could I when it was so unpresentable? 

But he clearly didn't believe me so he reached around me and held the sandwich in his hand. "Ooh, grilled cheese!" His eyes practically sparkled in delight. 

"No, Chanyeol, wait don't-" It was too late. My warning had been futile as he'd already taken a huge bite out of it. It was so overly toasted that the crunch echoed throughout the room. 

"Yum! This is even better than D.O's cooking!" He beamed at me before downing half the glass of freshly squeezed orange juice that had been sitting on the counter. "I've never tasted anything sweeter than this!" 

"R-really?!" I absolutely couldn't trust what I was hearing. I lowered his arm so I could try for myself. 

I scrunched up my face in utter disgust and bolted towards the sink to spit it out. The crispiness lacerated the interior of my mouth and the burnt bits left a bitter aftertaste. "Yuck!" I extended my hand out for the juice but Chanyeol whisked it far from my reach. 

"After seeing your reaction, I don't think you should try this." He flashed me a sheepish grin. 

Only then had I observed the tears forming at the brim of his eyes. The juice must have been extremely sour to have caused such an effect. It would be logical to assume that after all the lessons I took with D.O, my cooking would've improved; it evidently did not. 

I stuck my tongue out in distaste. "God, that was awful! I'm so sorry!" 

"Don't be! Sure, it wasn't the greatest breakfast." He chose his words carefully. "But it was definitely the best I've ever had because you made it." The level of sincerity in his voice was astonishing; to the extent of melting my heart down to a pile of goop. 

But that aside, guilt was the sole emotion that I was feeling. That has got to be the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me. And that made me feel even worse. Chanyeol didn't deserve such a terrible pre-birthday gift. 

On an impulse, I tugged him by the arm and dragged him towards the door. Or at least I attempted to. "Come on, I'm taking you out to eat some real food." 

"Roxy, it's fine. I don't want your efforts to go to waste." He didn't budge from his previous position. 

"No Chanyeol, you can't keep eating that!" I stood up on my toes trying to wrench the sandwich out of his hands but his towering height was making it difficult. 

"It's really not that bad." He kept insisting. 

"Just give it to me!" I resorted to jumping but to no avail. "I'm being seri-mphm." 

In the midst of our quibbling, Chanyeol hastily grabbed me by the cheeks, arched his back forward and planted a lopsided smooch to my lips. 

The words were muffled and died in my throat. My eyes widened to the size of saucers. He pulled away as abruptly as he'd come. 

After he straightened himself out we merely stayed rooted to our spots, staring at each other. Neither of us spoke. 

It was a soft and light peck upon my lips, much too short for me to even react to it. I felt slightly disappointed at the loss of warmth and I found myself craving for more...

I automatically gasped at the thought and shoved Chanyeol backwards to create a gap between us. What am I thinking? We're friends, I shouldn't be having those kinds of thoughts about him! 

The thought kept resonating in my head. I kissed Chanyeol, wait no, Chanyeol kissed me! Oh god! I lunged forward and held his arm posteriorly. The familiar red glow that I'd seen on Sehun's arm swirled around his phoenix birthmark. 

"Chanyeol!" I exclaimed, looking up at him in horror. 

"I'm sorry, I couldn't calm you down so I panicked." He confessed the reason for his spontaneous actions.

If we weren't in this current situation, I might've laughed a little at his ridiculousness. "Why would you do that?" 

He scratched his nape awkwardly. "I'm sorry Roxy, I guess I should've asked you first-" 

"No Chanyeol!" I interrupted him mid-sentence. "I meant about your powers!" Why was I more concerned for him than he was for himself? 

"Oh." Was all he said before he cracked up into uncontrollable laughter. 

I glared at him incredulously. What was so funny? How could he be laughing like a madman at a time like this? 

"I told you there would be a way for me to stay here with you." He grinned. 

My pupils dilated at the revelation, vision instantaneously blurring from being deeply touched. So the real cause of his rash move resulted from something he'd promised me. My heart raced at the thought and I couldn't cease its erratic rhythm. 

He cautiously wrapped an arm around my shoulders; seemingly wanting to reassure me that everything would fine. I didn't shrug away; in fact I was relishing our body contact. He must've sensed this as he dared to close off the remaining space between us. 

"Is it worth it though?" Glancing up at him, my voice softened to a whisper. 

"Remember that day on the rooftop?" He cradled me tightly in his arms as I automatically stiffened at being reminded of the events of that day. "When you asked me who I thought I was to you?" 

"Mhmm." I hummed in confirmation, subconsciously gnawing on my lower lip. I said some really harsh things in the past and I'm regretting it now. But in my defense, they weren't overly friendly in the beginning either. 

"Well, I just wanted you to know. I might be a nobody to you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter