Twelve

Operation: Love Me Right
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Thanks to those who have recently subscribed, commented and continue to read this. 

--------

 

After the encounter with Vince, the guys have been acting even more peculiar. D.O always makes sure to prepare my favorite foods for breakfast; surprisingly, even the whiniest of the bunch didn't have any complaints to voice. Xiumin unhesitatingly took the blame for me when I'd accidentally put in a wrong order at work. And now, whoever ended classes with me would voluntarily carry my books home; they claimed it was too heavy of a load for me. It was as if they'd come up with an unspoken consensus to be nicer towards me. Though it was a pleasant change, their actions and behaviors were becoming just a bit overbearing. My instincts tell me something must have happened to cause this drastic transition.

Once Kris had unlocked the door, he, Chanyeol and I stepped into the apartment. The living room was deserted, but I could clearly hear them talking from inside the storage room. 

"That ing bastard locked her in the closet and left her alone to cry?!" Kai roared incredulously. 

I was startled by the dangerously threatening tone he used. I haven't heard him this enraged since...

Seemingly alarmed, Kris boisterously cleared his throat, wanting to announce our presence. 

But Xiumin's rather depressed sigh covered over his attempt. "So that's why the bear is so important to her. She still has it in her room." 

Bear? What were the chances they were talking about the one I had? 

"Um guys?!" Chanyeol squeaked out as his pupils bulged out in panic. 

Too immersed in their conversation, the rest of the guys failed to notice we were standing by the door. 

"I can't believe her parents would say all that crap about her! Why should Roxy take the blame for inheriting all their flaws?" Baekhyun spouted furiously. 

"What?" I blurted instinctively when I heard my name. 

Upon hearing my voice, they all stood frozen in their spots and visibly paled. 

"R-Roxy." Chen breathed out airily. 

My despicable parents they've already met. But the closet incident and the significance of my teddy bear? Though they could have been having a causal conversation about anything, those specific words pinpointed my childhood. No matter how they would try to explain themselves, I was adamant they were talking about me. 

"How?" Was all I managed in my state of displeasure as I couldn't refrain from glaring. 

"I..." Tao gulped. He then fixed his demeanor by coughing to rid of the forming lump in his throat due to his nervousness. "I looked into a bit of your past. I'm-" 

"Why?!" I demanded to know, not even caring that they flinched at my abrupt interruption. "Why would you do that?" 

The room was quickly filled with awkward silence and thick with tension as no one could provide me with a proper answer. 

As the seconds ticked by, I was struck with an epiphany. "You guys did this out of pity." I accused through clenched teeth. This must've been the reason why they were suddenly being so kind around me; treating me so delicately as if I was a piece of fragile china that would smash if not handled with care.

"W-what?" Sehun stuttered in confusion, the others looked equally baffled. 

I disregarded his question and instead exploded in a rant, powered solely by resentment. "It doesn't matter how much I despised what you all put me through, I can ignore all the mean words you've said to me, I can forget all that. But I have a limit too, and what you guys did-looking into my past without my permission, that's where I draw the line." My fists were clamped tighter with each word being fired out at them; gradually to the point of numbing. "I know you guys hate me and want to be here as much as I want you guys here. Despite that, the only thing I ask for is respect, but apparently I'm not even deserving of that. The last thing I need is for you pitying me!" My vision blurred as tears of anger, embarrassment, hurt and betrayal danced around the brim of my eyes. 

All those years of trying to hide the horrendous memories of being bullied, abused and mistreated just to be reminded and seen through thoroughly in the blink of an eye left me feeling so exposed. 

"Oh god Roxy, you thought..." When Luhan's eyes widened in trepidation, I knew that he must've read my mind. 

Luhan must've also sent my thoughts out to the group as Kris looked just as apprehensive. "We weren't thinking that way at all!" He immediately denied. 

Too caught up in my own fury, I completely dismissed their explanations. "Tao, what gives you the right to invade my privacy? Last time I checked, my childhood memories don't have any relevance to completing your mission. There's only one small step between being curious and nosy, and you guys have crossed that line." This was the first time I had seen Tao lowering his head in what looked like shame. But even so, I didn't stop there. 

"What happened to being so strict about not using powers? And what did you end up allowing to happen?" A mocking laugh automatically escaped my lips. "Ironic, don't you think?" Though I didn't specifically address anyone, Suho knew this was all directed at him. He stood there speechless, with no words to justify himself. 

"And you." I turned around to point a finger in Chanyeol's face. "You guys planned this from the beginning didn't you?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter