Ch. 20: The Only Exception

Ease My Mind

A/N: I know. It’s been a long, ridiculous amount of time since I last updated. My sincerest apologies. I’m sure 2017 was a really difficult year for all of us. Despite the many tragedies in the world and within your own personal lives, I’m just thankful that we’ve survived and made it through. I’m especially thankful that I managed to find the will to write and that I have incredibly patient readers like you to encourage me. “Ease My Mind” still has a long way to go story wise and there’s a lot to unpack in future chapters. But, for now, I will like to welcome the New Year with something with a little more fluff ;)

(Note: This chapter picks up on the same day as Ch. 19)

Without further ado...



“Are you sure you’re not tired?” SinB asked after breaking the liplock she held with a certain creamy skinned, brown-eyed beauty.

 

Hovering over the older girl, SinB’s heart raced as reality dawned upon her. She was on Yerin’s bed. Under Yerin’s blanket. Kissing Yerin. Her best friend. The one she adored from afar, never wanting to cross the line between friendship and romance. The one she fell deeply in love with to the point where she felt the need to divert her feelings and voyage overseas. The one who returned her feelings that night and was currently grazing the tips of her fingers on SinB’s unclothed back.

 

“Of course, I’m not,” Yerin replied nonchalantly with a slight shrug. “We’ve only been kissing for the past…,” she paused to check the alarm clock on her bedside table, “... three hours.”

 

SinB breathed out a chuckle. “Another hour and we could be setting a world record,” she mused. “But, I digress.” Carefully, SinB brushed away the strands of hair that were covering Yerin’s twinkling eye smile.

 

“For you, SinB-ah, I’m willing to stay up all night. It’s my way of making up for lost time and a bad relationship in between.”

 

“I didn’t think your relationship with Park Sooyoung was that bad,” SinB joked, earning a stern look from Yerin.

 

Cracking a knowing grin, SinB rolled off of Yerin to rest on the unoccupied area of the bed. She laid on her side and caught a glimpse of the glowing numbers on the clock’s interface. 3:19 am. Wow. They really have been at it for quite some time. Biting back a smile, SinB refocused her attention on Yerin. She noticed that the older girl’s bra strap had slipped off from her shoulder. But, judging from Yerin’s semi-serious expression, SinB knew it was too late to return to their hormonal make out session. Quickly, she recomposed herself before staring into the dazzling orbs she knew so well.

 

“I don’t blame you for dating Yuju,” SinB admitted. “Truthfully, I thought she was decent enough for you until I discovered that she had been cheating. I mean, you two just looked so perfect together. You seemed happy with her, and Yuju seemed like she genuinely had feelings for you. Jealousy was practically second nature for me.”

 

Yerin’s demeanor softened as she reached to SinB’s hair. “If this is the night to confess everything, then I should probably reveal that I was also jealous when you began dating Sowon.”

 

“Even though you were the one who set me up on a date with Sowon in the first place?” SinB specified, quirking her eyebrow. “Not to mention, you were this close to sending a text message to my platonic friend from the States, declaring that I loved her.”

 

“I may have went a bit overboard in trying to help you establish a love connection,” Yerin began to defend her past actions. “But, that was my way of coping with denial. When you came back, I had convinced myself that if I got you a girlfriend or if I knew that you loved someone else, then I could finally let you go. But, as I saw you and Sowon kissing during our Contrail double date, I knew that wasn’t the case. My heart was pounding so much that I had to hold onto Yuju and leave before it could burst into a million pieces.”

 

Goosebumps rose on SinB’s skin, causing her to draw the blanket closer around her frame. It was strange to think that Yerin shared a similar experience as herself, yet SinB had never really sensed it before. She knew the older girl tended to conceal her true emotions at times. Typically, though, SinB was able to differentiate between a polite smile and a genuine one. Perhaps, Yerin had gotten better in the art of duplicity during her absence. For some reason, the sheer thought of it worried SinB.

 

Scooting closer to Yerin, SinB wrapped an arm over the older girl, cradling her. “I don’t think you should worry too much about Sowon. The kiss was pretty terrible. Besides, we weren’t really a couple in the first place. And, Sowon... never really had feelings for me to begin with.” Yerin’s eyes shifted questioningly, prompting SinB to exhale a nervous breath. “Somehow, she found out how much I liked you, so she offered to help me make you jealous by pretending to be interested in me. Sowon sort of saw it as a game. But, I was so desperate to know if your feelings for Yuju were true that I accepted it.”

 

Though she was uncomfortable with twisting the truth in front of Yerin, SinB figured that it was best to keep that part of her life in the shadows for the meantime. Especially, the part concerning Sowon’s werewolf lineage. As much as the Beta wolf got on her nerves, SinB still respected her. Sowon would tell Yerin when the time came and out of her own free will.

 

Yerin’s eyebrows shot up in surprise. “Well, that’s awfully generous of her,” she replied, sounding slightly unconvinced.

 

“It worked, though,” SinB quickly added with a wide, toothy smile and eyes that pleaded ‘Please don’t think I’m a creep.’

 

Giggling, Yerin tousled SinB’s already disheveled hair. “Pabo SinB-ah and her silly antics. When will you ever learn?”

 

The young Alpha’s features began to relax as warmth spread throughout her body. “Beats me. Heck, I’m still a novice when it comes to using my werewolf abilities.”

 

“What else does being a werewolf enable you to do?” Yerin asked, snuggling closer and laying her head near SinB’s collarbone region. “Other than having an attractive physique and becoming an extremely good kisser, of course,” she teased.

 

SinB smirked, adjusting to a more comfortable position, but never releasing her embrace with Yerin. “Where to begin?” she stated in a comically boastful tone. “I can hear from farther distances away. I also have a greater sense of smell. I’m stronger, faster. Better reflexes. Superior agility. And, as you witnessed, I can shapeshift into a ferocious, ravenous beast by my own command.”

 

“I wouldn’t consider it as ferocious,” Yerin asserted. “You resemble more like a gigantic, wild puppy of sorts. Like Clifford the Big Red Dog on steroids.”

 

Though amused by the analogy, SinB could feel a shred of her ego deflate. “On certain days and in front of you, maybe. But, there are exceptions. Like, when there’s a full moon, I never know what to expect.” She glanced at a quiet Yerin whose eyes remained on her, perhaps telepathically urging her to explain. SinB subtly cleared , trying to act unbothered by the soothing sensation of the older girl’s toes sliding up and down against her leg.

 

“Most of the time, I have control over the wolf. Sometimes, though, it’s like it has a mind of its own, even on nights when there’s not a full moon in the sky. But, when there is, I have no choice but to transform and blackout for the wolf to take over. The morning after, I wake up, completely confused and vulnerable and frightened. The taste of blood from a squirrel or a stray cat lingering in my mouth. The defenseless animal’s carcass beside me, viciously torn to shreds. I put my clothes on and walk home as if nothing happened. As I enter back into a world of normalcy, I feel even more vulnerable and frightened. Sure, it might be squirrels and cats today. But, I fear the day when it’s a human being that I… hurt.”

 

SinB had stopped herself from saying the real end result of any living, breathing thing that crossed her path on a full moon transformation. They were killed, murdered, mutilated. Anxiety at an all-time high, SinB trepidly glanced at Yerin. This time, the older girl had her gaze on the perturbed rise and fall of SinB’s blanket-covered chest. Although her best friend didn’t seem unfazed, that didn’t stop SinB from blurting the one thought that held her mind hostage. “Yerin-ah, are you really not afraid of me? Of the monster I can become?”

 

“SinB-ah,” Yerin whispered tenderly as she raised her body by an increment to look into the troublesome girl’s eyes. “I love you. I’ve been dreaming about being with you for years. I may only know just a minor extent of your powers, but I believe that you’re far more capable than what you give yourself credit for. There’s been multiple instances where you saved me without submitting to this ‘ravenous beast’ you claim to be. You can control this werewolf part of you, SinB-ah. And, I’m going to be there for you, fearless and unafraid.”

 

Speechless and touched, SinB had the urge to kiss Yerin’s Pineapple Paradise-flavored lips. But, she knew that a kiss wouldn’t be enough to show her gratitude. No kiss would be enough to truly express the love she has for the girl who never failed to uplift her spirits and make her feel worthwhile, valid even. Despite her persistent worries, SinB raised her head from the pillow and leaned to place her lips onto Yerin’s forehead. The bubbly angel smiled preciously in response.

 

Yerin settled back down, head returning to SinB’s upper chest. “Does anyone else know about your secret?” she asked out of curiosity.

 

Still omitting any mention of Sowon, SinB casually answered.“My parents don’t know. I’m too scared to tell them, especially in the middle of their divorce. The daughter of the family I stayed with in America may have her suspicions. But, at least, I’m no longer a liability to them. Before you, the only person I told my secret to was my neighbor, Umji. She actually kind of figured it out on her own. Thankfully, she’s been really trustworthy and dependable. Also, really helpful with all the knowledge she has on anything supernatural related. Not to mention, she’s absolutely adorable.”

 

“But, I’m more adorable. Right, TtinB-ah~?” Yerin cooed with every ounce of aegyo she had.

 

Looking into Yerin’s crescent-shaped eyes, SinB smiled widely and gently patted the older girl’s soft-as-mochi cheeks before replying in the same cutely saturated cadence, “Nope, Yerinnie~.”

 

An unamused scowl took shape on Yerin’s face as the roomed filled with SinB’s hearty chuckles.

 

Calming down, SinB noticed the humorless glower still on the older girl’s face. “I’m just playing around, Yerin-ah,” she said quietly, but gently. “You’re more than just a cute. Only your dorkiness can comfort me during my most depressed times. Only your smile can give me one of the few reasons to wake up in the morning. Only your kisses can give me a rush of calmness and excitement. No one in the whole wide world can compare to Jung Yerin.”

 

The corners of Yerin’s mouth lifted as her cheeks flushed with a pink hue. “And, I doubt there’s anyone who could make me happy yet leave me breathless like Hwang Eunbi,” Yerin responded, matching SinB’s hushed inflection.

 

In that moment, there was no way that SinB could resist giving Yerin another kiss. Without warning, she climbed back on top of the older girl whose eyes widened from the unexpected move. She ran a hand through her hair to rid herself of those pesky flyaway strands that obstructed her vision, cursing under her breath and causing Yerin to giggle. SinB, then, bent down to meet the girl’s beautiful face, admiring every detail. From the mole on her cheek to her cute Indian dimple, SinB’s heart soared. In semi-desperation, SinB kissed Yerin’s lips, pouring out her heart and soul. Meanwhile, Yerin gingerly grazed her fingers along SinB’s spine and locking them behind the younger girl’s neck. The electricity in Yerin’s touch sent SinB overboard. Instinctively, SinB grabbed onto Yerin’s waist, releasing the kiss before they could go any further.

 

It was a night of revelations and confessions mixed with love and desire. Despite Yerin left only in her undergarments and SinB remained in her birthday suit, the two haven’t done anything more than kiss. Sure, there were light caresses here and absent minded touches of sensitive areas there. But, that was the extent of their intimacy. Though it was perfectly understandable considering it was just the beginning of their relationship, the Alpha wolf was further conscientious of another matter. The truth was that SinB didn’t know what would happen to herself if things became even more heated between them. Her inner werewolf still remained unpredictable. SinB feared losing control. And, most importantly, she feared losing Yerin.

 

The older girl looked back at SinB with a slightly saddened expression. SinB put on her best cheerful facade as she gently the sides Yerin’s torso with her thumbs.

 

“Do you have any plans for tomorrow… or rather today?” SinB asked in attempt to distract the older girl, but also figuring that they should have their first official date as a couple.

 

Yerin chewed on the inside of her bottom lip somewhat guiltily. “Yes, actually. There’s a track meet this coming week. Everyone's preparing hard for it since you and Yuju are no longer part of the team. Coach Kwon left a spare key to the locker room in case anyone wanted to put in extra training hours during the weekend. I was hoping to practice my sprint for the relay race. If you want and are available, maybe you could assist me?”

 

“Of course, I want to, Yerin-ah. No problem,” SinB answered promptly. “You’ll be like Usain Bolt by the time I’m finished training you.”

 

Yerin chuckled, and SinB couldn’t contain the laughter within herself as well. Laying back down on the bed, SinB released a contented sigh as she held out her arms for Yerin to enter. The older girl gladly found her way into SinB’s embrace, placing a chaste kiss on the side of the young werewolf’s neck before nuzzling her face into the crook.  

 

“Let’s get some rest, Yerin-ah,” SinB whispered, fingertips lightly trailing along her best friend’s arm. “Tonight’s been a long night. You’re going to need your energy to compete against Pledis.”

 

“Or, we can stay up and sleep in until the afternoon,” Yerin suggested. “My parents are visiting some old friends of theirs in Busan. They most likely won’t be back until Sunday night.”

 

SinB sensed that Yerin wanted to prolong their time together. She, too, never wanted the night to end. But, as she saw Yerin try, yet fail, to restrain a yawn, SinB knew that time wouldn’t allow it. “Tempting, but I should go back in the city and check on my Umma first. She’s probably worried about me. I can meet you up at the track field, though.”

 

Nodding her head, Yerin didn’t bother to hide her sleepiness as she closed her eyes and held onto SinB tighter like she was a huge Jibang plush. “I understand, SinB-ah. Send her my regards and give her a great big hug for me.”

 

SinB stared at Yerin who quickly succumbed to slumber. A loving smile naturally bloomed on her lips. “Will do, Yerin-ah. Will do.”


 

Yerin woke up first. Eyes still closed, she tried moving her arms, but realized that they were securely holding onto something. She, then, felt steady wisps of air blow against neck. Curious, she drowsily opened her eyes and was met with SinB’s tranquil face, fast asleep. Yerin was in awe.

 

Last night had felt like a dream. But, as she recounted everything that happened in the past twenty-four hours, a sense of giddiness overtook Yerin’s features. She continued to stare at SinB while delicately the younger girl’s cheek. The peaceful werewolf slightly stirred, bringing herself closer into Yerin’s embrace. A smile instantly formed on the older girl’s lips as rose-tinted memories of their long-time friendship flourished into her mind. One recollection, in particular, filled Yerin with a sense of hopefulness for the future of their evolved relationship.

 

About three and half years ago, during the start their Freshman year of high school, Yerin noticed a change of character in SinB. It was a hectic and emotionally draining time for her best friend. While the transition from Junior High to High School was stressful for every teenager, SinB also had to deal with her parents’ ongoing rollercoaster of a marriage. Over and over again, Mr. and Mrs. Hwang had tried to rework and rebuild their union as husband and wife. They’ve went through couples counseling and sought various therapists. In spite of it all, there was no doubt that the love they once had for each other seized to exist. Thus, further fueled the cold war between the two parents.

 

Yerin did her best to distract SinB, to provide the comfort and attention that her best friend so desperately needed. That usually meant offering the raven-haired girl to stay over her house anytime she wanted. Typically, SinB would sleepover during the weekends. They would both share Yerin’s bed with a blockade of plush toys in the middle to give each other space. The older girl could tell that SinB anticipated the end of each school week, even through her cool demeanor. And, secretly, Yerin also yearned to fast forward the days sometimes just so she could get to the part where she and SinB would stay up watching Infinite Challenge while eating ramen and drinking lemon-lime soda in shot glasses like it was soju.

 

Things seemed to be going well until, one school night, Yerin woke up to a continuous, staccato tap on her window. Frightened to her wits end, she was ready to run out of bed and alert her parents. The tapping stopped, though. On the window, shone the bright light of a phone screen that had a picture of her and SinB posing with a polar bear mascot in Lotte World when they went for Yerin’s birthday. Yerin fully opened her curtains and was washed over with relief at the sight of SinB. Hurriedly, she unlocked the window and helped the younger girl heave herself into the safety and warmth of her bedroom.

 

Turning the table lamp on, Yerin quickly detected the utter sadness and agitation in SinB’s eyes. Mr. and Mrs. Hwang had gotten into another verbal fight that caused SinB so much heartache and distress over her parents that she had to runaway. And, what better refuge to hide for some peace and quiet than Yerin’s house? SinB vented her frustrations, tears escaping her eyes every so often. Yerin listened, handing the younger girl tissues and being the supportive shoulder to lean on.

 

When SinB had calmed down, Yerin prepared to reposition the bed into their usual, separated sleeping arrangement. Before she could do so, SinB stopped the older girl with a request.

 

“Yerin-ah, for this one night,... can you just hold me?”

 

Rarely did the strong, level-headed SinB voice out her vulnerability. It made Yerin realized how far they’ve come, from childhood pals to a much needed companion in each other’s lives. Without a word, Yerin tucked SinB into bed, got herself situated in it as well, and spooned her best friend until the alarm clock awaken them both in the morning.

 

From that point, the two had gotten rid of the barricade, yet an invisible line remained. One in which neither of them dared not cross.  Now, several years later and in a span of twelve hours, that line was a thing of the past. Now, no longer did Yerin’s internal fears prohibited her from leaning in and giving SinB a kiss on her forehead, nose, and lips. The last kiss caused SinB to fully awaken and take in the beauty of this moment, the beauty of Yerin. The corners of tugged into a serene smile.

 

SinB’s gaze momentarily left Yerin’s as she saw the time. 10:06 am. “You’re lucky that I got at least six hours of sleep,” she mused, playfully pinching Yerin’s cheek. “And, that we’re barely in the honeymoon phase of our relationship.”

 

“I don’t believe in such phases,” Yerin challenged, retracting her arms and using one hand to lift her head from the pillow. “I think that twenty, forty, eighty years from now, I’ll be waking you up in the same manner. Being the tsundere that you are, you will pretend to be annoyed, hiding behind your cute scowl. But, I know that you’re secretly enjoying it.” She smiled smugly.

 

Quirking an eyebrow, SinB held back a sarcastic response. Instead, she imagined a life where Yerin was the first person she woke up to every morning and the first person she fell asleep with every night. She imagined weekends together, going out to eat samgyeopsal and playing those money-gobbling claw machines that Yerin was an expert in afterwards. She imagined the disagreements they would have and the compromises they would make. A future with Yerin was exciting and somewhat terrifying. But, SinB knew it her heart that she wouldn’t want it any other way.

 

“You know what, Yerin-ah?” SinB spoke, mirroring the same pose as the older girl. “I think you might be right… for once.” She grinned cunningly as Yerin feigned exasperation by flopping backwards onto the bed and causing the mattress to bounce.

 

“You are too cruel, SinB-ah,” Yerin replied, bringing herself back on her elbows. “Makes me wonder why I ever fell in love with you in the first place,” she said with her nose in the air, yet tone lacked any hint of seriousness.

 

SinB’s smirk deepened. In one swift motion, she climbed on top of Yerin, restraining her wrists against the cool bed sheets. She, then, bent down towards the older girl’s jaw, taking in a deep breath of the heavenly scent that has intoxicated her senses for long enough. “How about I refresh your memory?” she whispered provocatively.

 

Staring into Yerin’s dark chocolate eyes, SinB took the plunge, burying her face and kissing every inch of the older girl’s neck. Yerin, clearly caught off guard, gasped from the overwhelming sensations that ran through her entire body. With SinB’s grip still securely holding down her wrists, all Yerin could do was wiggle in vain as erupted a symphony of moans. Pleased, SinB released Yerin’s wrists as one hand cupped the side of the older girl’s face and the other hand made its way down to her hip. Yerin latched her arms around SinB’s shoulders. Chests heaving, the two smiled at each other with so much love and devotion. SinB leaned in, brushing her nose with Yerin’s before reuniting with the girl’s beckoning lips.

 

Hands explored. Bodies moved organically. And, the temperature of the small bedroom became warmer and warmer with each kiss the new couple shared. Mind in a whirlwind of bliss, SinB had to take a breather, laying her chin on top of Yerin’s shoulder. Yerin, though, continued to place chaste, yet tingling kisses alongside the younger girl’s jawline. Once she reached the sensitive spot near SinB’s ear lobe, a lusty howl managed to escape from the Alpha wolf. Embarrassed from letting her guard down, SinB refused to show her face as she felt Yerin’s mouth stretch into a wide grin before playful giggles ringed into her ears.

 

“SinB-ah,” Yerin cooed, trying to get the younger girl’s attention. “You have nothing to be flustered about, my little puppy dog. Clifford. Sinoopy. Sinooby Doo~.”

 

“Please, Yerin-ah,” SinB spoke, voice muffled. “I can’t stand pet names. Especially, cheesy puns like those.”

 

“Fine. I’ll stop it with the pet names once you kiss me on the lips.”

 

Head slowing rising away, SinB gave Yerin an exaggerated pout before leaning in again and kissing the older girl’s lips that were incredibly soft like rose petals. The single kiss soon turned into a flurry and the pair were back to their display of passionate adoration.

 

Amidst occasional moans and groans from the both of them, a strange feeling began to toy with SinB’s mind. It was as if a peculiar presence was lurking in their vicinity. Not wanting to worry Yerin, SinB decided it was best to use her heightened hearing and try to search for any suspicious sounds while she proceeded to nibble on the older girl’s bottom lip.

 

First, it was the rattling of keys. Then, it was unbolting of the front door’s lock. As SinB heard the door swing open, a dyad of very distinct and familiar voices became apparent as ever. Eyes snapping wide open, she knew exactly whom the two voices belonged to.

 

“Your parents are home,” SinB, keeping her volume as low as possible, alerted after hastily departing from the liplock.

 

Yerin’s eyebrows jumped to the middle of her forehead. “What are they doing back so early?” she whispered, sitting and searching for her clothes as soon as SinB climbed off her.

 

“Something about your dad accidentally buying the wrong train ticket for 8:30 am instead of 8:30 pm,” SinB informed, picking up her jeans and briskly redressing herself.

 

Yerin, who tossed on a pair of pajama bottoms and a baggy t-shirt, soon came to assist by hooking the clasp of SinB’s bra and pulling the sweatshirt over the younger girl’s body. Hurriedly putting on her shoes and sliding her arms through the leather jacket, SinB combed her fingers through her hair in hopes of appearing marginally presentable.

 

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

 

“Yerin-ah, are you awake?” said Mrs. Jung.

 

SinB’s heart began to beat frantically. “Maybe I can say that I slept over,” she told Yerin anxiously. “I mean, it’s not that far from the truth.”

 

“I was actually thinking that it’ll be better for you to sneak out the window,” Yerin replied, ushering SinB to the area and sliding the curtains to one side.

 

“You don’t want them to know I was here?” SinB questioned, slightly hurt from the possibility of having to keep their relationship a secret.

 

Yerin’s expression softened. “Well, it’ll be kind of awkward for my folks to see you walk out of my room once I tell them that you’re my girlfriend.” She smiled as bright as the morning sun before opening the window pane.

 

SinB clutched Yerin’s arm. “Say it again,” she said huskily, staring at the beautiful, older girl with such an intensity.  

 

Eyes locked on SinB, Yerin stepped closer to the girl’s personal space and smoothed out the collar of the jacket. “Hwang Eunbi, who is not only my best friend, is now my girlfriend,” she reiterated with a tone as sweet as honey.

 

Unable to contain her happiness, SinB beamed as she leaned her forehead against Yerin’s. “Girlfriend,” she repeated dreamily. “I love it when you talk domestic.” Closing the gap between them, SinB relayed one last breathtaking kiss before swinging her legs over the window and dropping down from the first floor onto the concrete pavement. “I’ll see you later at the track field,” she reminded, walking backwards and blowing a kiss before taking off.

 

Feeling a rush of adrenaline, SinB ran all the way to the end of the block; her smile never faltered. She slowed down her pace to a leisurely walk as she approached the neighborhood park up ahead. Families coming from church made their way to the tables supplied with shade while children zoomed past SinB towards the playground.

 

Wanting to enjoy the delightful Sunday morning for a little while longer, SinB decided to rest under the park’s grand willow tree. Before sitting down, she plucked a dried, cottony dandelion from the ground and brought out her phone to text her mom. SinB turned her phone on, eyes immediately landing on the notification of a new voicemail from Sowon. Rolling the flower’s stem between her thumb and forefinger, SinB unlocked her phone and listened to the message play.

 

“Wolfpup, can we meet up tomorrow? There’s something important I need to tell you.” Sowon paused, and SinB could decipher what sounded like a piece of paper crunching. “It’s urgent.”

 

Curious and concerned, SinB called the Beta wolf’s phone number. After three rings of the dial tone, Sowon picked up with a somewhat annoyed “Hello.”

 

Refusing to let anything spoil her good mood, SinB greeted the tall girl with a mild brightness in her cadence.“Hey, Sowon, I got your message. Did something bad happen?”

 

“About time, Wolfpup,” Sowon blatantly replied with a huff. “I’m driving in my car at the moment, and I have you on speaker phone. I’ll explain the situation in greater detail face-to-face. For now, tell me your location so we can meet.”

 

“I’m actually in town right now. By the park near City Hall to be more exact.”

 

“Lucky for me, I’m around the area, as well. Stay put, Wolfpup. I’ll be there in a couple of minutes.”

 

Without saying bye, Sowon hung up, leaving SinB even more puzzled. Shrugging, SinB leaned against the tree as she typed up a text message for her mom stating that she had a pleasant night with Yerin (she felt the heat rise upon her cheeks upon writing that part) and that she will be coming back to Aunt Sooji’s apartment soon. She sent the text and continued to twirl the dandelion, watching as its feathery petals flew into the air.

 

About five minutes later, Sowon arrived in her sleek, black Camaro. Pulling up near the curb of the park, she got out and searched for the Alpha werewolf. Recognizing the taller girl from her spot, SinB stood up and walked, calling out to Sowon. As she came closer into view, SinB noticed that Sowon wasn’t exactly dressed in her Sunday’s best. Wearing a pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses, Sowon had on a dark red moto jacket, frayed denim shorts, and long laced boots. Out of the corner of SinB’s eye, she saw a group of teenage boys swoon at the sight. Sowon smirked as she met SinB halfway up the field.

 

“Sowon, what’s up? Is something wrong?”

 

The model-esque girl took a step closer to SinB before removing her sunglasses. “Wolfpup, it seems so long since I’ve last saw you,” she spoke in an oddly alluring manner.

 

SinB knitted her eyebrows. “It’s only been two days.”

 

“And what a long two days it’s been,” Sowon recovered, invading the younger girl’s space by laying a hand on her shoulder. SinB quickly tensed from the touch, wanting to take a step backward. “All night, my mind couldn’t stop thinking about you that I just had to call to check how you’ve been and if you were thinking about…” Sowon paused abruptly as her coquettish expression suddenly shifted into confusion. “Your scent is different,” she spoke slowly, hauntingly. Eyes sharp, she inclined her head towards SinB’s neck and inhaled. When she stood up straight again, Sowon had a look of what SinB could only describe as a mixture of disgust and betrayal. “Did you sleep with Yerin?”

 

Frazzled and offended by Sowon’s bluntness, SinB furrowed her brow as she forcefully her shoulder away from the taller girl’s grip. “I don’t think it’s any of your business.”

 

“Don’t be glib with me, Wolfpup,” Sowon demanded, eyes piercing. “I can smell her on you.”

 

SinB shook her head in disbelief over what she was going to admit to the domineering Beta. “Fine. The truth is, Yerin and I are in a relationship now. We’re girlfriends.” Despite the anger that was trembling inside her, SinB’s tone softened as flashbacks from the night before calmed her mind. “It turns out that while I was hiding my feelings for her, Yerin was hiding her feelings for me.” SinB glanced at Sowon who clenched her jaw. Line of vision darting to the bundle of dandelions on the ground, SinB continued. “We sort of ran into each other last night and that’s when everything was revealed. I eventually told her my secret about being a werewolf. Surprisingly, she didn’t freak out or ran away or start a angry mob to hunt me down. She accepted me, every part of me. And because of that, I fell even more in love with her.”

 

Silent, Sowon crossed her arms as her gaze took notice of SinB’s swollen lips. “That’s… that’s quite a storybook ending if I ever heard one.” She cleared and stepped away from the young werewolf. “I have to go now.”

 

“Wait, Sowon,” SinB spoke before she walked away. “What about your message? What was so ‘urgent’ that you needed to talk to me for?”

 

“Oh, it’s not as important anymore,” Sowon brushed the subject off coolly, seemingly unfazed. “I guess I was just being dramatic. It probably didn’t help that I had a glass a wine before I made the call, either.”

 

“Are you sure?” SinB asked, not buying the excuse. “You sounded pretty serious judging from the voicemail.”

 

“Trust me, it wasn’t that big of a deal now that I think about it.”

 

Figuring there was no way for the taller girl to reveal her real reasoning, SinB dropped the subject. “Alright, then. Listen, Sowon, I just want to say thanks for putting up with me these past couple of weeks. And, even though some of your teaching methods were harsh, thanks for also helping me with my werewolf abilities.” Hoping to counter the awkward tension between them, SinB relayed a well-meaning, yet meek smile.

 

Sowon’s face remained neutral. “Don’t mention it. Congrats, by the way, to your newfound love with Yerin. Looks like you were right all along.” Slowly walking backwards, Sowon placed on her sunglasses and acknowledged the group of prepubescent boys who have been staring at them from afar. “I guess I’ll see you around, SinB.”

 

“What, no more ‘Wolfpup’?”

 

“No,” Sowon replied, heading shaking from side to side. “I think you’ve grown out of your ‘Wolfpup’ status.” Turning her back away from SinB, Sowon strutted to her car. She got in and sped off, leaving tire imprints on the asphalt.


 

“So. Much. Cardio!” Yerin panted as she plopped on the bench. She tiredly laid down, arms and legs dangling from the sides of the bench’s narrow, metal frame. “Please tell me this is the last lap.”

 

SinB checked her watch. It was 3:35 in the afternoon. The two have been practicing on the school’s empty track field for almost an hour.

 

Right after SinB’s bizarre encounter with Sowon, she boarded a bus traveling to the intimidating metropolitan area that her aunt’s apartment was built upon. A piece of SinB sort of dreaded returning to the gaudy streets and wild atmosphere of the city. Being with Yerin made her realize how much she missed not only her best friend, but also the comfort and reliability of her hometown. But, as soon as she arrived and was greeted by her mom’s relieved face along with the barks of her aunt’s hyper Pomeranians, SinB knew that there were many people and places in her life that she could call “home.”

 

Taking a swig of water and rolling the knot out of her neck, SinB sat on the edge of the bench. “This is the last lap,” she parroted. But, before Yerin could relax, SinB followed up with, “… is what I will say after you complete this last lap right now.”

 

“Savage SinB-ah!” Yerin wailed, using her foot to weakly kick the younger girl’s leg. “I feel like my legs are gonna give up and there’ll be no way for me to walk back home.”

 

“I’ll carry you home,” SinB replied, as if it were the solution to everything. “Besides, I’ve also been running these laps with you, and I don’t feel tired.”

 

“That’s because you’re a stupid, y werewolf who’s just showing off,” Yerin countered, draping an arm across her eyes to shield herself from the sun.

 

“Please, Yennie~,” SinB busted out with her aegyo as she patted Yerin’s thigh. “Just one more lap and we’ll call it day. And, trust me, your legs will be thanking me when you’re the first person to cross the finish line during the relay race on Saturday.”

 

Yerin stayed quiet, too tired to quibble. Sighing, SinB stood up and tossed her empty water bottle into the nearby recycling bin. She glanced back at Yerin who laid breathlessly, milky white skin glistening with perspiration. SinB’s heartbeat quickened over the radiant beauty of her… girlfriend. Blushing, the young Alpha wolf still couldn’t believe that Yerin was hers, and she was Yerin’s. Tiptoeing back to the bench, SinB crouched down and softly kissed the fair maiden’s lips like she was a fairytale princess under the spell of a wicked witch. SinB leaned away and saw a wide, pleased smile expand the corners of Yerin’s mouth.

 

“I hate you, Sinooby Doo,” Yerin teased before drawing her arm away to reveal a sweet eye smile.

 

SinB chuckled. “Come on. Let’s do some warm up stretches first,” she said, offering her arms for Yerin to hold so she could pull her up.

 

After stretching out the kinks in their arms and legs, the pair leisurely walked to the inner ring of the 400m course. SinB had an arm wrapped around Yerin’s waist, while Yerin leaned her head on SinB’s shoulder. A refreshing, winter breeze cooled off their flushed skin. And, for once, the cause may not only because of all the exercise.

 

When they reached the starting line of the track course, SinB unwilling released her hold from Yerin. Suddenly cold from the absence of SinB’s embrace, the older girl readjusted her sweatshirt as she vacantly stared at the horizon.

 

“You okay, Yerin-ah?” SinB asked out of concern.

 

Breaking out of her daze, Yerin nodded. “I’m fine, SinB-ah. It’s just… it’s like my mind has finally caught up with the present. You know, with you and I together. A couple. Girlfriends. I’m scared that I might jinx our relationship and mess it all up.”

 

SinB shook her head in disagreement. “No, Yerin-ah. Between the two of us, I’m the more foolish one. But like I promised before, even if things do change, it’ll all be for the better. And, this, our relationship, is the best change that ever happened to me thus far.”

 

“Even better than becoming a werewolf?”

 

“A million, bajillion times better than becoming a werewolf.”

 

The two shared a giggle, a sense of calmness washing over them.

 

Yerin leaned forward, giving a surprise peck on SinB’s cheek. “First one who reaches the finish line gets to call the other person whatever pet name they want,” she rapidly said before dashing off.

 

SinB blinked, coming into terms of the supposed “deal” Yerin made. Breathing out a laugh and shaking her head in amusement, she began to jog in moderation, allowing Yerin to take the lead. She was well aware that she could catch up to Yerin and beat her in an instant. Although, Sinoopy, Sinooby Doo, and Puppy Dog weren’t the most favorable nicknames to be called, they did make Yerin happy. And, Yerin’s happiness was all SinB could ever want.

 

When I was younger I saw my daddy cry

And curse at the wind.

He broke his own heart and I watched

As he tried to reassemble it.

 

Picking up her pace, SinB ran closer to Yerin so that they were side by side as they reached the 200m mark. The younger girl playfully yawned in exaggeration before running faster and exceeding Yerin. Brow furrowed in determination, Yerin pumped her arms and legs harder to decrease the gap between them.

 

And my momma swore

That she would never let herself forget.

And that was the day that I promised

I'd never sing of love if it does not exist.

 

Approaching the 300m section,SinB looked over her shoulder and saw the amount of struggle and mental concentration on Yerin’s face. She was impressed, to say the least, especially since she herself was feeling a bit fatigued. Decelerating her speed by just a margin, SinB ignited with pride as she witnessed her girlfriend huff and puff her way past her. Soon enough, Yerin’s foot landed exactly on the finish line. The older girl slowed down and turned to check if she had really won. Seeing SinB proceed right after her moments later, confirmed Yerin as the victor.

 

Cheering and clapping, SinB ran up to Yerin and hugged her tightly, lifting her up before swaying themselves. Overwhelmed with euphoria, SinB lost balance, causing her and Yerin to tumble into the grassy area of the field. Yerin landed on top of SinB. Despite the both of them laughing their heads off from the unprepared slip, Yerin managed to kiss SinB’s lips who smiled with the utmost contentment in return.

 

But darling,

You are the only exception.


 

Once they had calmed down after laughing to their hearts’ content, the pair dusted themselves off and headed to the locker room. Since both were significantly sweaty from training and dirty from rolling around on the ground, the two decided to utilize the shower stalls. As tempting as it was and in spite of their risque escapades the night before, Yerin and SinB showered privately in their own separate stall.

 

SinB was the first one to finish, tiptoeing through the rows to get to her locker. She changed into some clean, casual clothes which included black leggings and a dark gray t-shirt. Retrieving her comb from her drawstring backpack, she sat on the bench and began to detangle the knots out of her damp hair. While doing so, a moist Yerin crept by the locker area wearing only a towel. Eyes enlarging at the sight, SinB quickly looked down out of respect, focusing on the ends of her brunette hair.

 

“Geez, it took forever for the water to get warm,” Yerin commented, taking a seat on the bench and reaching for the bottle of lotion in her locker. “How did you take a shower so quickly, SinB-ah?” she asked while applying the creamy substance on her leg.

 

Captivated by the goddess in front of her, SinB snapped out of her reverie and continued to comb. “Oh, my aunt’s bathroom is the same, so I’ve kind of gotten used to it. Actually, I don’t really mind cold showers these days.” I could go for another cold shower right now, SinB thought to herself, teeth digging into her bottom lip.  

 

Yerin nodded before turning her attention to the younger girl. “You smell really good, SinB-ah,” she said cutely with a toothy grin. “Like jasmine flowers and a hint of vanilla.”

 

SinB giggled from the somewhat random change in topic. She scooted herself closer to Yerin and glanced over the name of the lotion’s fragrance: Mad About You. How fitting. “You smell good all the time,” SinB said matter-of-factly. Yerin scoffed, massaging the lotion on her collarbone and neck. SinB held back a whimper as she recomposed herself. “I’m serious. One of the things that I’ve discovered about being a werewolf is that everyone has their own unique scent. Something that’s theirs alone, like a fingerprint.”

 

Quirking an eyebrow, Yerin slid as close as possible so that their shoulders were touching. “What’s my unique scent?” she asked, staring intensely into SinB’s eyes.

 

The young werewolf gulped. “I haven’t figured it out yet.”

 

“Is that a bad thing?”

 

I don’t see how it could be a bad thing,” SinB responded with a squeak. “Besides, I like how your scent is a mystery, how it’s simply incomparable. All I know is that whenever I come across it, my senses become… excited.”

 

“Excited like how?” Yerin spoke in a hushed, sensual tone.

 

Hairs on the back of her neck standing at attention, SinB was intoxicated once again. By Yerin’s indescribable scent. By Yerin’s mesmerizing charms. By the one and only Jung Yerin. SinB began to feel all the symptoms that she knew too well. Her heart raced, mind whirled, and stomach filled with butterflies. With a deep inhale, SinB cupped the side of Yerin’s face and kissed her like her life depended on it. Yerin eagerly accepted the kiss, sliding her hand underneath SinB’s shirt and caressing her girlfriend’s toned body. The two continued to make out as SinB guided Yerin down onto the bench. Each kiss and caress made SinB feel like she was invincible. That even though she was still unsure about the werewolf that lurked inside her, nothing could take away her love for Yerin.

 

Breaking off the kiss, SinB stared at Yerin adoringly, both of them panting as if they had ran a mile. SinB slowly sat up and returned to her grooming rituals. In a daze, Yerin stayed put, smiling in satisfaction.

 

SinB also couldn’t hide the smirk that toyed on her lips. Acting casual, she put her comb away and grabbed her Converse high top shoes. “How did your parents respond when you told them about us?” she brought up.

 

Yerin jerked forward, staring at SinB incredulously. “Do you really want to talk about my parents after… that?”

 

SinB breathed out a short chortle. “Just curious. I also told my Umma and Aunt that we’re a couple when I went back.”

 

Yerin stood up, wrestling to put on a pair of skinny jeans while holding onto her towel. “They weren’t surprised,” she replied casually. “My Appa even said it was about time that we realized our feelings for each other.”

 

“Funny,” SinB added. “My Umma said the same exact thing.”

 

“She didn’t question why you weren’t with Sowon anymore?” The older girl turned away from SinB, quickly clasping her bra and slipping a yellow-striped shirt over her head.

 

“I never got the chance to tell her about my lie of the century.” SinB’s smile faltered at the mention of the Beta wolf. Though she managed to take her mind off it, there was something unsettling about Sowon’s tone in the voicemail. And for the usually brazen Sowon to just pretend that nothing bothered her, made SinB even more agitated.

 

“SinB-ah, what’s wrong?”

 

Snapping out of her thoughts, SinB realized that she hadn’t concealed her anxiety. “Nothing, it’s just… Sowon called me last night. She left me a voicemail, saying that she wanted to talk to me about something urgent. I managed to meet up with her this morning when I left your house, and she was acting really strange. I told her that we’re girlfriends now, and then, she suddenly played it off like her message didn’t mean anything.”

 

Eyebrows knitted, Yerin appeared worried for the tall girl. “Hm. Well, I hope she’s doing okay. I don’t know Sowon as personally as you do, but if she had decided to call you out the blue late at night, then that must mean something’s troubling her.”

 

SinB nodded in agreement, her forehead still creased with uneasiness. As she began to tie her shoe, she eyed at Yerin who took out an orange-tinted canister from her bag.

 

“What you have there, Yerin-ah? Please don’t tell me you’ve enter the dark side,” SinB kidded, but also hoped that the older girl’s health was stable.

 

“Relax, SinB-ah. I’m just taking some Vitamin C as a precaution,” Yerin explained, jiggling the bottle until a single round pill rolled out. “With how fickle the weather is, I do not want that to interfere with my immune system and decreasing my chances of competing on Saturday.” Holding the medicine, Yerin looked in her bag and around her feet only to frown. “Damn, I think I left my water bottle outside.”

 

As Yerin prepared to stand up, SinB swiftly tightened the knot of her shoelace before laying a hand on her girlfriend’s arm. “Stay here, Yerin-ah. I’ll get it for you. I don’t want you to go back outside in the cold with your hair still wet. You might risk contracting the flu, and then all of my hard work would be for nothing,” she joked with a bemused smirk.

 

Yerin sarcastically rolled her eyes before directing a face filled with aegyo, “Gomawo, Sinooby Doo~.”

 

If SinB was annoyed with her new nickname, she didn’t show it. Instead, she rose up, kissed the top of Yerin’s head, and jogged out of the locker room with an easygoing, “I’ll be back in a minute.”

 

Alone, Yerin laughed to herself, knowing well that SinB might actually return with her PomPom Purin water bottle in less than a minute. That meant that she had to work fast, as well. Lifting up her duffle bag and settling it on the bench, Yerin began to search through its contents. Her face brightened when she found the small, boxed item, covered in Harry Potter themed wrapping paper. As she heard the door of the locker room click open, Yerin hastily and carefully placed the gift back into her bag.

 

“SinB-ah, you slowpoke,” Yerin teased, her voice echoing throughout the hollow building. “You said you were returning in a minute. According to my watch, I have you at one minute and fifteen seconds. You’re losing your touch, Sinooby Doo. You’re losing your touch.”

 

Though giggling, Yerin soon grew apprehensive over the bone-chilling silence that swept over the locker room. SinB would have said something humorous and snarky back. SinB would have already appeared at their locker area, hand holding out the water bottle and lips twitched into a playful smirk. SinB would have… Unless, that wasn’t SinB who quietly entered through the door.

 

*Grrrrrrrr*

 

Yerin shot up from her seat at the sound of what she surmised was a wolf lowly growling. Her heartbeat thumped panic through her bloodstream as goosebumps emerged on her arms.

 

“SinB-ah,” Yerin called again, cadence much more timid, “if this is your way of playing a prank on me, then I suggest you stop right now. I already know what you look like as a werewolf. You’re not going to scare me. I’m not afraid of you.” She said the last sentence more as a reminder to herself to not be so easily frightened.

 

Inhaling a breath to control her nerves, Yerin found the courage to step out of the safety of the lockers and confront whatever awaited her.

 

Standing all the way at the end of the room, nearby Coach Kwon’s office, was a towering werewolf about the same size as SinB when she was in wolf form. But, Yerin was a hundred percent positive that this creature, who stood only several meters away from her, was not the person she loved playing a harmless trick on her. For starters, this wolf had pitch-black fur and its eyes glowed a tantalizing blue. But, it was in the way the wolf stared at Yerin that made her realize the amount of ruthlessness it carried in its heart.

 

Yerin pressed her lips together, trying to formulate some response to get the werewolf to not attack her for some inexplicable reason. But, as the dark-haired wolf crouched to the floor with hunched shoulders and hind legs ready to spring, Yerin could tell that it had made up its mind. The werewolf charged toward her with incredible speed, and all Yerin could do was stand helplessly, every joint and limb in her body frozen with fear. The creature jumped, soaring into the air and landing its paws directly on Yerin’s chest. The force caused her to fall back on the ground with a serious thud, leaving her unconcious.

***

It didn’t take long for SinB to find Yerin’s water bottle that was hidden underneath the bench they had occupied. As she bent down to retrieve it, though, something written on the side of the bench caught her eye. It was a shoddy engraving of a heart that had “C.Y+J.Y” carved inside of it. SinB knew that those initials could belong to anyone in the entire school. Surely, it couldn’t only stand for Choi Yuju and Jung Yerin. Still, that didn’t stop the jealous girl from grabbing the first rock she could find and using its pointed edge to cross out the heart with an X. She thought about recreating the engraving with her and Yerin’s initials, but she decided against it in the end. Their relationship was much more valuable and precious than to have it flimsily scrawled on a rusty bench.

 

Picking herself up, SinB walked back only to make a quick stop at the drinking fountain to refill the bottle that was half-way full. Once she took care of that, she made her way to the locker room, pulling down on the lever of the door. Brows furrowing when the door didn’t allow her entry, she tried opening it again, again, and again. Nothing. Growing worried, SinB began knocking at the door while calling out Yerin’s name. Using her heightened hearing, she listened, hoping to hear her girlfriend’s muffled laughter to signal that she was just being mischievous.

 

What SinB heard, though, was far more than a harmless prank. She heard something heavy and lifeless being dragged on the locker room’s polished tiled floor. A surge of worry and concern swept through every fiber of SinB’s body. She had to know. She needed to know that Yerin was okay.

 

Holding down the lever, she began using her shoulder like a battering ram, throwing herself vigorously against the door to get it to budge. As she did so, SinB grunted and growled aggressively, ready to tear apart whoever threatened Yerin. With one more powerful push, SinB got the door to swing open, sending her stumbling into the building from the momentum.

 

Before she could fall, SinB quickly regained her balance, standing upright. But, what she saw made her want to crumble to her knees. A werewolf. Black hair. Blue eyes. The beast circled around Yerin who laid on the ground in a comatose state. SinB’s blood boiled and heartbeat skyrocketed. What on earth was she trying to do?

 

The darked-haired werewolf halted her promenade, sauntering towards SinB. Stopping about three feet away from the younger girl, the wolf’s cold, blue eyes altered into brown as she shifted back into her human form.

 

Sowon, wearing the same attire as she had on that morning, crossed her arms dauntingly.

 

“Surprise, Wolfpup.”



Song lyrics used: “The Only Exception” by Paramore

Side Note: This is unrelated to GFriend, but I would like to recommend a f/f pairing for you guys to check out if your in the mood for a ship that’s soft, y, and adorable. They’re called ‘Flozmin’ (Florencia and Jazmin) from the Argentine telenovela Las Estrellas. I’ve been watching videos of their story arc on Youtube for days, and I’m completely smittened by them. Very cute, plus one of the characters often sports the same space buns hairstyle that Yerin is known to have *^*