Ch. 11: Shimmy Shimmy Quarter Turn

Ease My Mind

A/N: Hey, everyone! Another late, but long update (about 18 pages on Word) up ahead. I'm in the middle of exams and projects right now, but I haven't forgotten about this fic. Thank you to all the new subscribers and a big thanks for all the support and upvotes toward EMM. It means the world to me to know that you guys look forward to each update :)

 

Without further ado, please enjoy this chapter! ^^



 

The wilted flowers that I gave/ Were not as nice as your bouquet

All the lyrics that I wrote/ Not as smart as the words you spoke

The starlight above my hometown/ Ain't as bright as the star I've found

Every drawing that I drew/ Was never ever as cute as you

 

SinB never considered herself to be a superstitious person. She believed that hard work and dedication were the two key factors to achieve anything. Of course, she also recognized that some people were just born naturally talented. And, some, a very small fraction of some, were given abilities through unexplainable, supernatural forces.

 

But, there was one exception to her belief. And, currently, SinB carried that item in her hand.

 

Her lucky running shoes.

 

Ever since Freshman year of high school, SinB has never worn any other pair of shoes during a competition. It was a birthday present from her parents. Though her mom and dad had their differences on a daily basis, gifting their daughter those expensive, yet marvelous track shoes was something they actually agreed on for once.

 

As she walked passed the track field to go to the locker room that Thursday morning, SinB looked down at the beloved shoes. They never failed to help her place in the top three position of every race. The metallic red and gold colors reflected in the sunlight. The soles were beginning to wear out, but they still looked as spectacular as when she first unwrapped them on her birthday.

 

Her prized running shoes wasn’t the only thing SinB was carrying. Despite the downpour of rain yesterday, today was nothing but sunshine and blue skies. Most importantly, the plants in her Appa’s garden had bloomed beautifully from the storm’s rejuvenation.

 

Before making her trek to school, SinB decided to pluck a handful of yellow dandelions. They were Yerin’s favorite kind of flower. Back when they were younger and Yerin would have playdates over at her house, SinB can recall her best friend’s instant fascination with these frilly, wild flowers. How she would dig her nose into one of the flowers to smell its fragrance only to giggle from the petals’ ticklish sensation.

 

SinB smiled from the memory.

 

Thinking back to how heartbroken Yerin was yesterday, SinB knew dandelions would be the perfect thing to brighten up the older girl’s day. Did it seem like a gesture that a girlfriend rather than a best friend would do? Perhaps, but SinB didn’t care. She wanted to show Yerin that she was thinking about her, regardless of whether there were romantic feelings attached.

 

Gotta get it back to/ A backup plan to find you

Start acceleration/ Take it back to square one

 

Pushing the door and crossing the threshold of the locker room, SinB was met with rows upon rows of unattended lockers. Ears plugged in and listening to music, SinB sniffed the air and couldn’t even distinguish Coach Kwon’s scent that was reminiscent of herbal tea.

 

SinB relaxed a bit as she casually walked to her designated locker. She began to bob her head to the beat of the song and even tried her best at whistling along with the melody.

 

Upon entering her section, though, SinB immediately froze. She could have sworn that she was the only person in the room. Hoping her eyes were playing tricks on her, SinB removed her earphones and cleared loudly to get the other person’s attention. To SinB’s dismay, the person turned around to meet her face. SinB’s heart rate anxiously increased. Out of all the people in school, why did she have to be alone with…

 

“Yuju-ssi,” SinB acknowledged her best friend’s girlfriend, a certain tightness in her tone. “What are you doing here?” She quickly hid both the shoes and flowers behind her back before her rival could notice.

 

“Oh, good morning, SinB-ssi,” Yuju exchanged pleasantries with her signature, friendly smile. “I was hoping to keep this hidden until track practice, but I suppose you can keep a secret. Right?”

 

“Depends on the secret,” SinB remarked, a tight-lipped smile forming on her face to match Yuju’s.

 

The lifelong rival chuckled. “Don’t worry, SinB-ssi. It’s nothing too serious.” She took a step forward and placed her hands behind her back. “I’ve been feeling really guilty lately about Yerin. First, I refused to believe that a monster came to her rescue. And, then, I pushed her too hard and caused her to injure her ankle. I wanted to keep her company, yesterday, after taking her back to her house. Unfortunately, I had to deal with some family issues. All night, I tossed and turned, wondering if I’m truly the girlfriend she deserves. I don’t know if I can give a definite answer, but… I know in my heart that I would do anything to keep our relationship going. That's why I wanted to do this for her.”

 

Stepping to the side, Yuju revealed Yerin’s opened locker. In it was a heart-shaped box of chocolates with a letter weaved behind its ribbon. But, that wasn't all. Right in the center was a luscious bouquet of radiant, nose-tickling…dandelions. SinB’s heart split down the center as she clenched tightly on the stems of the same flowers she initially brought for Yerin. Hers, though, were arguably less pleasing in appearance compared to Yuju’s.

 

“I got her chocolates because I know she has a sweet tooth for them. And, I remembered how much she adored the dandelions in the park,” Yuju explained, eyes twinkling as she made sure the placement was perfect. She looked back at a silent SinB. “Do you think Yerin will like it?”

 

SinB snapped out of her jealous reverie and cleared once more. “She’ll love it,” she replied in practically a whisper, trying to keep herself together.

 

Yuju breathed out a sigh of relief as her smile widened. “That's good to hear. Kamsahamnida.” Her demeanor became puzzled, though, as she noticed that the younger girl looked as if she was trying to hide something. “If you don't mind me asking, SinB-ssi, but what are you holding behind your back?”

 

SinB pressed her lips together, debating in her mind. Her lucky track shoes was common knowledge to the whole team. As for the flowers, SinB thought she was the only person who knew that nothing made her best friend happier than blowing on a dried dandelion and watching its feathery seeds fly through the air. Until, now.

 

Simultaneously, she took both hands away from her back and raised them into view. “My lucky running shoes. I didn’t want to forget them during tomorrow’s meet.”

 

“And, the dandelions?” Yuju asked with a hint of suspicion.

 

“They're from my Appa’s garden,” SinB responded quickly. “I grabbed a couple this morning to give them to… Coach Kwon. Just a little something to thank her for letting me back in the team at such a short notice.”

 

Before Yuju could speak, the locker room door squeaked open. SinB instantly distinguished the Coach’s scent. She unlocked her locker, put away the pair of shoes, and hastily closed it before turning to meet Yuju again.

 

“That's probably Coach,” SinB pointed out, slowly backing away. “Well, I'm going to give these to her now. I'll see you at lunch, Yuju-ssi.”

 

“See you,” Yuju returned with a wave, though her expression remained slightly confused. “Oh, SinB-ssi, don't forget. I want Yerin to be surprised.”

 

SinB simply nodded her head, wanting to leave as quickly as possible. “My lips are sealed.”

 

Turning around, SinB inhaled through her nose to calm her heart down. Just when she thought she had the advantage for once, Yuju had to barge in and do something even more extravagant.

 

SinB wanted to throw the pathetic bundle of dandelions in the trash. But, it would have been a waste. So, she decided to live up to her lie and visit the Coach’s office.

 

Since the school had an open door policy for all of the teachers, SinB ceremoniously knocked on the door before turning the handle. Caught off guard, Coach Kwon looked up from her desk only to smile at one of the team’s best runners.

 

“SinB. What a surprise,” Coach Kwon said. “You're just the person I wanted to talk to. I was going to write you a pass to skip first period. But, since you're already here, I guess there's no need to.”

“I’m sure there’s still time for that, Coach Kwon,” SinB replied with a cheeky smile as she went inside and closed the door behind her.

“In your dreams, Hwang,” Coach Kwon fired back. She stood up from her chair and pointed her chin to the now droopy dandelions in SinB’s fist. “What are the flowers for?”

“They're for you. Kamsahamnida for accepting me back into the team after my hiatus.” SinB held out the flowers and bowed her head to the Coach.

“No problem,” Coach Kwon coolly thanked, accepting the flowers. Staring at the dandelions, she brushed her fingers over the petals before returning her attention to SinB. “Interesting. These look like the same kind of flowers that Yuju is going to surprise Yerin with. She was holding them this morning while waiting for me to unlock the locker room.”

“What a coincidence,” SinB commented with a bitter bite in her tone.

 

“Let me guess. You wanted to give them to Yerin, but you saw Yuju. So, you lied and said that they were actually for me,” Coach Kwon hypothesized. She smirked upon seeing SinB’s eyebrows jump to her hairline in confoundment. “It's okay, SinB. I was a teenager once. I know what it's like… far too well.” Staring into space, Coach Kwon began to frown as unwanted memories from her high school days came back to haunt her.

 

“Coach Kwon? Are you okay?” SinB spoke in concern when the Coach continued to stare blankly at the wall.

 

Shaking her head, the Coach’s eyes landed back on SinB. “I’m fine,” she answered, smiling out of embarrassment. “Anyways, since you're in my company, SinB, there are a few things I want to discuss to you about the race on Friday. Have a seat.” She gestured for the young girl to sit down on the chair opposite from her desk.

 

SinB complied, pulling up the chair and placing herself in it. Coach Kwon continued to stand,  her friendly smile still intact. She set the flowers carefully on the edge of the desk before digging her hands into the pockets of her track pants. Suddenly, her lips straightened into a thin line as her eyes zoned in on SinB intimidatingly. Without warning, she brought her hand out to reveal a mini flashlight. In an instant, she pressed the button to turn the bright, LED light on before shining it directly on SinB’s face.

 

“Hwang Eunbi, or better known as SinB,” Coach Kwon spoke in her best bad cop cadence, “have you or are you taking performance enhancing drugs?”

 

“What?!” SinB squeaked, forehead creasing intensely and eyes squinting from the flashlight’s blinding beam. “Of course, not.”

 

“Just as I suspected,” Coach Kwon said authoritatively. She turned off the flashlight and placed it back in her pocket. Reaching into the drawer of her desk, she retrieved a small, plastic canister. “Now, go pee in this cup.”

 

“I’m confused, Coach,” SinB admitted, leaning as far away from the specimen cup as she could.

 

“Relax, SinB,” Coach Kwon assured, tone reverting back to its natural, easygoing state. “I need your urine sample to get you cleared so you can run in tomorrow's game. Silly me, I completely forgot to ask you earlier in the week. But, luckily, I have a friend in the medical field who can administer the procedure.”

 

Loosening the tightness in her shoulders, SinB began to reach for the cup until an abrupt thought occurred to her: Does being a werewolf affect her body chemistry? And, if it does, will it blatantly show up in the results? Like in a black and white horror movie, SinB could see herself being constrained and dissected on by doctors working for shady-looking government officials. A chill ran down her spine at the premonition.

 

SinB hastily drew back her arm and apologized. “Uh, mianhae, Coach. I already went to the restroom a few moments ago. But, you can give me the cup now and I’ll return it back later on in the day.”

 

“SinB, you know that’s not how it works,” Coach Kwon refuted. “An authorized personnel, which is me in this situation, must be in the same vicinity as you do your ‘business’ to make sure there’s no cheating or manipulation. But, since your tank is empty now, I suppose you can stop by the locker room at lunchtime and we can conduct it from there.”

 

“Sounds good, Coach,” SinB agreed, wearing a smile on the outside, but panicking in the inside. She got up from the chair and began walking backwards to the office’s exit. “I’ll see you, then. Enjoy the flowers, Coach.”

 

SinB bowed in a hurry. Her body was already halfway out the doorway before Coach Kwon could return the goodbye. With no time to waste, she darted out the locker room and made her way inside the school’s central building.

 

Scurrying up the steps to the Senior level, SinB was on the hunt for Navillera High’s second big wolf on campus. She marched to Sowon’s locker, stopping several feet away when a familiar scent caught her senses. Walking at a slower pace, SinB was surprised to see that Umji was chatting freely and casually with the Beta werewolf for the second time that week. What was even more surprising was that Sowon seemed to secretly enjoy the Sophomore’s company. SinB bustled nearer to her two confidants, a worried expression etched on her face.

 

“SinB-unnie!” Umji warmly greeted the older girl. “I heard what happened at track practice, yesterday. Is Yerin-unnie alright?”

 

“Yerin’s ankle is minorly sprained,” SinB responded. “I visited her after school that day, but she seems to be doing fine, thankfully.” She glanced at Sowon who stared back at her, eyes filled with judgment. “Umm, Sowon-ssi,” SinB anxiously addressed her ‘mentor’, “there’s a questions that’s been on my mind recently.”

 

“Ask away, Wolfpup,” Sowon encouraged, folding her arms and leaning her shoulder on the locker door.

 

“Hypothetically speaking, if a doctor were to examine my urine, are they going to notice something unusual about it? Something… un-human?” SinB asked, darting her vision to the wolf drawing on Umji’s spiral notebook.

 

“Oh. Without a doubt,” Sowon answered nonchalantly. “Why do you think I’m not in any sports programs? Other than the fact that I don’t do well in a team, I’m also aware that there is a no way my werewolf genes can pass any average medical exam.”

 

“I'm screwed,” SinB blurted before hitting her forehead on the nearest locker.

 

“What happened, Unnie?” Umji questioned, her round orbs filling with concern.

 

SinB in a breath as she turned to look at her next-door-neighbor. “My track coach needs me to take a urine drug test. If I can’t provide it by lunch, then I won’t be able to compete tomorrow.”

 

Umji tilted her head up to survey the taller, apathetic girl. “Sowon-unnie, we have to do something to help SinB.”

 

“Yeah, right,” Sowon scoffed. “It’s not my fault that Wolfpup decided to join the track team all for the benefit of sneaking a peak at a half- Yerin in the locker room. Do me a favor and leave me out of this, Pipsqueak.”

 

“Fine. But, know that if you’re not going to help us, then I’m no longer going to help you as a tutor,” Umji retaliated, straightening her stance to see eye-to-eye with a slouching Sowon.

 

The taller girl held her ground, challenging Umji with a menacing stare. The shorter girl looked away momentarily, only to return the gaze with a browbeat expression of her own. Sowon’s lips broke into an amused smirk.

 

“Alright,” Sowon gave up. “It’s clear you two are in desperate need of my assistance, so here’s the plan: Wolfpup and I will go to the cafeteria and have lunch with Yerin and Yuju to keep up with appearances. We’ll leave after fifteen minutes, or so. I’ll forge you a note, Pipsqueak, so you can get out of class early. We’ll meet at the narrow alleyway between the locker room and gymnasium. Pipsqueak, since you’re the only non-werewolf in this group, I need you to be the donor. Wolfpup will enter the locker room by herself. I’ll create a diversion that will cause Coach Kwon and anyone else to go outside. From there, Pipsqueak will slip in, urinate, and slip out. Coach will come back in, and Wolfpup will exit the stall looking as innocent as can be. No harm, no foul.”

 

“Are you sure this is going to work?” SinB asked, feeling apprehensive.


“I know my plan is best suited for ideal situations. But, have a little faith, Wolfpup.” Sowon stood upright, arms still crossed. “If there’s anyone who can devise a decent scheme, it’s me.”


 

“Do you think there’s even a hint of jealousy from Yerin when she sees us together?” SinB asked as she and Sowon, arms linked like the previous day, walked out of the cafeteria.

 

“Maybe. Maybe not,” Sowon responded vaguely. “It’s difficult to tell with Yuju being a distraction today. She was practically catering to Yerin, hand and foot.” Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a scowl forming on SinB’s lips. “As for you, Wolfpup, I could practically sense the envy radiating off your body and through your leather jacket.”

 

Once out of the crowded cafeteria and into the empty hallways, SinB unhooked her arm away from Sowon’s. The taller girl rolled her eyes. Before she could stubbornly cross her arms, Sowon felt her phone vibrate. Reaching into her jacket pocket, she took out her phone and sped through Umji’s text message.

 

“Pipsqueak received the excuse slip and now she’s heading to the locker room,” Sowon informed. Jaw clenched, SinB nodded her head in understanding.

 

The two continued to walk in silence. SinB was hoping it would stay that way. The last thing she needed at that moment was another snarky comment from the second person she despised in school. As they climbed down the stairs from the Senior level to the Junior level, SinB heard Sowon click her tongue.

 

“You know, Wolfpup,” Sowon began to speak, “I was thinking about what you said yesterday. About saving the person you cared for.” She paused, cascading down the steps from the Junior level to the Sophomore level. “You’re right. I would have probably done the same thing.”

 

“Glad to know you finally see things in my perspective,” SinB muttered as their feet skittered off the Sophomore steps to the Freshman floor.

 

“Don’t think I’ve given up on my belief that you should let go of your feelings for Yerin, ” Sowon emphasized, pushing open the entrance door. “You may have played ‘Superwolf’ the other day, but you still have a lot to learn.” Sowon felt another buzz from her phone. She skimmed the short message from Umji. “C’mon. Pipsqueak is waiting for us.”

 

In tandem, the duo began to jog to the checkpoint Sowon configured in her plan. With every student and faculty member inside having lunch or still in class, the school ground was desolate. It wasn’t long before SinB and Sowon arrived at the alleyway that was about two feet wide. The pair spotted Umji who hid all the way in the back, cloaked by the darkness of shadows. Not wanting to squeeze herself through the dingy space, Sowon whistled for Umji to come closer to them. The younger girl obliged. As Umji stood before the two upperclassmen, she kept continuously crossing one leg in front of the other.

 

“Are you alright, Umji-ya?” SinB questioned, observing the Sophomore’s uncomfortable stance.

 

“Can we please hurry this plan along, Unnies?” Umji spoke with a shaky smile. “I’ve been drinking water the whole day in preparation.”

 

“By all means, Pipsqueak,” Sowon replied. She turned to look at SinB. “Alright, Wolfpup, all you have to do is act natural. I’ll be listening into your conversation with Coach Kwon, so don’t be surprised if I pop up out of the blue. And, one more thing,” she exchanged her attention between SinB and Umji, “I need you two to work fast. If something bad happens, I’m bringing you both down with me. Capiche?”

 

“Roger that,” SinB agreed dispassionately. She adjusted her leather jacket, lifted the corners of her cheeks into a believable smile, and turned around to walk to the locker room.

 

Opening the door, SinB strolled in and saw Coach Kwon sitting on the bench near her office. Right next to her was a half-eaten salad that was neglected as she busied herself with texting on her phone. As the click of the door echoed in the changing room, the Coach looked up to check who the visitor was. She smiled in relief to see that it was none other than SinB.

 

“SinB,” Coach Kwon cheerfully addressed her fellow pupil as she stood up, “is your bladder ready for that urine sample?”

 

SinB chuckled, sounding slightly nervous. “Ready as I’ll ever be.”

 

Smile growing to a grin, Coach Kwon went to her office and came back with the plastic testing cup in her hand. She walked over to where SinB stood and held it out. “Here you go, SinB. I’m sure you know what to do with it. When you’re finished, place it on the plastic tray in my office. I can drive to my friend’s research lab before lunch ends and have the results ready in no time. You’ll be cleared and all set to run tomorrow.”

 

“Thanks again, Coach, for doing this for me,” SinB spoke, wearing a smile filled with gratitude. “Out of curiosity, is anyone else here? I get a little shy in public facilities with multiple people around.”

 

“Nope. Just me,” Coach Kwon replied. “But, you don’t have to worry, SinB. All you have to do is relax and try not to make a mess.”

 

SinB gave the Coach a sheepish nod before treading to one of the stalls in the restroom portion of the locker room. Closing and bolting the door, SinB twisted the cup’s cap. She hovered over the toilet seat, squatting to make it seem as if she was sitting down.

 

What did I do to get myself in this ridiculous position? SinB thought to herself, counting the seconds until Sowon chimed in with the ambiguous “diversion.”

 

Legs beginning to quiver from the prolonged strain in her posture, SinB was about to curse out that devious, no-good Beta werewolf until…

 

“Coach Kwon!” Sowon’s voice reverberated throughout the locker room.

 

“Sowon-ssi, what are you doing here? What’s going on?” the Coach asked, tone confused and worried.

 

“You have to come outside quick,” Sowon said between heavy breaths. “There’s a wolf on the track field! I swear! I saw it with my own two eyes.”

 

“Calm down, Sowon-ssi. I’m in the middle of overseeing one of my students.”

 

“But, Coach Kwon, you have to believe me. I know what I saw, and I’m telling you that there is a big, terrifying wolf out there!”

 

“Alright, Sowon-ssi, I’ll go and check it out.” SinB heard the Coach fumbling out of her seat before following Sowon out the door. “SinB, just do what you need to do. I’ll be right back.”

 

Coach Kwon’s herbal tea scent dissipated from SinB’s senses. But, it was soon replaced with Umji’s daisy fragrance as she slipped into the locker room unnoticed. SinB could hear the younger girl skitter from the entrance all the way to the stalls on the other end of the room. Standing upright from her silly posture, SinB unlocked the door and ushered Umji into the cramped stall.

 

“Here’s the cup, Umji-ya,” SinB said, handing the plastic canister to the younger girl. “I’ll stand guard here and give you some privacy.”

 

“I know this is going to sound crazy, Unnie,” Umji spoke as she situated herself. “But, maybe you should get inside the stall with me just in case Coach Kwon comes back unexpectedly.”

 

SinB wanted to protest, but she knew that would only waste precious time. “Fine. Whatever.” With her back turned away from Umji, SinB crammed herself in the compact space before closing the door.

 

The things I do for love, SinB mused in her mind to distract herself from the sound of Umji’s bodily functions.

 

“Mianhae, Unnie,” Umji apologized shyly as she twisted the cap back on the specimen cup, “for making this situation more awkward than it already is.”

 

“It’s fine, Umji-ya,” SinB replied. “Thanks for doing this favor for me. I owe you a big one.”

 

Umji stood up, causing the toilet’s automatic flushing function to go off. “All done, Unnie.”

 

SinB turned around and spotted the sample cup sitting on the metal toilet paper dispenser. Her heart rate quickened when she picked up on Coach Kwon’s scent getting closer to the building. “You better get moving, Umji-ya,” SinB spoke frivolously, unlocking the stall and giving the younger girl space to leave. “Just go wash up in the school restroom. Again, I can’t say thank you enough.”

 

Umji smiled at SinB and gave her a thumb’s up before swiftly running to the entrance. Trying to make as little of noise as possible, Umji gently and slowly pushed the door, allowing enough space to slide her body through.

 

With the smell of herbal tea getting stronger, SinB grabbed the top of the cup and hurriedly made her way the Coach’s office. Inside, she placed the sample on the tray as instructed. Upon doing so, SinB heard the locker room entrance door open once again followed by two pairs of feet walking in and Sowon’s voice.

 

“Mianhae, Coach Kwon,” Sowon ruefully apologized. “In hindsight, the ‘wolf’ was probably just a very large dog.”

 

Stepping out of the office, SinB saw a shamefaced Sowon trailing behind Coach Kwon who was looking rather annoyed of the taller girl.

 

“It’s okay, Sowon-ssi,” Coach Kwon asserted. “But, be rational and try not to make a disturbance the next time this ‘wolf’ makes an appearance.” Her attention turned to SinB who was walking closer to them. “SinB, is everything all set?”

 

“Yes, Coach,” SinB simply responded. She glanced over at Sowon who smirked in return.

 

“Good,” Coach Kwon added. “Well, you girls go back to your lunchtime. I have an errand to run before the break is over.”

 

SinB and Sowon bowed at the same time before vacating out of the locker room. The two remained silent as they walked back to the school building. SinB could tell that Sowon was exhausted from having to distract the Coach. But, she didn’t want to skip out on the opportunity of getting on the Beta werewolf’s nerves.

 

“The girl who cried wolf,” SinB spoke. “How ironic.”


 

To SinB, the school day finished as fast as it began. And, if school felt only like a few measly minutes, track practice happened in a blink of an eye. Perhaps, it was because nothing really mattered to SinB when all she could think about were the “what if’s” in life. What if she, Sowon, and Umji had been caught? What if she had given her real urine sample unbeknownst of the consequences? What if she had never decided to study abroad in the first place?

 

Her life was becoming nothing but a mess filled with lies and secrets. And, SinB hated it.

 

But, what was even more despicable was how Yuju seemed to have everything under control. She was always known as the “star student” or the “over-achiever.” Classmates loathed how she practically exceeded in all things that mattered. Even parents wanted their children to be “more like Choi Yuju.”

 

It certainly drove SinB insane when her own mom told her that same phrase when she was younger. Maybe that was why one day in elementary school, SinB challenged Yuju to a race around the playground. Likewise, Yuju agreed. But, she was met with an unanticipated result when SinB proved to be faster of a runner than her.

 

What SinB first perceived as harmless competition soon turned into Yuju trying to reclaim her throne in whatever the two did together. Their rivalry became so intense that their schools made sure not to put them in the same P.E. class together after a very aggressive game of dodgeball.

 

In the end, SinB didn’t really care about winning. As long as she was able to annoy Yuju in some way, she believed she was doing a favor for all her fellow students who simply couldn’t just be “more like Yuju.”

 

Despite Yuju’s wealth, popularity, and academic achievements, SinB was far from envious. Because, in the end, she had Yerin to make her laugh, to make her smile, to encourage her during the hard times, and to be someone who she could rely on. SinB doubted that Yuju had a person like Yerin in her circle of friends. But, of course, all of that has changed.

 

As expected, Yerin was nothing short of ecstatic and joyful to open her locker and see the box of chocolates and lovely dandelions waiting for her. Even with her sprained ankle, she managed to leap into Yuju’s arms, planting the sort of kiss that SinB could only ever dream about. She felt her eyes seethe, again. Thankfully, SinB was able to release all of that rigid tension on the track field. Yet, her heart still pounded angrily at the thought of it.

 

Currently removing her backpack out of her locker, SinB double checked to see if she got everything she needed. Her eyes landed on her lucky track shoes. The metallic exterior managed to shine even in the dark locker. SinB brushed her fingertips on the smooth surface of one of the shoes, hoping that some of its luck would rub off on her. Briskly, she closed the locker door shut and turned to leave.

 

“SinB-ssi,” Yuju called out as she reappeared from the side, “are you going home now?”

 

Not in the mood to converse with the “golden student”, SinB discreetly let out an exasperated sigh before answering. “Yes. I promised my Umma that I would help her with making dinner,” she lied, knowing there would be cash left for her on the counter for the umpteenth time.

 

Yuju stepped closer to SinB, looking shyly at the ground and fidgeting with her hands. “I know we haven’t been on that great of terms, SinB-ssi. But, I want you to know  I’m trying to turn a new leaf. Seeing that smile on Yerin’s face this afternoon made me realize I don’t want to lose her. I understand you’re protective of her because she’s your best friend. But, please believe me when I say that Yerin is the best thing that’s happened to me in a long time, and I will do anything to make her happy.”

 

As Yuju looked back up, SinB detected something in her rival’s eyes: sincerity. SinB bit the inside of her cheek, hoping to quell the distortion of emotions she was going through. “I understand, Yuju-ssi,” she replied, unable to say anything more.

 

A wide smile beamed on Yuju’s face. “I’m glad.” Quickly checking her watch, Yuju hurriedly picked up her backpack and work out bag off the floor. “Uh, SinB-ssi, do you think you can walk Yerin to her house today? After what happened the other day, I don’t want her to go alone. I would have walked with her myself, I even had a special date planned, but I got a call from my Abeoji about some family matters.”

 

“Don’t worry, Yuju-ssi,” SinB reassured. “I’ll get Yerin home safely.”

 

“Kamsahamnida. Yerin is in Coach Kwon’s office, trying to convince her that she’s able to compete tomorrow,” Yuju informed with an unbreakable smile. “Isn’t she just adorable? Well, I gotta jet. See you at the track meet, SinB-ssi.” With a polite head bow, Yuju waved goodbye before jogging out of the locker room.

 

SinB let out a deep sigh. For once in her life, she actually considered Yuju to be a decent human being. And, a small part of her, a miniscule part of her, actually thought that Yuju was a good enough girlfriend for Yerin. The notion pained her as another scenario popped up in her mind: What if Yerin truly saw SinB as just a best friend?

 

“SinB-ah!”

 

Snapping out of her depressing daze, SinB refocused her vision and noticed Yerin’s face was hovering a mere few inches away from her own face. SinB, then, looked down to the side, and realized the older girl’s hands were resting on her shoulders.

 

“Yerin-ah,” SinB breathed out.

 

“Whew. Finally, I got your attention,” Yerin spoke with a relieved smile. “You were staring at the ground like a zombie. Is something the matter?” She took a step closer before tucking a strand of hair behind SinB’s ear.

 

“No. No, I was thinking about the race tomorrow,” SinB replied to put her friend at ease while shaking her head.

 

Yerin released her hold on SinB as she plopped herself on the bench. “I still can’t believe that Coach is making me skip out on the first track meet of the semester. My ankle is already practically healed. And, besides, Fantagio’s track course is so much better than ours. I doubt I would slip again even if I tried.”

 

SinB took a seat next to her friend. “Yerin-ah, it’s fine. You need your rest. That’s why I’m walking you home today to ensure that you don’t overwork yourself with training.”

 

“Yuju put you up to this, didn’t she?” Yerin asked.

 

“Even if she did, I wouldn’t mind being your walking buddy again like old times,” SinB proclaimed, a charming smile teasing on her lips.

 

Yerin playfully shoved SinB’s shoulder. “Fine. But, before we go, can you reapply my bandage, SinB-ah? Yuju wound it around my ankle a bit too tight.”

 

Laying her leg on the bench, Yerin removed her shoe and sock to present her bandaged ankle. Getting in a more comfortable position, SinB draped one leg over the bench and scooted closer to Yerin’s foot. As SinB unfastened the end of the elastic bandage, her eyes trailed up to the older girl’s knee. She realized that Yerin’s injured ankle was on the same leg as her scraped knee. Thankfully, the blood already dried over the scar. In a matter of days, both of Yerin’s injuries would heal, becoming a thing of the past. For some reason, it made SinB feel slightly optimistic inside.

 

“So,” Yerin spoke up as SinB continued to redress her ankle, “I was listening to more music from that band you like. Arctic Monkeys? There’s this one song that I’m really enjoying. I think it’s called, ‘Baby I’m Yours.’”

 

SinB’s face lit up from Yerin’s interest in her music taste. “Oh, yeah. I know that one. It’s actually a cover of an older song from the 1960s. But, it’s definitely one of my favorite, mellow tunes from them.” Wrapping the bandage, SinB knew how to balance between tight and loose.

 

“I checked the Korean translation of the lyrics, and they’re quite beautiful.” She stared at a concentrated SinB, and felt a smile tugging on the corner of her lips. “It’s the type of message and song that I want to dance at my wedding.”

 

Inserting the end of the bandage into one of the folds, SinB looked up and instantly met with Yerin’s eyes that were rich and tantalizing like dark chocolate. “Me, too,” she confessed, her gaze softening as her lips bloomed into a small smile.

 

Breaking eye contact, Yerin glanced at her newly bandaged ankle and promptly put her leg off the bench. “I claimed it first, SinB-ah,” Yerin joked as she put back on her sock and shoe. She stood up, smooth her skirt down, and went to her locker. Placing the box of chocolates in her backpack, Yerin threaded her arms through the straps before grabbing the bouquet of dandelions. “Let’s go, SinB-ah. I just remembered that I have a history test to study for.”

 

Perplexed by Yerin’s change of behavior, SinB got up from the bench. Reaching for her backpack off the floor, she swung it over her shoulder and followed her best friend out of the locker room.

 

Fingers playing with the flower petals, Yerin glanced at SinB and nudged the older girl with her elbow. “How are things going between you and Sowon-ssi?” she asked in a borderline teasing manner.

 

SinB inhaled a breath, unsure how to respond. “Sowon and I are doing fine. She's definitely not what I expected. But, it's interesting getting to know her more. Turns out we have more in common than I figured.”

 

“Aww, is my Eunbi-ya falling in love?” Yerin cooed as she pinched the younger girl’s cheek.

 

SinB leaned away, disgusted that Yerin would even joke about it. “Trust me, Sowon and I have a long way to go.”

 

“Whatever you say, SinB-ah,” Yerin sing songed before digging her nose into the flowers, taking in its fresh fragrance.

 

SinB’s mind was spinning out of aggravation. Why couldn't her dandelions be the source of Yerin’s happiness? Be the reason why that beautiful eye smile came out of hiding?

 

While Yerin was busy admiring her gift-given flowers, SinB picked up on another familiar flowery scent. Turning her head around, she spotted Umji barely emerging from the library's entrance. SinB stopped without warning, causing Yerin to halt in puzzlement.

 

“Yerin-ah, let me introduce you to a new friend of mine,” SinB spoke. She grabbed onto the older girl’s arm and led her to the direction of the library. “Umji-ya!” SinB yelled to get the young girl’s attention.

 

Arms holding onto her red notebook, Umji looked up and smiled, happy to see the werewolf-in-training. Moving her feet faster, Umji walked closer to the the two girls. She stopped in front of them and politely bowed to both SinB and Yerin.

 

“Yerin-ah,” SinB addressed the older girl, “this is Kim Umji, my next door neighbor. We’ve sort of bonded these past couple of days since my return from the States.”

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, Yerin-unnie,” Umji greeted with another respectful bow.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, Umji-ssi,” Yerin returned with a warm smile. “I see you just got out of the library. Catching up with your studies?”

 

“Actually, I was tutoring Sowon-unnie for her English class,” Umji answered.

 

“Wait a second,” Yerin objected, turning to look at her best friend, “SinB-ah, I’m disappointed in you. Shouldn’t you be the one tutoring your girlfriend?”

 

SinB involuntarily cringed. Judging from the quizzical expressions from Yerin and Umji, SinB knew she put zero effort in trying to hide her discomfort. “Uh… Sowon-ssi and I aren’t really at that stage yet. Addressing one another as girlfriends,” she clarified.

 

“Oh!” Yerin shrieked, eyes wide and mouth opened. “Mianhae, SinB-ah. I guess I’ve been drawing conclusions way too much lately.”

 

“It’s okay, Yerin-ah,” SinB reassured her best friend with a playful pinch at the older girl’s stomach. She glimpsed over at Umji who stood shyly in front of the long-time friends. “Umji-ya, do you want to walk with us?”

 

“Sure, Unnie,” Umji replied, cheeks rising as she smiled.

 

Side by side by side, the trio made their way out of the school gates and into the streets of town. SinB situated herself in the middle between Yerin and Umji. She figured it was the best setup to relieve some of the awkwardness. To her dismay, the three of them remained awfully quiet.

 

So this is what it’s like when my two worlds collide, SinB thought, eyes darting from Yerin who was fixated on the flowers to Umji who looked down at the ground as she held her notebook close to her chest. SinB figured that she had to be the one to break the ice. But, as she opened , Umji began to speak.

 

“Yerin-unnie, do you like horror movies?” the young girl timidly asked.

 

“I prefer not to watch them, Umji-ssi,” Yerin responded regretfully. “I’m too much of scaredy cat.”

 

“I can testify to that,” SinB quipped, earning a half-hearted punch on the arm from Yerin.

 

“That’s okay, Yerin-unnie,” Umji comforted the older girl. “But, between vampires and werewolves, which one is your favorite quintessential monster?”

 

Carrying the bouquet similar to a bride as she walked down the altar, Yerin pursed her lips in thought. “Normally, I would have chosen vampires. I’ve always felt drawn to them.”

 

SinB rolled her eyes at the typical answer.

 

“But,” Yerin continued, plucking out a single dandelion and giving it to the elderly woman passing by her, “I’m definitely leaning more towards werewolves these days.”

 

The scowl on SinB’s face broke out into a pleased grin.



Song lyrics used: “Shimmy Shimmy Quarter Turn” by Hellogoodbye