Ch. 2: The Middle

Ease My Mind

Hey, don't write yourself off yet
It's only in your head you feel left out or looked down on
Just try your best, try everything you can
And don't you worry what they tell themselves when you're away

 

It was lunchtime at Navillera All-Girls High School.

 

SinB was at her locker putting her books away, earphones in to block out the noise of gossip and laughter that usually filled the hallways. After the unceremonious werewolf transformation yesterday afternoon, she decided it was best to listen to her music in between class sessions as a safety mechanism of sorts.

 

During her time in the United States, SinB was introduced to a variety of bands and artists by her American friends which redefined her taste in music. Now, that doesn’t mean SinB wouldn’t jump at the chance of going to a Big Bang concert. But, there was something about the heavy guitar riffs, the wild cymbal crashing of the drums, and the typically gruff vocals that made SinB feel oddly at peace.

 

Reaching for her lunch bag, SinB paused when she felt a pair of warm, familiar hands cover her eyes. She yanked on the wire of her earphones, causing the buds to fall out as she awaited the cheerful voice she knew so well.

 

“Guess who?” a pumpkin spice latte of a tone sing-songed into SinB’s ear, tickling the hairs on the back of her neck.

 

“Hey, Yerin-ah,” SinB responded dryly.

 

Yerin freed her hands away from SinB’s eyes prompting the younger girl to turn around to look at her best friend. A bottom lip-quivering pout was plastered on Yerin’s face. SinB arched an unimpressed eyebrow, trying not give into the older girl’s aegyo.

 

“How’d you know it was me?” Yerin asked in a cute manner that made SinB cringe and smile simultaneously.

 

“Yerin-ah, you’ve been greeting me in the same way since we were in training bras,” SinB quipped. “I think you should be more concerned if I were to guess incorrectly.” Patting Yerin’s head, SinB smirked before turning around once again to fetch her lunch bag.

 

“You’re no fun,” SinB heard Yerin’s voice tease, deepening her smirk.

 

It was true that Yerin’s greeting style towards her hasn't changed since they were kids. But, with her newfound werewolf abilities, SinB was able to sense her friend’s oncoming presence from perhaps several yards away. She realized that everyone had their own particular scent. Like a fingerprint, each person’s scent was unique. For instance, her mom’s was reminiscent to honeydew. Her dad’s was strong like coffee. But, Yerin’s was a scent that induced a feeling of comfort and excitement. SinB couldn’t pinpoint an exact smell to compare it to. But, whenever her nose picked up on it, she could feel her heartbeat quicken.

 

Red lunch bag in hand, SinB closed the locker and faced Yerin who smiled at her joyfully. The older girl trepidatiously glanced at the floor before meeting SinB’s eyes again.

 

“So, I was wondering if you wanted to hang at my house after school,” Yerin spoke, tone slightly timid. “Catch up on your adventures in California. I noticed that you weren’t so chatty yesterday after I told you about Yuju…”

 

“It wasn’t because of that,” SinB interrupted reassuringly. “I was just jet lagged, Yerin-ah. Honestly, I’m happy for you two.” SinB clenched her jaw to keep her from grimacing.

 

“And, I’m glad that you’re taking the news better than how I thought you would. But…” Yerin bit the corner of her lip. “...I don’t want to be the type of friend who bails on her best friend just because she’s in a relationship!” She breathed heavily as if a weight was lifted off her chest. Her eyes softened. “I really missed you, SinB-ah. You’re my best friend, and I don’t want things to change between us.”

 

Placing a hand on Yerin’s shoulder, SinB looked into the older girl’s eyes. “Don’t worry, Yerin-ah. I promise you that even if things do change, it’ll all be for the better.” A small smile quirked on Yerin’s lips, causing SinB to smile, as well.

 

As much as SinB wanted to relish in the moment, the image of her werewolf side flashed into her mind. Its red eyes and snarling demeanor that could never be tamed, instantly caused SinB’s mouth to frown. From the concerned expression which now formed on Yerin’s disposition, SinB knew that her friend noticed.

 

Before Yerin could talk, SinB spoke up. “But, uh, I’m going to have to take a rain check on our little hang out. I still have a couple of suitcases to unpack. I should be free tomorrow, though.”

 

“No problem. Whatever works for you,” Yerin replied, her cheerful smile reappearing. She looked down at SinB’s lunch bag and motioned at it. “What did you bring for lunch?”

 

“Kimchi stew. My mom’s trying to get rid of it.”

 

“I brought some kimbap. Let’s share our food like old times.” With a wide grin, Yerin spontaneously hooked her arm with SinB’s and began running towards the direction of the school’s cafeteria.

 

“Yah, Jung Yerin! You’re gonna pull my arm out of its socket,” SinB kidded, a ghost of a smile appearing on her lips as she saw her friend’s pigtails bouncing with every step.

 

Yerin turned her head to check on SinB who threw her a half-hearted glare. The older girl only responded with an exuberant chuckle. It was in that moment when SinB realized how much she missed Yerin’s playful personality and quirky antics. Yerin was more than a best friend to SinB. She was home.

 

Too immersed in the merry atmosphere, SinB failed to notice a mousy, underclassman trying to sidestep and make room for the pair as quickly as her feet could. Unfortunately, the young girl was a tad too late. Her shoulder bumped into SinB’s, sending the notebook she was holding to the ground.

 

Realizing the accidental fumble, SinB and Yerin slowed down their pace to see if the girl was alright. SinB unlatched her arm from Yerin and stooped to the tiled floor to retrieve the student’s belongings. Just before she handed back the notebook, something on the front cover caught SinB’s attention: a small, yet detailed drawing of a wolf’s face. SinB quickly glanced at the ansty, innocent-looking girl before putting on her best apologetic smile.

 

“Sorry about that,” SinB said, relaying the notebook.

 

“Kamsahamnida,” the girl thanked, omitting eye contact with SinB. She took the slightly worn-out, spiral notebook, held it up to her chest, and courteously bowed before hastily walking away.


 

In the cafeteria, Yerin and SinB situated themselves at an empty table off to the side of the bustling eating area. The two settled their food in the middle for easy sharing access. SinB grabbed one of Yerin’s delectable kimbap and popped the round snack into . She was about to comment on how much she missed Korean food, when her eyes caught sight of Yuju walking towards them.

 

Her best friend’s girlfriend pantomimed for SinB to stay quiet as she took off her varsity jacket and draped it over Yerin’s shoulders. Surprised, at first, Yerin looked up behind her and immediately smiled sweetly at Yuju. The charming individual took a seat next to Yerin and greeted her with a kiss on the cheek.

 

“Hey, babe!” Yuju addressed her girlfriend. Yerin’s smile became brighter as she readjusted the jacket so it would fit more snugly around her frame.

 

SinB shuddered inside at how natural her rival was able to call Yerin by such an adoring pet name.

 

Resting an arm on top of the backrest of Yerin’s chair, Yuju glanced at SinB. Smile still intact, she greeted the visibly uncomfortable girl in her most friendly cadence, “Annyeong, SinB-ssi.”

 

“A-annyeong, Yuju-ssi,” SinB returned the acknowledgement, before looking down at the several-days-old kimchi stew.

 

“Thanks for letting me wear your jacket, Yuju-ah,” Yerin spoke, turning her head to give her girlfriend attention. “But, I already received my varsity jacket with my own name embroidered on it.” She playfully tapped on Yuju’s nose.

 

“I’m aware. And, I’m also aware how good it looks on you,” Yuju cunningly praised. “But, I think my jacket looks better. It does have more accomplishment patches, after all.” She smirked,  earning a light elbow to the abdomen from Yerin.

 

Yuju responded with a feathery peck on the cheek before taking her arm away to lean back in her chair. She stared at SinB who mindlessly dragged her spoon around the circumference of the tupperware container, obviously trying to be mindful of the couple’s personal space.

 

“Have you heard, SinB-ssi?” Yuju began. “I won first place for the 100 meter dash at regionals last semester.”

 

“Really? Competition must’ve been slim,” SinB quipped. She felt a little proud when she heard Yerin stifle a giggle.

 

“Glad to see you still have some fire in you, SinB-ssi,” Yuju remarked, clearly unbothered. “I was beginning to worry that you might have lost some edge during your stay in the States.”

 

“Don’t get too comfortable basking in the glory, Yuju-ssi,” SinB replied, using her spoon as a pointer.

 

“Does this mean that you’re going to rejoin the track team, SinB-ah?” Yerin cut in, eyes hopeful. Yuju also had her eyes on SinB, anticipating her answer.

 

SinB suddenly felt small. Carefully placing her spoon back into the stew, she rested her hands on her lap, trying to think of the right response.

 

She did wanted to earn her place in the team again and prove to Yerin, Yuju, and the whole school that her absence didn’t change the fact that she was still a great athlete. But, she couldn’t bring herself to say “Yes”. Not when she knew that having to see more of Yuju and Yerin’s lovey dovey, couple interactions would interfere with her performance along with her ability to control the werewolf which begged to come out.

 

“I’ll think about it,” SinB responded at last.

 

Yerin exhaled her breath and nodded her head in understanding. But, SinB also sensed a hint of  disappointment. Yuju released a breath, as well. Unlike Yerin, Yuju had a wide grin on her face, pleased to know that her rank remained unchanged for the time being.

 

Without warning, the cafeteria doors opened. The room went silent with the appearance of  Principal Park Kahi and a student that SinB did not recognize, but had a strange sense of familiarity.

 

“I’m letting you off with a warning, Miss Kim,” Principal Kahi sternly told the tall student. “But, if I see you loitering in the hallways again, making lewd, suggestive comments to foreign exchange students, then I’m going to have to call your parents. Now, proceed and go eat your lunch.”

 

Hands behind her back, the student merely bowed before sauntering to the unoccupied table at the dark corner of the room. Letting her brown paper bag of a sack lunch drop on the table’s surface, the long-legged girl pulled up her chair and slumped into it.

 

Once Principal Kahi left the area, chatter of rumors and the latest K-pop comebacks steadily increased in volume.

 

“You can change a girl’s face, but you can’t change her attitude,” Yuju spoke, huddling closer to Yerin, so that only the three of them could hear.

 

“Who’s that girl?” SinB asked, eyebrows furrowed as she tried to escape the feeling of deja vu.

 

“Ha!” Yuju chortled. “You really don’t recognize her, do you SinB-ssi?”

 

SinB’s forehead creased even more.

 

Yerin leaned closer to her best friend. “SinB-ah, that’s Kim SoJung,” she answered quietly. “But, she goes by Kim Sowon, now. In the first day of school after summer vacation, she walked into the classroom looking like that and almost made the teacher have a heart attack.”

 

Eyes wide in genuine surprise, SinB was stunned. “That’s Kim SoJung?! She’s Kim SoJung?!”

 

“The ugly duckling finally hit puberty,” Yuju sneered, laughing with open. Yerin stuffed a piece of kimbap in her girlfriend’s mouth to calm her down.

 

Amongst Yerin and Yuju’s sickening sweet banter, SinB looked past them to subtly take a better look at “Sowon” who sat several tables away from them. Despite Yuju’s crude comment, it was true that the girl the group has known since elementary school changed a lot more than how SinB could ever anticipate, could ever predict.

 

Kim SoJung, the youngest heir of Deseo Industries. Ever since childhood, she's been made fun of and ridiculed for her appearance. Due to her long, lanky limbs, her body always seemed to be unproportionate. Posture was slouched and feet were pigeon toed. Junior High was an even more torturous year for Sowon when she was forced to get braces, and her face was covered with the unsightly marks of acne. Forever the loner, she kept to herself. The only friends she had were those who only used her to get closer to her sister.

 

Sowon’s older sister by two years was the complete opposite of her. She was undeniably beautiful and had a lovely personality, earning praise and popularity wherever she went. No doubt, people were shocked upon learning of her and Sowon’s relation.

 

SinB and Yerin have always felt sorry for Sowon. And, though, they’ve wanted to defend the poor girl in the past, the comfortability of being a bystander had a tendency to get in the way.

 

Gazing at the girl whose body was now perfectly proportional as a fashion model and whose face was as smooth as velvet, SinB couldn't deny how attractive Sowon had gotten. Her radiant beauty could compete with her older sister’s.

 

SinB knew she was practically staring holes into Sowon. Before she darted her attention away, though, the blossomed batch-mate’s eyes looked up from her lunch and met directly with SinB’s. Her stare was strong and confident; two words which never described Sowon before.

 

Embarrassed, SinB quickly redirected her line of vision to the abandoned, lukewarm kimchi stew that sat between her, Yerin, and Yuju.


 

The school day had come to an end faster than SinB could fathom. Currently walking home, she passed the track field and spotted Yerin and Yuju doing their warm up stretches.

 

Picking up her pace, SinB tried to pretend to not take notice of them. But, she halted in her tracks when she heard Yerin’s vibrant voice call out her name. Facing the couple’s direction, SinB’s lips quirked at the sight of her best friend raising both hands in the air to wave at her. But, her breathing became heavy when she saw Yuju snaking an arm around Yerin’s waist, a sour smile scrawled on her rival’s face.

 

SinB kept her composure calm. Eyes solely staring at Yerin, she gave a friendly smile and a half-hearted wave before walking out of the school’s vicinity.

 

All by her lonesome, SinB stuffed her hands into the pockets of her jacket while casually strolling through the streets. She wanted to listen to her music, but when she checked, her cellphone had only 12% battery life left. Resisting to use it unless there was an emergency, SinB let the sounds of her hometown accompany her travel.

 

As she continued to walk, SinB couldn't help but feel a bit paranoid, like she was secretly being watched.

 

Using her new, keener sense of hearing, SinB muffled out the everyday sounds of the town in search for anything suspicious. It didn't take long for her to pick up on the irregular footsteps of someone trailing behind her. SinB reasoned that whoever the person was, they were making sure to a keep a safe distance from her, in fear of being noticed.

 

Putting her theory to the test, SinB increased her speed and could hear the person practically galloping, trying to stay in line with her. SinB, then, stopped suddenly and pretended to tie her shoe. Concentrating on the particular pair of feet, SinB heard them decelerate as they waited for her to resume walking.

 

She got up, dusted her knees, and decided to play a little trick on the apparent stalker. Nonchalantly resuming her trek, she proceeded forward before pivoting into an empty, narrow alleyway. Using the traction of her shoes, SinB swiftly and stealthily climbed up the side of the three-story building, waiting for the mystery person to arrive.

 

SinB heard the uneasy footsteps carefully treading into the alleyway, certainly confounded to see no one there. Peeking down, SinB’s eyebrows knitted when she perceived the mousy girl from earlier, the girl who she clashed shoulders with in the hallway. Upon further inspection, she realized that the girl was still holding the same notebook with the drawing of a wolf’s grinning face.

 

Figuring the girl didn’t mean any harm, SinB waited for her to turn around before jumping off the rooftop and landing quietly on her feet behind the girl in question.

 

With arms crossed to appear authoritative, SinB cleared . “Are you following me?” she asked bluntly.

 

Startled, the girl quickly spun to face the voice. Her eyes grew twice its size when she realized that she was caught. But, her surprised expression soon turned into an anxious, yet cute smile.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo! Jeoneun Kim Umji-imnida,” the girl gleefully said with a respectful bow. “I'm your neighbor. My family and I moved into the house next to yours while you were away.” Clutching her notebook tighter, Umji shifted the weight on her feet. “I’m sorry I was following you from afar. I was going to introduce myself earlier at school, but I was too nervous.”

 

“It’s fine,” SinB spoke. She let her arms fall to her sides, realizing that the girl wasn’t a threat at all. “I should be the one apologizing for scaring you.”

 

“You only scared me a little bit,” Umji jokingly clarified. “Where were you hiding, anyway?” Standing on her tiptoes, she craned her neck to look over SinB’s shoulder. There wasn’t any object big enough that could actually conceal a full-grown person.

 

“Oh, just behind those trash cans over there,” SinB quickly made up an alibi while stepping in front of the shorter girl to purposefully block her view. “Do you want to walk together, Umji-ssi?” She placed a hand on the Sophomore’s shoulder, a charismatic smile beaming on her face to drive away suspicion.

 

“Sure, SinB-unnie,” Umji replied, allowing the older girl to turn her around and guide her out of the alley way.

 

Walking at a leisurely pace, the pair were mostly quiet. SinB side-eyed Umji and thought about the first impression she probably gave the girl. Wanting to redeem herself, she nudged her schoolmate’s arm in a friendly manner to get her attention.

 

“Hey, that's a cool drawing on your notebook. Did you draw it yourself?” SinB inquired, tone relaxed and easygoing.

 

“My Oppa designed it. I just copied it," Umji responded with a sheepish smile.

 

“Is your Oppa living with you at the house?”

 

“He's in the army, completing his military service.” Umji tightened her hold on the notebook she carried against her chest. She pressed her lips together before speaking. “Actually, SinB-unnie, there’s something I’ve been meaning to ask you about.” Darting her eyes to glance at SinB, the older girl gave a reassuring head nod for Umji to proceed with her question. “Do you have a dog?”

 

SinB’s shoulders stiffened and her face became instantly pale. Relaxing her composure, she glanced at the girl who waited for her answer with round, innocent eyes. “What do you mean, Umji-ssi?”

 

“Well, yesterday afternoon, I was at home when I heard this loud howl coming from your house,” Umji explained. “Did your parents give you dog as a ‘welcome home’ present? Because, it's the first time I ever heard a noise like that since I’ve moved in.”

 

“A howl?” SinB reiterated, feigning ignorance. “Oh, that was my...TV. I was watching a horror movie, and for some reason the volume was all the way up when I turned the TV on. It’s probably due to my Appa. He likes to play pranks on me from time to time.”

 

“Ooo, what horror movie were you watching?” Umji asked, sounding more invested.

 

“Just a movie that I stumbled upon. I didn’t really catch the name,” SinB kept her answers as vague as possible. “But, it was something along the lines of a guy who got bitten by a werewolf.”  

 

Amidst her awkward behavior, SinB realized that the two of them reached their destinations. Sighing subtly, SinB was glad that she was just a stone-covered path away from the front door of her house.

 

“Interesting,” Umji simply replied. “If you want, SinB-ssi, I could lend you a couple of my favorite werewolf movies to watch.”

 

“I might take up on your offer,” SinB said, hoping to counteract Umji’s possible skepticism. “Well, I have a lot of homework to do, and I’m not even finished with unpacking. But, it was nice meeting you, Umji-ssi. I’ll see you, tomorrow.”

 

“It was nice finally getting to meet you, as well, SinB-unnie,” Umji returned the affirmation. “Feel free to visit if you want to a borrow a DVD from my collection.”

 

Beginning to walk away to her own place of abode, Umji stopped and turned around to say one last thing before they both retreated to their separate, private lives.

 

“SinB-unnie,” she called out, garnering her neighbor’s attention. “There’s going to be a full moon tomorrow night. I just thought you might wanted to know.” Not waiting for SinB’s response, Umji gripped her notebook tighter before bowing her head and heading home.



A/N: Hey, everyone! Thank you so much for the love and support that you all have been giving this fic with just the first chapter alone. I was a bit hesistant with starting a new fic, but I'm really happy that you all seem to like the plot, thus far. I promise you that the story is only going to get more and more interesting with each update. So, stay tuned and please continue to enjoy! ^^

Song lyrics used: “The Middle” by Jimmy Eat World