Ch. 18: Revenge Is Sweeter [Than You Ever Were]

Ease My Mind

A/N: Hey, everyone! I apologize for another late update. School recently started and I’m already drowning in homework and quiz preparations. It’s my fourth year in college, so things are a bit more hectic. I still want to make the effort in writing and updating this fic, though. The story is only going to get wilder and wilder, so please be patient in the days ahead.

 

Again, I have nothing but gratitude to everyone who has subscribed, commented, and gave an upvote for this fic. It’s really unbelievable, and I hope you guys know that your support is what fuels me to keep writing :)

 

Without further ado…



 

After Sowon had finished crying to the point where she felt like she deserved a punch to the face for letting her emotional guard down, the trio left campus and went to a nearby convenience store. Sowon offered to buy Umji anything her heart desired, which turned out to be a large tub of Chunky Monkey ice cream. The Sophomore, then, invited the two werewolves to her house to share the frozen treat. With all the misfortunes that happened that day, there was no way they could decline something as good as ice cream.

 

As the trio passed by her house to go to Umji’s, SinB noticed that her dad’s car was no longer parked in the driveway. Neither could she trace her Umma’s scent. It was possible that her Appa went back to work and that her mom took a trip to the supermarket. But, it was strange seeing her house so empty as if no one had inhabited the place for years. Though she had lived in the same place since she was a baby, it had been awhile since the two-story structure felt like home.

 

Umji’s house, though, was a whole different scenario. Traipsing through the front door and into the living room, the atmosphere was far more warmer and welcoming. Walls were painted a pastel blue, natural sunlight illuminated the entire room through yellow drapes, and the brown leather sofa was deflated and worn out from years of a family bonding and sharing conversations on it together. It felt so perfect until SinB came across a framed photo of Umji with her brother and parents. Next to it was a gold medal, honoring the brother’s services. SinB’s envy was replaced with grief for her young friend.

 

Entering the kitchen, Umji told SinB and Sowon to take a seat at the dining table as she proceeded to get spoons and bowls for the three of them.

 

“Are your parents home, Umji-ya?” SinB asked, sitting in the chair opposite of Sowon.

 

“They’re at work,” Umji responded, walking over to the table and handing everyone their own utensils. “They both hold occupations at the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art. My Umma is a curator, and my Appa is a sculpture conservator. I don’t usually see them until night, but they always make it home before dinner.”

 

“They’re both experts in art?” Sowon asked, in which Umji answered with a nod of the head. “Well, that explains why you possess top notch drawing skills.”

 

“I remember knowing how to draw before I even learned the alphabet,” Umji commented, pulling up a chair at the head of the table. “But, my Oppa was a much more talented of an artist than I am. He could easily project his thoughts and ideas onto paper. I always need some kind of visual aid.” She peeled off the ice cream lid and motioned for SinB and Sowon to dig in.

 

Shoveling her spoon into the semi-melted banana, fudge, and walnut concoction, SinB placed the scoop into her bowl before taking a small bite of it. Her eyes widened, pleasantly surprised with the mixture of flavors and textures. She directed her gaze to Umji, giving her a thumbs up in approval.

 

“Overreacting much, Wolfpup?” Sowon teased. She placed a sample size of ice cream in and was immediately taken aback. “Omo… this tastes like heaven.”

 

Umji giggled. “I knew you Unnies would like it.” She stared down into her bowl, mind too occupied to enjoy her favorite ice cream to the fullest. Setting her spoon down, Umji pressed her lips together in thought. “SinB-unnie. Sowon-unnie. Mianhae for not telling the truth sooner.”

 

“No need to apologize, Pipsqueak,” Sowon assured, cadance slightly more nurturing than usual.

 

“I’m sure Sowon-ssi and I would have understood either way,” SinB added.

 

“Gomawo,” Umji shyly thanked. “My Oppa meant a lot to me. Still means a lot to me. He was the only one who shared my interest in all things supernatural and science-fiction. He encouraged me to stay true to myself, no matter what others may think. Last year, when I learned that he died, I became extremely depressed and unable to function. There would be times when I pass by his room and just combust in tears. Even at school, I would start crying at the mere thought of him and the realization that we’ll never be able to watch Train to Busan together or have another debate over which Dracula’s the best.” She swirled the melted chocolate bits in the pool of banana ice cream that was no longer chilled.

 

“My parents thought it was best for me if we moved and start anew,” Umji continued, glancing at Sowon and SinB who sat and listened attentively. “But, when those girls started picking on me, I knew that things weren’t going to change. The more that people saw me as an outsider, as a ‘freak,’ the more I recoiled. I became invested in my notebook, drawing and writing things and imagining what my Oppa would say. It always comforted me. But, to now know that these creatures I fantasize about aren’t just make believe and to actually befriend two werewolves, I feel like I finally belong for the first time.”

 

A warm, small smile quirked on the corners of SinB’s lips. She subtly glanced at Sowon who was equally touched by the young girl’s sentimental words, but quickly hid it with a neutral expression.

 

Laying her spoon down and clearing , SinB looked at the girl whose head was bashfully bowed. “We care about you, Umji-ya,” she said with the deepest sincerity. “You don’t have to face your problems alone anymore.”

 

“Wolfpup is right,” Sowon spoke. “You might not be a werewolf, Pipsqueak. But as of today, you’re an honorary werewolf ally in my book.” She smiled, sending a heart-palpitating wink to Umji before consuming another dollop of ice cream.

 

Umji blushed. Partly because of the playful, borderline flirty, wink. But, mainly because of the subtle nudge of her leg that came from Sowon’s foot underneath the table.

 

“Better hurry up and eat before it turns into ice cream soup, Pipsqueak,” Sowon joked.

 

Little did the older girl know that Umji’s heart had already melted.


 

The next day, SinB suffered through another polarizing school session. Students would either pretend like she was invisible or had enough guts to show how much they despise her through menacing glares and backhanded comments. SinB did the best she could to not let it bother her, walking through the hallways like a zombie with her head hung low and her earphones in.

 

Unlike yesterday, Yerin didn’t try to communicate with her, and SinB made sure to avoid the other girl at all costs. She spent her lunch break at the library with Sowon again. The Beta werewolf, though, was much too occupied on her phone to produce a snarky exchange with SinB. It was a bit out of the ordinary, but SinB’s suspicions were tossed to the side when she remembered that she had a Physics quiz to study for.

 

When the school day was dismissed, SinB was hoping to walk home with Umji or catch up on a quick training session at Sowon’s ranch. But, both friends were too busy with personal matters. Umji wanted to get started on her book report, and Sowon had to attend a soirée her parents were hosting. To her surprise, SinB’s late afternoon was also pre-scheduled without her knowing.

 

In an attempt to convince his daughter to live with him, Mr. Hwang offered SinB to spend dinner over at his condo. SinB knew that her dad’s girlfriend would also be present. Though she would rather starve for a night, SinB decided that she should, at least, be polite and meet the woman who stole her dad’s heart and bestowed an incredible amount of suffering on her Umma.

 

SinB was ready to become the worst guest ever in hopes of embarrassing her dad. The plan backfired when she found herself doing the exact opposite upon formally meeting his significant other. The woman, Lee Hyori, turned out to be sweet, witty, and charming. SinB did try to play the bitter card in the beginning, giving both her dad and Hyori the cold shoulder. But, as the night progressed, Hyori was able to tap into a personal hobby of SinB’s: dancing. It turns out that Hyori used to be a choreographer and backup dancer to some of Korea’s most respected singers in the industry.

 

Growing up, there was no doubt that SinB exceeded in dancing, specifically hip hop style. Although she became more invested in track as she got older, her gift as an incredible dancer still prevailed in every party or wedding reception she has attended.

 

Soon, SinB and Hyori pretty much bonded over their common interest. But, despite the laughs they shared and Hyori’s behind-the-scenes stories about the various people she worked with, a strange, unexplainable thud in SinB’s heartbeat occurred every now and then.

 

Her first reasoning was that she felt ashamed since this was the woman she was suppose to hate and despise for coming between her father and mother’s marriage. But, during the drive back home, SinB glanced at her Appa and realized how happy he was to know that she approved of his girlfriend. How she approved of his new life. And, this triggered something in the back of her psyche.

 

Was she a mistake? Was her existence the cause of her parents having to suffer years of dislike and disinterest towards each other? All this time, her Appa could be living in bliss with Hyori, while her Umma could have bumped grocery carts with her own Duckie. But, they couldn’t. Because she was in the way. It was a dark thought. Even though SinB tried to convince herself that it was nonsense, the depressing notion kept coming back like a boomerang.

 

Parking at the curb of the house with a ‘For Sale’ sign plunged into the lawn of the front yard, Mr. Hwang turned to look at his daughter with a beaming smile.

 

“I hope meeting Hyori changed your perspective on the whole living situation, Eunbi-ya,” he spoke. “It’s clear that Hyori adores you, and I can tell that you’re softening up to her.” He drummed his fingers on the steering wheel, easing his nerves. “Maybe, it’s best if you stayed with me instead of your mother.”

 

SinB inhaled her dad’s special scent of unsweetened coffee and exhaled. “You’re right Appa. Meeting Lee Hyori does changes things. But, I still want to live my Umma. No offense,” she quickly added when she saw the corner of her dad’s lips slowly regress.

 

He nodded. “Perhaps, you could try living at the condo for a week, Eunbi-ya. You could have your own bedroom and have a meal with Hyori and me around the dinner table like a real family. I just worry that staying with your mother might harm your potential of becoming the wonderful, young lady you were put in this world to be.”

 

Another thud erupted in SinB’s heart. She stared at her dad with furrowed brows. “Are you sure that’s my destiny, Appa? Or, are you only saying that to make me feel guilty about wanting to be my Umma who you cheated on in the first place?” Her voice rose as a sudden pang reverberated throughout her chest. “I’m not something you can manipulate for your own benefit. I am your daughter. And, I was heartbroken to know that my own dad, who I trusted, went behind my back and my Umma’s back and led a separate life.”

 

SinB blinked and felt a tear roll down her cheek. She glanced at her childhood home before returning her line of vision to her dad sitting motionlessly. “Appa, I’m glad that you found your happiness in Lee Hyori,” SinB spoke, tone a little more gentle. “But, I can’t just let you interfere with my decision so that you can complete your ‘perfect’ lifestyle.” Clinging onto the car door handle, SinB recomposed herself before saying one last sentiment. “Goodnight, Appa.”

 

Stricken with contrition, Mr. Hwang released a long breath. “Goodnight, Eunbi-ya,” he replied solemnly.

 

Retreating out of the car, SinB waited by the gate as she watched her dad drive away. She knew that her Appa was probably just looking out for her well-being. But, every time she thought about his infidelity, she couldn’t help but associate it with Yuju passionately kissing another girl one night only to act innocent the next day. It ticked her off. From her heart that was manically beating in her chest to the flash of pain in her eyes, SinB knew what was bound to happen next.

 

Arms and legs pumping through the cold, night air, SinB ran all the way to Navillera High. It had been awhile since she last shifted into a werewolf. She came close on Tuesday after apologizing to Yuju. And, she almost lost control again on the same day during her drunken stupor when Sowon revealed that she knew about the star student’s lying, cheating behavior. Now, here was her dad persuading her to practically neglect her mother. SinB had enough, and so did her inner werewolf.

 

Climbing over the fence with the agility of a parkour expert, SinB continued to sprint to the bushes residing by the track field. She hurriedly shed off her clothes as if they were on fire. Crouching down on all fours, SinB squeezed her eyes shut and concentrated until she felt her brain pulsate wildly. Screaming in agony, every bone in her body began reconstructing into the Alpha werewolf that ruined her chances of fulfilling the “destiny” her dad foretold.

 

Once she knew the torturous transformation process was finished, SinB’s eyelids snapped opened. She stared down at her monstrous paws. The same paws that belonged to the same girl who brutally attacked Yuju, inflicting a never ending cycle of misery. Angry, SinB lept over the bushes and made her way to the bleachers, climbing all the way to the top. She basked in the glow of the crescent moon that shined above before raising her head to howl.

 

*ARH-WOOOOOO*

 

The loneliness. The pain. The grief. Unleashed into the world.

 

SinB hoped that someone, anyone, would hear that howl and have pity on the crier.

 

With a bow of the head, SinB bid adieu to the luminous moon. She swiftly trotted down the steps, ready to shift back into her human form. Her mind was a little more clearer and her heart no longer felt like it was going to explode. Her conscience remained a bit muddled from telling off her dad earlier, but that was expected.

 

Jumping off the last step, SinB’s ears suddenly perked up at the sound of a bush rustling. She flicked her head to the direction of the noise and realized that it was emitting from the same spot where her clothes were discarded. In a state of bewilderment and panic, SinB ran closer. The leaves of the bush began to shake violently and the ruckus became louder with screeches and growls. Brows scrunched, SinB prepared her hind legs to jump and pounce at whatever hid behind the mass of foliage. But, as SinB hurdled over the bushes and landed inside, the mystery creature had already fled out.

 

SinB hurriedly popped her head out from above. Though trying to maintain a sense of fearlessness, her eyes dilated at the sight of another werewolf just a couple of meters away. Unlike her and Sowon, this werewolf had brown, chestnut fur and its eyes gleamed like a honey topaz gemstone. Clenched between its jaw, the unknown werewolf carried what appeared to be a small, dead animal. Opening its mouth, the brown, supernatural creature dropped their late night snack to the ground before turning around and darting to a shadowy corner of the field. Thus, disappearing in sight.

 

Trying to process what happened, SinB, still in her werewolf form, stepped through the bushes and made her way to where the poor, disfigured animal laid. Her eyes soon widened.

 

There, lifelessly before her, was a deceased cat.


 

After an exchange of sympathetic smiles and words of encouragement, SinB and Umji departed to their own lockers that Friday afternoon. As Umji opened and scanned through the contents of her locker, a sharp pang of emptiness overcame her when she looked down and realized that she was bare of her trusted notebook for the second day in a row.

 

Yesterday, upon entering her literature class, Umji accidentally exchanged glances with the leader of the group of girls who purposefully destroyed her notebook. Not a trace of guilt were in the leader’s eyes or any of the girls, for that matter. To prevent herself from crying, Umji immediately went to her desk at the front of the classroom. She ped her backpack, retrieving a pencil and a binder she kept her assignments in. When she opened her binder, though, a sheet of notebook paper slid to the floor.

 

Picking it up to see what it contained, Umji’s eyes immediately brightened. It was her Beauty and the Beast inspired drawing of Sowon. Out of all the pages that were ripped and dirtied, trampled and ruined, this one managed to make it out alive. Whether it was because of some strange coincidence or a heaven-sent miracle, the reason didn’t really mattered to Umji. In that moment, she was just thankful that the particular piece of art remained unsoiled.

 

“Hey, Pipsqueak.”

 

Startled by Sowon’s voice, Umji sniffed back her unfallen tears as she quickly got the necessarily supplies for her first class.

 

“How’s your morning so far?” Sowon asked, coolly leaning an arm on the locker next to Umji’s.

 

Tucking a stray hair behind her ear, Umji turned her head upward to look at the taller girl. “It’s okay, Unnie,” she replied casually.

 

“Well, prepare for the rest of your day to get better,” Sowon began, a grin teasing on her lips. “Those you girls who have been bothering you? You won’t be seeing them around campus for a while,” she cryptically announced.

 

“I don’t understand,” Umji replied, shaking her head from side to side.

 

“Yesterday, I overheard the tyrannical leader talking to another member about their little camping trip for that night. The location just so happened to be nearby the ranch. So, I contacted some close connections, ditched my family’s party early, and paid the group a visit. I didn’t get to formally introduce myself, though. But, the girls were well-acquainted with a forest friend of mine, Mr. Pepé Le Pew,” Sowon divulged, alluding to the skunk cartoon character from Looney Tunes.

 

“I’m pretty sure skunks aren’t found in South Korea. Or, in Asia for that matter,” Umji refuted, eyebrows knitted.

 

“They do now,” Sowon responded with a smug smile. “Just wanted to give them a taste of their own medicine. Literally.”

 

Umji giggled half-heartedly, impressed by the older girl’s vengeful scheme. From what she remembered reading in a zoology book when she was younger, the odor of skunk spray can last up to one to two weeks. The next several school days were going to be bliss with the absence of the mean, popular clique. In spite of that, a sense of melancholy still prevailed within Umji. She grabbed the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde book she borrowed from Sowon before closing her locker.

 

Sowon stood up straight, pressing her lips together in worry as she noticed how quickly the younger girl’s smile surrendered to a frown. Clearing , she spoke a little more energized. “Anyway, other than that, I just wanted to tell you that I got my English test back yesterday. I aced it! I was so proud that I even displayed it on the refrigerator for my parents to see… once they come back from their trip to England.”

 

“Didn’t your parents just hosted a party last night?” Umji questioned, confused.

 

“They did. But, they left on their flight right afterwards,” Sowon justified, eyes staring aimlessly at the floor. “My Unnie is studying in London, so they’re probably visiting her. If they barely had the time to say goodbye to me, then they most likely didn’t have the time to take a look at the fridge.” She retraced her line of vision back to Umji and forced out a smile.

 

“Well, I’m happy for you, Sowon-unnie,” Umji replied, giving her a thumb’s up. “Congratulations! I knew you could do it.”

 

“The credit goes all to you, Pipsqueak. And, as a token of my appreciation, I want to give you this.” Reaching her hand into the interior pocket of her jacket, Sowon took it out to reveal a royal blue, leather bound journal. “It’s a Moleskine notebook,” she said, relaying it to Umji who cautiously accepted it. “Ridiculously expensive, but guaranteed to last the test of time and satisfy all your creative needs.”

 

The younger girl remained silent, eyes glued to the simple, yet sophisticated notebook in her hands.

 

Growing apprehensive, Sowon shifted her weight from one foot to the other. “I know that nothing can replace your old one. But, I figured that starting a new notebook might not be so bad, especially when many zany adventures await as werewolf ally.”

 

Umji looked up at Sowon, cheeks lifting up into a blossoming smile. “It’s wonderful. Kamsahamnida, Unnie.”

 

Elevating on her tiptoes, Umji placed her arms around the neck of the taller girl in an appreciative hug. Sowon’s body stiffened, never really comfortable with sudden displays of affection. But, it didn’t take her long to adjust to the younger girl’s warm embrace as her arms made their way around Umji’s waist. They stood there, their difference in height apparent, but cute nonetheless.

 

*BUUZZZZZ*

 

Shocked and surprised by the sudden vibration that emitted between one another’s waist, the two hastily pulled away from each other.

 

“What was that?” Sowon yelped, clueless that her cheeks were currently blushing.

 

Umji dug her hand into the pocket of her school uniform, retrieving the item that caused such a frenzy. “It’s my phone,” she replied with a sheepish smile. “I went back to the repair shop after working on my essay yesterday, and they were able to fix it.” Pocketing her phone away, Umji timidly glanced at a slightly frazzled Sowon. “Unnie, can I ask you for a favor?” The older girl appeared suspicious, but nodded “yes” in response. “Do you think you can write a pass for me to be excused from class during your lunch break?”

 

“And, what’s the occasion for?” Sowon asked, though she already had an inkling of what the reason may be.

 

“I want to show Yerin-unnie the video,” Umji revealed as confidently as she could. “I figured that it’s best to show it in a public area so that the Senior class will get to know the truth. From there, the news is bound to spread like wildfire across the school. There’s not a chance that Yuju-unnie can lie her way out of it.”

 

Sowon stubbornly crossed her arms, clearly against the idea. “I don’t think neither of us should interfere with drama, Pipsqueak. Yerin is bound to learn the truth about Yuju sooner or later. Until then, it’s not your, my, or even Wolfpup’s responsibility. Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be.”

 

“You asked my what my desire was a couple of days ago, Unnie,” Umji retorted, not backing down from the dispute. “Here’s my real answer. My desire is to see the people I care about happy. That frown on SinB-unnie’s face has been bothering me all week, more so than what happened to my notebook. I don’t want her or you to suffer from regret. The truth needs to be known, and I will gladly be the catalyst for that to happen sooner.”

 

Staring up at the ceiling for some divine intervention, Sowon loudly sighed in exasperation when she knew which side had the stronger argument. “Fine. I’ll write a pass,” she dryly agreed, causing the younger girl’s eyes to brighten like a field of daisies on a Spring day. Sowon bit on the inside of her cheek to keep her lips from grinning like a lovesick fool. Composed, she took a step closer to Umji, their faces just a few centimeters apart. “But,” she whispered in a low tone, “that’s only because I want to see the star student’s heart get shattered.”


 

As the lunch bell rang and her classmates began to excitedly clear out, SinB stayed in her seat, slowly putting her things away until she remained as the last student in the room. Standing up, SinB slung her backpack over her shoulder, sluggishly moving towards the exit. She heard her teacher clear his throat in a gruff, exaggerated manner. SinB knew that this was his way of telling her to walk faster so that he could get out and go to lunch, as well. She abided, picking up her pace and leaving through the door, en route to her locker.

 

After exchanging her textbooks for her sad excuse of a lunch, SinB started to head for the staircase. Like the day before, she figured she could catch up on some studying in the library. Improving her grades became her priority. But, the goal seemed increasingly unachievable when thoughts of Yerin continued to pop up across her mind. It was unhealthy, but had no control over it. She missed her ex-best friend’s quirky behavior, lingering hugs, and, most especially, her eye smile. Gosh, did SinB pine to see Yerin’s face light up and eyes shape into crescents whenever she smiled genuinely.

 

Though SinB is forbidden to communicate with Yerin in any possible way, she somehow managed to sense a difference in the older girl’s aura these days. She was unsure as to why and how. But, it sort of reminded her of what Sowon described when Umji was in a state of utter turmoil a few days ago. It was like an unshakeable feeling. An instinct. An intuition that Yerin was hiding a great amount of sadness behind her cheerful disposition.

 

Lost in her thoughts, SinB looked up and was surprised to see Sowon standing in the middle of the hall, perhaps waiting for her.

 

“Sowon-ssi?” SinB addressed the girl who towered above the majority of students. “I thought you would already be in the library by now.”

 

“Needed a change of scenery,” the Beta werewolf simply replied. “It’s been some time since the both of us actually spent lunch in the cafeteria. You have enough courage to mingle amongst the other mammals today, Wolfpup?”

 

Scrunching her forehead, SinB looked at Sowon in disbelief. “You know perfectly well that I’m dead meat if Yuju catches me even accidently looking over at their table. No thanks, Sowon-ssi. I rather spend the rest of my Senior year shunned from everyone at school than risk anything.”

 

“Trust me, Wolfpup. You won’t have to worry about turning into stone at the sight of Med-jusa and Yerin any longer. Pipsqueak has a plan up her sleeve.” Sowon noticed SinB’s demeanor become even more confused than before. “Her phone is repaired,” Sowon elaborated. “She wants to show the video to Yerin during our lunch. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s already in the cafeteria right now.”

 

SinB’s eyes enlarged. Without a second thought, she power walked her way through the still crowded hall, vying to get to the cafeteria. She didn’t want Umji to get caught up in the crossfire between her and Yuju. The Sophomore was far too smart and talented to potentially be expelled if Yuju were to find out about the cold, hard evidence that was captured on Umji’s phone.

 

Stopping by the doors of the lunch room, SinB scoped out the area first to make sure if Umji really decided to go forward with her plan. The Alpha wolf inhaled deeply through her nose, the scent of daisies tickling her nostrils. But, there was another well-known scent that lingered close by. Yerin was also inside the cafeteria. Another quick sniff confirmed that Yuju had yet to enter the premises. Marginally relieved, SinB put up the hoodie of her black sweater over her head, opened the door, and followed Umji’s daisy fragrance with Sowon trailing behind.

 

The two ended up at one of the many circular tables in the center of the room. What seemed as an attempt to be incognito, Umji had a large, opened textbook standing on the table and her face buried behind it. Sowon pulled up the chair closest to the younger girl, while SinB sat in the position where her back faced away from the table that Yerin and Yuju typically occupied.

 

“Nice disguise you got there, Pipsqueak,” Sowon mused, breathing out a light chuckle.

 

SinB, though, was much more tensed and serious as she stared into her neighbor’s doey eyes that peeked from the top of the book. “Umji-ya, I appreciate that you’re doing this for me. But, please, do not show the video.”

 

“I have to, Unnie,” Umji responded, laying the book flat on the table. “The more depress you become, the more satisfaction Yuju-unnie receives. Where’s the justice in that?”

 

SinB shook her head slightly. “You don’t have to worry about me, Umji-ya. I’ll be fine. What I’m worried about is you. If Yuju finds out that you were the who showed the video, then who knows what she’ll threaten you with. I can’t let that happen.”

 

“Yuju-unnie can do whatever she wants to me,” Umji said calmly. “It doesn’t change the fact that she cheated on Yerin-unnie and fooled everyone to believe that she’s faultless.”

 

Stretching her neck sideways, Umji took a quick glance at Yerin who was removing plastic containers out of her lunchbox. More and more students entered the lunchroom, causing her anxiety to rise tenfold. But, as Umji looked back at SinB whose eyes appeared as if they had been overflowed with tears each night all week, the young girl knew what she needed to do.

 

Umji stood up with her head held high. “Besides, SinB-unnie,” she continued, “I’m your friend. Exacting revenge on those who hurt you is what friends do.” Exchanging a wink and a smirk with an impressed Sowon, Umji set her sight on Yerin as she marched to the table.

 

“You gotta hand it to her,” Sowon spoke. “Pipsqueak has guts.”

 

“Let’s hope Yuju lets her keep them,” SinB replied worriedly, fighting the urge to turn around and watch the event unfold.

 

Sowon’s facial expression darkened, lips taut and eyes cold. “Have a little faith, Wolfpup. But, if Yuju tries anything…,” she said, pressing her lips together, not even wanting to think about it, “....then I’ll make sure to take the blame.”

 

Mouth agaped as if wanting to object, SinB closed it and nodded in understanding. Sowon crossed her arms and leaned back into her chair like she was watching a movie. SinB continued to avoid looking in the direction of Yerin just in case Yuju suddenly appeared. She knew her younger self would ridicule her to learn that she now feared Yuju. Her younger self would probably also think that being a werewolf is cool and that falling in love with your bestfriend is impossible. But, previous opinions are bound to change with age. Eyes staring at the cafeteria floor, SinB listened closely into the conversation.

 

“Annyeong, Yerin-unnie,” Umji, standing in front of the older girl, greeted.

 

“Umji-ssi?” Yerin acknowledged, slightly surprised. “What are you doing here? Did Principal Kahi allow you to skip two grades and become a Senior?” she kidded with a small laugh.

 

“No, Yerin-unnie,” Umji replied hesitantly. “I know that you’re mad at SinB-unnie for what happened with Yuju-unnie, but there’s something I think you should see.” Reaching into her pocket, Umji brought out her phone. She tapped at the touchscreen, brought up the video, and pressed play before handing it to Yerin.

 

With a perplexed expression, Yerin stood up to accept the phone. Squinting her eyes to focus on the figures amongst the dark, shadowy background of the video, Yerin’s apprehension grew when she realized that the “figures” were kissing. “Wh-why are you showing me this, Umji-ssi?” Yerin asked, unaware of the two people’s identities. “Who’s the coupl…?” She stopped herself, or more so she lost her ability to speak when the camera zoomed in closer on the recognizable face of one of the girls.

 

“It’s Yuju,” Umji solemnly and quietly answered. “SinB-unnie and I were there that night. Across from the alley of Contrail. SinB-unnie wanted to tell you, but…”

 

“SURPRISE HUG!” Yuju barged in without warning, enveloping Yerin in a back hug. Just when she was about to give the habitual peck on the cheek, Yerin immediately pushed herself out of Yuju’s arms.

 

“Don’t touch me!” Yerin yelled, causing the rest of the cafeteria to deafen with silence. With Umji’s phone still in her hand, Yerin replayed the video and shoved it in front of Yuju’s face. “Is this you?! Kissing another girl?!” Her voice grew louder as her entire body trembled.

 

I saw it in the news

You told me they were wrong

And I stood up for you

'Cause I believed you were the one

 

“Yerin-ah,” Yuju spoke softly, not wanting to anger Yerin even more, “I can-”

 

“I don’t want to hear your lies,” Yerin briskly cut Yuju off. “How could you? I trusted you, and you cheated on me.” She sniffed, laying the phone down on the table. “What’s worse is that I actually picked you over my best friend.” Wiping her tear-streaked cheeks with the sleeve of her school uniform, Yerin shook her head. “It’s over, Yuju. We’re through as a couple.”

 

You had all the chances in the world

To let me know the truth

What the hell's wrong with you?

 

Unwilling to look at Yuju any longer, Yerin stormed out of the cafeteria sobbing. Students in the lunchroom began to collectively whisper while staring at a frozen, speechless Yuju. Soon, the chatter became louder and louder as everyone started to speculate.

 

“Omo! Yuju cheated on Yerin.”

 

“Do you think that’s the reason why SinB punched Yuju in the first place?”

 

“They were such a cute couple. Why would Yuju do such a thing?”

 

“Honestly, I always had a feeling that SinB liked Yerin as more than a friend.”

 

“Yuju is the real person to blame. That two-face bastard.”

 

With all the negative attention focused on her, Yuju cowardly rushed out the door. SinB turned around and slowly rose from her seat. An ache enraptured her heart, and she could hear Yerin crying as if she was right beside her. SinB needed to see Yerin. Though there was no way knowing if Yuju’s terms still applied, SinB figured that some promises were meant to be broken. Hurriedly, she darted out the cafeteria doors amongst the clamour of her peers and protests of Sowon and Umji. Running through the hall, SinB halted in her tracks and hid by a doorway as she came across Yerin rummaging through her locker and Yuju trying to get her attention.

 

“Yerin-ah, please look at me,” Yuju begged, trying to keep a respectful distance but yearning to be closer. “What I did was foolish, stupid, and pathetic. And, I regret ever kissing that girl. Please, Yerin-ah. I need you.”

 

“Oh, sure,” Yerin scoffed, back turned away as she was searching for something. “You looked like you really needed me when pressed your body closer to that girl and shoved your tongue down .” Pivoting on her heels, Yerin faced Yuju, demeanor stone cold serious and hands hidden behind her back. “Do not talk to me ever again.”

 

Are you even listening when I talk to you?

Do you even care what I'm going through?

Your eyes stare and they're staring right through me

You're right there but it's like you never knew me

 

Yerin brought her hands forward to reveal a homemade card with a picture of her and Yuju during one of their dates glued on the front. As Yuju’s expression began to lighten, Yerin emotionlessly ripped the card in half over and over until it was confetti. The no longer meaningful pieces bunched in her hands, she threw them directly at her ex. “Happy five month anniversary, jerk,” she sneered before leaving down the stairs.

 

Do you even know how much it hurt,

That you gave up on me to be with her?

Revenge is sweeter than you ever were

 

Too concentrated on the event, a sudden burst of daisies and scorched roses invaded SinB’s olfactory senses. She looked over her shoulder and saw Umji and Sowon, who probably also watched along, standing behind her in a totem pole manner. One by one, they each retreated from their hiding place and walked closer to a ragged Yuju. The weary girl looked up from her heartbroken trance and gazed at the trio. Taking notice of the phone in Umji’s hand, Yuju stared at the young girl with an increasing rage.

 

Eyes fuming, Yuju stomped towards Umji. “You little-”

 

“Lay a finger on her and a bruised cheek will be the least of your worries,” Sowon interrupted, stepping in front of Umji and looking at Yuju directly in the eye.

 

Breathing heavily to control her anger, Yuju clenched her jaw and directed a threatening stare at SinB before running away in a huff. With Yuju gone, SinB’s previously erratic heart rate slowed down back to normal.

 

“Let’s get our things and go to the library,” Sowon suggested somberly alongside Umji. Glancing at SinB, she noticed the werewolf-in-training staring absently minded at the floor. “You wanna tag along with us, Wolfpup?” she asked out of consideration.

 

“Yeah, just give me a minute,” SinB replied. With her foot, she swept the pieces of the shredded anniversary card into a pile, collected it in her hands, and disposed it into the nearest trash can.

 



Song lyrics used: “Revenge Is Sweeter [Than You Ever Were]” by The Veronicas