Ch. 16: I Know It's Over

Ease My Mind

A/N: Hey, everyone. Another late update once again. The days have been going by so quickly that it’s difficult to find the time to write. But, we shall all persevere.

 

Anyway, thank you to all the people who’ve subscribed, commented, and upvoted this fic. I greatly appreciate it, and I hope that I can publish these chapters more quickly. If guys want, you can follow this story’s feed. Or perhaps, you can follow me on twitter @kktybayside_96. I mainly just retweet stuff, but maybe I can utilize it to give updates on the writing process of the story.



 

Oh Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head

And as I climb into an empty bed

Oh well. Enough said.

 

SinB stared at her alarm clock. 7:00 am. On any average day, she would have gotten out of bed, took a quick shower, eat a quick breakfast, and jetted off to school. Unfortunately, “average” no longer applied to her.

 

I’m a monster, SinB kept repeating to herself in her head yesterday as she and Coach Kwon waited for Principal Kahi’s jurisdiction. At that moment in time, there wasn’t much the Principal could do. The school day was already over and Yuju had been transported to the hospital to get treated. For the time being, SinB’s punishment consisted of a call to her parents and a suspension for an undeterminable amount of time.

 

SinB’s parents were nothing less than appalled to hear that their daughter committed a violent act against another student. Not just any student, but Choi Yuju. The epitome of perfection. The standard that all parents held against their children. Why would anyone want to hurt such a smart, beautiful, and talented person like Yuju? It didn’t make any sense to her parents, to Principal Kahi, to Coach Kwon, to the faculty, and to the majority of students in Navillera High.

 

SinB feared for the day when she had to actually explain her reason for attacking Yuju. What was she going to say? That her werewolf instincts kicked in? That Yuju has been deceiving everyone into believing she’s innocent and faultless? That she’s in love with Yerin and couldn’t stand the fact that her best friend is being cheated on by someone who thinks of her as just a plaything?

 

Before her mom had the ingenious idea to take away her phone privileges, SinB tried contacting Yerin. She knew it was useless. But, with every ring, SinB clutched onto that sliver of hope that her friend would answer. Just a chance to hear Yerin’s voice and maybe even get to reveal her side of the story. Each call lead to nothing but disappointment, though, when the robotic voicemail began to play.

 

Umji had been a good friend. Without a phone meant that SinB was absent of her music. The younger neighbor communicated with the older girl via a remote control helicopter that she would fly into SinB’s bedroom. Enclosed in the cockpit of the helicopter would be a folded note. The first note expressed Umji’s condolences. The second note gave SinB an update on the situation regarding the footage of Yuju and Eunha on her phone. Unfortunately, rice wasn’t enough to fix the phone of its water damage. She’s hoping to get it repaired soon.

 

In the third note, Umji asked if there’s anything she could do to help SinB feel better. A small, appreciative smile quirked on the corner of the young werewolf’s lips. SinB wrote back, requesting for Umji to play some music for her. The volume didn’t have to be loud, just enough for her heightened hearing to detect it. The considerate Sophomore obliged and SinB was soon swept away with the melancholic sounds of The Smiths.

 

Sad veiled bride, please be happy

Handsome groom, give her room

Loud, loutish lover, treat her kindly

Although she needs you more than she loves you

 

“That’s why I think it’s better for Eunbi to stay with me.”

 

SinB’s hearing perked up to the sound of her dad’s voice reverberating from downstairs.

 

“If I remembered correctly, Eunbi chose me to live with instead of you,” her mom rebutted.

 

“She deserves to live in an environment that doesn’t consist of a dysfunctional woman, her spinster aunt, and three crazy dogs. Did you know that the last time we visited your sister’s cooped up apartment, one of her demonic dogs tried to bite me?”

 

“It did? Well, I’ll make sure to give them a treat when Eunbi and I move in. And, what gives you the right to call me ‘dysfunctional?’”

 

SinB grabbed a pillow and smothered it against her face. With her dad spending the night over, there hasn’t been one moment of peace and quiet in the house. Last night, she fell asleep from hearing a pointless argument about how one parent felt entitled to keep the coffee brewer more than the other. And, now, her parents have already gotten themselves in a non-stop bickering mode in the middle of morning.

 

Placing the pillow back under her head, SinB turned to the side and saw Umphant lying next to her. For a moment, she tried to convince herself that everything was a dream. And, when she wakes up, she’ll be back as an eight-year-old. The age when her parents still loved each other, when she thought that romance was “icky”, and when she first truly considered Yerin as her best friend. Her blissful reverie was short lived, though, when she heard a knock on her bedroom door.

 

SinB exhaled in disdain before kicking off her blanket and hopping out of bed. The smell of ripe honeydew indicated that her mom was on the other side. She opened the door, and stared at her mother with puzzled, sleep-deprived eyes.

 

“Eunbi-ya,” her Umma said as she walked into SinB’s room to open the blinds, “clean up and get dressed for school. Principal Kahi called. She set up a meeting to discuss yesterday’s event in greater detail. Your father and I will be present.” Staring at the messy, unmade bed, the woman sighed.  “Along with Yuju’s lawyer.”


 

“Principal Kahi will see you now,” the secretary informed SinB and her parents who were waiting at the front desk of the school’s administration building.

 

SinB stood up and smoothed the skirt and jacket of her uniform before tucking a strand of silver hair behind her ear. All morning, her stomach was twisted in one big knot, anxious as to why lawyers were now caught up in the mix. How seriously injured was Yuju?

 

Leading her parents into the office, SinB first caught a glimpse of Coach Kwon sitting by the left side of Principal Kahi. The beloved Coach looked back at one of her best runners with complete disappointment, making SinB feel one-hundred times worse.

 

On Principal Kahi’s left side sat an attractive, debonaire man dressed in a professional gray business suit that was adorned by a purple and gold tie. As SinB’s parents stepped inside, the man immediately stood up to bow and greet them with a well-mannered smile.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo,” the man spoke, voice slightly deep but charming, nonetheless. “Jeoneun Choi Siwon-imnida, Attorney for the Choi family.”

 

Mr. Hwang and SinB’s mother courteously returned the salutation before taking a seat in front of the trio of officials that held the fate of their daughter’s future.

 

“Now that we’ve all been introduced, shall we begin?” Principal Kahi announced, opening a tan folder. “Hwang Eunbi. You’ve been a member on Navillera’s track team for the past three years. Last semester, you took part in the school’s Study Abroad program. And, your B+ average grades place you in the 3rd rank percentile.” She looked up to stare directly at SinB. “With a record like this, you can get into any decent university in the country. But, I’m afraid yesterday’s misconduct will certainly be a detriment to your chances. I’ve spoken to the head of the school board and an expulsion is definitely being considered for an offense like this.”

 

“An expulsion?” SinB’s mother uttered, eyes wide in shock.

 

“Principal Kahi,” Mr. Hwang spoke, “please reconsider my daughter’s punishment. A several-day suspension is reasonable, but I’m not entirely sure if my daughter’s mistake calls for an expulsion. It’s her last semester of high school. How are we supposed to find another academic institute that will accept her on such a short notice?”

 

“Mr. and Ms. Hwang, I understand your concerns,” Principal Kahi acknowledged, trying to calm them down. “But, as I said, it’s in consideration. We’re under a lot of ethical pressure, and we must evaluate the situation carefully. Which is why I must ask you, Hwang Eunbi, why did you attack Choi Yuju yesterday afternoon?”

 

SinB tensed up. She looked down at her hands that were politely laced together on her lap and could feel her palms begin to sweat. Her mind was spinning as she tried to generate an excuse that wouldn’t immediately get her expelled or make her sound crazy. The silence was deafening and SinB felt like she could have a panic attack right then and there.

 

“Pardon me, Principal Kahi,” Siwon interrupted, “but I think that whatever happened between Miss Eunbi and Miss Yuju should be discussed between the both of them. In fact, this is why I was sent here today to represent Choi Yuju.”

 

SinB’s eyebrows knitted in suspicion. She glanced at Coach Kwon and her parents who also wore the same curious expressions.

 

Straightening his posture, Siwon brought out a handkerchief to clear his throat before putting on his best friendly smile. “When Miss Yuju’s parents heard about the harm that Miss Eunbi put on their daughter, they contacted me. Originally, they wanted me to place a lawsuit against Miss Eunbi with the charge of assault. Last night, though, when I spoke with Miss Yuju to get a statement on her perspective of this matter, she eagerly convinced her parents to drop the charges as long as Miss Eunbi provides her with one thing.”

 

SinB waited in anticipation to hear exactly what this “thing” was that would keep her and her parents from facing even more trouble and misfortune.

 

“All Miss Yuju is asking for is an apology,” Siwon revealed, looking into SinB’s eyes.

 

“And, where is this ‘apology’ going to take place,” Principal Kahi asked, not entirely sold on the proposition.

 

“At the Choi estate,” Siwon answered. “Miss Yuju requests for only the two of them to speak in private, though. But, if she finds the apology to be satisfactory, then all charges will be dropped. And, as a bonus, Miss Yuju has also persuaded her parents into funding more money for the school to ensure that Miss Eunbi will remain a student in Navillera High. Along with Mr. and Mrs. Hwang, Miss Yuju doesn’t want to harm Miss Eunbi’s educational future. Will that be adequate enough to convince the school board, Principal Kahi?”

 

“The school will surely find that contribution to be of the utmost help,” Principal Kahi reasoned, nodding her head.

 

Siwon grinned as he directed his gaze onto SinB and her parents. “What do you say, Miss Eunbi? Your meeting with Miss Yuju can take place as early as today at around 6:30 pm. That should be around the time when Miss Yuju gets out of the hospital after her check up.”

 

SinB glanced around, taking notice of the other people in the room. She knew that everyone was trying to communicate with her telepathically, urging her to say yes to the offer that was filled with nothing but benefits. Still, SinB sensed that Yuju’s consideration for her was a bait-and-switch tactic that came with a price. And, SinB feared what that disadvantage might come to be. Though it felt like making a deal with the devil, SinB couldn’t put her parents under any more distress than they already were.

 

Taking in a breath, SinB exhaled as she met with Siwon’s comforting eyes. “I accept,” she croaked out, surprised of how dry became.

 

“Excellent. So, it’s settled,” Siwon congratulated, reaching over to grab a notepad from his briefcase. “Let me write down the address and phone number of the Choi household. You made the right decision, Miss Eunbi. Hopefully, after you and Miss Yuju talk, whatever differences the both of you had will be resolved. And, with just a simple apology, you’ll be back in school and continuing your studies by no later than tomorrow.”

 

“While I’m glad that Choi Yuju is willing to bargain for your stay, I’m afraid a one-day-suspension won’t be enough to serve as your penalty, Eunbi,” Principal Kahi asserted. She motioned towards Coach Kwon who noticed her cue to speak.

 

Head solemnly bowing down, Coach Kwon stood up from her chair and mustered the courage to look at SinB. “Hwang Eunbi,” she firmly addressed the girl, “from this day on, you are no longer a member of the Navillera High School track team.”


 

At around 5:40 pm, SinB and her dad were on their way to Yuju’s family estate. Since the address was in a different area code from theirs, Mr. Hwang surmised that it was best to get a move on. As luck would have it, though, they found themselves jam packed in traffic.

 

If it wasn’t for the radio, SinB might have already suffocated from the dead silence that filled in her father’s gray BMW. Though Mr. Hwang attempted numerous times to spark up a conversation with her, SinB went the stubborn route. She kept her answers short and her eyes were constantly glued to her phone that her Umma returned to contact them later when she finished apologizing to Yuju.

 

Scanning through her messages and missed calls, SinB hoped to find that Yerin had replied to her. Other than Umji and Sowon, Yerin’s name was nowhere to be found. Sighing deeply, she crossed her arms and turned off her phone before staring out the window at the afternoon rush hour. An old trot tune began to play. Out of the corner of her eye, SinB saw a ghost of a smile appear on her Appa’s face. Soon enough, his fingers were drumming in tempo on the steering wheel as the car moved at a snail’s pace.

 

Bored out of her mind, SinB resorted to looking through the pictures on her phone. One particular photo caught her attention. It was a selfie that she and Yerin took a day before she left for America. SinB could clearly remember the exact moment as if it happened yesterday.

 

After eating dinner at Yerin’s house to celebrate the older girl’s birthday in advance, the two friends went off on their own to the park. The sun shined brightly in the late afternoon. Though the pair didn’t plan on it, they both wore coordinating, silky outfits. But, while SinB’s dress was in midnight black, Yerin’s was sky blue.

 

Once they got to the park, they rested on a bench as they watched kids fooling around on the playground. A gentle summer breeze cooled the air every now and then. As the sun began to set in the horizon, SinB wished that there were more hours in a day. More time to spend with her best friend.

 

“Tomorrow’s the big day,” Yerin said. “Are you excited? Nervous? Nervously excited?”

 

“Nervously excited is the best combination of words to sum up my emotions,” SinB replied, a small smile quirked on her lips.

 

Yerin grinned as she placed an arm around the younger girl. “I’m sure you’re gonna have lots of fun there. But, you better text me as soon as you arrive. I don’t want to spend my actual birthday worrying if something bad happened to your flight.”

 

“I promise I will.” Relaxing her head on the older girl’s shoulder, SinB stared into the orange and purple sky. “Yerin-ah, if you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?”

 

Leaning her head against SinB’s temple, Yerin pursed her lips in thought. “I always kind of wanted to go to Europe. There’s this small country called Slovenia that looks absolutely incredible. Gigantic mountains covered with snow. Turquoise-green rivers. Oh, and they also have one of those milk dispenser vending machines,” she said giddily.

 

“I never understood your fascination for those things.”

 

“It’s a vending machine that dispenses milk. Who wouldn’t be amazed?”

 

SinB discreetly glanced at Yerin who smiled happily like a precious bunny. “I’m going to miss you, Yerin-ah,” she whispered ever so delicately.

 

The older girl sat up to look at her best friend. “The program only lasts for a couple of months. You’ll be back in Korea in no time. And, I’ll be here waiting for your return.”

 

“Can we take one more picture together? In case I get homesick. It’ll be difficult to text you with the time zone difference.”

 

Yerin nodded as SinB retrieved her phone from her purse. Holding it at arm’s length, she and Yerin scooted even closer to each other than they already were. Yerin pressed her cheek against SinB’s as the two prepped themselves for the typical ulzzang pose. Counting to three, SinB pressed the shutter button. She saw a glimpse of the photo that was taken and noticed that Yerin swiftly changed her facial expression at the last second. The older girl’s eyes were now squeezed shut and her lips were pinched together in a tight smile, causing her cheeks to look like round, squishy mochi.

 

Before SinB brought her phone down, her thumb accidentally pressed the shutter button once again. Only this time, the camera caught her just a few nanoseconds before she bursted out laughing.

 

In the present day, SinB zoomed in on Yerin’s ridiculously adorable face. She found herself smiling for the first time in the past twenty-four hours. But, she soon frowned when the older girl’s words echoed in her mind. “She’s not my friend anymore.

 

A tear escaped from SinB’s eye.

 

“Are you okay, Eunbi-ya?” Mr. Hwang asked in concern.

 

With a slight jolt, SinB hastily put her phone back into her pocket before wiping away her tears. “I’m fine,” she answered, voice slightly hoarse.

 

“The traffic is moving along,” Mr. Hwang commented, as if that would make his daughter feel better. “We’re almost at the exit.”

 

Though wanting to maintain her silent charade, there was a question that has been plaguing SinB’s thoughts like a recurring nightmare. She stared directly at her dad who was either too concentrated on the road or was trying to pretend that her serious gaze wasn’t bothering him. From his reddening ears, SinB knew that it was the latter.

 

“Appa,” SinB firmly addressed her father, “what happened… between you and Umma?”

 

Nervously fiddling with his glasses, Mr. Hwang furrowed his brow. “What do you mean, Eunbi-ya?”

 

SinB held back a scoff and, instead, complied with his need for clarification. “I mean, were you and Umma ever in love with each other?” she said, a little too forcefully.

 

Mr. Hwang exhaled heavily. “Look, Eunbi-ya, I’m sorry that things didn’t go as planned between your mother and I. That we can’t be the happy family we always wanted to be. And, I’m especially sorry for cheating on her. Yes, I was in love with your Umma. She was smart, funny, compassionate. A beautiful human being inside and out. But, even the most beautiful things have some darkness in them. And, I couldn’t handle her anymore, handle being with her. In spite of this, don’t you dare think that you’re the one to blame for our divorce, Eunbi-ya. If anything good came out of our marriage, it would be you.”

 

“I still don’t understand,” SinB professed. “How can two people fall out of love?”

 

“People are meant to fall in love,” Mr. Hwang replied. “But, not all couples are meant to stay together.”


 

“Right this way, Miss Eunbi,” the butler said, escorting SinB through the long hallway to what seemed to be a grand study room. “Miss Yuju will be with you in a moment. May I get you something to drink while you wait?”

 

“No, thank you. I’m fine,” SinB replied, a bit overwhelmed by how luxurious every part of the house seemed to be.

 

“Very well, then.” The butler bowed courteously before closing the solid, wooden door behind him, leaving SinB all by herself.

 

Unlike Sowon’s ranch that at least felt inviting, the Choi estate was more like entering a museum. Everything appeared too clean and organized. Not a trace of dust could be found. Even the couch looked as if no one has ever sat on it with how polished its leather exterior was. For that reason, SinB resorted to standing.

 

To keep herself occupied while she waited, SinB decided to observe the grand display case filled with framed pictures and awards at the front of the room. In all her years of despising Yuju, never once has SinB considered exactly the kind of business the girl’s family owned. All she knew was that it made them powerful and solidified their status in high society.

 

Eyes gazing past a plethora of black and white pictures of Yuju’s ancestors, SinB moved onto the top tier of the shelf. Nestled in the middle was the same family portrait that she previously saw in the photo album on Sowon’s ranch. Encased in a golden frame, the Chois looked dignified and utterly superior. Underneath the portrait was a long, clear box which seemed to showcase a timeline of bullets, ranging from the 1800s all the way to the present day. The more SinB stared at the collection, the more she began to feel nauseous.

 

“Annyeong, SinB-ssi.”

 

SinB turned around and saw Yuju standing at the doorway with an eerie smile. Yuju entered into the room, closing and locking the door. SinB’s heartbeat sped up out of guilt when she saw the damage she had done to the star student’s face. Though SinB knew that she only hit Yuju once on the cheek, it seemed as if the impact from that single punch alone was enough to leave a bruise under her right eye. But what took the most beating was Yuju’s swollen cheekbone. Her once milky skin tone now bared a large black and purple discoloration.

 

“I see you’re taking an interest into the bread and butter of my family’s wealth,” Yuju noted, stepping closer to where SinB stood. “For over 150 years, Choi Corporation has been the leading manufacturers of silver bullets.”

 

Something unsettling stirred within SinB. From the movie marathon she and Umji had several weeks ago, SinB recalled that a silver bullet to the heart was the main method to kill a werewolf. SinB wanted to laugh from the pure irony of her reality. She is a werewolf. Yuju is a descendant of werewolf hunters. It was like their hatred for each other was written in the stars.

 

“But, I’m sure you didn’t travel all the way here for a history lesson,” Yuju chided.

 

SinB gulped. She looked down to collect herself, easing her mind with memories of Yerin and the hope that she could regain her trust. Regain her friendship. “I’m here to apologize to you, Yuju-ssi.”

 

Walking over to the desk at the back of the room, Yuju took a seat on the sophisticated office chair, placed her elbows on the armrests, and laced her fingers together. Like an eagle zoning in on its prey, Yuju set her sight solely on SinB. Feeling small under Yuju’s scrutiny, SinB continued to stand in her spot. She bowed her head and situated her hands behind her back.

 

“My cousin, Choi Siwon, informed me this morning,” Yuju announced. “I’m glad that you had enough common sense to agree. But, I’m sorry to hear that Coach Kwon kicked you off the team. It’s probably for the best, though. In my opinion, we were better off without you.”

 

“I appreciate the feedback,” SinB replied, pinching her wrist to make sure that it didn’t come out sarcastic. “I also greatly appreciate the efforts you went through to convince your parents to drop the charges. But…” SinB paused, wanting to ask the reason behind Yuju’s kindness without sounding too forward.

 

“But?” Yuju repeated, growing impatient.

 

“I was just wondering,” SinB began, treading carefully on her words, “with you being so gracious, if there was anything you wanted from me in return?”

 

Yuju smirked with the uninjured side of her face. “What could I possibly want from you, SinB-ssi? I already have everything that I could ever dream of: the top position in the track team, the entire school turned against you, and Yerin throwing a decade’s worth of friendship down the drain in exchange for me. The fact that I saved you from being expelled is another perk to have in my back pocket. I can just hear the chatter of praise about me buzzing about in the hallways and cafeteria of Navillera High. All the while, I’m sure there will be nothing but nasty and hateful comments directed towards you.”

 

SinB’s heart fumed with anger. “You know what, Yuju?” she seethed, raising her voice. “My biggest regret is not telling Yerin that you cheated on her sooner. I had so many chances, but I didn’t take them because I was foolish to believe that there was enough good in you to confess your mistake. I guess it turns out that you’re a selfish, vindictive slimebag after all. Even if I apologize, what makes you think that I won’t confront Yerin as soon as I see her?”

 

Expression calm and relaxed, Yuju opened the drawer of the desk and withdrew a yellow envelope. “If you tell Yerin, then I’ll slip these documents into Principal Kahi’s office. It’s proof that the urine sample you provided to Coach Kwon before the track meet last week was not your own. Hwang Eunbi, you faked your drug test and committed fraud.”

 

SinB clenched her jaw, putting her on poker face to not give Yuju anymore satisfaction. She was shocked, to say the least. How did Yuju know? How was she one step ahead of her?

 

“Don’t be too alarmed,” Yuju coolly advised. “I don’t know the identity of the accomplice. But, judging from the crowd you hang out with these days, I may have one or two suspects.”

 

Heart pounding in her chest, SinB couldn’t take the psychological torture. Never did she want Umji and Sowon involved with any of this. She threw the punch. She deserved all the blame, no one else. At that moment, SinB knew what she had to do.

 

Dropping to her knees, SinB bowed her head all the way down to the floor. “I’m sorry, Choi Yuju-ssi,” she said as earnestly.

 

Yuju clicked her tongue and rolled her eyes. “After all the hurtful things you said about me, it’s going to take a lot more than a simple ‘I’m sorry’ for me to be convinced. Tell me, SinB-ssi, you have feelings for Yerin, don’t you? Perhaps, you maybe even love her. That’s why you dyed your hair in that awful color. To make you look cool and impress Yerin. I, on the other hand, think that it only makes you look like a skunk.”

 

SinB closed her eyes tightly, the burning sensation of her werewolf counterpart resurfacing.

 

“Promise me that you will never speak to or even look at Yerin again,” Yuju ordered spitefully.

 

SinB’s back muscles began to twitch, yearning to transform. in a sharp breath, SinB had no choice but to say the magic words that filled her heart and mind with agony. “I’m deeply sorry, Yuju-ssi. And, I promise that I will never speak to nor look at Yerin ever again.”

 

“That’s more like it,” Yuju approved, clapping her hands once before relaxing in her chair. “Good luck with school tomorrow, SinB-ssi. You’re going to need it. I don’t want to sound like a bad host, but you must leave now if you want to fulfill your promise. Yerin will be visiting here in a couple of minutes.”

 

Standing up, SinB kept her head low and hands hidden behind her back. With a ninety-degree bow, she said a quiet ‘thank you’ to Yuju before speedily exiting the study room. Ignoring the butler who was probably waiting to accompany her out of the manor, SinB rushed past him and used her shoulder to barge the front door open.

 

Outside, SinB was immediately struck with a blast of frigid cold air. Her alarmingly feverish body temperature, though, quickly dispelled the coolness off her skin. She jumped off the front porch and sprinted across the front lawn all the way to the gate that was left ajar. A black car soon entered, causing SinB to deter off to the side, giving it room to pass. As the car continued to make its way to the front of the estate, an uncomparable scent captured SinB’s senses. A scent which belonged to the one girl who she promised to avoid at all costs.

 

Yelling out to the wind, SinB picked up her speed as she ran with all her might. She didn’t no where to go or what direction she was heading to. She just needed to get out of there. She needed to escape.

 

Everything became a blur as she tried to forget about her problems. Body beginning to feel weary, SinB halted before she could pass out from exhaustion. Wiping the sweat from her brow, she surveyed her surroundings and realized that she somehow ended up in the woods. Head rolling back, SinB stared at the grim and gray sky. Her chest ached as she recounted the things she lost in a short amount of time. She lost a best friend. She lost the care and comfort of her parents. She lost herself. The only way she could cope with the pain was to howl and hope that she doesn’t turn into the monster she had become.

 

*ARH-WOOOOOO*

 

“Wolfpup?”

 

At the call of the familiar nickname, SinB stopped and turned around. There, stood Sowon with her eyebrows knitted.

 

“What are you doing here?” SinB whispered, equally perplexed.

 

“The ranch is just on the other side. I heard a howl and decided to check it out,” Sowon responded. “Are you alright?”

 

In a couple of strides, SinB stepped up to Sowon, threw her arms around the tall girl, and hugged her. Sowon stiffened, oblivious on what to do in this sort of predicament. Comforting others wasn’t her specialty. But, as she heard SinB’s sobs getting louder, she knew she couldn’t just stand there and do nothing. Slowly, she brought her arms around the young werewolf, returning the hug and relaying several awkward pats on the back.

 

Grateful, SinB released the hug to smile at the older girl. But, upon doing so, she was met with the Beta wolf’s fist. Taken by surprise, SinB stumbled backwards and fell to the ground, pressing a hand to her jaw that Sowon punched.

 

“Alphas don’t cry,” Sowon emphasized, tone cold and serious. “No matter how much pain you’re in, no matter how much you feel like your heart is breaking, you keep your chin held high and you numb yourself.” She extended her hand out towards the depressed girl. “Wipe your tears, Wolfpup. Tonight’s the night for you to drown your sorrows.”



 

A/N: That little SinRin moment was inspired by GFriend Loves Europe and this gem of a post on the group’s twitter https://twitter.com/GFRDofficial/status/886830997416759296

 

Song lyrics used: “I Know It’s Over” by The Smiths