Ch. 10: Go Back

Ease My Mind

A/N: It’s becoming a regular occurrence for me, but I really do want to apologize for these late updates. School has been taking a toll on my time. And, my brother got a dog, so I have been  taking care of it all week. Still, I am very grateful for all of the support, and a big thank you to all the new subscribers. ^^

 

This is another lengthy chapter. Comments and feedback are always appreciated. Please enjoy!



 

“And, there I was. Trapped. The guy gripped on my shoulder like a python. I couldn’t move, no matter how much I wanted to,” Yerin disclosed to Yuju, SinB, and Sowon in the cafeteria during lunchtime.

 

The group of four sat at a table near the corner of the room for privacy as Yerin went into detail about yesterday’s potentially dangerous and undeniably strange encounter. Yuju held Yerin’s hand on top of the table’s surface, using her thumb to caress her girlfriend’s skin.

 

SinB couldn’t help but take notice of the gesture, eyes subtly darting down on the pair’s entwined hands whenever Yerin turned her gaze to Sowon or Yuju. The beating of her heart increased with every circular motion.

 

“But, suddenly, I heard a thunderous bark coming from the direction of the track field,” Yerin continued, her dark chocolate eyes widened to recapture the moment of her surprise. “I turned my head around and saw a big, gigantic… animal running towards us.”

 

“An animal?” Sowon questioned with a slight look of disbelief. “What kind of animal?”

 

Yerin shook her head, unsure how to put her memory into words.“Honestly, I was trying to figure it out myself last night,” she replied. “The closest thing that I can compare it to is a wolf. But, no wolf could ever be the same enormous size as the creature I saw. Not to mention the fact that this thing also had fiery red eyes. It’s fur was also majestically silver, kind of like the same color as SinB’s highlights.”

 

SinB began to cough uncontrollably, caught off guard by Yerin’s comparison of her to this “animal.” She reached for her carton of milk and chugged it until her panic subsided.

 

“You okay there, SinB-ssi?” Sowon asked as she forcefully patted the conspicuous girl’s back, eyes seething with electricity.

 

“Yeah. I’m fine,” SinB reassured, rubbing and trying to act unbothered by Sowon’s ruthless slaps that were surely going to leave a bright pink mark on her skin. “Please continue, Yerin-ah.” She smiled through clenched teeth.

 

“Well, whatever this thing was, it saved me,” Yerin announced with every bit of gratitude. “The jerk pushed me to the ground, and I ended up scraping my knee badly. But, the creature practically soared through the sky right above me to attack the guy before he got away. Now, I’m sure the creature could’ve given him more damage than just a bunch of snarls and barks of intimidation. But, right when the guy looked like he was about to urinate in his pants, the creature let him go as a warning. I somehow got the courage to stand up and thank it. And, like a knight in shining armour, the creature bowed before running off to the great unknown.”

 

“This is why the school needs better security,” Yuju spoke up after staying silent for much too long. “Freaks and s can easily get in without having to show their ID. Worst of all, there’s no CCTV to record this act of violence. I mean, that Pledis Academy guy was one thing. But, if there’s a monster, if you still really think it was a monster who protected you, Yerin-ah, then the public needs to be informed about it with proof.”

 

“The creature wasn’t a monster, Yuju-ah,” Yerin asserted. “If anyone has the right to be called a monster in this predicament, it would be the guy.”

 

Yuju shifted in her seat to stare directly into Yerin’s eyes. “I know, babe. It’s just… Ever since you called me last night and told me about what happened to you, I’ve been worried sick. For one thing, I still strongly believe that we should report your incident to the police.”

 

“And?” Yerin waited, knowing very well what her girlfriend was afraid to admit.

 

Yuju exhaled a breath. “And… I can’t wrap my head around that some unexplainable ‘creature’ was your savior,” she answered, carefully treading on her words.

 

“You don’t believe me,” Yerin put it simply, tone disheartened.

 

“It’s not that I don’t believe you, Yerin-ah,” Yuju protested, putting an arm around Yerin’s shoulders. “But, we are living in a world where humongous, red-eyed, wolf-like creatures simply do not have a track record of existing. If we tell that to the police, they’re going to think you’re crazy.”

 

SinB could feel the tension rising between the couple. In the past, it has always been playful banter between the two of them. Though they would tease and call each other names, SinB knew that the quarrel would end with either Yerin or Yuju showering the other one with kisses. But, this occasion was different. Yerin was chewing on the inside of her lip to quell her frustration. And, even through her rival’s bangs, SinB could tell that Yuju’s forehead was intensely furrowed.

 

SinB knew that Yerin needed someone to be on her side. She doubted the apathetic and currently smirking Sowon would stand up for her best friend. Despite all the reasonings and justifications in her mind telling her not to, SinB cleared , straightened her back, and said the words that would probably jeopardize her later.

 

“I believe you, Yerin-ah.”

 

All at once, Yerin, Yuju, and Sowon’s eyes darted to SinB. Each one of their faces bared very different emotions. It was intimidating and excruciatingly overwhelming. But, when SinB caught sight of Yerin’s stunned, yet adorable demeanor light up, she didn’t want to disappoint.

 

“You do, SinB-ah?” Yerin softly asked, unsure if she heard correctly.

 

“Of course I do, Yerin-ah,” SinB professed, cadence gentle and wholeheartedly genuine. “If you say that this wolf-creature was the one who saved you from being harassed by that low-life, then I sincerely believe you no matter how ‘crazy’ it sounds.”

 

“Ahem,” Sowon exaggeratedly uttered, garnering everyone’s attention. “Yerin-ssi, I’m terribly sorry for what happened to you, yesterday. And, I really hope your knee gets better. Though, it was nice to finally have lunch with you and Yuju-ssi, SinB and I have to leave. I just remembered that I need to go to the computer lab to print out my essay. My darn printer ran out of ink this morning.”

 

“That’s alright, Sowon-ssi. And, kamsahamnida,” Yerin replied with a polite smile. She glanced over at a mildly perplexed SinB who was hurriedly zipping up her lunch bag. “We’ll see you at track practice, SinB-ah.”

 

SinB stood up and waved goodbye before she felt Sowon’s arm snaking and clinging onto her own arm. Body tensing up as if she was turning into stone, the two walked side-by-side and arm-in-arm out of the cafeteria.

 

As soon as they were out of the public eye and in the deserted hallways, SinB shook her arm out of Sowon’s grasp. Unperturbed, the taller girl crossed her arms, legs striding wider and faster with each step.

 

Practically jogging to keep up with the Beta werewolf’s pace, SinB noticed that Sowon missed the corridor that would lead them to the computer lab. “Sowon-ssi,” she called out to the older girl who kept her head straight and body moving forward, “the lab is right over th--”

 

In the span of milliseconds it took for Sowon to open the door and push her into the supply closet, SinB gave herself a mental slap in the face for being too ignorant and actually believing in the older girl’s excuse.

 

Sowon briskly locked the door and her heels to meet the younger girl’s annoyed face.

 

“Will you stop shoving me into this place whenever you want to talk to me?!” SinB exclaimed, readjusting her leather jacket that became disheveled.

Sowon folded her arms across her chest contemptuously. “I'll stop shoving you when you stop being an idiot.”

SinB scoffed in disbelief. “Helping out my best friend is considered idiotic?”

“Turning into a werewolf and exposing yourself to two outsiders is considered idiotic,” Sowon fired back.

“So, you expect me to just stay in the shadows and let that guy take advantage of Yerin? What’s the point of all these powers when we can’t use them to do good every once and awhile?”

 

“You’re not a superhero, Wolfpup. You’re a werewolf. And, being a werewolf means protecting your own kind and not interfering with the rest of humanity. If that guy was going to do something to Yerin… then it should have been done.”

 

SinB knitted her eyebrows, locked her jaw, and tightened her fists into a death grip. “You don’t mean that,” she whispered, voice and body shaking from the all the tension she held in. “Look me in the eyes, and tell me that you wouldn't have done the same thing if you were in my predicament. If you saw the person you loved being taken advantage of.”

 

The two were having a staring contest. Both of their eyes were sharp like knives. The oxygen level in the supply closet plummeted as they heavily breathed in and out, trying to gain the upperhand. Once SinB’s ferocious eyes turned red, Sowon looked away in defeat.

“That's not the point,” Sowon responded quietly. “The point is that what you did was foolish and a rookie mistake. Pull that trick again and you might spawn a wolf hunt. Heaven knows that we werewolves need another uproar after centuries of reducing ourselves as myth and folklore,” she said sarcastically.

 

Feeling her phone start to buzz, Sowon stubbornly uncrossed her arms and reached into her pocket, checking to see who was contacting her. “It's Pipsqueak,” Sowon informed, scanning the text message. “She wants to reschedule our study session to an earlier time.” Chuckling lightly, Sowon returned her gaze to SinB. “She may look cute on the outside, but she has the strictness of a drill sergeant when it comes to school.” Laughing once again, Sowon faced the door and unbolted the lock. “See you around, Wolfpup,” she said over her shoulder. “Don’t disregard my advice, again.”

 

The taller girl prowled out the door moments before the bell rang.


 

It was track practice, once more.  Stretching down to touch her toes, SinB couldn’t believe how fast the days were flying by. It was already Wednesday, which meant there was one more day until the track meet on Friday. One more day until SinB could take part in a race to reclaim her title as Navillera High’s top runner. Unfortunately, this current afternoon was becoming increasingly gloomy. Thick, gray clouds banished the sun, and SinB felt several droplets of rain hit her cheek and forehead in the past several minutes or so. Still, a little rain never harmed her ability to run a mile.

 

“Alright, girls!” Coach Kwon clapped her hands and yelled, getting the team’s attention. “The weather may not in be the best condition, but that doesn’t mean you get to slack off. Just be careful and watch out for the puddles. I’ll whistle you girls in if the weather starts getting worse, but I want at least four laps from each one of you. Do you understand?”

 

“Yes, Coach!” the group of girls shouted in unison.

 

“Line up!” Coach Kwon ordered.

 

The team stood behind the white, “Start” line. Several of them rolled their shoulders and jogged in place to get their blood circulating. Others were giving themselves a mental pep talk. While Yerin and Yuju were located in their usual spot in front, SinB situated herself all the way in the back of the crowd. She always preferred starting in the back. It helped pace herself better and pushed her to run faster. Of course, it didn’t really matter anymore since her werewolf abilities had increased her stamina and made her become five times speedier of a runner.

 

Putting the hood of her sweatshirt up, Yerin looked behind her to check on SinB. The younger girl locked eyes with her best friend and felt her lips automatically blossom into a smile. Yerin gave SinB a thumb’s up while mouthing an encouraging “Fighting!” SinB did the same gestures, though, slightly less enthusiastic. Nonetheless, a joyful eye smile appeared on Yerin's demeanor as she faced forward, getting ready to run.

 

Coach Kwon put her whistle to her lips before raising an arm straight up into the air. Simultaneously, she huffed into her whistle and dropped her arm down as quickly as gravity allowed her to. The group of track members began their routine practice run on the rain-slickened course.

 

Moving slowly and cautiously than usual, SinB jogged past a couple of her teammates who stumbled from the dewey surface. Up ahead, SinB spotted Son Chaeyoung accidently splash into a puddle, completely soaking her shoes. Mina Myoui, Chaeyoung’s girlfriend, quickly ran next to the team’s “Baby Tiger” to cheer her up. SinB always thought the two looked absolutely precious together.

 

Juxtaposing the “MiChaeng” couple were Yerin and Yuju leading the clumsy group of athletes. Yuju whispered something into Yerin’s ear before increasing her speed and jetting off, leaving everyone else to trail behind her.

 

SinB rolled her eyes at Yuju showing off even in the tumultuous weather. Keeping a steady pace, she found herself assisting her other teammates who looked like they were going to fall or slip. The sprinkling of the rain soon turned into a light shower as SinB and the rest of the group completed their first lap. Though running in the rain proved to be manageable, it was also becoming increasingly dangerous.

 

Eyes zoned in on Yerin who was still in the front of the pack, loyally following Yuju, SinB noticed how her best friend was having difficulty with the slippery field. Her heart anxiously pounded when Yerin was tragically close to tripping and falling before she was able to steady herself and continued to run.

 

Yuju peered behind her and waved a hand to Yerin, urging her girlfriend to move faster. Pushing her drenched bangs out of her eyes, Yerin obliged, arms and legs operating quickly to catch up. But, as Yerin approached the same puddle that Chaeyoung stepped in, the older girl attempted to jump over it. With her shoe unable to gain enough friction, Yerin skidded and tumbled to the ground.

 

“Oww!” Yerin cried, her entire body laying flat on the field.

 

Coach Kwon’s whistle was heard, signaling everyone to stop. While the rest of the team carefully walked to check on Yerin, Yuju and SinB practically sprinted. But, it was Yuju who got to Yerin first, causing SinB to yield. Getting down on her knees, Yuju helped Yerin to sit up, moving her as far away from the dreaded puddle as she could.

 

“Yerin-ah,” Yuju breathed out, pulling her girlfriend into her arms and hugging her with all her might. “I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have forced you.”

 

“Yuju-ah,” Yerin quietly trembled, “my ankle hurts.” deepened into a frown before she dug her face into her girlfriend’s neck and began to sob.

 

Yuju kissed the top of Yerin’s head as she rubbed the older girl’s back. “Don’t cry, baby.”

 

Like the rest of the team, SinB stood at a distance, giving the couple some space. Coach Kwon soon pushed through the crowd, approaching the pair, and squatting next to Yerin.

 

“Are you okay, Yerin?” Coach Kwon asked sympathetically.

 

“She told me that she’s feeling pain in her ankle,” Yuju answered, holding Yerin tighter to shelter her from the rain.

 

“Let’s take you to the nurse’s office, Yerin. Put your arm behind my neck and Yuju’s neck and try to stand up,” Coach Kwon instructed.

 

Yerin obeyed, grunting and hissing in pain when she finally got to her feet. SinB wished she could just pick up Yerin and carry her out of the brutal rain and into the nurse’s office. But, all she could do at that moment was stand and watch pitifully.

 

“Practice is over, everyone,” Coach Kwon announced. “Mianhae for the trouble. Get inside, get changed, and get home safely.”

 

Relieved, the track team quickly walked off the field and back into the locker room. When it was apparent that Yerin couldn’t walk without limping, Coach Kwon stooped down and continued the trek by carrying the injured girl on her back. A worried Yuju followed every step of the way.

 

All alone on the track course, SinB closed her eyes and tilted her head up to the sky, allowing the raindrops to land on her face and slide down her chin. After several moments, she leveled her head, opened her eyes, and adjusted her drenched hoodie. Inhaling all the oxygen her lungs could take, SinB proceeded to do what does best.

 

She ran.


 

I wanna go back

To the way it was before

Something’s taking over

On a pearly night

With my face against your shoulder

 

SinB regretted a lot of things in her life. She regretted not confessing her feelings for Yerin. She regretted using her dad’s autographed baseball to play fetch with her neighbor’s dog when she was younger. She regretted being too suspicious of Umji when she first came across the quirky, young girl. But, her most current regret was forgetting to bring an umbrella or even her bus pass that morning. Because, now, after running a countless number of laps, SinB had to walk home from school in the pouring rain with only her leather jacket to serve as her protection.

 

SinB knew that her mom would probably pass out if she entered the house looking and, arguably, smelling like a wet dog. Not because her mom would be concerned for her daughter’s health. But more so, because of the rainwater dripping from SinB’s clothes and hair would definitely ruin the carpet and the wooden floorboard her mom extensively cleaned to perfection.

 

Fearing her Umma’s wrath, SinB took a slight detour and made her way to Yerin’s house. She figured it was the best place to dry and clean up as she waited for the storm to subside. But, SinB also really, really needed to check on her best friend.

 

During her solo run, SinB overheard several of her teammates discuss about how Yerin might not be able to compete in the track meet and how Yuju put all the blame on herself. “You better,” SinB said under her breath as she lept over the same blasphemous puddle. Though not exactly competitive, SinB knew how much Yerin enjoyed participating in the track tournaments. It broke her heart to realize that her best friend would most likely have to skip out on the first track meet of the semester.

 

Approaching the older girl’s house, SinB bustled up the stairs leading to the front porch. Beneath the door’s overhang, SinB was glad to finally be out of the rain. With a shivering hand, she pressed on the doorbell several times in a state of urgency. Luckily, it wasn’t long until SinB could hear Yerin’s cautious footsteps making her way to the door. Uponing opening it, Yerin’s eyes bugged out and mouth dropped open.

 

“Omo! SinB-ah!” Yerin exclaimed in shock. “Hurry and get inside!”

 

SinB dawdled through the entrance and immediately felt the warmth of the home’s heater. Yerin closed the door, obstructing the chilly, outside air from getting in. The two friends stared back at each other.

 

“C-can I stay here for a bit, Yerin-ah?” SinB spoke, teeth chattering. “Just until the weather is suitable to walk in.”

 

“Of, course, SinB-ah,” Yerin replied eyes looking at her friend from top to bottom. “You can stay overnight if you want.”

 

“That won’t be necessary. I just don’t wanna dirty up my house and anger my Umma.” SinB smiled sheepishly.

 

Yerin giggled. “Right. Well, you can go to my room and start removing your soggy clothes. I’ll get the tea kettle going and bring over some towels.”

 

“Gomowa,” SinB thanked before briskly slipping out of her shoes and trodding into the older girl’s bedroom.  

 

Once SinB entered the familiar, cozy area, she shrugged off her backpack and laid it by the doorway. Not wanting to set her wet clothes on Yerin’s bed, SinB looked around to see if there was anything appropriate she could use as a drying rack. Attention landing on the plastic chair at the older girl’s desk, SinB walked over to it and began ping her leather jacket.

 

Eyes casually gazing over the top of Yerin’s desk, SinB took notice of the hefty amount of art supplies, which included markers, scissors, and red and pink construction paper. But, then, SinB saw it. A copy of the photobooth pictures Yerin and Yuju took during one of their dates. Accept, the column of pictures were now decorated with hearts, smiley faces, and… a declaration of love.

 

SinB quickly turned away from the desk. Heart rate increasing, she focused on getting out of her unbearably drenched clothes. She removed her school jacket, sweater vest, and tie. Despite freezing and shivering a few minutes ago, SinB was starting to feel oddly warm… too warm. The persistent image of Yuju and Yerin kissing each other was tormenting her thoughts, yet again.

 

Shaking her head, SinB looked down at her white blouse and noticed how the see-through fabric clung to her body, revealing the outline of her black bra. She pushed the locks of messy, wet hair out of her eyes and began to clumsily undo the line of buttons. But, the task proved to more of a challenge than SinB had expected. Her fingertips were slippery, body was uncomfortably heating up, and her mind couldn’t stop thinking about that damn picture.

 

Unable to suffer in her situation any longer, SinB grabbed the front of her collar with both hands and forcefully ripped her shirt open. The buttons scattered to the floor.

 

“SinB-ah, here are some towels,” Yerin spoke as she traipsed into her room, eyes looking down to avoid and step over the younger girl’s backpack. “There’s a blowdryer in the bathroom you can use if you…” As she looked back up, Yerin found herself at a loss for words. There was SinB, panting heavily and holding open her completely drenched blouse. Yerin’s eyes trailed from her best friend's black, lacy bra all the way down to her glistening, chiseled torso. Mouth suddenly too dry, Yerin gulped. “...want,” she breathed out. Eyes blinking at a hundred miles per hour, Yerin darted her vision to her feet as she marched to her bed. “I’ll just leave these towels here,” she bashfully said, placing them on the foot of the bed before retreating back into the kitchen.

 

Embarrassed to the max, SinB hurriedly tugged her arms out of the sleeves and threw the shirt with the rest of the pile of rain-saturated clothes. She grabbed a towel and began to blot the excess moisture off her body. Digging her face into the soft cloth, SinB couldn’t believe what just happened. Though accustomed to being in the for her werewolf transformations, never before has SinB felt so exposed and awkward.

 

Yet, there was also something unusual in her best friend’s reaction. In all of their years of being friends and having to change in front of each other for track practice, SinB has come to know that Yerin wasn’t the type to easily get red in the face. But, when the older girl walked in and saw SinB in her current state, there was no doubt that Yerin was visibly flustered.

 

Ego at an all time high, SinB looked at her reflection in the mirror, flexed her bicep, and smiled proudly before heading to the bathroom.


 

“Thanks for letting me borrow your pajamas,” SinB said, walking back into the older girl’s room after drying her hair. She stretched her leg out to show off the pajama pant’s rubber duck pattern.  

 

“No problem,” Yerin, sitting on her bed and holding her Jibang plush, replied. “And, I think I collected most of the buttons off the floor.” She held up the handful of buttons before carefully dropping them on her bedside table.

 

“Mianhae about that, Yerin-ah.” SinB relayed a sheepish smile as she casually dawdled and plopped herself to the unoccupied side of the bed.

 

“It’s fine. I would have probably done the same thing if it meant decreasing my chances of a cold. By the way, are you feeling any symptoms?” Pressing her hand against SinB’s forehead, Yerin was relieved that it wasn’t hot to the touch like the day before.

 

“None that I can tell,” SinB answered, secretly enjoying the skin contact.

 

“Gosh, I swear your immune system is made out of steel, SinB-ah,” Yerin mused. “Yesterday, you were burning up, and today you had the guts to actually run in the storm all by yourself.”

 

“So, you heard about it.” SinB rubbed the side of her neck guiltily.

 

“I saw it,” Yerin clarified. “I wanted to stop you and scold you for being too stubborn. But, Yuju wanted me to go home and rest my ankle.”

 

Suddenly, it had occurred to SinB that she totally forgot about Yerin’s injury. Who can blame her, though, when the older girl showed zero signs of pain or even a difficulty to walk. “How is your ankle, Yerin-ah?”

 

Yerin looked down at Jibang, poking at the toy’s soft and squishy tummy. “Not bad, but not good, either. The nurse said it’s just a minor sprain. Coach wants me to fully recover and sit out on Friday’s track meet, though.” She began to chew on the inside of her lip.

 

Instinctively, SinB wrapped a friendly arm around her best friend’s shoulders. “Hey, don’t worry. There are plenty of track meets left in the semester.”

 

Yerin cuddled up closer to SinB’s body. “I know. But, this is the first track meet that you’re participating in since your return, and I wanted to show you how much I’ve improved.”

 

“You don’t have to prove anything to me, Yerin-ah. I’ve seen you in practice. Either way, I know you’re always giving a hundred and ten percent in everything you do. I just don’t want you to further hurt yourself.” SinB rubbed Yerin’s arm in comfort, wishing time stopped so they could stay in their current position forever. “I was really worried when you fell,” she admitted softly.

 

Yerin darted her eyes to look directly at SinB. A pleasant smile formed on her face as she reached to pinch the younger girl’s cheek. “Yuju was extremely worried. She carried me bridal style when we arrived at my house this afternoon.” She exhaled out deeply. “I can’t believe it’s almost five months since we’ve been together.”

 

“Five months? That explains the swarm of craft supplies on your desk.” SinB displayed a cheeky grin.

 

“I know I’ve said in the past that if I was in relationship, I wouldn’t turn into one of those girls who obsess over month-old anniversaries,” Yerin began to speak defensively. “That was until Yuju surprised me with tickets to a SHINee concert last month aka our ‘four-month-anniversary.’ I’m thinking about making a card for her or a little scrapbook. It’s no concert tickets, but I’m hoping it gets the message through.” She pressed her lips together, unsure and insecure.

 

SinB cleared , hoping she doesn’t sound bitter when talking about her biggest foe. “I’m sure Yuju will be pleased with whatever the end result is going to be.” Yerin simply nodded her head as she held Jibang tighter.

 

They sat there in silence. SinB’s eyes trailed down the length of the older girl’s body and caught a glimpse of the heavily wrapped bandage around Yerin’s left ankle. She, then, took notice of their position. SinB’s arm was snugly wrapped behind her best friend’s back, while Yerin laid her head on the younger girl’s chest. It felt so natural, and it came natural for them. But, SinB knew that this sort of embrace was reserved for couples. And, as her eyes glanced back to the older girl’s table covered with gift ideas for a particular person, SinB slowly slipped her arm away, keeping it as far from Yerin as she could.

 

“Yerin-ah, can I ask how the two of you got together?” SinB requested, crossing her legs, not even daring to have her feet touch any part of her friend.

 

With the absence of SinB’s arm and chest to lean on, Yerin scooted herself closer to the headboard. Placing Jibang on her lap, she took in a breath and began her story.

 

“During the first several weeks when the school year began and you were gone, I tried hanging out with a couple of classmates that I was friends with. Hayoung, Cao Lu, and even my ‘ex’, Park Sooyoung. Though their group of friends were nice to me and it was fun for awhile, I just kept feeling out place. Like there was no more room left for me in their circle. So, I decided it was best to be alone.

 

“When track season began, I did the same thing. I hanged out with some teammates that I was sort of close with, but ultimately deviated myself from the rest of them. One day, after practice, Yuju approached me and asked if I wanted to get some ddeokbokki with her. I declined, at first, because I knew how much you despised Yuju. But, she insisted, so I went with her. It was awkward, to say the least. I already had these preconceived notions about her, and I was sure that you would go ballistic when you found out that I even chose to be in the same room as her.

 

After the next several days, though, she was really nice to me. During lunch, she would ditch her friends just to sit at my table and eat with me. And, at track practice, she gave me pointers and advice to improve my running times. By the end of the week, she waited outside of the locker room and asked me out on a date. I accepted. The following Saturday, she took me to the amusement park and that's where we had our first kiss. Close to five months later, the rest is history.”

 

Upon the conclusion of her narrative, Yerin turned her head to meet SinB. The werewolf-in-training perceived that her best friend’s eyes had gone drowsy with fatigue.

 

“You should get some rest, Yerin-ah,” SinB suggested as she wiggled out of the bed. “I'll send myself out when the weather isn't too bad.”

 

“Are you sure, SinB-ah?” Yerin asked, pushing her back off the headboard amidst stifling a yawn.

 

SinB smiled. “Go to sleep, Yenni. I'll be fine.” It was a nickname SinB rarely used. But, when she did, Yerin knew it was the younger girl’s way of being gentle, yet assertive at the same time.

 

Yerin obliged, laying her head on her pillow before rolling to her side.

 

Retreating out of the older girl’s room, SinB closed the door as quietly as possible. She went to the dim living room and walked over to the window closed off by curtains. Pulling back the curtain slightly, SinB stared at the gray, cloudy skies and the precipitation which slickened every inch of the pavement.

 

The storm had calmed down a bit.

 

Too bad her heart couldn't.



Song lyrics used: “Go Back” by Cookies