Ch. 14: Look What You've Done

Ease My Mind

A/N: Hey, everyone! Let me start off by saying that I am extremely sorry for the super late update. For some reason, I’ve just been lacking motivation these days. I know it’s not that great of an excuse, but it’s difficult. There were many times when I had to start over and rewrite sections of this chapter. And, there's been days where I didn't want to write at all. Thankfully, I’ve pulled through with this chapter. But, I’m not as focused of a writer as I used to be.

 

I don’t want to abandon this fic, though, because I really do enjoy writing the story and characters. Also, I’m pretty sure that there will probably be 30 chapters in total. So, there’s still a lot to write.

 

Again, thank you for your patience. Thank you for your feedback. And, thank you to all the people who’ve helped this fic reach another milestone with 200+ subscribers!

 

Without further ado...



 

 

“Kamsahamnida for the ride, Heeyeon-unnie,” SinB thanked as she and Umji got out of the chauffeur's car.

 

“Now, now, SinB-ssi. What did I say you can call me instead of Heeyeon?” the playful driver teased, meeting them by her rolled down window.

 

“Kamsahamnida for the ride, Hani-unnie,” SinB corrected herself.

 

“The pleasure is mine,” Hani charmingly replied. “It’s good to see that Miss Sowon is opening the doors of the ranch to her friends. I get worried at how much time she tends to spend here all alone. Anyway, I have to get going. It was nice meeting you SinB-ssi and Umji-ssi. Hope you girls have fun.”

 

Smiling happily as she waved goodbye, Hani reversed out of the dusty driveway and back onto the leaf-covered road leading back to the countryside.

 

“Figures.”

 

Turning their heads to the direction of the apathetic voice, SinB and Umji saw Sowon by the front gate. The taller girl punched in the code for the iron gate to open, allowing the beginner werewolf and her doe-eyed sidekick to enter. With a press of a button the gate slowly creaked back to a close.

 

“I sent a chauffeur and you dimwits still arrive late,” Sowon quipped, arms crossed as usual.

 

“Mianhae, Sowon-ssi,” SinB apologized. “I kept Hani-unnie waiting. My Umma… I just didn’t want her to be left alone, so I called my Aunt to see if she could comfort her while I'm gone.”

 

Softening her demeanor, Sowon nodded her head. “Sounds like a reasonable excuse.” She darted her attention between SinB and Umji, tightened her lips, and turned around towards the house. “Follow me.”

 

“Sowon-unnie,” Umji spoke, fingertips strumming the wired spine of her notebook, “though I’m pretty certain she isn’t, is Hani-unnie a…”

 

“A werewolf?” Sowon casually finished the younger girl’s sentence. “No. Gullible, but loyal? Yes.”

 

The trio continued to walk past the grand, beautiful house and into the patio of the backyard. A gust of wind blew overhead, and SinB found herself shivering from the cold, afternoon air. She forgot how fickle the weather in Korea tended to be. During her time in California, it seemed as if the temperature never dropped below sixty degrees fahrenheit. Though she missed the sunny skies and the predictable weather, feeling the crisp, winter wind momentarily sting her face was an oddly comforting sensation.

 

Sowon halted at the equator where the perfectly mowed lawn transitioned into the untamed forest. Her eyes gazed up to the trees and noticed that there was barely any sunlight beaming through the branches. In fact, she could discern a light moisture in the air. Perhaps, an unexpected storm was underway. Arms dropping to her sides, she turned around to meet the slightly confused pair.  

 

“What do you have planned for me today, Sowon-ssi?” SinB asked, hands deep into the pockets of her leather jacket. “Don’t tell me it’s more of those suicide sprints.”

 

“Nope,” Sowon replied with a shake of her head. “I was thinking that we should try a different approach. Something that will truly test your skills.” She removed her sweater and tossed it to the ground. “Fight me.”

 

Eyebrows knitted, SinB breathed out a nervous laugh, unsure if the older girl was fooling around. “Excuse me, Sowon-ssi?”

 

“You heard me, Wolfpup,” Sowon said, tone as serious as one can sound. “Let’s fight in our werewolf forms. Mano y mano.” Taking a step forward, Sowon stared down at SinB who was doing her best to avoid her gaze.

 

“Listen, Sowon-ssi,” SinB spoke, trying to sound authoritative, “I’ll admit that I rank you as number two on my list of people who I don’t like. But, that doesn’t mean I’m willing to fight you.”

 

“Wolfpup, what I said is an order. But, if you’re that sensitive, think of it as an assessment of your abilities. Don’t worry. I’ll go easy on you.” With an egotistical smirk, Sowon shifted into a black-haired, blue-eyed werewolf before sprinting into the dark confines of the woods.  

 

SinB sighed in exasperation, knowing well that she had no choice but to oblige. She shimmied her arms out of her jacket and gave it to Umji to hold. “I’m going to the side of the house to undress, Umji-ya. Stay out of the forest. Even if this brawl is between Sowon and me, you might get hurt.”

 

“But, I was really hoping I could watch,” Umji protested. “I always wondered what it would be like to watch werewolves fight in real life.”

 

An amused smile spread over SinB’s lips. “And, someday you probably will. But, for now, it’s best for you to keep clear. Things might get brutal.”

 

Playfully pinching Umji’s cheek, SinB ran to the side and came across a small storage unit. She twisted the door handle to check if it was unlocked and was pleased when it pushed open. The space was relatively empty except for several cardboard boxes stacked on top of each other. Glad that she had some privacy, SinB started to remove her clothes, placing them in a pile on one of the boxes. Down on her knees, she closed her eyes, reached deep into her psyche, and allowed the inner beast to enrapture her body.

 

It’s been several days since SinB shifted into a werewolf. She forgot what is was like to be in this different skin. Everything felt surreal, like she was looking through the lenses of a virtual reality headset. But, unlike playing a VR video game, she couldn’t just take off the bulky headset if she wanted to be free of her whimsical world. This was her life now. And, if Sowon wanted a fight, then a fight is what SinB will deliver.

 

Busting out of the storage unit, SinB sped into the forest, searching for the Beta werewolf who always somehow got on her nerves. Feet planting on top of a decrepit tree log, SinB sniffed the air in search for the taller girl’s scent.

 

After days of having to spend time with the older girl, SinB was able to find a familiarity in the Beta wolf’s scent. Sowon’s distinctive smell was reminiscent to what SinB could only describe as burnt roses. Flowery and luxurious, yet smoky and pungent.

 

Deeply inhaling the forest air, SinB could tell that Sowon was close by. Soon after the realization, the shadows of the forest began to shift. Or, more so, a creature with fur as dark as night zipped from one shadow to the next as an act of camouflage.

 

SinB tried to stay calm and focus on Sowon’s scent and the sound of rustling leaves the older girl made with every movement. Her brows furrowed when she could no longer track the smell of roses bruning. The subtle forest sounds also suddenly disappeared. Holding her head high, SinB scanned the array of trees that blocked her view of the ranch and gave her little to no clue if Sowon still presided in her vacinity.

 

*GRRRRRRWWLLL*

 

Charging at her like a speeding bullet, Sowon headbutted into SinB’s chest, knocking the young werewolf off the log and causing her to roll uncontrollably to the ground. Though disoriented, SinB quickly got back on her feet, shaking away the imaginary stars and birds flying around her cranium. She let out a low growl as if to say, “Is this your way of going ‘easy’ on me?” Sowon smirked as she laughed loudly.

 

Annoyed, SinB hunched back her shoulders, preparing to pounce. Sowon, though, was swift to retaliate with a threatening snarl that displayed her deadly canines. Caught off guard, SinB took a cowardly step backwards, earning the arrogant smile of Sowon. The Beta werewolf proceeded to lunge forward, attacking SinB with such force and gusto that the younger girl had no choice but to fall on her back.

 

Sowon clenched SinB by the throat, squeezing it mercilessly. SinB could feel the sharp pinpricks of Sowon’s nails slowly digging into her neck. Not wanting to claim defeat just yet, the Alpha werewolf used her hind legs to push the Beta off of her. Sowon rolled to her feet, smirking as if pleased to see the wolfpup finally fighting back.

 

SinB, on the other hand, was less than amused. Eyes glowing like red, hot flames dancing in a bonfire, she bared her teeth and began to bark, growl, and snarl at her blue-eyed inferior. She, then, proceeded to run in a circular pattern around Sowon, confusing the older girl who stood still as her head whipped back and forth. Right when she knew that Sowon lost track of her, SinB bolted towards the dark-haired werewolf. Using her broad shoulder, she slammed Sowon’s body roughly to the ground. Paws planted firmly on the older girl’s chest plate, SinB was eager to snap, claw, and bite.

 

Pinned under the Alpha wolf’s body, Sowon still managed to place a defensive arm out, blocking SinB’s chances of doing any damage to her. The more Sowon tried to protect herself, though, the more ferocious SinB became.

 

The intensity of the fight rose as both creatures violently pushed and shove one another. Limbs moved haphazardly. Claws swiped, hoping to tear flesh but only ripping through the air. Mouths made terrifying noises that would surely cause goosebumps to rise on anyone’s skin.

 

Panting heavily, Sowon could feel her arms shake and quiver her strength away. She caught a glimpse of SinB’s frantic, crimson eyes and knew that the Alpha werewolf was long from growing tired. Unable to keep a barrier up between her and SinB any longer, Sowon decided to throw in the proverbial towel and allow her arms to drop to the ground. She figured it was enough of a gesture to indicate that she had given up and lost, proving that the young Alpha had remained superior.

 

But, as Sowon caught a glimpse of SinB’s devilish eyes, there were something in them that seemed very off. It was as if SinB had completely submitted to her animalistic side. There was no mercy or even humanity left. Even when Sowon had stopped fighting all together, SinB still had dominance on her mind. And, it wouldn’t be satisfied until she tore the Beta werewolf apart.

 

Head rising to the sky, SinB opened her jaw widely, exposing each and every molar, incisor, and fang. Peering down at the once cocky werewolf, SinB instinctively knew that the best way to put an end to her enemy was to go for the throat.

 

Petrified, Sowon didn’t dare to move a single muscle. Her only hope now was to shift back to her human state and pray that there was a drop of goodness left in SinB before she did something absolutely horrific. Closing her eyes, Sowon morphed back into the homosapien that SinB despised, but would never kill. At least, that’s what she thought. When Sowon opened her eyes again, SinB’s savage demeanor told a different story.

 

The Alpha werewolf’s eyes glowed like embers as salivated hungrily. Ready to attack, SinB whipped her head towards Sowon’s neck. The tips of her teeth were centimeters away from the older girl’s flesh when an innocent cry of mercy echoed through the forest.

 

“SINB-UNNIE! STOP!”

 

Mouth still huffing dangerously close to Sowon’s neck, SinB looked up and saw Umji. The young girl’s eyes had grown wide with fear. But, SinB also detected something else from her neighbor’s angelic orbs: tears.

 

Like a hangover, SinB was hit with a grand slam of regret. She darted her vision back to Sowon who laid uncomfortably under the weight of her heavy body. But, no matter how nonchalant and unfrightened Sowon tried to appear, SinB couldn’t drive out the memory of the older girl tightly shutting her eyes and waiting for her impending death.

 

SinB leaned away from Sowon’s face as far as she could, gently closed , and jumped off of her. Turning away from her cohorts, SinB’s mind began to spin. She stared down at her usually white paws and realized that they were now stained with a mixture of dirt and blood. Dizzy, she sat down by a tree. Breathing became heavier and heart pumped faster. She tilted her head towards the darkening sky and felt a drop of rain plummet on her nose. Then, on her forehead. Then, on her ear. And, then another landed on her nose again.

 

Slumping her entire body to the ground, SinB closed her eyes and allowed the rain to fall on her. She knew it had the power to wash away the blood out of her fur and the tear stains on Umji and Sowon’s cheeks. But, nothing can cleanse SinB’s current perception of herself.

 

I’m a monster.


 

 

“Congratulations, Wolfpup,” Sowon said, traipsing into the living room while drying the excess moisture in her hair with a towel. She took a seat on the big, leather couch opposite of SinB and Umji. “You almost ripped out an artery from my neck.”

 

Eyes staring down at her half-empty cup of tea, SinB clenched her jaw shamefully. “I'm sorry, Sowon-ssi,” she quietly spoke. Umji sympathetically laid a hand on SinB’s bathrobe covered shoulder.

 

“I'm not looking for an apology,” Sowon affirmed. “I'm actually proud of you, Wolfpup. You're finally living up to your Alpha name. But, after what happened with you losing dominance over your wolf side, there's a lesson to be learned: too much power and not enough control is a recipe for disaster. I very much hope you will now stop disregarding my advice and start letting go of your baggage.”

 

“By ‘baggage’ do you mean Yerin-unnie?” Umji questioned in trepidation, knowing that SinB would probably go ballistic to hear her best friend being addressed in such a callous manner.

 

“Yerin is a work in progress,” Sowon refuted, heart rate increasing after seeing a glint of red flash from SinB’s eyes. “What I’m actually referring to is Wolfpup’s family drama.”

 

“I don’t want to talk about,” SinB objected.

 

“Fine,” Sowon casually stated, shrugging her shoulders. “But, the more you keep your problems inside, the more it’s going to eat you alive. Trust me, I know the feeling.”

 

SinB glanced at Umji who sat beside her, the red notebook resting on her lap. The younger girl nodded her head, agreeing with Sowon’s sentiment. Exhaling through her nose, SinB settled the tea cup on the table and began to fidget with the bathrobe’s belt. She found the courage to speak.

 

“When I walked into my house last night, I saw my Umma in the kitchen crying as she picked up the shattered bits of plates off the floor. She looked up at me, tears streaking her makeup, and told me everything.” SinB paused, pressing her lips together and arguing whether she should relay the details to the tall girl she barely considered a friend. She stared at a considerately quiet Sowon and decided to just say it.

 

“My Appa is having an affair. My Umma had her suspicions for quite a while now. Perhaps, four years. It all started when she found a hair that was a different color and a different length as hers in the bathtub. From then on, she kept inspecting every part of the house to see if she could find any more proof. But, along the way, she noticed how dirty the house became after years of neglect and carelessness. So, she began to clean. Cleaning for her became a form of escape and soon enough she started to forget about my Appa’s potential infidelity. That was until today when she came back home after grocery shopping and saw the woman with the same color and length of hair as the strand she found in the tub. Everything clicked, the truth was uncovered, and my Umma wasn’t able to stay composed any longer.”

 

“And, how do you feel about it?” Sowon asked.

 

“Angry. Heartbroken,” SinB responded. “But, also… deceived. How clueless was I to not even consider one or even both of parents cheating on each other to be a possibility? But, as I went outside to throw the bag of broken plates in the garbage, everything started to make sense. Why I barely get to see my Appa around in the house anymore. Why my Umma is obsessed with making sure that every little thing is kept neat and tidy. Why I have always been afraid to fall in love with Yerin. Because, I don’t want to end up like my parents. They were best friends who turned into sweethearts. They adored each other and loved each other. And now, they can’t even be in the same room together without getting into a fight. The love they once had is replaced with bitterness and hatred. What if… what if that’s my destiny with Yerin?”

 

“It’s not, Unnie,” Umji spoke up, “because you know better. Because, I know that you’re not the type to cheat or develop unhealthy compulsive behavior. The feelings you have for Yerin-unnie are as real and true as can be. And, just because your parents’ marriage didn’t work out in the end, that doesn’t mean that you will have to suffer in the same fate.Whether Yerin realizes it or not, the two of you are meant to be together.”   

 

“Agree to disagree, Pipsqueak,” Sowon chimed in, reverting to her snarky, apathetic nature. She stood up and walked over to the window. “Well, would you look at that? The rain stopped.”

 

“Let me go get my clothes back from the shed,” SinB announced, preparing to stand.

 

“It’s okay, Unnie,” Umji spoke. “Stay here and rest. I’ll get them for you.”

 

“Thanks, Umji-ya,” SinB said with a grateful smile.

 

“Pipsqueak,” Sowon called out to the younger girl before she went out the door. “Be careful and watch your step. The ground can get slippery from the mud.”

 

Cheeks lifting up as she smiled, Umji simply nodded in reply before she went outside, closing the door behind her.

 

Alone without Umji to keep them in check, uncomfortable silence quickly filled the room. Sowon sat back down, reaching for the teapot on the table and refilling her cup. SinB picked at her fingernails as she occasionally glanced at the antique clock hanging above the fireplace.

 

“About your parents,” Sowon began to speak in a low tone, “it could always be worse. At least, they actually loved each other at one point. My parents’ marriage was arranged. A business contract to keep the company and werewolf bloodline alive.”

 

“I know that it could be worse,” SinB replied. “But, part of me always wondered if they just had me to ‘save’ their marriage. Don’t get me wrong, I’m thankful to be brought into this world. But, seeing my Umma cry like that… I just want the both of them to be happy.”

 

“You got a good head on your shoulders, Wolfpup,” Sowon said, placing her teacup on the table. “But, happiness is only a figment of one’s imagination.”

 

Before SinB could question what Sowon meant by that, the sound of the front door opening echoed in the house. Umji removed her muddy sneakers and tiptoed to the living room. Once she entered, SinB noticed that her friendly neighbor wasn’t only carrying her clothes, but also what appeared to be a leather-bound photo album. Umji relayed the pieces of clothing to SinB before turning her attention to the tall girl whose eyes grew wide upon realizing what she brought back.

 

“Sowon-unnie, I hope you don’t mind, but I accidently knocked over one of the boxes and this fell out.” Umji handed the photo album to the taller girl who stared at it solemnly. “I was going to put it back, but then I quickly flipped through it and came across a picture of Yuju-unnie on one of the pages.”

 

Taking a seat on the couch that Sowon was situated, Umji scooted closer to the older girl and turned it to one of the first few pages. Front and center was a Christmas card picture of a slightly younger Yuju surrounded by people who appeared to be her mother, father, and grandfather. She was adorned in a dark green dress while the rest of her family sported matching, sophisticated attire.

 

Walking over to Sowon’s couch SinB stood behind it and leaned forward to get a better look. Her eyebrows jumped to see that the girl in the picture was none other her personal, public enemy. “Why do your parents have a picture of Yuju’s family?”

 

Sowon shifted in the couch, leaning away from Umji who was too close for comfort. “Like I said on our ‘date.’ My parents are friends with Yuju’s parents. But, it's not because they both attend the same country club and charity events.” Sowon paused and redirected her gaze from the picture to stare at SinB and Umji. “Yuju comes from a long line of werewolf hunters.”

 

SinB scoffed. “That's actually real?”

 

“As real as you and me, Wolfpup,” Sowon quipped. “The reason why my parents befriended Yuju's parents is so that they could monitor them. How does the saying go, again? Keep your friends close and your enemies closer?”

 

“Why are your parents monitoring them, Sowon-unnie?” Umji asked.

 

“Both of you, do you see this ring that Yuju’s grandfather is wearing?” Sowon pointed to the gold band with a purple gemstone proudly worn on the elderly man’s right hand. “That ring has been a part of Yuju’s lineage for generations. An heirloom of sorts. In the beginning, the father gives it to his eldest son when he becomes of age. But, in recent times, the father gives it to his eldest when he believes that they are ready to inherit it. Usually, it's when the father has fallen ill and knows that he won't have much time to live. With Yuju’s grandfather diagnosed with cancer several months ago, my parents have paid special attention to see whether Yuju’s father has accepted the ring yet.”

 

“What's so special about it?” SinB questioned as she continued to stare at the piece of jewelry.

 

“Back in the olden days, the Choi clan, aka Yuju’s family, prided themselves as being the best werewolf hunters. We werewolves feared them so much that we went into hiding. Away from civilization. Away from anyone ever hurting us. In fact, we made ourselves disappear so well that the rest of the world began to consider us a myth, just a bedtime story parents would tell their children to scare them to sleep. Everyone forgot that werewolves ever existed. Everyone except for the Choi clan.

 

“While the Chois continued to try to convince others that werewolves are real, people started to see them as crazy zealots seeking attention. They were discouraged by the public’s ridicule. Not wanting to be seen as a joke, the Choi clan stopped trying to persuade others and began to blend back into normalcy. But, they didn’t want to entirely abandon their aversion for werewolves. So, the Chois produced a ring as a symbol of their grudge towards werewolves and a reminder that such creatures do exist. They say that the gemstone is actually made up of crushed aconitum, or wolf’s bane as called in popular culture. And, though never confirmed, it is believed that the ring carries mystical power to the one who wears it.”

 

SinB massaged the bridge of her nose, trying to grasp all of these revelations. “Wait. Do you think... Yuju knows this stuff about her family?”

 

“Most likely not,” Sowon answered, closing the photo album and giving it back to Umji. “And, neither do her parents.”

 

“What do you mean, Sowon-unnie?” Umji asked as she mindlessly examined other pictures in the album.

 

“As I mentioned, only crazy people believe in the existence of werewolves these days. In order to appear normal, the father tells absolutely no one until he passes the ring to his next of kin. And, even on the brink of death, Grandfather Choi has yet to hand it down to Yuju’s father. The secret is still hidden which is why, not only my parents, but also every other werewolf in South Korea are on high alert. If Grandfather Choi dies before he gets the chance to give Yuju’s father that ring of Wolf’s bane, then we werewolves no longer have to worry about hunters trying to get our heads on a mantel as some sadistic trophy. But, if he does, it has been prophesized that a terrible occurrence will strike the werewolf race, causing destruction and threatening humanity.”

 

“Well, doesn’t that sound delightful,” SinB sarcastically commented, retreating back to her couch.

 

“There’s nothing to worry, Wolfpup,” Sowon said, standing up to stretch her arms out while yawning. “Those kinds of prophecies are as credible as the ones found in fortune cookies. Still, it wouldn’t hurt you to get a little more prepared. And, since the rain has stopped completely, I think it’s best for you to get back out there and do some sprints.” She smiled smugly at the undeniably peeved Alpha wolf. Twisting her body to glance at Umji, Sowon’s eyes soon went wide in horror. “Pipsqueak! Don’t you dare turn to the next page!”

 

Umji’s expression shifted in puzzlement. “Why, unnie?”

 

“Just don’t,” Sowon warned with a low growl.

 

Knowing that Sowon wasn’t going to hurt her no matter how threatening she currently looked and sounded, Umji took her chances and flipped to the next page. Amongst, the taller girl’s grunts of aggravation, Umji now understood why Sowon was so defensive and opposed of her seeing the contents on the page.

 

It was a professionally taken photo of Sowon and her family. Her dad was handsome, her mom was elegant, and her sister was breathtakingly beautiful. But, none of those words applied to how Sowon appeared in the picture. Her dress was ill-fitting, hair was awfully styled, and body was positioned awkwardly. Not to mention that Sowon’s face was scarred and covered with the red blemishes of acne. All in all, this wasn’t the same Sowon who currently stood in front of Umji with her perfect body, perfect hair, and perfect face. Nonetheless, it was the Sowon whom Umji would have still wanted to befriend.

 

“The photographer’s concept for the pictorial was a ‘well-rounded, aristocratic family,’” Sowon began to explain. “He instructed my mother to put her hand on my shoulder. I flinched when I felt her touch. Display of affection from both of my parents is foreign to me.”

 

Umji stayed silent, eyes never leaving the picture.

 

Sowon sat down, unsure what to say or do. “I remember overhearing the photographer whisper to his assistant about how I had the sort of face that only a mother could love. How ironic that even my own mother refused to love me.” Umji continued to remain quiet. Sowon grew anxious. “Your silence is creeping me out, Pipsqueak. Just say what’s on your mind. I’m sure I’ve heard it a thousand times already.”

 

What seemed like forever, Umji finally turned to face Sowon. Searching into the older girl’s bewildered eyes, she cleared to speak. “Sowon-unnie,” Umji addressed before softly closing the album shut, “you had the kind of face that deserves to be loved.”


 

 

After another day of training, Sowon called up Hani to drive SinB and Umji back home. Unfortunately, the charismatic chauffeur was already scheduled to take Mr. and Mrs. Kim to a charity auction in Seoul. Sowon would have offered to drive them in her own car, but she was too lazy and didn’t want to suffer through the traffic. So, instead, she gave the pair some cash for the bus and taxi fare. Her credit card was off limits after the leather jacket and makeover stint last weekend.

 

The bus ride took about forty minutes to get back to the city. But, instead of using the remaining money to get a cab to take them directly home, SinB and Umji decided to just walk and use the cash for a late night snack.

 

Currently strolling through town, SinB began whistling a tune to herself. The melancholic melody captured Umji’s attention. She pivoted her head to glance at SinB. The gray and silver streaks in the older girl’s hair shimmered radiantly underneath the white glow of the city lights. SinB, then, tilted her head to the starless night sky and whistled what seemed to be the chorus of the song. Umji smiled from how SinB resembled a wolf howling at the moon.

 

“Unnie, what song are you whistling to?” Umji asked once the older girl finished her solemn tune.

 

SinB sighed deeply, her warm breath visible in the cold air. “I don’t remember the title of the song, but it’s English. It showed up in my music recommendations when we were on the bus, so I gave it a listen. And, now, it’s pretty much stuck on repeat in my head.”

 

“It sounds really pretty,” Umji noted. “Sad, but pretty.”

 

Chuckling, SinB twirled herself on a lamp post as they waited at the crosswalk. “Kind of describes Sowon’s life.” Upon saying the Beta werewolf’s name, SinB noticed a tightness in Umji’s posture. Grinning, she decided to take advantage of the situation. “You know, I didn’t want to say anything on the ranch or during the ride back, but… do you like Sowon, Umji-ya?”

 

The younger girl buried her face into her notebook, trying to hide her rosy cheeks. Umji heard SinB snickering and decided to just say whatever comes to mind. “I know that Sowon-unnie is a jerk, at times. But, she’s a jerk with reason. That doesn’t mean that I have a crush on her, though.”

 

Rocking back and forth on her heels, SinB continued to grin at a flustered Umji. “It’s alright, Umji-ya. I’ll drop the topic. But, I’m not joking when I say that I think Sowon likes you, too.”

 

Eyes wide and head pointing shyly to the ground, Umji began to run across to the other side of the road as soon as the light signaled that it was safe. Not surprised of the younger girl’s actions, SinB jogged to catch up with her adorable neighbor. Upon reaching the sidewalk, Umji and SinB slowed their pace down to a leisurely walk.

 

Spotting a food cart not too far away, Umji tapped on SinB’s shoulder and pointed to it. “Unnie, do you want to eat some tteokbokki and cheese kimbap before heading home?”

 

“Sure. Sounds good to me,” SinB agreed, nodding her head.

 

The closer they got to the food cart, the more aware SinB became of the familiarity of her surroundings. The eatery on wheels was located on the street adjacent from Contrail. As Umji ordered their food, SinB took notice of the teen patrons hanging around the establishment who most likely came outside to satisfy their drunk cravings after partying.

 

With a steaming bowl of tteokbokki in one hand and a plate of kimbap in the other, the pair situated themselves at one of the unoccupied tables. Biting into one of the slices of kimbap, SinB took out her phone to check the time and to also see if her aunt has texted her anything regarding her mom. It was 10:30 pm and the only text message she received was from her dad asking if they could meet tomorrow to talk. SinB turned the screen off, not in the mood to reply.

 

“Is Contrail really that great of a hangout as everyone says it is?” Umji spoke, stabbing her fork into a piece of tteokbokki.

 

“It is...,” SinB replied, “if you like places that are loud, crowded, overpriced, and filled with people who are trying way too hard to look cool.”

 

Umji giggled. Before indulging in a bite of kimbap, she dropped it back on the plate with a noticeable grimace. “Yuck.”

 

Brows furrowed, SinB looked at the younger girl in confusion. “What’s wrong, Umji-ya?”

 

“A couple is furiously making out in the alleyway of Contrail, and I have a front row seat,” Umji complained.

 

Laughing a bit, SinB turned around to check out Umji’s point of view. Her jovial smile diminished, though, when she recognized that the two people kissing with their arms around each other in a lustful embrace weren’t just any ordinary couple, weren’t even a couple to begin with.

 

Slowly turning away from the heart wrenching scene, SinB’s mouth agaped. Her eyes met with Umji’s and the younger girl could tell that something was completely wrong with the situation. “That’s Yuju and Eunha.”

 

SinB suddenly shot up from her chair, gaining the attention of other customers. She shook her head, trying to convince herself that the girl whose hands were exploring the waitress’ body was actually some stranger who only looked like Yuju. But, as her nose picked up on that metallic scent which made her teeth grind and cringe in discomfort, SinB knew that her mind was not playing a cruel trick on her.

 

Yuju is cheating on Yerin. Her best friend, Yerin. The girl who SinB had fallen in love with, but was too much of a coward to admit it when she had the chance. SinB’s heart ached at the thought of Yerin learning the truth. To learn that almost five months of her life has been wasted on dating a two-timing snake.

 

Without warning, a scalding sensation coursed through her eyes, causing SinB to act fast before her inner werewolf reared its ugly head.

 

“M-mianhae, Umji-ya,” SinB spoke, voice shaking. “I-I need to go.”

 

Walking speedily past the food cart and away from Contrail, SinB grabbed her phone out of her pocket, plugged in her earphones, and played the one song she needed to hear at that moment.

 

Oh, look what you've done

You've made a fool of everyone.

Oh, well, it seems like such fun

Until you lose what you had won.



Song lyrics used: “Look What You’ve Done” by Jet