Kim Mingyu

Diamonds in the Rough

 

What could possibly go wrong with dating a guy who can do absolutely anything--from cook to catch fish to strut like no one's business on the runway, plus sing, dance act, and rap? Or a guy who could help you survive should you (God forbid) find yourself stuck in a deserted island? It sounds like everyone's dream guy, right?

But see, that's exactly the problem with Kim Mingyu: he was absolutely every other girl's dream guy. Or even every other guy's dream guy, we're not denying the possibility. On days when you would be out with him, people would gawk at his height, his face, his smile... You name it. It's true, you knew exactly what you signed up for when you allowed him to court you, but it doesn't have to feel like you're the one competing for his attention against a few thousand other people. Does it?

"Ah, thank you so much," he said good-naturedly when another fan asked for his autograph, and yet another asked for a picture with him. He never turns anyone away, which certainly helps in his idol image, but not so much his boyfriend image--at least, you didn't at all think it did. And it doesn't helpt at all that he wuld never cover u when he was out with you, like he actually wants people to see him walking around. Initially it touched you that he wanted to show people that he was dating you, but now it was just a big bother--because no one ever really sees you.

When he (finally!) turned to look at you, you must have had a sour look on your face because he blinked and said, "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Nothing," you said and waved it off, then resumed walking--consequently assuming that he was walking close to you. You were just beginning to calm down and remembered to tell Mingyu a funny story from work when you turned and saw a gaggle of school girls flocked around him. That's it. You bit you lip and stormed off until you couldn't hear their high-pitched screaming or see his tall form towering over them all.

After a few minutes of brisk walking, you found a quiet spot in the park with only a few people walking about, and empty benches lined along the street. You sat yourself on a bench and closed your eyes, allowing your ears to tune in on the gust of wind and the soft voices of the people passing by. Slowly, you evened out your breathing and forced yourself to calm down. When you opened your eyes, however, you saw Mingyu across the park, jogging and looking around like a lost child. It's not so easy to lose a big guy like him, especially since he always looked like he just walked out of a fashion magazine.

Maybe he could tone down dressing like a model, for starters.

You kept your eyes on him as he got closer, and when he caught your eyes, you looked away. Soon enough he had ran up to you and was panting a little.

"There you are! Why did you leave me all of sudden?" he said in between short breaths.

You shrugged. "Nothing."

"Is that your word of the day? 'Nothing'?"

You glared at him and bit your tongue to avoid a retort. Then you exhaled and said, "Mingyu, I'm kind of tired. I think I'll just go home now."

He looked honestly confused. "But we're on a date. And we've planned for this for months! And now you're just going home?"

You snorted. "What date, it looks like a damn fansign to me," you said under your breath, but he caught it all the same. Which was what you actually intended.

"Oh."

"That's it? 'Oh'?"

"No, I... I'm sorry, I just--"

"Never mind, I'm going," you said and stood up to leave. But before you could take even a step you took your hand and looked at you with a pleading look in his eyes, like a kicked puppy.

"Don't use those eyes on me, Kim Mingyu, if you want to keep your eyeballs."

He winced, and you regretted your harsh words a little. Just a little. "I'm really sorry I've been insensitive, but my line of work requires this. But I won't blame anything. It was my fault for not making it clear to people that I'm not Mingyu of SEVENTEEN today, but Kim Mingyu your boyfriend."

You didn't say anything. He sighed, and continued.

"Please don't go. Don't leave me. I don't know when I'll see you again, and I've waited for months for today."

"You don't look like someone who waited a long time."

He bit his lip. "I know. I'm sorry. The day is still long, can you allow me to make it up to you?"

You hesitated, and verbalized what was actually gnawing at your mind for quite a while now. "Mingyu, you're an idol. You rely on your fans. It's your job, and I understand that. You're forever busy trying to keep your fans happy, because it's what you do. Don't you think that maybe you don't have time for this? For me?"

He blinked, then a look of horror crossed his face. "Are you breaking up with me?"

"I want the best for you."

"The best for me is standing right here, in front of me."

"Mingyu..."

"No, listen," he said, and he gently took you by the forearms and looked deep into your eyes. He was a whole head taller than you, and it always made you fit comfortably snug in his embrace. He looked deep into your eyes and seemed to memorize every detail of your face.

"I know, I'm an idol and my life is dedicated to my fans. But, sweetheart, can't I dedicate my life to you too? You're my number one fan after all. Can't I be both to you?"

"I'm just one person, Mingyu. Your fans are thousands all over the world."

"Yeah, but no one is more precious than you. You're my seventeen-carat diamond, the only one. Can't you put your trust on me in this one? I love you."

You caught your breath. He has never said those words to you, and it was actually still fairly early in the relationship to say it. But all the same, the way the words rolled of his tongue, you knew it was from his heart. You felt tears gather in the corners of your eyes and angrily dabbed at them.

"Damn you, my makeup is going to get ruined," you said.

But he laughed that golden laugh of his, and he wrapped you in his long arms. "You're so beautiful," he whispered.

"I swear, Kim Mingyu, this is your last chance," you said, but you knew deep down that you will always find yourself forgiving him.

"I won't waste it, I promise," he said, then he took your hand. "Are you ready to continue our date now? You better be ready, because I don't plan on letting hand go all day, even if it gets all sweaty."

You laughed. "You're gross. I love you."

He placed a soft kiss on your forehead. "I know you do."