Lee Chan

Diamonds in the Rough

You were a senior in high school and he was a sophomore, and yet has was the one who had the guts to ask you out. He had always acted way older than his age, which wasn't all that bad. Nevertheless you still worried about him from time to time, since you were also about to graduate and head to university. He never gives you any reason to worry, but it was instinctive in you. He's younger than you, after all. It took a while for you to realize that this was not your little brother – this was your boyfriend.

Not that he wasn’t trying.

"Noona!"

You were shaken from your thoughts when you saw Chan making his way toward you. The sophomore classes were just getting dismissed, while the seniors have been dismissed half an hour earlier.

You waved at him. "You’re here?"

He beamed at you. Even if he was younger, he was already a couple of inches taller than you and his build was that of an older guy. The idol training was really working him up.

"Noona where should we go today? Han river? Namsan tower? Hongdae?"

You laughed at all his suggestions. "Nowhere. Don’t you have training?"

He sighed exasperatedly. "Ah I don’t want to though... I want to play with noona all day..." he said with that irresistible pout. He hated being seen as young, but he knew when to play his dongsaeng card.

You shook your head firmly. "You can’t. Come on. You can walk with me until we get to Pledis."

Sulkily, he walked alongside you. It was a quiet walk for a while until he broke it by asking, "Noona, I’m still a kid to you, aren’t I?"

It took you a second later to respond, so when you said "No, you’re my boyfriend" he stared at you like he didn't believe you.

“You hesitated.”

“You caught me off guard!”

Chan shrugged and grabbed your hand, swinging it along as you walked. He didn’t meet your eyes for a long while. "Noona will be going away soon, to college...” he said quietly. “I have to grow up too. But I also want to be with you until the end."

You fell quiet, because it wasn't like the thought never crossed your mind before. It has – a lot. You were leaving for college soon, and he will also be busy since their group is going to debut soon. Things will be difficult as they get busy, but you have always told yourself to take each day one at a time, not worrying about the inevitable future waiting.

"Me too, Chan..." you said carefully. "But--"

"Never mind, noona, don’t say it," he said suddenly, grinning. "Let’s just walk."

It was a quiet half-hour walk to Pledis, and when you finally made it, you suddenly didn't want Chan to go in. Something in your guts told you that things won't ever be the same again if he crosses that threshold that day. As he took a step forward, you tightened your grip on his hand.

"Don’t go..." you said softly.

Chan seemed to have something in his mind, and he took your hands in his. Even his hands were way bigger than yours already, and nothing beats his warm palms in the face of autumn.

"Noona, I’ll make you a promise."

"What promise?"

"When I become famous, I’ll look for you. I won’t forget."

The fear you've kept to yourself rose to your chest. "What are you saying?"

"Seventeen will debut soon. In the future I’ll be busy, like you. We’re both going to be really busy. We both know these moments will only keep getting rarer as the days go on. But noona, I’ll work hard so that I can find you again."

"Are you… Are you saying goodbye right now?"

"Not exactly, I’m just promising you this."

You knew he was right, but it still left a heavy feeling in your chest. You have to grow up, and he has to grow up too. Your paths are not exactly in line with each other, but here he was, promising to be famous and successful just so he could find you again someday.

"Don’t forget me," you said after a long pause. "Don’t you ever. If you do, I’ll kill you."

Chan chuckled, then swooped down and planted a soft kiss on your cheek, then hugged you tightly. "Never. Why would I, when I like you too much?"