Lee Jihoon

Diamonds in the Rough

Being together for three years should make one feel comfortable with one's significant other in a way that, events such as Valentine's day or anniversaries are not all about the fanfare anymore and just being together is the best gift one can give and get. Especially when days where a couple could be together are rare, and when normal days are just as sweet as special days are.

That is how things with you and Jihoon are. You did not expect anything special from him whenever your anniversary would roll by--you've even given up on celebrating monthsaries, because, as Jihoon said, "Don't you think it's better to count the years rather than the months? That way it feels more special and impressive." To his credit, he has stuck with you for the past three years, and things have been going well.

Not to mention that he never forgets special days. For a busy guy like him, it would be easy to speed through a day and completely forget events that are not at all demanding or big. Just him remembering to greet you on your birthday or your anniversary or Valentine's day makes all the difference. And he has also built up a schedule every time your anniversary would come. He always set aside that day to spend with you--and would not get distracted by work.

The special day would normally go like this: he would call you early in the morning to coax you out of bed, and sometimes you'd even pretend to forget what day it was. Then he'd be at your door exactly two hours later, knowing perfectly well that would be done getting ready by then. It the one special day you could look forward to in a year where you could spend an entire day with him uninterrupted. Your birthdays are usually celebrated with your family, and you're not a huge er for Valentine's day: your anniversary day is enough.

 

It didn't go that way this year though. You groggily woke up on your own on your anniversary day and it read 10:11am on your phone. There were no unread messages or missed calls either, but you shrugged it off thinking he just woke up late, since he had told you the night before that was working later hours.

Strangely enough, Jihoon didn't contact you at all through breakfast and lunch, and it was pushing 4pm when you decided to call his friend Seungcheol.

"Hello?"

"Well, hello, isn't this Jihoon's lady?" he jokingly answered.

You chuckled drily. "Where's Jihoon? Is he at home?"

"No, he's not at home though? Wasn't he with you?"

"No..." you trailed off, your chest getting heavier by the moment.

"That's weird, isn't today your anniversary?" he asked.

Even the boys knew of it too. "You don't think he...forgot?"

"No way, he would never. Last I saw him was at the recording studio last night, and if I remember correctly I don't recall seeing him at all this morning. Maybe he's still there."

You nodded, more to yourself. "Okay, thank you. I'll go try see him then, if he's there."

 

You went with your instincts and made your way to Pledis Entertainment. You had an official ID that Jihoon got for you after six months of dating, and it helped you a great deal with entering the premises. You also knew the building like the back of your hand, having gone there many times over. You quickly made your way to Jihoon's studio and sure enough, he was there with Bumzu.

But while Bumzu was working, Jihoon was sound asleep on the table beside him. When Bumzu heard the door open and saw you enter, he quickly excused himself presumably to give you two some space, muttering something about coffee as he went.

You sat beside Jihoon on the chair Bumzu vacated and waited quietly as he slept on for another half hour. He had dark circles under his eyes and skin was kind of sallow. He looked extremely tired. When he finally stirred and opened his eyes, he almost fell out of his chair when he saw you sitting where he expected Bumzu to be.

"Woah why are you here... I mean, how did you get here?"

You lightly chuckled. "Through the door."

"No I mean--how did you know I was here?" He looked too stressed to get the joke. You felt your brow furrow in worry.

"Seungcheol told me... Should I leave?"

"N-no! I just--wait, what time is it..." he muttered to himself and checked the time, then gave a yelp. "It's so late!"

"No, it's okay. You needed to rest, you look like you've been working all night," you said gently.

He was panicking and fiddling with various keys and buttons on the machine in front of the both of you, muttering to himself so much that you felt like you were intruding. You gently touched his shoulder.

"Jihoon... I'll leave for now. I'll see you tomorrow... I mean, next time." Inside, you were sad beyond belief. For the first time ever he forgot the special day because of work, but since it was the first time, it felt a little easier to let go. All the same, your heart felt heavy as you stood to leave.

Before you could, he grabbed your hand. "No, I didn't mean that--Please don't go. I was preparing something and I didn't realize I fell asleep and... I'm sorry... I didn't forget what today was, it's just... Okay fine, here. Listen to this for a bit."

He sat you down on the chair and pressed another button. At once a beautiful melody filled the room, with romatic riffs from an acoustic guitar, and it was a song that you've never heard before. It must be a new composition. As you listened to the lyrics, it spoke of your love story with Jihoon: no othe couple could have met the way you did, browsing through CDs in a store and dropping a stack of them on his toes. It brought back fond memories of when you first saw him for who he really was, and when he first fell in love with you.

You didn't realize that tears had sprung from your eyes and as it finished, you looked at Jihoon. He was smiling uncertainly at you, maybe half-worried that you didn't like it, but at the same time hoping that your tears were tears of joy.

"It's not finished yet, but it's late enough as it is... Lacking as it is, this is my anniversary gift."

You were stumped. He stayed up all night not for work, for to finish a gift for you that he only maybe squeezed in between all the other songs he still had to make. Knowing how much of a perfectionist he was, it was an amazing feat for him to relent and show you an unfinished project, but it was beautiful all the same. You jumped from your chair and wrapped your arms around his neck in a tight embrace, thanking him over and over.

"I love it! It's beautiful... Is it really for me?"

You felt him sigh in relief on your shoulder and wrap his arms around your waist. "I'm really glad you like it, even if it's still not finished. And yes, it's all yours. No ears but yours will get to hear it. It's only between you and me."

You looked up at his face--he was half a head taller than you and you fit right into his embrace. You placed a light kiss on his cheek. "Thank you. But there's an even better gift you've given me this year."

He frowned. "What's that?"

You nuzzled yourself against his chest and said softly, "This hug."

You could almost imagine the soft smile on his face as he hugged you tighter. "I love you, my muse."