Joshua Hong

Diamonds in the Rough

 

You woke up feeling great and for a moment forgot what day it was. When you checked your phone and saw an unseen text message on the screen, you smiled and remembered.

The 14th of February. It was Valentine's day. And it was your first Valentine's day with your boyfriend.

You swiped to open the message and your smile grew wider when you saw it was none other than your sweetheart, Joshua Hong.

Good morning, lovely. I'm taking you out today, so please be ready at 9am? See you later~ Love you~

 

Promptly at 9am Joshua was standing outside your house with a dainty bouquet of pink tulips--your favorite flowers--and even stepped in to help you and your mom arrange them in a vase before going on your way. He had this way about him that made your mom at ease, and add that to how he always tells her that he will have you back home at promptly 10pm. No wonder they were so eager when he started courting you.

After arranging the flowers, your date with Joshua began. It was the perfect day to be outside: the sun was shining brightly, but it was not too hot because it was just a little after spring and way before summer, and the weather was fantastic. The sky was a bright blue, the wind was warm and comforting, and best of all, Joshua's fingers were intertwined with yours.

His date plans were always simple and sometimes spontaneous, or sometimes you just end up doing something simple like walking and talking--which was, in your opinion, one of the best kinds of dates there are. You haven't gone on many dates together yet, but every single one of them was special primarily because he treats you like a lady every time. And when you weren't out together, he calls you up and talks with you for as long as he's permitted. There was always something to talk about with Joshua--the bottom-line is, he is the perfect gentleman and this was the biggest reason why you fell in love with him in the first place.

So it was supposed to be romantic, right? It was your first Valentine's day date, and you were with someone you like on a perfect day. It was supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable, but for some strange reason, it was not. As you walked alongside him with your hand in his, you wondered to yourself how on earth being a gentleman could become this annoying.

"Oppa, I'm really okay," you said a little exasperatedly for the upteenth time in reply to another of his "Are you okay? Are you hungry? Is it cold? Are you having fun?" tirades.

He laughed nervously at what you said, probably wondering if you were telling the truth or not. His eyes were obviously worried despite his smile. It was so strange--he was usually so smooth and easy-going. But for some reason, he was on the edge today. Everything he did was jittery--luckily his hands were not at all clammy, though they might be soon enough.

"Sorry," he said softly, but you knew he would ask you again later if you were hungry or cold or bored. Or all three at once. All day he insisted to carry your bag or your sweater or your umbrella, and all you insisted that it was okay because it was just a tiny purse, the umbrella cord was looped comfortably around your wrist, and you were able to tie your sweater around your waist. Contrary to the supposed sweet image of boyfriends carrying their girl's stuff, you didn't find it sweet at all--it looked rather bothersome and it seemed a little demeaning for the girl. You reserved the chivalrous act for when you were going shopping and your bags were already too much for your own hands.

"It's really not heavy," you insisted. Before he could retort, you took his hand and squeezed it gently. "Oppa, are you okay? Why are you like this?"

"Like what"? But you gave him a look that said "are-you-serious" and he sighed. He stopped and faced you, taking your other hand into his. They were a little clammy now, but also very soft and warm. He looked into your eyes and held your gaze for a moment that your heart started racing like crazy.

"I'm really sorry," he said softly. "I'm just worried is all."

You blinked. "Worried? Why?"

He hesitated for a moment and bit his lip uncertainly, then said, "Y-you... I don't know if I've said this already, but you're my first love, and my first girlfriend. I'm so lacking in experience with all this dating stuff, but I still want to give you the best I can, always. It's kind of embarrassing to say, but prior to today I marathoned all the romance movies you like to have an idea of how you'd like today to go. I'm that clueless."

You were stunned for a second, then you felt your lips curl into a smile, until you started laughing. He looked a little taken aback by your reaction, and for his sake you buckled down your laughter.

"I know, it's funny," he said, only now he looked even more shy and uncertain.

"It's not funny," you said, "it's absolutely sweet. Who did you rope in to watch with you?"

Joshua awkwardky rubbed his nape and with a sheepish smile said, "Sometimes Vernon, sometimes Jeonghan. Whoever would be free. Sometimes I watched in bed before I slept, and some members even thought I was watching something, er, inappropriate."

You laughed again. "But seriously, it's great. I get it now, what you're trying to do. But let me tell you that I'm not that type of girl who lets her guy hold all of her stuff, even a tiny purse as this."

This time, he chuckled. "I should have known that. It's one of the things I love about you."

You felt your heart do a little relay race in your chest. "And you know what else? Today has been great so far," you added without stammering. "It's not like we've done anything yet, but just talking, walking? It's perfect."

He looked at you shyly. "You mean that?"

You nodded. "100 percent. So please, don't sweat it and just relax, okay?"

"Okay," he said and took your hand in his again, and you started strolling again. Then he said in a voice that seemed like he was talking to himself, "This feels great."

"Hm? What does?"

"Holding your hand, looking at you," he said and trailed off, then he tucked a lose strand of your hair behind your ear, making your heart race once again. "Saying your name." You never knew how sweet your name sounded before he said it with all the adoration he could muster. You blushed and looked away for a second before gathering your courage.

"You know something, Shua oppa?" you said, trying out a nickname. You've always called him either Joshua or Jisoo, but at the mention of a nickname, he smiled wider.

"What is it?"

"I really like you."

He looked surprised, then he chuckled while trying to hide his reddening face behind his hand. Then he said, "But you know what else?"

"What?"

"I like you more."