Jeon Wonwoo

Diamonds in the Rough

"Wonwoo, it's late. Where are you?" you asked your boyfriend over the phone one night because it was already past midnight and he still wasn't home. He was staying over at your place for the mean time because Pledis has given them a week-long break and he wanted to relax. You lived in the Gangnam district, which worked out fine for him.

Consequently, it didn't work at all for you.

Right off the bat you knew something was off because you heard a flirtatious laugh close to his phone speaker. He took a long moment before answering, but when he did his voice was slurred. You could almost imagine the smell of alcohol from his breath.

"Hm... I'll be home soon..."

"Ah whyyy?" came a sticky, sweet voice over the line that sounded suspiciously close. "Dance with me some more."

Seething, you clenched your teeth and said firmly, "Jeon Wonwoo you better hurry home," then hung up the phone.

Wonwoo didn't get home for another hour though, and worse he still had a girl on his arm. Or rather, he was on the girl's arm because he couldn't even stand up straight and he reeked, just as you expected, of alcohol. It was around the third time that week that he had gone to the bar and came home drunk, and it wasn't even Friday yet. It was a wonder that the media hasn't caught anything about this.

"You're the girlfriend of this guy?" asked the girl rather condescendingly. She looked at you from head to toe, obviously judging your oversized-shirt-and-sweatpants outfit. She was dressed to the nines herself with a sequined mini-dress, but then again you weren't the one hanging out in the club.

"Yes I am, and you can go home now," you said huffily as you took Wonwoo onto yourself and closed the door at her face without waiting for a reply. It was rude, but she was also hanging around someone else's boyfriend.

Slinging his arm around your shoulders, you lugged Wonwoo to his room and plunked him onto the bed. You ignored the stench of alcohol and started ing his shirt to change him out of it when he groaned and turned away from you.

"Don't, I have a girlfriend," he muttered.

Your shoulders slumped, and you were relieved and yet confused at his behavior. He gets drunk in clubs and plays around with other girls, but apparently it was all harmless flirting, as harmless at flirting could get. By the end of the day and even in his drunken state, he knows he has you. But even then, why does he play around?

You stayed by his bedside until you fell asleep, but when you woke up the next morning he was gone from the bed. With your side and neck aching from sleeping in such an uncomfortable position, you padded groggily out into the kitchen where you saw him bent over a steaming mug of coffee with his phone in one hand.

"My coffee?" you asked a little too hoepfully, but he quickly dashed them to the ground.

"I made enough for me," he replied tonelessly.

You swallowed down a retort and proceeded to make your own. "Do you have a schedule today?" you asked.

"No, I'm tired."

"Of course you are."

He turned his head sharply to look at you and narrowed his eyes suspiciously. "What's that supposed to mean?"

You lost your cool right then and let og of the teaspoon, letting it clatter noisily against the sink. You turned around to face him and crossed your arms over your chest. "Of coure you're tired. You got home really late last night that I was beginning to wonder if you would be home at all!"

"What's up with you? Have you just gotten your period or something?"

Oh he did not just say that. "'What's up with me?' Well what the heck is up with you?!"

He stood up from his seat and walked angrily toward you, having the audacity to look frustrated, like he did nothing wrong. "What on earth are you on about?"

"Do you even love me anymore?"

He frustratedly messed up his already-messy bed hair. "How can you say that? Just tell me what the heck is wrong!"

You laughed sarcastically at how clueless he was. "What am I to you?"

"You're my girlfriend, damn it! Don't you know?"

"Then what about that girl from the club, huh? The one who brought you home? Who was she?"

He looked at you incredulously. "Who?"

You threw your hands up in their exasperatedly. He didn't even have a single clue as to what he was doing wrong. You turned to leave and muttered, "Never mind, I can't be with you right now."

As you started walking away, he grabbed your hand and asked, "Now you're just going to leave?"

You yanked your hand away from his grip and glared up at him. "What, you'll tell me I can't? I don't tell you to not go to clubs, do I?"

But before you could take another step, he reached out and trapped you in his arms. You wriggled in his embrace, but it was like fighting against bound ropes. he had your back against his chest and his nose grazed the crook of your neck.

"Let me go. Let me go right now Jeon Wonwoo!"

"I have no idea what you're going on about," he said in that low, captivating voice of his, only even lower and more velvety because it was his morning voice.

You clenched your fists tightly by your side. "You're really don't know, you jerk? I don't know just what exactly is stressing you out that just being away from the city and--I don't know, being with me?--isn't enough that you have to go drinking and meeting other girls. It's disgusting! What's worse is that I keep waiting for you to get home, always wondering if the next thing that will happen is that you won't be home at all. I hate you!"

He didn't say anything for a long while, but his grip didn't slackem at all. His breathing seemed loud in your ears, and then he said softly, "I'm sorry."

"That's it? 'I'm sorry'? After what you did the whole you, that's all you have for me? You liar."

"Hey, I get now how I'm a jerk, but I've also never lied to you. Not once. I always answer your questions, and I've never kept anything from you."

"And that's suppsoed to make me feel better or something?"

He turned you around to face him at that moment and you met his eyes, those beautiful dark orbs that were a great part in making you fall in love with him in the firs place. To his credit, he looked honestly apologetic, like a child caught in doing something that he thought was okay. Something in his morals got messed up along the way that he thought, as long as he didn't lie, anything he did was permissible.

"I admit not really knowing how to love someone properly," he said slowly. "But you taught me how to. Remember? You loved me first."

You prused your lips and frowned. If this guys thinks he can reel me back in with just those words, he's dead wrong. But he wasn't done yet and kept talking.

"I like you--I like being with you, and I like waking up every morning knowing that I'll see your face when I get up. I can't help wanting to drown out my stress by going to loud places where I don't have to hear my worries crowding in my mind, or drinking till I'm too drunk to remember anything. But for you, I'll stop. Will you give me one more chance? Just one more."

You hesitated. "If I give you another chance, what will become of it?"

"I'll change for you. I'll stop going to clubs. I'll even stop drinking."

"You see, I think that's also something you have to work out. You say you tell me everything, and that's true--but only when I ask. It's like I'm an interrogator, or your mother. I'm your girlfriend, Wonwoo. I want to help you too."

He lowered his head. "That's another wrong thing I do, isn't it?"

"I don't if it's because you don't trust me or you don't think I'll understand what you're going through," you said, and your anger dissipated and you just felt sad. "I'm not an idol like you, but I can try to see things in your point of view. If you need help, I'm here. I'm not a beer bottle or loud music, but I'll listen to you."

He looked at you, and he seemed like a lost puppy. "I'm sorry..." he whispered.

You sighed, half-hating yourself for having such a weak resolve when it came to him. But there's really no helping it--you liked him an awful lot too. You raised your hands and touched his face gingerly.

"I'm going to give you one last shot. But--" and you paused, putting on what you thought to be your strictest face, "--if you ever do something of this sort ever again, you're dead to me."

A smile returned to his faced and he engulfed you in a teddy bear hug. "Yes ma'am. I love you!"

You coudn't help but smile to yourself as well. "You big baby. I love you too."