Choi Seungcheol

Diamonds in the Rough

The concert had just ended and you were on your way out to wait for Seventeen in the restaurant they promised to meet up with you. As the house lights went on, you sat back for a moment and remembered the highlights of the concert. They always gave stellar performances, and the present concert is always better than the one that came before it. You really had to hand it to the Performance team for the endless flow of creative stages.

Just then, you felt your phone buzz in your pocket. With a little luck it had just enough battery for you to answer the call from Seokmin.

"Hey, Seokmin, what's up--"

"Noona, come to the waiting room. Hurry!"

You sat up at once. Seokmin was speaking in a hurry, and there was urgency in his tone. "Why? What's wrong?"

"Seungcheol hyung collapsed just as we came in here and we can't wake him up. We called for medics, but we thought you needed to know too."

But you never heard the rest of his message. You quickly gathered your belongings and hurried backstage. It was gruelling work to get through the crowds, and even the guard had to see a backstage pass before he let you in--luckily you kept a permanent one in your wallet at all times. By  the time you got to Seventeen's waiting room, you were flustered and more worried than you were when Seokmin called you.

After a knock, Seokmin himself answered the door. The worried crease on his brow only made your worries worse.

"Where is he?" you demanded.

"Over here," he said, and led you to the couch where Seungcheol was lying. You hardly noticed the members all crowded around him and only had your eyes on his form. He looked paler than usual, which was already saying a lot. His lips were dry and chapped, and they were parted as his breathing was uneven. You knelt by his side and felt his forehead, and his skin burned feverishly against your palm.

"Yah Choi Seungcheol..." you muttered as you tried to check for his responsiveness and rouse him, but his head just lolled to the side as you shook him by the shoulders. Your movement became harder, more alarmed; no amount of first aid training could ever prepare one for the panic of trying to resuscitate a loved one.

"Aish why are you like this... Snap out of it. Get up!" When he still wouldn't respond, you turned to the boy closest to you, which happened to be Seungkwan. "Seungkwan, get me some water."

"Yes noona," he responded immediately and got up to fetch water while you lightly slapped Seungcheol's face. You were getting more panicked as the moments passed by that you forgot to wonder where the medics they called for went.

"Yah..." you said in a soft voice. "Why are you doing this to me... Wake up, Cheol... Cheol... Oppa--"

Suddenly, his hand shot up and grabbed your wrist just as you tried to slap him again, and his face broke out in a smile as his eyes remained closed.

"I was waiting for that," he said softly, and only then did his eyes crack open.

You yanked your hand back harshly in annoyance as a wave of both anger and relief flooded your senses--but your anger was louder. "You were joking? I was worried for nothing, damn it!"

Seungcheol just took your hand in his again and his smile turned cheeky. "I'm really okay, just a little tired is all. Were you worried a lot?"

"Nope, not at all," you snapped and pulled at your hand, but he wouldn't let it go. "Let  go. I said let go!" You pulled until your hand slipped away from his grip, which hurt your wrist slightly. Neverthelss you stood up huffily and glared accusingly at the other boys. "Were you guys in on this?"

Almost all of them shook their heads, and even Chan squeaked, "No, noona!"

You turned to Seungcheol with a piercing glare and said in a low voice, "I hate you." With that you walked away, slamming the door on your way out. You didn't see Seungcheol get up from the couch looking absolutely sheepish and regretful. Jihoon, who was in on the whole thing along with Jeonghan, shook his head and whistled.

"You're so dead."

"I did tell you it was going to be a bad idea," added Jeonghan.

Seungcheol picked up a pillow and threw it at them. "Shut up."

--

You hurried out of the waiting room and out of the building, anger bubbling in your stomach. That block-headed idiot, see if I don't talk to him for a month! Suddenly you were yanked back when someone pulled your hand. Fearing a robber, you raised your fists to defend yourself.

"Woah don't hit me."

You looked up at your "attacker" and scowl crossed your face. "I ought to."

Seungcheol let go of your hand and looked sheepish. "I'm sorry, you know I'm joking."

"Well don't you think that maybe you joke too much? Maybe I have no idea of what actually goes on in that practice room to be able to tell if you're well or not? I worry if you're sick, if you're eating well, if you're not overworking--but you seem to think that joking around with things like that is fine!"

You didn't realize that you've started crying, and when you did, you angrily wiped the tears from your cheeks and turned away from him.

"Hey watch it!"

There was a loud honk, but then you lost your balance as Seungcheol pulled you away from the street and you tumbled onto his chest on the sidewalk. When you opened your eyes, he was glaring at you.

"I get that you're angry at me, but do you need to kill yourself?" he demanded.

You scrambled to your feet and tried to get away again, but Seungcheol pulled you into his arms. You felt stares from passers-by and tried to pull away from his embrace, but he held on to you tightly.

"I'm sorry I didn't think about your worries," he said in a low, soothing voice. "I'm sorry I didn't realize that you were worried. But please don't endanger yourself because you're angry. And please, if you can help it, please don't leave me."

Your curled your fists and felt conflicted as tears started rolling down your cheeks again--because you were really angry, but also because you missed him so much. You let your arms wrap around his waist, and you felt his hands your hair.

And somehow you knew that everything is going to be alright.