The Blind Date

THIS LOVE

 

Eric walked into his favorite cafe. It was nearly dinner time so the elite cafe was filled with many guests, most of them are high class people who is usually have dinner at that place. Eric looked all over the cozy and nice cafe, “Mom, where are you?” He murmured.

 

Out of the blue his mom called him when he still worked at his office. She complained that she was bored at home and would like to have dinner date with Eric tonight. Usually his Mom would asked his brother, Andy to accompany her everywhere, meanwhile Eric as a workaholic would be very busy with his own business. But since Andy lives abroad to take his master’s degree, Eric must gave a little of his time for his Mom, to please his favorite woman that he loves so much. Just like tonight.

 

Eric sat on the sofa, took his phone and called his Mom.

“Mom, where are you?”

“Owh. Eric dear... Well, actually...”

“Yes, Mom?” Somehow Eric felt uncomfortable to hear his Mom’s tone.

“Mmm.. I set up a blind date for you tonight, dear.”

“Mwo? You mean...”

“Sorry, dear... But you’ll have dinner with a very sweet girl. She’s my friend’s daughter. I told you about her before when Andy was here with us on his holidays a couple weeks ago. Do you remember?"

 

Eric looked down and rubbed his eye. “Yeah, yeah... Oh God. Mom...” He sighed.

“Please, Eric. Why don’t you meet her? Besides, you are already there. Please, baby? Oh?”

“Oh God...”

“Please do this for me? Baby...?”

Eric shook his head, “Mom, you know that I hate things like this.”

“Please dear.. Just once? Oh? Eric..?”

“Ahh.. Arasso, arasso. I’ll meet her. But only this time.”

“Oh dear. I’m so happy, thank you.”

“This is the last time, Mom.”

“Arasso, dear. Her name is Kim Sena.”

 

Eric sighed, felt uneasy. He looked around, “How will I know this girl... Mom said her name is Kim Sena.”

Suddenly there was someone standing in front of him. Eric widened his eyes when he saw the person. She looks really different, but he still recognized her immediately. Standing after him is a girl with a perfect natural beauty. She wore a simple white dress with a gold braided belt. Her hair was long, wavy and dark brown, falling brilliantly over her slender shoulders. The girl’s face was milky white, with large dazzling chocolate brown eyes and cherry lips. And she has very cute dimples.

 

“Annyeong.” She smiled, waved her hand and looked nervous.

“You... Scooter girl?” Eric stunned. “What is it this time? Didn’t I pay you for the necklace?”

“Aniyeo. It’s not about it.”

“I thought I said I never wanted to see you again. What are you doing here? Oh, God.” Eric's head became dizzy.

 

The girl looked confused, standing there awkwardly. “I’m not here for the necklace.”

“I have plan. You should go.” Eric said coldly. He turned his face away.

The girl sighed. Then she moved slowly, sitting on the sofa in front of Eric.

 

Eric surprised, “What do you think you’re doing?”

“I’m here on a blind date.”

Eric widened his eyes, he couldn’t believe her. “Sit somewhere else then. Ah, forget it. I’ll go.” He sighed and stood right away.

“Wait.” The girl said. “I’m here... to meet you.” She said with an awkward expression.

 

“Mwo?” Eric startled. “Kim... Sena sshi?"

She clucked, “Yes. Eric Mun sshi, right?”

Eric frowned and then he slowly sat back down. “Are you saying you’re Kim Sena sshi?”

The scooter girl nodded twice.

“Cheongmal?” Eric doubted her

 

The scooter girl nodded again, twice.

“Are you my blind date?”

She nodded several time. Eric held his smile, somehow she looked like a puppy. So cute.

“Aish... I must say that this is ridiculous. I don’t know if I can tell this fate. Did you know it was me?”

“Aniyeo. I only found out just now.”

“Really?”

“I only knew when I saw you just now. The name on your name card is Mun Jung Hyuk, my Mom told me that my blind date is Eric Mun. I wouldn’t have come if I had known.” She said nonchalantly.

 

“Mwo?” Eric startled. “Are you really Kim Sena sshi?” Eric doubted her.

“Ye. Wae?”

“My mom said your family is well-off. Why did you want to get refund for the necklace?”

 

Sena startled, “Well... Well, I didn’t need it. So I decided to return it."

“Ah, is that why you waited outside in the rain all those hours?”

Sena seems very nervous. “Well... I did not have any money at that time. Do you think I could get some money from my parent every time I asked? Besides, I don’t need to explain everything I do to you, right?” she babbled in panic.

 

Eric squinted, “But still, it’s weird... I think that amount of money means nothing to you.”

“What? Says who? Every dime is valuable. Don’t you know it?”

Eric was speechless. He amazed by her words, he never thought that Sena could said something like that. He thought Sena was a spoiled child who only know how to use the facilities from her parents.

 

“Alright. Let’s end it right here. We both know how this will end. Let’s tell our mothers that we weren’t each other’s type.” Eric said calmly.

“Arasso.” Sena smiled, looked happy.

Eric nodded.

 

He would stand up when Sena said, “Wait.”

Eric sat back down.

“I’ll pay you back for the necklace. I can’t pay you back right now, but I can’t let you do that.” she said, felt sorry. “So..” And then there was a sound, a very weak sound that obviously came from Sena’s stomach. The girl looked down immediately and held her stomach, whispered something to herself.

 

Eric leaned back in the sofa, “Are you hungry?”

“Ah, aniyeo.” She answered quickly. But the sound of her hungry stomach was heard again.

Eric grinned, “Alright.” He took the menu and opened it.

“Ne? Noo.” Sena shook her head.

“Let’s order something.”

“Waeyo? I thought we were done.”

“We both need to eat, It’s dinner time already and I’m hungry too.”

 

Sena frowned for a while but then she smiled, “Alright. But I’ll pay for the food. It’s for the necklace.”

“Aigoo. Fine, whatever.” Eric shrugged.

“I’ll treat you in another place, it’s too expensive here.” Sena stood up.

Eric frowned. She was a daughter of a rich family but why…

“Let’s go to my favorite’s place. It’s not so far from here.” She walked to the door and Eric followed her.

 

Shortly after, they sat in a small seafood restaurant. Eric had never been in a place like that before. So he raised his eyebrows as he looked all over the place. They sat down on the carpeted floor and they have to take off their shoes before they entered the room.

 

“Wae? Don’t tell me you never eat in a place like this before?”

“No. Never.”

“Mwo? Cheongmal?”

Eric shook his head.

“Yaa. Jinjja…” Sena clucked. “Well, that’s good. There is always a first time for everything. You won’t feel sorry, the food here is very delicious." She grinned and turned her head. “We’d like some spicy squid over here! Don’t skip on the sauce!” Sena shouted. After some time the dishes was served.

Eric stared hesitantly, “What’s this?”

“It’s very delicious. You’ll love it.” Sena take the bowl and she mixed the rice and the spicy squid swiftly. Eric just stared at her, dumbfounded.

 

“Wae?” Sena asked when she realized a strange look from Eric.

“I don’t like spicy food.”

“Hey, you are Korean. All Korean like spicy food.” Sena said with a wide smile, showed her dimples.

Eric shook his head, “Not me. Let’s order something else.”

“You supposed to be a man. You look like you’ve never been through any kind of pain. You should step it up a little.” Sena started to eat again.

 

Unwillingly Eric tried to eat, but it was not long after he felt the spiciness and drink lots of water.

Sena stared at Eric's red face, his handsome face was wet with sweat.

“Excuse me. I need more water.” Eric said to the waiter.

“You don’t like it?”

“It’s way too spicy. I can’t feel anything in my tongue.” He said, felt so annoyed.

 

“That’s because you are not eating it right.” Sena said with a smile. “Here.” She took Eric’s bowl and filled it with rice, spicy squid and some side dishes and then mixed it. “Like this. This is how you’re supposed to eat it. Try it.” She placed the bowl in front of Eric. “Come on…”

 

Eric sighed, he took the spoon and eat again. Tried his best to ignore the piercing spicy taste.

“What do you think?” Sena stared at him with a smile. “Eat slowly, this is very tasty.” Sena fanned Eric’s handsome face with a clean napkin. “That’s the best way to eat this dish. Maybe you will feel a very spicy taste at the beginning but if you keep eating, it won’t feel that spicy anymore.” The smile never leaved from Sena pretty face and she kept on babbling as they ate.

 

Eric didn’t say a word, he just stared at Sena who also kept fanning his full of sweat face.

 

After finished eating and they about to leave, Eric confused because he couldn’t find his shoes.

“Hey, don’t act like that. I said I’ll pay for the food. Don't worry..." Sena chuckled.

“No, I’m serious. My shoes are gone.”

“Ah, really?” Sena helped him to look for his shoes. "They are black, shinny black, right? Ah, those shoes must be very expensive."

 

“I’m sorry, Sir. It seems our regular customer took your shoes by mistake.” Said Ahjuma, the restaurant owner.

“Ah, do you mean the man who just went out before?” Sena ran to chase the man but then she came back.

 

“Did you find him?” Eric asked.

“No. He’s already gone.”

“Yaa..” Eric sat and tsk-ed.

“Don’t worry, Sir. He’s our regular customer. I’ll keep your shoes when he comes back here tomorrow.” Ahjuma said.

“Ah, thank you very much.” Sena nodded.

 

“Meanwhile, maybe you could use these.” With a smile of her face, the ahjuma gave a pair of purple slippers to Eric.

Eric stupefied, but then he said thank you to the ahjuma.

 

Eric walked awkwardly with the purple slippers on his feet. He his hair, bowed his head.

Sena ran to chase Eric, “Hey, wait for me. I’ll go with you.”

“Did you bring me here on purpose to annoy me? Oh, is it because I made you waiting out in the rain? Is it why you brought me here of all restaurants?” Eric looked upset.

Sena shook her head, “That’s not like what you think. I didn’t know this would happen.”

 

Eric looked around and felt embarrassed. “I bet you’re having a real laugh.” He said as he walked again.

Sena touched Eric’s wide shoulder, “I’ll walk with you to the parking lot.”

 

Eric startled when he saw Sena’s feet, she wore the same purple slippers like him. He stared at her eyes, asking in silent.

“I didn’t want you to be embarrassed. I asked for one more pair.” She showed him a plastic bag with her shoes in it. “I thought it’d be better if I wore the same slippers with you. People might think it’s a new trend.”

Eric stupefied once again, stared at the long haired girl.

“You never know, no one has to find out.” She said with a cute expression. “Let’s go. That way?” She said as she pointed with her finger. Eric couldn’t help but chuckled and walked side by side with Sena.

 

Eric got in to his expensive sport car, he sighed. Then he put his seat belt.

“You’ll get your shoes back for sure. I’ll check to the restaurant every day.” Said Sena who’s standing near the car window. “Eric sshi, don’t worry. I already gave my phone numbers to ahjuma. She will call me when she has your shoes back. And I will take them to you.”

 

Eric turned his head to Sena, but not saying a word. Just gazed her in a very cool way.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know that you hate spicy food. To be honest, the squid was really spicy, even for me.” She said with a smiling face.

 

Eric didn’t say a word and kept his poker face. And he started to run his car.

Sena continued to smile, walked slowly as Eric’s car moved and leaved her behind. She was waving her hand.

 

Eric glanced at the rearview mirror, Sena was still waving her hand.

“Ahh… that girl is weird.”

 

The scooter girl walked slowly as she followed Eric’s car, and she stopped when the car turned and faded away from her sight.

“Wuoohh… he’s really cool.” She whispered and got the shiver.