The Proposal

THIS LOVE

The Proposal

 

Seyoung stared at Dongwan with unreadable gaze.
"Dongwan sshi, I don't think we could meet again very soon since you are very busy."
"Ne? Oh no, don't worry. I can make time for you." He replied quickly.
Seyoung smiled. "If you allow me, I'm gonna ask you something. I really hope you wouldn't mind to listen first."
Dongwan frowned. "OK. What is it?"
"My halmoni is detected having an ovarian cancer."
"Mwo? Ah, so sorry to hear that." Dongwan was surprised by the news.
"Ye. Thank you. I was shocked too. I mean.. She's my only family. You know, my parents were passed away since I was 12. So..."

No, he didn't know that. Dongwan knows nothing about Choi Seyoung. Somehow he felt some regrets for never try to find out about Seyoung. And now he saw her teary sad eyes. Her big brown bright eyes were full of sorrow and he felt sorry to see that.

"Gwencana?" He asked softly.
"Ne. Gwencana. I just..." Seyong seemed to calm herself for a moment. "Sorry.."
"No. It's OK." Dongwan handed over a tissue.
"Thank you." Seyoung took a deep breath before she continued talking. "Her cancer is in the late stage and there's nothing we could do about it. Because of her age and all the risk. Her doctor predicted that she only has 6 months to live." Tears were flowing down on her look like porcelain cheeks. "Excuse me.." She wiped away her tears with the tissue.

Dongwan was speechless. Tongue-tied.

"We keep this as a secret from uri halmoni. We don't want her to feel worried and make her condition worse."

Dongwan still silent, he was really surprised to hear Seyoung's story. "I.. Oh, God.. I'm really sorry."
Seyoung nodded. "In the remain of her life, I really want to make my halmoni happy. And I really need your help."
"Mwo? How can I help you?" Dongwan confused.

Seyoung looks a little bit pale, her hands were shaking. She said softly, "My halmoni really wants me to get marry soon. And... And she wants me to marry you, Dongwan sshi."

Dongwan was startled. God... He gulped.

"What did you say?"
Seyoung stared at him. "I ask you, no... I beg you to marry me for the sake of my halmoni. Please?"

Dongwan stayed still, looked closely at the girl in front of him. A hopelessly heart broken Seyoung with tears on her pale cheeks. She asked him to do what?

"It's only for six months. Latest. I know it sounds crazy but... this is the only way I know, to make her happy for the last time and make her feel easy to leave me for good."
Dongwan said no word, his eyes on hers.

"We don't have to marry like a real couple. I mean... You could have your private life and... things will be the same for you. It's just a status, for me. We could keep the marriage from the public if you want too. I can tell my halmoni that you are not allowed to be marry base on your contract with some movie projects or...." Seyoung tried her best to convince him "So we will do it secretly. Ye? Can we do that?"

Dongwan cleared his throat, and drank his mineral water. Seyoung stared at his handsome face without a blink.

"Why me?"
"Oh? It’s because... You know that we used to be arranged by our grandfathers. My halmoni wants to realize my grandfather's wish. And... she really likes you a lot. She’s your big fan."
Dongwan chuckled. "Okay. Why don't you ask me whether I have a girlfriend or not?"

Seyoung stupefied, "Ne? Do you have a girlfriend?" Her pretty face turned pale. "Oh. I never thought about that... But you can keep the relationship with your girlfriend, I wouldn't mind. Within 6 months we will split up and you can marry your girlfriend."
Dongwan stared at Seyoung in disbelief. "Mwo?!"
"Please. I'm hopeless..."

He clucked. "This's our first date and you ask me to marry you." He cleared his throat. “Do you propose me?”
She nodded. "Ye. But we just need to pretend to..."
"But still, it's a marriage, right?"
Seyoung lowered her head, "You don't wanna do it, don't you?... I just... ottoke.." She looks so devastated.

Dongwan sighed. "Let me think about it first."
"Cheongmal?" A wide smile appeared on Seyoung's beautiful face. And Dongwan must admitted that he fascinated to see her beauty. "Kamsahamnida." She bowed her head repeatedly.
"Hey, I said I will think about it."
"Ye. I know. Please think about it well. Please..."

Dongwan chuckled once again, he couldn't help but laugh to see a sudden change of Seyoung's expression. She looks so happy now, it's like there are stars in her big brown eyes.
"You... ahh. Jinjja." He can't stop smiling.

And Dongwan never knew that Seyoung was mesmerized to see his handsome smiling face. She has no idea about what Dongwan had in mind. But Seyoung was determined to achieve her dream, no matter what. And she was shaking like she was frozen.

 

..................

 

When Dongwan arrived at home, his mom immediately bombarded him with many questions.

“How was the date? She’s so pretty, right?”

“She’s just plain.” He answered coldly. And he was lying. Choi Seyoung is like an angel!

“Yaaa. You hang out with actresses too often, so you have a high standard. But Seyoung’s beauty is natural, she never goes under the knife.”

“Really? I don’t know about that. Omma, do you know that her halmoni is sick?

“Mwo? Her halmoni is sick?!”

“No, no. I mean she’s old and you know... The illness of the elderly.” Dongwan decided not to tell the truth.

 

“I really hope you would try to have a relationship with Seyoung. She’s such a sweet girl. I like her a lot.”

“So you should marry her, omma...”

“Yaa.. This boy.” She hit her son's back affectionately.

Dongwan chuckled.

 

..........................

 

“What? What did you say, hyung? Are you going to get married?” Andy startled after he heard Dongwan’s story.

“Ye. She proposed me.”

“Ah, jinjja...”

"But like I said, it’s only a fake marriage. Just to help Seyoung sshi. She wants to make her halmoni happy for the last time.”

Andy still dumbfounded. “Hyung, are you sure about this? I mean...”

“At first I was not sure, but I feel sorry for Seyoung sshi. I can relate to her, I love uri halmoni so much too. Maybe if I was in her shoes, I would do the same thing.”

 

Andy chucked, “Ah Dongwan hyung... You are really a nice person. But it’s not like you are going to climb a mountain or playing ski in Alaska. It’s a marriage, for God's sake!”

“Well, I believe it’s like another form of an interesting adventure.” He grinned. “It’s only for 6 months.”

“And how about your girlfriend, Song Hyorin sshi?”

“I broke up with her.”

“But as far as I remember, you’ve broken up like... million times with her? What if she wants to come back with you?”

“No problem. Seyoung said I can continue the relationship with my girlfriend, if I had one.”

 

“Ah... Jinjja... This is so weird.” Andy shook his head.

“Don’t worry. Hyorin won’t come back to me this time. I heard she was engaged to a businessman. She has moved to The State and will get married soon.”

“Jinjja? But she just broke up with you. How come? Hyung?” Andy widened his eyes.

“See, people can decide to get marry overnight. If she can do that, I can too.”

“Yaa.. Don’t tell me, you do this to take revenge on Hyorin. Hyung?”

“Wae? I can do as she does.”

“Ah, hyuuung...” Andy sighed. “Waeyo? You don’t have to do this.”

“It’s OK. Beside, I want to help Seyoung sshi too. Don’t worry about me.” Dongwan put his arm around Andy’s shoulder. “Eric hyung told me that you have a girlfriend. Tell me about her.”

“Eyyy... Don’t try to change the subject!”

 

............................

 

Dongwan walked into the large and luxurious Asan Medical Center, he had a lunch date with Seyoung . He still remember how happy Seyoung was when he called and told her, his willingness to fulfill Seyoung's request. The funny thing is, Dongwan feels so happy too. Well, it’s a good sign.

According the information that he got from the receptionist, Dongwan arrived at the door of a large nice office. He could hear a woman’s voice, talking to a man behind the door. He knocked.

 

Seyoung appeared at the door, “You are here. Annyeong.”

“Annyeong. Are you busy?”

“No. Come in, please.”

Then Seyoung introduced Dongwan to a tall handsome man who was in the room.

“This’s my colleague, So Jisub Seonsaengnim.”

“Annyeong.” They shook hands.

“Hi...” Jisub smiled, “And this is...” His eyes stared at Seyoung curiously.

 

“Ah, this is Kim Dongwan sshi.” Seyoung seemed a little bit nervous. “My fiancee.”

“Oh. Fiancee.” Jisub chuckled, kept his eyes on her.

Seyoung looks tense. Dongwan could feel that there is something between them.

“Excuse me, but am I interrupt you? Because I can go back...”

“No, no. We are done. Right, So Seonsaengnim?”

Jisub nodded. “Ye. We can continue our discussion later. Greoum.” He bowed and walked out the room.

 

“It looks like the two of you were talking about something important.”

“Just a discussion about one of our patient.”

“Oh. Is he a Pediatrician too?”

“He’s a Pediatric Surgeon. The best in Korea.”

“Really?” Dongwan smiled.

“Ah, let me change my clothes first. Please wait for a moment.”

“Sure.”

 

Seyoung walked into the restroom. Dongwan looked around her neat modern minimalist style office. There are huge bookshelves that contained many medicine books. Then he walked to her table, there are two frames. The first one is the picture of Seyoung and her halmoni. The second one is the picture of Seyoung with... her medical friends? He could recognize the one who stood beside her. It’s him, So Jisub Seonsaengnim.

“Ahh, I was right... I think they are pretty close.”

 

Seyoung returned, “Dongwan sshi, where do you want to eat?”

Dongwan turned around. Seyoung looks different in that sackdress. She must be touch up her make up and tidied her long hair. There is always be graceful classy aura that radiates from that woman. Sometimes Dongwan was fascinated by her. She’s like a fine work of art, and he admired her.

 

“Dongwan sshi?”

“Oh...” Dongwan approached Seyoung and stood in front of her. “It’s up to you.”

“OK. How about eating my lunch box in the park?”

“Mwo?”

“The weather is good. I made some rice balls and Bento this morning.” She lifted her goody bag. “Do you want to give it a try?”

“Oh. Sure.” Dongwan nodded.

“Let’s go.”

 

They sat on the bench with a big tree behind.

“This is so nice. I like the fresh air here. You can feel the wind and hear the birds singing.”

Dongwan turned to see the girl beside him. She seemed to enjoy the atmosphere in the park.

“Ye. This is good.”

 

And they ate together and talked about their wedding. They agreed to have a simply private wedding. Dongwan was surprised to know how simple Seyoung is. She just wants to get married in the church without any wedding party. But Dongwan thinks their families will hold them a party. Hopefully it will be a small one.

 

“This is good.” Dongwan praised, as he took the rice ball again and again with the chopsticks.

“Glad you like it.”

“Did you make it by yourself?”

“Oh.”

“Woahh... This is really good.”

 

“Dongwan sshi, gomawo.”

“For what?”

“Because you agree to do this. You know, marry me. It means a lot to me. Thank you very much.”

Dongwan nodded. “For 6 months only, right?”

“Ye, 6 months. Do you want to write down an agreement about this marriage so you could feel secure about it?”

“Ani. No need to. I trust you.”

Seyoung smiled. “Okay then.”

“But like I said before, don’t tell my family about this agreement. They would never allow us to do this.”

“Arasso.”

“Good. Ah, does it mean that you will made this food for me for 6 months, right? This is really good...” He said as he chewed the food deliciously.

Seyoung chuckled.

 

Seyoung has no idea that it is her who need to feel secure about this fake marriage, since it’s Kim Dongwan that she faced. The heart breaker Kim Dongwan.