The Sweet Rejection

THIS LOVE

 

“I’m home.” Eric entered his house.

“ERIC! My baby...!” His mom greeted him cheerfully. “Eric-ah, you come home late. So, how’s the date?”

“Hi, Mom. You’re not sleepy yet?” Eric took off his slippers.

“Ah, what are you wearing, dear? Where’s your shoes?” She chuckled.

 

Eric smirked, “Oh, these. Silly, right Mom? Believe it or not, my shoes were swapped when we had dinner at the restaurant.”

“Mwo? How come?”

“Ah... It’s a long story, Mom.”

His Mom laughed again, this time harder. She stared at the purple slippers for a while and then she approached Eric who was sitting on the sofa.

“So, the two of you had dinner together?”

 

“Oh.” The handsome son nodded. “Mom, are you sure that Sena’s father is an important person in the government?”

“Sure. We know her family so well. They come from a respected family, her father is also a well known businessman. They are already wealthy from generation to generation. Just like your Dad’s family. Wae?”

Eric shrugged, “I don’t know... Sena is so humble and modest. She doesn't look like a rich girl at all. I mean...”

“Ah, ya. Maybe she takes after her father. Her father is a very humble and simple man. Many people respects him because of that.”

 

“Really? She’s like her father, I guess.”

“Eric baby... Do you like her?” His Mom’s eyes sparkled when she asked.

Eric laughed, “I want to see her again. And... Let’s see.”

“Ahh, I’m so happy to hear that!”

“Mom, don’t be too excited. I said, let’s see.”

“Arasso. Arasso.” She hugged her baby son so dearly, Eric grinned. “I wish Andy was here. I will set a blind date for him too.”

 

“Aigoo... Mom, he’ll finish his study soon. Please don’t disturb him. A couple weeks ago you kept whining to that poor boy, so he flew from US just to celebrate your birthday here.”

“I wanted my two babies to kiss me at my birthday. Is that too much?”

Eric smiled, his Mom was a real drama queen.

“Andy will come back for good next month. You just have to be patient, Mom.”

“I can’t wait. Next month is too long.” His Mom pouted.

“Aigoo... This silly baby girl.” Eric kissed his Mom’s cheek lovingly. “If you can’t be away from your children, why did you send your two handsome precious sons to America?”

“I didn’t. Your Dad did. And I’m still mad at him because of that.” She folded her two arms on her chest.

Eric chuckled, “Relax, Mom. Andy will be back next month. And Dad already prepared a project for him, he’ll be in charge with the Mall. So please, don’t distract him with girls thing for a while.”

 

“Arasso. Let’s just concentrate on you and Kim Sena sshi.”

“Mooom...” Eric rolled his eyes.

“Baby... I want a grandson from you!!”

“Mooomm!!”

She hugged her son tightly, “Ohh... I miss Andy.”

“I miss him too, Mom.”

..............

 

Eric was lying on his bed, stared at the ceiling. He remembered his date with Sena and smiled. “Aigoo... What a funny weird girl. Ah, I wish Andy was here...”

His cell phone rang, Eric smiled. “Andy ah...” he said to the phone.

..............

 

Eric has been arrived at the parking area of his office building. He turned off the car's engine and grabbed his cell phone. He contacted the scooter girl and waited for some time. “Yaa. Why she didn’t answer the phone?” The handsome man leaved the car and drowned himself in his never ending job at the office.

 

It was already dark and Eric still struggled with number of proposals on his desk. As the leader of the company that produces kitchen set with the international standards, Eric always busy during weekdays. Sometime he had to work overtime and go home late at night. That's why no woman has been able to last long with the workaholic Eric. He’s an idealistic person, his nature is calm and so cool and often misunderstood as cold. Although he was very very handsome and physically so attractive and quite y, but eventually many women were relented because they didn’t have enough confidence to remain on Eric’s side. And even if some of them were stubborn enough and force themselves to attach to Eric, he would not give them a glance and they would be ignored by the handsome full of charisma chaebol.

 

Eric’s cell phone rang. He glanced, his lips curved.

“Hello.”

“Eric sshi. Annyeong.”

“Yaa. Sena sshi. I thought you will never call me back.”

“Mianhe. I was so busy today.”

“Ah yes, I bet you were so busy. You didn’t even have time to make one phone call. I called you in the morning and you call me back this hour.”

 

“Mianhe, Eric sshi. I have a lot things to do.”

“Gwencana. I'm just worried because yesterday I did not take you to your house. Did you get home safely last night?”

“Ne. Gomawo.”

“That’s good.”

 

“About your shoes... Ahjuma called me, she said she has your shoes.”

“Oh. That’s good. So when will you bring them to me?”

“Mmm... Perhaps... Can you pick them up by yourself?”

“Mwo? It’s your fault I lost my shoes. I would never have gone to that restaurant on my own.”

“But... Ah, arasso. Tell me what you want me to do?”

“Ooohh. First, go get my shoes.”

“And?”

“Call me tomorrow for lunch or a bite after work. I’ll tell you what to do next.” Eric said with a wide smile on his handsome face.

 

“Fine. It’s my fault you lost your shoes, so I’ll get them for you.”

“Don’t forget to call me. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Arasso.”

Eric put his cell phone, smiling to himself.

.................

 

The next morning Eric walked into the lobby when his eyes spotted Sena’s figure who was walking out of his office building. Eric immediately chased her while calling her name several time but she seemed to ignore him.

 

“Kim Sena sshi.” Eric said, patting her shoulder.

She turned around, "Oh? Eric sshi?”

“I called you earlier.” Eric said. “Why are you leaving? Aren’t you here to see me?”

“I thought you’d be busy, so I left your shoes to the security post."

 

“Ah, you didn’t even check to see if they were really mine.”

“Ye?”

“Let’s check first.”

“But.. Oh, arasso.”

Sena eventually followed Eric back into the building. The security told them that the package was already delivered to Eric’s office.

“Sena sshi. You have to come to my office.” Eric tried to hide his smile.

Sena pouted, “Ah... Arasso.”

 

“They are yours, right?” Sena asked when Eric opened the package.

Eric nodded.

“Ah, thank God. Well, I leave now.’

“Hold on. This is not enough.” Eric blocked Sena’s way.

“Ye? Wae? I took time out of my busy schedule to do this for you. Besides, I came all the way up here to your office too. You should be thanking me.” She babbled, looked upset.

 

Eric smiled, “Arasso. Mianhe and thank you. But I don’t know what to make of you” Eric frowned. “You looked so awkward when I spotted you outside the building. And now you are yelling at me. I don’t know which is the real you.” He clucked and stared at her with a deep gaze. Sena wore her jeans and blouse as before. Her long and fresh fragrant hair fall beautifully at her back. She looked casual but Eric could see the beauty in her.

 

She looked nervous, “What...? Ah, I should go.” She avoided Eric’s gaze.

“Chakaman. Because you came and brought my shoes here, then I will treat you lunch.”

“Ah, aniyeo... It’s not necessary. Really, it’s okay.” Sena shook her head.

“No. You treated me once and now it’s my turn.”

“Aniyeo. I’m not hungry.”

“It’s lunch time, I bet you're already hungry. Let’s go.”

 

Sena pouted, stared at the man who looks so handsome in his suits.

“Wae? Aren’t you coming? I don’t want to eat by myself.”

She followed Eric’s step eventually.

“What’s that with your pouting face?” Eric grinned. Sena was so cute and he got the shiver. Weird.

.................

 

Eric stared at the girl in front of him, startled. Sena was eating the steak on her plate ravenously. also busied to give comment for the delicious steak as she kept chewing.

“Wuoh. This is very good. When I opened the menu and looked at the price, I thought the price doesn’t make sense. So expensive. But it’s really delicious. But still, the price doesn’t make sense at all.”

 

Eric didn’t say a word, just stared at her then he smiled. “Yaa. I thought you said you weren’t hungry.”

Sena stopped eating for a while, looked back at Eric. “Well, I am not so hungry... But you already ordered this for me. And it’s so expensive. Of course I have to eat this.”

Eric’s smile stayed on his lips, “Ye, ye. I’m happy that you eat well. You seem to like it.”

“Ne. I can eat anything. I think my tongue has its own way of producing flavor”

“What?” Eric laughed.

 

Sena clucked. “Why don’t you eat too? Are you going to continue staring at me while I’m eating?”

Eric shook his head and started to eat, “But I think I will be full just to see you eating.”

Sena laughed but then she pouted, “Wae? Ah, you are mocking me. Jinjja...”

“Aniyeo.” Eric shook his head, couldn’t stop smiling.

 

Ah, Sena really made Eric felt something in his heart.

 

“Sena sshi.”

“Ne?”

“You are like a puzzle. It’s like there are 20 of you in front of me.”

“A puzzle?”

“You should give me time to solve the puzzle.”

“Ne?”

 

“I haven’t been back in Korea that long, I came back here almost one year ago.”

“Mwo? Where did you live before?”

“I studied for my master degree in US.”

“Ahh..” Sena nodded. This man was born with silver spoon in his mouth.

“Ever since I was back here, I started working in my family company. I didn’t have any chance to go to many places here.”

“Jinjja? Ah, that’s too bad. There are a lot of new nice places in Seoul."

“Ye. Do you think is it possible if we....”

“What?”

 

Eric stared at the pretty girl in front of him.

“Perhaps you can give me a tour of the nice restaurants or places? It’ll probably take about a month. It’ll give me time to solve your puzzle.”

“Andwe!” Sena startled. She stood reflexively and accidentally dropped a glass in front of her. Eric got up immediately and helped to dry the wet table.

 

“Gwencanayo?”

“Ne.” Sena nodded and stared at Eric, “What did you say just now?”

“I want you to date me.”

“Mwo?!”

“Ne. What if you show me some nice places in seoul for one month? How about that?”

“Arrrr... Please excuse me, I have to go to the restroom.” She was so nervous.

Eric confused with Sena’s reaction. He drank his mineral water and wiped his mouth.

 

After a while Sena was back to her seat.

“Are you okay?" Eric asked.

The girl looked a little pale. She only nodded.

“I hear you are a designer. How long have you been working?” Eric tried to change the subject since Sena looked uncomfortable with the earlier topic.

“For some time. I work at Ginnie, it’s a garment manufacture. You know it, right?”

“Ya, I know. It’s your family business company, right?”

“Oh.”

 

“You look young. I’m 34, how old are you?” Eric wondered.

“Ne? Oh, I’m 29.”

“Cheongmal? But you look younger than that.”

“Ah, I do my best to look young. That’s the trend these days. There are a lot of cosmetics that can make you look younger.”

“But still it’s a little... In any case, I saw you riding on that scooter before. Don’t your parents dislike that?”

 

“Ahhh...” Sena seemed so nervous.

“Do your parents know that you wandering around with your scooter?”

“M-mwo? Ohhh, that scooter... It’s not mine. Ya, it’s my friend’s scooter. I ride it sometime because I have to deliver the milk.”

“Deliver the milk? Who? You?”

“Ah, I help my friend with her part time job. Delivering the milk.” She bit her lip and then whispered something to herself.

 

Eric dumbfounded as he hear the girl’s words.

“Eric sshi, please don’t tell anyone about the scooter. Oh?”

“Wae?”

“Because... If my parents find out about it, they will scold me and forbid me to go out.”

“So why you do that?”

“To help a friend. A poor friend. Is that reason not enough?”

Eric nodded. “Arasso.”

“Ah, thank you!”

 

Sena was thinking and then she said, “Eric sshi, about the thing that you mention earlier. I’m sorry. I can’t.”

“Oh? You can’t?” Eric stupefied for a while.

“Ye. I’m very busy.”

Eric grinned to hear her reason. “Yaa. We can have a date on Saturday or Sunday. You are off working on weekend, right?”

 

Sena shook her head.

Eric was silent for a moment. It’s the first time in the history that a girl refused to date him. He just couldn’t believe it.

“Did you mean what you said?”

“Ne?”

“You turned down my offer for us to date for another month?”

“Ahhh... Ne. I’m sorry. I have higher standards.”

 

Eric smiled, “Oh? I really want to know your standards.” He folded his arms across his wide chest.

Sena stupefied. Oh God he’s freaking handsome and so cool, mentally she slapped her face after adoring Eric without thinking.

 

“OK.” She raised her hands and pointed her finger as she started to speak, “First of all, I like a man who is gentleman. Second, my man needs to have great manners. Third, I want my man to be rich too. Fourth, I like a successful man. Fifth, I also like a man with a great personality. Sixth, I like man who is strong too. Seventh...” She looked kinda forget. “Seventh...” She was thinking hard.

Eric held his smile, “And seventh, you like a man who find it cute to see girl playing hard to get.” He .

“Aniyeo. It’s not that.” Sena took it seriously. “Seventh, I like a man who are willing to fight for the woman he loves.” She said with a smile on her face, satisfied.

 

Eric nodded. “Oh. I like the sound of that. I can work on that.”

Sena widened her big eyes, “M-mwo?! No... Ah, I also like a man who knows when to walk away.”

“What about a man who knows how to chase a girl that he loves?”

“M-mwo?” Sena rolled her eyes and pouted.

 

They had finished eating and walked out of the fancy restaurant.

“So you really turned down my offer for us to date?” Eric looked at the slender girl beside him.

Sena looked somehow hesitant, “Mianhe, Eric sshi. I can’t.”

“Yaa. How come you judge me that I don’t pass your standards when you don’t know me well?” Eric still tried to win her heart, but Sena just kept silent.

 

“Fine, we can discuss about it this weekend.”

“Ne?”

“I can walk you to your car.”

“No. I don’t bring a car.”

“Oh? So let me drive you to your office.”

“Ah, aniyeo. No need to.” She shook her head.

“No, gwencana. Please.” Eric opened his car’s door for her.

 

“No. I’ll go by myself. And also, I can’t go on a date with you.” She strengthen her heart, "I don’t like you.” She said, louder.

Eric surprised, “You don’t like me?”

“Ne.” She turned away her face as she answered.

“Arasso. You don’t have to shout it out like that. I heard you loud and clear.” Eric closed the passenger’s door. He remained cool and calm, but deep inside he felt so disappointed. “Creoum. Thank you for today.” The tall handsome man bowed and got to his car and leaved.

 

Sena stared at the white sport car with her teary eyes. She bit her lip, held back her true feeling.

“Mianhe... Cheongmal mianhe, Eric sshi... This is the best. We’re not meant to be, anyway. Even though I like you so much...” She whispered weakly.