Strong Reasons

The Support Group
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                                          Mina sits at the back table in the quiet library, her head in her hands as she listens to her mother scold her for the 100th time about why she doesn't have a boyfriend. She begins up her phone, and sighs heavily.

                                          "Mom, I just don't want a boyfriend right now. There's a lot going on at school.", Mina whines into the speaker. Her mother hesitates a moment before asking.

                                          "Mina, are you... interested on boys at all?" Mina's eyes widen before she answers in her most convincing tone.

                                          "Of course Mom. Don't worry. I just want to focus on school that's all.", Mina says assuringly.

                                           "Alright." Mina blows a sigh of relief. Hey mother say a quick 'love you' before hanging up. 

                                           Well Mina wasn't lying. She did want to focus on school. But when school was said and done it wasn't a boy who she wanted to settle down with. It was a girl. Mina was a lesbian. Though she really hated to say it. It was absolutely true. She couldn't lie to herself, but she also couldn't bear to say the truth out loud. Especialy not to her parents. She would break their hearts if she told them. And that's not the kind of daughter she was. 

                                             Mina lays her head down for a few moments, enjoying the quiet and relaxing atmosphere in the library. 

                                             "Seems like you have it rough.", a voice comes out of the blue. Mina jumps in suprise and looks up quickly to find the voice of the intruder. She finds a young looking girl behind her. A stack of books in her hand as she looks curiously at Mina.

                                             Mina nods. "Yeah."

                                              "You know I couldn't help but overhear your conversation with your...mother? She's got quite the voice on her." Mina turns pink in embarrassment. She didn't realize the phone call was that loud. 

                                              "Yeah. It's one of the many good things about her.", Mina chuckles. 

                                              "Yes. Excuse me for me being curious, but did she ask if you're interested in boys?", the girl asked. Mina suddenly found the floor interesting as she contemplates what to tell the stranger.

                                              "Yes, she did. But don't worry I am."

                                               "Why would I worry? If you aren't, that's alright. It doesn't mean there's something wrong with you.", the girl says sincerely. Mina's eyes soften and her heart warms at the strangers words. 

                                                Mina bows her head. "Thank you." The girl hums in response. Mina then begins to turn around in her chair, ready to begin studying, but something stops her. Something tells her she could trust this girl. "I'm not.", she utters suddenly. The girl then turns to Mina again.

                                                 "You're not what?", the girls asks.

                                                "I'm not interested in boys.", Mina states. The girl nods her head.

                                                "It doesn't bother me, honestly. But it seems like it's been bothering you.", the girl says. Mina plays with her thumbs and looks ashamed.

                                                 "I don't want it to. But I can't help but think that i'm disappointing my parents. Being like this."

                                                 "That's okay too. It's going to feel like that for a while, but soon you'll realize it's better to disappoint them, than disappoint yourself." Mina nods, taking the girls words in he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter