Eight

Talk to Me

Mina has her eyes fixed on her laptop, a clipboard on the side and many papers beside it too. She had just submerged herself into work, managing to think of something else other than that scene earlier.

 

Sana kept herself busy playing around her room. Her laughs and squeals heard from upstairs as Mina does her work.

 

Suddenly her laptop were notified for a video call, and it was their mother.

 

"Sana! Get down! Mom's on the line!" She shouts in hope of her sister hearing her from there to her room. It didn't take long for Sana to run downstairs and sit on Mina's lap, not forgetting to bring her favorite plushy with her.

 

Sana surprises their mom with a huge smile on her face before giving out what she calls an 'air hug'. Mina smiles at her sister's silliness.

 

They were exchanging hi's and hello's and asking if they were good and fine. A bunch of concerns was thrown until it got to the point where Mina doesn't even know how they got to that point.

 

"So mom! Mina unnie here has been crushing on someone." Sana grins and Mina internally face palms.

 

"This really wouldn’t stop." She sighs.

 

"Is that true Mina?"

 

"No, mom. Just don't listen to her. Anyway, Sana has school tomorrow."

 

"Oh, and you’re still awake? Sana sleep early, you wouldn't want to be late tomorrow, right?"

 

"Yes, mom. I miss you!" She says enthusiastically before dashing off to her room leaving Mina alone with their mother.

 

"How does it feel like to be a parent for your sister?" Her mother laughs and Mina playfully rolls her eyes before answering, "Terrible."

 

"So... you like someone?" Mina sees her mother wiggling her eyebrows.

 

"No! Not that... it isn't really like that. It's... It's complicated." She huffs out in frustration. Mina recalls what happened earlier and she's sure whatever it is, she didn't like it.

 

"Still hesitating? Mina what are you afraid of? You have a stable job now. A good life. Isn't it time for you to have someone now?"

 

"Mom... you know you and Sana are my priorities right now."

 

"Right, just because you're the eldest daughter you can say that to me now. Mina you've done enough for this family. It wouldn't hurt to like someone."

 

"I know but I just need to assure that everything is fine before you know." Mina looks down at the floor, not ready for the tantalizing gaze her mom is giving her right now.

 

"Everything is fine. You don't have to worry. Ever since your father passed away, you have been taking care of your sister and I and I'm really thankful for that. So? What's the name?"

 

Mina scoffs, "Mother!"

 

"What? Why? Who is she? Tell me."

 

"She's..." Mina looks everywhere but the screen, she's totally unsure if it would be safe to tell her mother this. But of course it is, she's her mother after all.

 

"She's a teacher, and..."

 

"And?"

 

"She's— oh mom, sorry but another email is sent to me by the director. See you soon oh, and by the way when are you coming back?"

 

" I'm going to come back next week. Don't worry you'll not suffer anymore." Her mother grins before waving at her and blowing a kiss at Mina.

 

It was a lie, about their director sending her an email. It's not like she could deny it any further. Mina likes Miss Im. She likes Nayeon a lot. But she doesn't want to know if it's only temporary or not. She doesn't want it to be another game, just someone passing by on her life. Maybe it is just too much for her to admit that she actually likes someone now.

 

It was inevitable, how Mina denied it before realizing she's doomed and was pulled into a hurricane.

 

Mina massages her head before pinching her nose.

 

"I'm in deep trouble."

 

****

 

"Sana? Are you asleep already?" Mina peeks from the door of her sister's room. A small shift in the bed causing Mina to walk near it and seeing the girl was still wide-awake, Mina groans.

 

"Having trouble sleeping?" Mina asks. Sana only nods.

 

Mina sits beside her bed, and sings Sana a lullaby, caressing her sister's head while singing.

 

"Unnie?" Sana says out of nowhere. Mina replies with a small hum. Sana fidgets, looking at her sister, unsure if it's alright to tell her or not.

 

"Do you like Teacher Im too? I don't want my efforts to go to waste if you two don't end up together." Sana pouts, and Mina feels like her heart just jumped at the sight.

 

"Do you want me to like Teacher Im?"

 

"Of course! Teacher Im is kind, she's hard working and she is beautiful too! Like you!"

 

Mina chuckles at this. "Because if you don't move now, someone is going to take Teacher Im away." Sana continues.

 

Mina furrows her brow in confusion. Why is it always me who has to make a move first?

 

"Hmm," Mina uninterestedly says. However, this just triggered Sana.

 

"I'm serious! There's a teacher in the high school department who has his eyes on Teacher Im for a while now. And Teacher Im doesn't want him."

 

Mina crosses her arms at this, "How are you so sure?"

 

"She likes you, so you have to do something now."

 

"Hmm, you gossip a lot." Mina says. Sana blankly stares at her. "I don't have to meddle with her life. It's not like I can do something about it."

 

"You can do something about it!"

 

"Okay, sleep now before the clock hits nine." Mina stands up as she tucks Sana into her bed.

 

"But unnie,"

 

"Goodnight Sana, sleep tight." Mina says before leaving the room. Leaving a pouting and sulking Sana behind.

 

****

 

Nayeon was staring blankly against the wall. It was her only friend what can she do?

 

The silence annoys her. It was nothing new since Nayeon lives alone but she's still not used to it.

 

She'd never been used to it.

 

Nayeon sits on the chair as she ponders with her thoughts. Mina is confusing her. That pretty doctor is really messing with her mind.

 

Nayeon stopped attending her appointments to avoid Mina. Then Mina comes out of nowhere fetching Sana. Nayeon stopped thinking about her. Mina just had to take her home and made Nayeon feel those kind of things.

 

She wants to stop playing this game that they both had set-up. Nayeon is tired of the push and pull that is occurring between them. She badly wants to say her feelings to Mina but Nayeon being the hardheaded that she is, could not. Thinking that Mina is too far from her grasp and for thinking that Nayeon has a chance that Mina actually likes her back.

 

"That would never happen." Nayeon mumbles, resting her head on the table.

 

She recalls what kind of idiocracy she did earlier. She suffered when she took Minhyuk out, just because of their accident. She wished she didn't have to pretend she likes him. She wished she didn't have to pretend to be okay with Mina having a girlfriend.

 

"Are we going through this again?" Nayeon has a habit of talking her way out of her problems. Living alone must have took its toll on her.

 

She sits on the bed, about to sleep when she notices the umbrella hanging on the chair, and she was reminded of that embarrassing moment she had with Mina. She contemplates whether to return the umbrella or just frame it and display it on her room.

 

I sound creepy, gosh. Im Nayeon, what the heck.

 

Whatever, Nayeon needs to return it. Not like, she has any other choice. Then, a heavy feeling starts returning and Nayeon couldn't help but flopped at her bed, trying to dismiss whatever it is.

 

"Oh god. It’s hard falling for someone who will never like you back."

 

****

 

Nayeon starts her day with the usual, waking up early, preparing her things, paper works and whatnots. Coughing here and there because of the damn rain that appeared out of nowhere. (But she kinds of like it too because she had an excuse to end her 'friendly date' with Minhyuk.)

 

Soon enough, she finds herself standing at the usual cafe. Ordering breakfast, finishing it and leaving. Then she speed walks, rushing in between of the crowds on the streets that is unusually occupied at the moment.

 

Rush hour. Nayeon thinks. So early in the morning.

 

Nayeon spots the clinic, tempted to go inside and pretend that everything is normal. It's easier that way, when what Nayeon felt was a just a silly crush. But now is it still just a silly crush? After all that had happened Nayeon isn't sure anymore.

 

She wants to pretend that everything is just as it is.

 

Why can't I talk to her first? she thinks out of frustration, as she stomps, causing the people around to look weirdly at her. Nayeon lowers her head out of embarrassment and dashes forward, ignoring the clinic and everything else.

 

"This is a bad start for a day." She mumbles as she shields herself from the cold and from the embarrassment.

 

****

 

"Jisoo, what are you doing here again?" Mina asks, tired from all the teasing. Ever since yesterday, all they've been talking about was Nayeon, Nayeon, Nayeon. And believe me, Mina doesn't hate it but they had to make it look like she had to be the first one to confess. Of course, she doesn't like to be pressured into doing things. She believes things happen naturally.

 

"Why? Don't you want my presence blessing you my dear friend? Also, I still have to fix the relationship between you and that girl. Don't tell Jennie, okay but that teacher is pretty cute." Jisoo grins as she sees Mina shortly lose her breath before looking at Jisoo as if she's ready to murder her.

 

"Okay, calm your jealous rage I just think she's cute. But not cuter than Jennie. What's her name again?"

 

"Im Nayeon." Momo answered instead after seeing Mina frozen in despair, wishing her friends will not stir trouble.

 

"I’m not jealous. Don't you have work or anything?" Mina, annoyed, asks in a way to change the subject.

 

"Mina, I'm a nurse. My father owns a freaking hospital. I've been working my off for years and finally have my desired break. So the answer is, no I don't have work to do. And yeah, keep on pretending you’re not jealous Mina."

 

"Momo." Jisoo calls.

 

"Yes?" Momo looks up from her desk as Mina takes in a patient and leaves the room for a moment, glaring at her friends before leaving.

 

"So because we're so kind and we're very good friends of our dear friend Mina. We're going to mess with her love life to push her to confess! Yay!" Jisoo slings an arm around Momo.

 

Momo snorts, "Believe me. I tried that before but you can't persuade Mina when she’s determined to avoid something. Shouldn't you clear things out with Nayeon first?"

 

"I heard you guys. And whatever it is you're planning please just stop." Mina deadpan says as she emerges out of the room. Startling both Jisoo and Momo.

 

"God! Stop appearing like you're a ghost." Jisoo then turned to Momo, "Can't believe pretty teacher fell for this person."

 

"I heard that as well."

 

"Oh shut up."

 

****

 

The kids had been a messed and Nayeon doesn't know if she should laugh or cry now that they've been raging around. All she ever did was teach basic Math and now they've been sprawling around the room.

 

This is a mess. Nayeon thinks.

 

Unbeknownst to her, in the corner, three children were conspiring with each other. Planning as if there life depends on it.

 

"Okay, so I had a very serious talk with my sister last night." Sana says as she spreads a piece of paper on her table. Dahyun and Tzuyu snuggled together, listening intently to what Sana is about to say.

 

"So I'm tired watching my sister and Teacher Im beat around the bush, it's so frustrating watching them near each other and Teacher Im suffocating whenever she's an inch away from my sister, and my sister denying what she feels when it is so obvious." She said, with passion burning in her eyes. Dahyun and Tzuyu could only nod.

 

"So what do you plan on doing?" Tzuyu asks, hugging her cow stuffed toy that she found somewhere in the room.

 

“Why are they beating the bush?” Dahyun innocently asks. But only silence was answered to her question.

 

Sana then grins, "Okay so my sister is a doctor and what do doctors do? They treat sick people, and Teacher Im might be feeling under the weather so do you know what that means?"

 

“No. what does feeling under the weather means?” Dahyun asks. Sana sighs before answering.

 

“It’s when you feel sick or blue.”

 

“Isn’t blue a color? Why would you feel it?”

 

“You’re right…” Sana huffs, as realization hits her. But she shakes her head, focusing her attention to their plan.

 

“So, we’re going to make Miss Im rest for a while, and it looks like she really needs it.” She says, eyeing the two with intense desire and burning passion that she knows her plan would work. Dahyun and Tzuyu grins, every second passing their smiles growing and Sana could think she's the best sister ever, with her imaginary evil laugh and imaginary—

 

"Unnie?" Dahyun worriedly asks, seeing Sana too engulfed with her own role that she laughs out of nowhere nervously.

 

"Okay, let's start."

 


Can’t believe minayeon are so oblivious with each other’s feelings that it took three children and two adults forming a plan to get them together.