Thirteen

Talk to Me

 

“Please say something. You've been silent for the past 20 minutes that we're together.”

 

“...”

 

“...”

 

“I'm sorry it's just that. It's unbelievable. I didn't know things would lead to that but anyway,” Jeongyeon sighs, looking helplessly at Nayeon who has been clutching the pillow to her face for a while now.

 

“Look, did Mina ever say something to you after you… you accidentally said that you love her?”

 

Even with her face covered, Jeongyeon could still see how obvious the blush is on Nayeon's face.

 

“I don't know. I panicked. Then before I knew it, I was running away. I didn't hear what she has to say and obviously she can't go after me because she's carrying Sana. And I didn't mean to say I love her in the middle of nowhere. I just really don't know what happened.” Nayeon mumbled all in one go. Face still stuck on the pillow and she's been rolling in her bed for the past minutes.

 

“If you really didn't want to let her know you could've twisted your words. What you said to her can be interpreted in a lot of ways.” Jeongyeon crosses her arms, looking at the ceiling.

 

She came as soon as Nayeon called, desperate to come as fast as she can. She was sweating as soon as she arrived only to find Nayeon looking dead in the couch. After telling her everything here they are.

 

“But you didn't want to. You wanted to let her know in that moment. If you didn't run then you wouldn't be so worried and anxious about seeing her again. You should give her a chance to hear what she has to say.”

 

Nayeon finally sits up, throwing away the pillow as she frowns. “I'm not ready to be rejected. What if she doesn't feel the same? Just when we were about to get closer I had to say that and ruin everything. This is unbearable. I'm so reckless.”

 

Jeongyeon looks back at the times Mina and Nayeon interacted. Sure, it is definitely not one sided. Mina also has feelings for her. But what was she so afraid of? Also, Nayeon is too dense and oblivious to see how Mina looks at Nayeon like she's the whole world. Jeongyeon sighs, what if I lock them together in a room and let them sort out whatever they have to do?

 

“I'm so stupid,” Jeongyeon sees Nayeon hitting her head with the pillow. “Stupid, stupid, stupid.”

 

“Hey,” Jeongyeon coos. “Stop it. You're not stupid. It's not stupid to tell someone what they feel. If you could just talk to Mina about this I'm sure—“

 

“I can't! I think I'll go mad if I ever see her face again. I cannot withstand the shame seeping through my veins while she laughs at me.” Nayeon whines, earning another groan from Jeongyeon.

 

“You're so oblivious. So dense, so dense.” She shakes her head. “You know if you weren't so whiny in this situation I would really laugh at you but being the good friend that I am I won't.”

 

“Is Jihyo still coming?” Nayeon asks out of nowhere, eyes almost teary and crystalline. This time Jeongyeon really laughed, clutching her stomach. Nayeon glares at her, feeling helpless with what she's feeling.

 

“Yep, she is. I still can't believe you're the same Nayeon who confessed to Mina with all the courage she has in front of her sister.”

 

“Oh god, Sana was asleep, and don’t laugh at me! I'm going to take a shower to clear my thoughts.”

 

Jeongyeon watches as Nayeon's shoulder slumped while walking away. Definitely, their plan did go as planned but not in the way she's expecting it to.

 

 

****

 

 

 

Why am I so stupid? Nayeon asks for the umpteenth time in the bathroom. She's been busy staring at her reflection the moment she entered. She wonders, why she couldn't keep shut, why she had to act out of impulse and why did she run away after saying she loves her. Now Mina probably thinks she's stupid and weird for all those things.

 

 

°

 

“What?” Nayeon freezes as soon as Mina halted her steps. Nayeon walked backwards, trying to distance herself from Mina who still did not moved an inch.

 

“What?” Now, Nayeon thinks she's doomed.

 

Mina turns around and Nayeon wishes she didn't. Mina wouldn't have to see a mess that is Im Nayeon.

 

“Nayeon what did you say?” Mina's voice is clear as if trying to assure something. Each time Mina takes a step forward, Nayeon takes a step backward

 

Nayeon fidgets with her hands, looking everywhere but Mina. The atmosphere around them became thick and too tense and Nayeon couldn't breathe all of a sudden. Words are suddenly stuck in , unable to say anything that makes sense.

 

“I… uhm, this is why I love your dedication?” Nayeon almost wanted to face palm right in front of Mina. It came out like a question and it sounded more like she’s convincing herself, actually.

 

“Are you sure?” Mina looks intimidating and Nayeon just wants to melt. The cold suddenly entering her skin and chills were invading her body. She needs to get away. She really needs to breathe for a second.

 

“I-I need to go. I have things to do I remembered I left back at home.” Nayeon rushes to get away, running in the opposite direction not minding Mina shouting her name.

 

 

°

 

 

 

“How do I face Sana after this?” Nayeon rests her forehead on the mirror. She sighed, her breath blurring the mirror and she closes her eyes.

 

She should've brought a packing tape to shut up.

 

 

 

****

 

 

"You're telling me, Nayeon unnie said she loves you while I'm asleep?"

 

Mina nodded, not batting an eye towards her sister.

 

"AND I WAS ASLEEP WHY DIDN'T YOU WAKE ME UP?" Sana stomps her way towards her sister but all she gets is a very soft 'I don't know' and a small shrug of the shoulders.

 

"Come on unnie. Don't you think it's time to admit you love her too?"

 

“Love is a big word, Sana. And why are you acting like you're older again? Go play in your room.” Mina rests her head on her hand, her mind now flying and not focusing on the article she’s reading on her tablet. Sana turns around, that stupid grin is still on her face, really enjoying her sister suffering.

 

I didn’t know having feelings for someone would be this hard.

 

Mina was beyond confused right now. She tried to avert her attention somewhere but it’s all going back to what Nayeon said. She is scared, this feeling is new to her and she doesn’t have any idea what to do. She tried dipping herself to work but her mind isn’t even properly working.

 

This is why I love you. It keeps on repeating and Mina thinks she’s about to go crazy any minute now.

 

Suddenly there is a knock on their front door, waking Mina up who is still deep in her thoughts. She thought she could finally have peace and try to forget what happened but really now?

 

“I came as soon as I heard.” Momo said dashing inside their house, not even waiting for Mina to welcome her. Jisoo walked slowly, smile slowly growing and Mina wants to kick the living daylights out of her two friends.

 

“I didn’t tell you anything?” Mina turns around, confused.

 

“Oh. What she means is that she came as soon as your date ended.” Jisoo enters and sits beside Momo, with Mina trailing behind her. She sits down, across her friends, and heaves a sigh. Looking up, Mina sees both her friends eagerly looking at her.

 

“I know you girls planned this.” Mina starts and Momo nods furiously, earning a slap from Jisoo.

 

“Yeah, I think it’s enough for us to see you two keep denying what you feel each other. You don’t know how much the people around you are suffering watching you avoid it like some bee.” Momo said looking at Mina whose mind is probably flying somewhere. Mina is definitely not listening.

 

“I think you got what you wanted to happen,” They stopped whatever it is they’re doing when they heard Mina speak again. “Nayeon said she loves me.”

 

Silence enveloped them for what Mina feels like, an eternity.

 

“Whoa, l-let me take a minute to process this.” Momo stands up, pacing around the room as she massages her head from what she just heard. Jisoo stayed in the couch, open-mouthed with whatever just happened.

 

Soon, Momo came back to her seat and exhaled heavily. “NAYEON SAID SHE LOVES YOU?!”

 

Mina jumped back, eyes wide at the sudden behavior of Momo. “W-well yes, kind of?”

 

Jisoo laughs all of a sudden. “I can’t believe… after all the coaxing we did to you, it was actually Nayeon who’ll confess first. This is crazy.” She shakes her head; the information is too overwhelming for her to accept.

 

Then think about what Mina is feeling right now.

 

Both Jisoo and Momo worries about the unusual silence their friend gives. Yes, Mina is quiet and that’s natural for her but this kind of quiet isn’t really her which is starting to bother them. “Then why are you frowning?”

 

“I really don’t know what to say?” Mina looks at her palms. “I don’t know what to do after that. She ran away as soon as she told me and it feels like she’s regretting whatever she did. I don’t know this is too overwhelming and my mind keeps on replaying that I think I’m going crazy.” Mina leans back and rests her arm on her head. She isn’t even sure what she feels at the moment. Isn’t this what she wants? Or is she still trying to sink in what happened?

 

“I know you’ve been avoiding the topic of love for like years, Mina. Don’t you think it’s time to have someone? Love isn’t supposed to be this stressful you just have to enjoy the feeling. You’re scared because the feeling is new to you. You didn’t even feel this with Chaeyoung. And if you think Nayeon is regretting it, she might be because of your reaction. What did you tell her after that?” By this time, Jisoo already feels like a love expert.

 

“I called her name but she kept running. I didn’t go after her. My feet feels like they’re stuck on the ground and nothing makes sense in my mind at that time.” Mina frowns. That confession really came out of nowhere.

 

“Give her time. I’m pretty sure her heart exploded when she said that. I mean confessing isn’t easy, Mina. You never had to worry about that since back then you’re the one who is always getting confessed to.” Momo says trying to assure her friend worried to the bones.

 

“Come on Mina! Smile a little. This is supposed to be a celebratory event. Nayeon finally confessed! You two are on a different level now.” Momo stands up and goes over to their fridge to find something to drink.

 

Jisoo placed a hand atop Mina’s, and Mina looked at her. “You shouldn’t worry too much. Really, this is bothering me. You should be happy. You keep on letting the negativity get into you. Nayeon’s a pure fluff of sunshine and deserves love. Don’t you think you deserve it too?”

 

 

****

 

 

Mina tried calling her, but to no avail, she wouldn't pick up. What's even worse is that, whenever she goes and gets Sana, how late or early she comes, there is not a single sign that miss Im Nayeon is there, even Sana wouldn't even talk about it.

 

Until a week passes, and Mina is about to give up.

 

She doesn't even know why she is so worked up with this, and really, Mina is the one who is supposed to be hiding?

 

“No matter what I do. She ignores me. I call her. Ignored. I text her. Ignored. I try to see her. Ignored. This is useless.” Mina says, arranging the files of the patients she's about to enter the rooms to.

 

“Still not a sign? And a week already went by?” Jisoo says over the phone.

 

“Yes, I'm starting to think she just really wants to mess with my mind.”

 

“Come on Mina! Nayeon did the confessing you do the explaining.”

 

“It doesn't work like that! God this is making my head painful than it already is. I'll see you around. Bye.”

 

She was extra busy today since she couldn't go to work tomorrow. Their mother is, fortunately, arriving and Sana couldn't wait to see her again, Mina too.

 

“Seulgi! Did you do the rounds in the third floor already?”

 

“Not ye, Doc Kim said he’ll do it. I don’t know if it’s done yet, though.”

 

 

****

 

 

“Is someone absent for today?” Nayeon asks, looking around her classroom. She feels someone missing but she couldn't quite place it. She sees Tzuyu raise a hand and ushered her to say it.

 

“It's Sana, teacher. She's absent.”

 

“Oh. Why is that?” Nayeon would be lying if she said she wasn't worried. The kid is always present and this is the first time she’s been absent.

 

“I don't know teacher,” Dahyun and Tzuyu said in unison. All the children looking at them.

 

“Well then, we’ll just keep them informed. As you know school fair is going to happen next week. Starting on Monday, various activities will be held and of course, your presentation to your parents. You practice all of that now, correct?”

 

All the children answered all together, “Yes!”

 

"After the event, your parents are free to roam the school and check the things you've been doing. Certainly they will be proud of you. You did a good job all throughout this week."

 

Another yes, another cheers.

 

The children went home already, and Nayeon finds herself in a daze walking back to the classroom to prepare for the gallery.

 

She didn't mean to avoid Mina, she didn’t realize a week passed already. She is just too busy with the school fair giving her no free time to have a break. (That could be true, but if Nayeon had a choice she'd still avoid the said girl.)

 

She is too worried of what they would become if they talk, Nayeon couldn't bear a heartbreak, it's been too long when this was just a silly crush, too long for her admiration to Mina to be gone just like that. She wasn't ready, she supposes. Feeling guilty of what she’s doing. She keeps her calm for whatever is about to come.

 

 

****

 

 

“Mum!” Sana went running as soon as she saw her. You couldn’t blame her not when she was bored to death waiting for what felt like an hour in the airport with nothing to do but stare at people and watch as they go in and out of the place.

 

Mina followed briefly, hands in the pocket of her coat as she greets their mom with a smile.

 

“Oh goodness, it felt like eternity when I last saw you two.” Their mom hugged them both tight earning a groan from Mina and a chuckle from Sana. “Still whiny.” She ruffles Mina’s head and proceeds to carry Sana. Mina helps with the luggage and soon they were in the car, heading home.

 

Sana immediately fell asleep as soon as they hit the road. Mina drives the car, yes, she has a car but more of giving it to her mom instead, with an arm propped on the window.

 

“I hope you do realize I notice all the glances you’ve been giving me. What is it?” Mina asks, because truly, her mother is stealing glances in the whole duration of the drive and Mina would lie if she says she’s not bothered by it.

 

“You’re not going to tell me about it?” Her mother raises a brow.

 

“What?”

 

“Your girlfriend?”

 

“Mom!” This earned a giggle from her mother. She came here to have a peace of mind. Since Nayeon didn’t want to see her then okay. It’s fine, she can handle it. As long as she doesn’t remember it. But that’s the problem, she always remember it. Everything she does reminds Mina of it.

 

“What? Why? So tell me who is she?”

 

“She’s not my girlfriend and it’s kind of complicated. Anyway, why are we talking about me? How was Germany?”

 

Her mother smiled at her, “Changing the subject, huh? Anyway it was fun. I learned lots and it’s so beautiful Mina. Someday we should go there.”

 

Her mother talked endlessly about her experiences there and Mina smiles, feeling her chest swell with the familiar warmth now that she’s here again.

 

“I missed you, mom.”

 

“Miss you too, dear.”

 

 

****

 

 

“Myoui Mina! Wake up!” Her mom’s voice echoed in her room. Mina had no choice but to cover her ears with the pillow.

 

What a bad move.

 

The yells were only getting louder, and Mina couldn’t stand it anymore.

 

“It’s better when I was away. You were acting like a responsible adult for once.” Mina bats an eye at this, blinking at the sudden ray of light flashing in her eyes. “I am a responsible adult! And please turn off the lights. I have no work today. I’m begging you mom, I need sleep.” The hoarseness in Mina’s voice, the messiness of her hair, just put on a few makeups and you’d get a pretty zombie.

 

“We’re going away, don’t you remember?”

 

Mina checks her phone, “This early in the morning? Really?”

 

“Don’t you remember? It’s the school fair today. We need to support Sana and watch her, and so I can finally meet Miss Im.”

 

Wait what?

 

The name made Mina jump out of bed, eyes as wide as plates, and she frowns seeing her mother grin at her. “If I only knew that Sana’s teacher was the one who could get you out of bed I would’ve done it a while ago.”

 

“How did you—what? I didn’t say anything.”

 

“You didn’t,” Her mother says staring down at her. “I’m hurt but I know it. That’s all you need to know.”

 

Mina raises a brow, Of course, Sana.

 

“Get your up, we’ll go to that school fair whether you like it or not.” Her mother crosses her arms and Mina huffs, what can she do now. Her mother always have the last say in whatever they do.

 


 

 

hi guys so as soon as I returned I got on aff and I’m just shook, you guys were screaming all over, and as I was reading the comments I can’t help but smile and laugh. You people are the cutest, anyway once again thanks for the comments and everything, it sure does lift my day :D

 

 

P.S. YOU ALL THOUGHT MINA IS THE FIRST ONE TO CONFESS HUH WELL GUESS WHAT MISS IM NAYEON BEAT YOU TO IT