Chapter 19

Catching Feelings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Episode 19

 

Her feet stayed rooted on the ground as her body froze. Her gaze trembled when they were clouded with tears. “T-Taetae-ah” she heard the woman standing a few feet away from her call her name. “Taetae-ah” the soft voice echoed in her ears. She felt her body go weak as the woman took careful steps towards her with the same teary eyes as hers. “Taetae-ah” Arms wrapped around her back as another body was pressed against hers. “Taetae-ah, have you been well?” The woman hugging her asked with her trembling voice.

 

Taeyeon closed her eyes and tears rushed down her face continuously. Her mind was slowly taking in the scene that’s happening to her and her trembling hands involuntarily moved, wrapping them around the woman hugging her. “E-eomma” she almost choked on her words.

 

“My Taetae-ah, you’ve grown so beautifully” Her mother whispered to her ears. “I’m so sorry for not coming after you” the woman cried drastically.

 

“Eomma” Taeyeon cried hugging her mother tighter. The word kept coming out of as she cried in her mother’s arms.

 

There wasn’t much words exchanged between the two women but only sobs and whimpers. Yuri who was only watching them couldn’t help but feel moved by the scene and cried along with them but then she remembered the other two persons standing on the other side of the living room, slightly smiling at the scene as well. She could only frown inside knowing that her friend might not take any of this lightly.

 

When the mother daughter parted, Taeyeon was looking at her mother’s face, brows slightly furrowed. There were a lot of questions she wanted to ask, there’s a lot of things she wants to know but she can’t seem to find the words at the moment. Her heart is too overwhelmed, she frowned. Her hand cupping her mother’s face. “Why did you age too fast eomma?” She unconsciously blurted out the words in her mind seeing the wrinkles on her mom’s face.

 

Mrs. Kim chuckled, “Age caught up with me fast”

 

Taeyeon’s eyes widened and let go of her mom’s face. “I’m sorry” she mumbled, looking down.

 

“It’s okay, it’s been too long huh?” Mrs. Kim assured her.

 

Taeyeon nodded her head.

 

“There’s a lot of things we need to talk about don’t we?”

 

Taeyeon nodded again.

 

“Come, let’s go to my study.” Mrs. Kim signaled and they walked inside a room across the living room.

 

“Would you like some tea or coffee?” One of the standing duo asked Yuri who was left in the living room with Mrs. Kim’s husband and daughter.

 

Yuri shot a look at them, “Coffee please” she shyly smiled. “And thank you”

 

The man nodded his head and disappeared in the kitchen.

 

“You’re T-Taeyeon u-unnie’s friend?” The daughter asked.

 

Yuri nodded her head.

 

“I hope it’s okay to call her that”

 

Yuri smiled, “I’m sure she won’t mind.”

 

“Uh.. please have a seat”

 

Yuri did as told and sat on the couch, the other girl took a seat on a single couch on the other end of Yuri. “How old are you?”

 

“I’m 19 years old”

 

“That’s a huge between you Taeyeon” Yuri chuckled. “Is it okay to ask questions?”

 

“S-sure”

 

“Ah, then tell me about yourself..”

 

•••

 

Taeyeon’s sitting on an unpowered aircraft chair comfortably, “This is nice” she complimented, running her hands of the side of the chair.

 

“It’s my seat for reading” Mrs. Kim smiled. She grabbed a photo album from the shelf and handed it to Taeyeon. “That’s where I placed all the photos I have of you.”

 

Taeyeon opened the photo album and saw a photo of her mom on a hospital bed holding a new born child in her arms. “That’s the happiest day of my life” Mrs Kim said, watching Taeyeon. “That’s you and me kid”

 

“Mmm” Taeyeon hummed with a smile.

 

“I know I have a lot to explain and there’s a lot I missed in your life. I left and there’s no valid excuse or reason for me to justify my selfish actions. I wanted to follow a dream but I unknowingly let go of the one I already had.” Mrs Kim frowned. “When I came to France, all I wanted was to be successful in what I do. I thought I was good— I believed I was good. But everything moved so fast, the competition in my field was tougher than I thought. I fought with dreamers younger than me and more passionate than me. I went head to head with them only to find myself sinking and losing.” She paused, taking a deep breath. “I was thrown off guard, I gave everything I owned to the manager who took me there only to realize that he was just a hoax. I lost almost everything I had. I was left with a little money, enough to get back to Korea and by that time, you were no longer under your father’s care.” She sighed.

 

Taeyeon was listening but kept her eyes on the photobook, flipping the pages from time to time.

 

“I asked him where you were and he wouldn’t tell me. I had nothing to offer, I owned nothing at that point and when he asked me what I could give you— I felt a pang in chest. He was right, I had nothing to offer. I couldn’t live with you— we won’t be able to survive on our own. So I moved here.”

 

Taeyeon clenched her jaw, “H-he said that to you? He had no right to do that.” She hissed.

 

Mrs. Kim shook her head, “He was right Taeyeon-ah, It wasn’t right for me to leave and then come back just because I realized my dream wasn’t for me. I couldn’t just barge in to your life and ask you to take me back with nothing to offer.”

 

Taeyeon looked into her mother’s eyes, “What did you think I would ask for? Material things? Eomma.. the only thing I needed from you, the only thing I wanted from you is you— being my mother. To care for me like a child.” Her voice started to tremble. “Do you how it felt like? To grow on my own? To not have my mother like how a normal child would? Whenever there’s an event at school for parents, I couldn’t ask anyone to come. My dad is busy with his new family and mom is god knows where I can’t reach. Do you know how it felt like to celebrate my birthday? Or to attend graduation ceremonies on my own? I felt so pathetic. I was envious of everyone around me because they had their mother beside them and I was on my own. I just wanted you eomma.. I just wanted you.” She cried.

 

Mrs. Kim knelt down in front of Taeyeon cupping her cheeks. “I’m sorry Taetae-ah, I’m sorry I made things hard for you. I’m sorry I wasn’t there. I’m so sorry.”

 

Taeyeon said nothing and let her mom wipe her streaming tears. “I don’t want you to think that I just abandoned you..” she frowned. “I tried to get my life back— I tried to stand on my own again. And then I met him, he helped me look for you”

 

Taeyeon scoffed, “Then you fell in love with him and had another daughter and decided not to come back for me huh? Because now you have a complete family.” She harshly stood up from her seat, accidentally pushing her mother back. She was heading towards the door when she heard her mother call her name.

 

“It’s not like that, when I found you, it’s true that I already had Irene then and you were in Australia.” Mrs. Kim continued.

 

Taeyeon looked back at her mom who was now walking towards her again. “And yet you still didn’t make an effort to see me!? The moment I could do things on my own, all I wanted was to find you! All I wanted was to see you!! But you knew where I was the whole time and you never once made an effort to let me know!?” She was now fuming in anger. “I guess I wasted all my effort for nothing” she scoffed, opening the door, she stormed out while Mrs. Kim was running after her calling her name.

 

“Yul let’s go! Were wasting our time here!” She called her friend who was surprised at the angry Taeyeon.

 

“Taeng what happened?” She asked, standing up from her seat.

 

“I SAID LETS GO!” She called again.

 

The people in the living room were surprised at her loud voice and Yuri immediately obliged bowing to the two persons who kept her company.

 

“Taetae-ah, wait!” Mrs. Kim was finally able to catch up with her.

 

Taeyeon faced her mother again with anger in her eyes, “It was a mistake looking for you and I don’t want to see you for the rest of my life!” She hissed, walking out of the house. Yuri bowed to them apologizing and immediately ran after Taeyeon.

 

Mrs. Kim was shocked and hurt at the same time, she was already crying when her husband enveloped her to a hug. “Hey, I’m sure she didn’t mean that” he whispered to her.

 

“I-I I-I’m s-such a bad parent.” Mrs. Kim broke down. “S-she hates me now”

 

“No, no— just give her time. I’m sure she’ll come around.” Her husband mumbled, trying to calm her down.

 

<||>

 

Taeyeon and Yuri were at bar in their hotel lobby, the shorter woman has been drinking since they got there. She’s been crying while calling herself a fool. She has managed to tell everything to Yuri who intently listened to her while rubbing her back when she cries.

 

It’s already dark and now Taeyeon has passed out from drinking too much and crying. She was about to ask for their bill when she heard Taeyeon’s phone ringing. Thinking it was important, she searched Taeyeon’s bag and thankfully found it. She was surprised though because she suddenly saw Tiffany’s name flashing on Taeyeon’s screen.

 

She bit her lower lip contemplating if she should answer or not but since the ringing won’t stop she decided to answer it.

 

‘Hello?’ She heard Tiffany’s reluctant voice.

 

“Tiff, it’s Yuri.”

 

‘Yuri? Did I call the wrong number?’ She heard her mumble, probably checking the name on her phone. ‘Why are you answering Taeyeon’s phone?’

 

Yuri looked at Taeyeon, “Well— she’s kind of passed out right now.”

 

‘Passed out?’

 

“Yeah, passed out like drunk kind of passed out so if there’s anyth—“

 

‘Drunk? Why is she drunk? Did something happen? Where are you? I’ll come over.’

 

Yuri almost chuckled at the frantic Tiffany. “Calm down Tiff. Don’t worry, I got her.”

 

‘No, where are you? Did you bring a car? Are you sober enough to drive?’

 

“Well— we don’t really need to drive anywhere. Were just at the hotel lobby so I just need to carry her to the elevator and to our room. I’m sure the bell boy here will be nice enough to help me.”

 

‘What!? Why are you in a hotel?’

 

“Because were in Jeju.” Yuri sighed.

 

‘Jeju? Why? Business trip?’

 

“Err— I’m not sure if I’m allowed to tell you, I don’t even know if you know about it.” Yuri contemplated.

 

Tiffany was getting nervous. ‘Tell me about what? ! Yuri you’re killing me here.’ She heard the woman whine.

 

“What do you know about Taeyeon’s family?”

 

‘Uh— her dad is married to someone else and her mom left?’

 

Yuri was a little surprised. “Oh, you do know.”

 

‘Know what?’

 

“About her mom. We came here because we found her but it’s not looking good that’s why Taeyeon’s passed out drunk right no—“

 

‘Yuri, I need you to give your exact location, NOW.’

 

“What? Why? I told you I got this.”

 

‘No, it’s either you do as I ask or I’m gonna freaking search the whole Jeju for the both of you. Either way I’ll be able to find out, so I’m asking you nicely right now, please send me your exact location.’

 

Yuri swear she has never heard Tiffany use that scary tone on anyone, she gulped. “Fine, I’ll text you with my phone. I gotta go now. Be safe Tiffany.” She said and ended the call. She fished out her phone and typed their hotel address sending it to Tiffany.

 

“! Taeyeon will kill me.” She groaned.

 

•••

 

It was about 10 P.M when Yuri was done tending Taeyeon. She has managed to put her to bed all by herself since Taeyeon is not a big person. She was able to wipe her clean with a towel and change her clothes to a more comfortable one. She’s very tired but she will do everything she can for Taeyeon. She feels bad for her friend and wishes she could do something to fix everything, just anything at all so Taeyeon can stop hurting for once in her life.

 

She just finished her dinner and was about to go wash up and get ready for bed when she heard the doorbell ringing. She raised a brow thinking that there must some mistake with the room service so she went to fetch the door.

 

Her eyes popped open wide when she sees Tiffany standing right in front of her.

 

“Where is she?” Was the first thing she heard and then Tiffany entered without waiting for her invite.

 

“Yah! Why are you suddenly here!?” She asked once she snapped out of her shock. She closed the door and ran after Tiffany who was already making her way to the living room.

 

“I took a flight from Seoul to Jeju by air so it was pretty fast. I got here a few hours ago but I had to wait for my room to be ready so it took a while.” Tiffany explained, eyes scanning the whole place. “How long are you planning to stay here?” She turned around to look at Yuri.

 

“About two days? I’m not sure, Taeyeon didn’t explain the details. Why?”

 

“Two days and you booked the presidential suite!?”

 

Yuri shrugged, “Taeyeon’s idea. I’m just a side kick here, she’s paying for everything so I don’t really get to say much. She doesn’t listen to me when it comes to things like these.”

 

Tiffany sighed, “That idiot. How is she by the way?”

 

“She’s okay now, sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter