Chapter 9.

That One Blinding Moment
Please log in to read the full chapter

LEAVING ON A JET PLANE

 

To say that the plane trip was nerve wrecking was truly understandable.

 

First, the present of this cold man who sat right in front of me, all brooding and all focus to his laptop.

Second, the bad weather had welcomed us the second we flew in the air. The private plane, courtesy of this stone-man in front of me, was once in a while shaking and made my heart drop to my stomach.

 

Extremely, a bad combination.

 

 

Out of all, plane was one of my favorite transport accommodation. It brought calmness into my senses when I saw an endless border of sky and its clouds that looked like a cotton candy.

But now it wasn’t even close.

When I looked outside the window, as far as I could see was darkness, greyish cloud with a sudden light of lightning. When the first droplet of rain touched my window, I decided to pull down the blindfold.

 

Closing my eyes, I tried to block all the rumbling sound of thunder, focusing on the breath exercise from the Yoga class I had with Sooyoung and Jessica two weeks ago.

 

 

My eyes snapped open when I heard a sound of unbuckled seatbelt. Jiyong rose up from his seat while taking his laptop with him. He walked toward the secluded cabin that placed on the back of the plane. Not too long after that, I heard a sound of the door closed. I didn’t realize how tense I was in his presence before now it bubbled into the surface after his departure.

 

I sighed as my mind unwillingly backtracking to the time during our journey from Kwon Head Quarter to Incheon Airport. Even though we were sitting next to each other at the backside of the black sedan, there were no conversations between us. Not that I wanted it, after all. He was busy with his phone while I was busy looking at the lovely traffic. Though I knew we will travel with non-commercial plane, judged from our ticketless condition, I was still mildly surprise when I saw his private jet plane already parked on one of the runway of the airport, ready to take off. There were eight seats with one small sofa inside the plane. With cream and beige color dominating the interior, normally, the warm and comfortable feeling could make the passengers feel at ease.

But I’ve decided, the whirlwind things that happened between me and Jiyong was nothing near normal. Mostly because of his defend mechanism that seemed at alert every time I near, when it should be the way around. 

 

 

My fingers moved to reach my phone. An amused smile decorated my lips when I re-read the text that Jessica had sent me.

 

Jessi. On 09.08

Oh? I seriously can’t believe the overflowing luck that you possess. Congratulation.

 

Taeyeon. On 09.15

Thanks for flattering me. You’re so kind.

 

Jessi. On 09.25

That’s what friends are for. Don’t claw against each other, ok? You may create the accident.

I still want to go shopping with you and Soo.

 

Taeyeon. On 09.38

Forever the kindest goddess.

 

Jessi. On 09.50

Well, I am.

Be safe, seriously. I’ve read there’s bad weather coming to our area.

I wonder if it’s your mood that triggered the storm to come.

 

Taeyeon. On. 09.58

Probably. Should I ask that to the stone man that sit beside me?

 

Jessi. On. 10.03

Stone man? So he’s coming back to his hometown!

He must be so happy.

 

Taeyeon. On. 10.13

I think he is.

Catch you later? The plane is going to take off.

Wish me luck. X

 

Jessi. On. 10.18

Be safe. Love you. X

 

 

My smile turned the biggest when she said Jiyong is flying back to his hometown. Jeju Island was most known for its stone statues from ancient time and it definitely related to the man that had disappeared behind that door. He was going to see his brother and sister in Jeju Island, then. Must be very happy.

I laughed at the thought.

 

 

Suddenly, the pilot announced that we were about to landed at Jeju Airport in fifteen minutes and asked us to buckled up our seat belt. Right after the announcement ended, Jiyong stepped out from the door. Looked all fresh and seemed straight from the shower as his hair glistened with water. The smell of woodsy and peppermint invaded my sense as he passed me to his previous spot, which was right in front of me.

 

Which was not helping my attempt to calm my wild-beating heart.

 

Why should he look so damn charming?  I silently cursed under my breath.

 

 

“What did you say?”

 

My focus was snapped back right at Jiyong, eyes widened when I registered the meaning of his question.

I didn’t say that out loud, did I?

 

 

Quickly composed myself, “what do you mean?”

“I couldn’t catch you words.”

“But I didn’t even say anything.” I gave him my greatest innocent stare, hoping he would buy it.

 

But as he raised his eyebrows as a response to my words, I knew my hope was kind of useless.

 

It was a good thing that he didn’t push me further. Instead, he put on his black shades and buckled up his seat belt. Slowly and silently, I let out a relieved sigh. I closed my eyes and pursed my lips before I mentally knock my head for my stupidity.

 

That was so ing close, Taeyeon.

 

~***~

 

NEW FRIEND

 

“Do we really need to attend this charity?” Jiyong asked me once when he finished checking the blue map which I assumed was our schedule. He was, again, sitting next to me inside this sleek-black Lexus SUV, already on our halfway to Monsant.

 

His question was all too sudden that took me a while to answer and what I was very sure of, how I look like a goldfish with my opened and closed mouth.

 

“Yes.” Finally Taeyeon, why are you so embarrassing? “It is necessary to make a good impression toward the natives.”

“Good point.” Jiyong said briefly before handing the blue map back to his secretary that sat beside the driver, before back to his usual mode: Mouth sealed.

 

I sighed while throwing my gaze outside my window. Not that the scenery was interesting because heavy rain greeted us as soon as our plane landed and practically, all I could see was droplets of water, an occasional lightings, and thunders. I’ve also heard from the radio that rain had been pouring hard around Jeju area for coupl

Please log in to read the full chapter