Chapter 13.

That One Blinding Moment
Please log in to read the full chapter

I currently have a certain admiration toward Bangtan, so I hope you guys won't mind. Enjoy!

 

 

 

TOUGH

 

“Mr. Kwon, are you listening?”

 

Seungyoon’s voice cracked my reverie and pulled me back to the present time.

 

“Huh?” I dumbly answered, “What did you say?”

 

The subtle glints of annoyance were visible on the managers’ eyes. Seunghyun even glared openly at me.

I knew it was childish, losing focus over something when you were in the middle of critical meeting. It wasn’t acceptable, and myself knew that very well. Although I found it rude, the annoyance that the managers felt, I very well deserved it.

 

Last night, one of our building construction in Morocco fell down. Ten of the workers had died on site while another eight were hospitalized due to critical condition. Seunghyun dropped the bomb when I successfully contacted him last night before dinner with Joohyun ahjumma and Taeyeon. That man was even cursing me because when he called Monsant, the manager told him I hadn’t arrived yet while my mobile couldn’t be reached. He said the accident happened a while ago, with heavy rain that caused the crack on the ground as a temporary allegation.

 

My head ached.

 

I didn’t even think about telling him about my incidence and straightly asked him to send a helicopter the first thing in the morning.

 

That was probably one of the longest nights I ever had. The thought of the suffering family of the victims weighing my chest. It worsened with the heavy downpour of the rain and dozens of thunders, adorning my already restless mind with the memory of my dead grandfather and little sister. The overwhelming anxiety had pulled me into stupefaction that I found myself cowered on the floor. Head between knees in order to blocked every sound of thunders. If it happened to the teen me, I would’ve understand. But even my own state last night had caught me off guard.

It was the warmth of her hand that had brought my wandered mind back. It was her shooting voice that had switched my sanity back. It was the comfort of her embrace that had settled my troubled feeling. Instead of strutting further from her touch, I found myself surrender. Her warmth had made me pouring out that one painful memory that still very much vivid, letting her washed away the grief I felt.

 

I was glad that Taeyeon had successfully calmed me.

But on contrary, for that effect she had on me, I was scared.

 

 

That was why I instructed Seunghyun to take the furthest field from the main village to land the helicopter even though there was one nearer.

That was why I didn’t wake her when Seunghyun fetched me even though our company’s helicopter was big enough for another passenger.

That was why I dodged all of Seunghyun’s question about Taeyeon’s condition during the journey, knowing I could gave away some odd expression that might led him to the unnecessary assumption.

 

 

When I set my feet on Gimpo, my only goal was to putting all the memories of last night in the very back of my head. But as the strong woman Taeyeon was, it seemed the memories I had of her was also the strong ones. It kept coming back, no matter how hard I shut it down.

 

Now look where it brought me?

Receiving scrutinizing gaze from peoples, which placed under your authority, was never nice.

 

 

“Sorry, I had an awful incidence during the trip at Jeju. My mind just a bit tired, that’s all.” I straightened my pose, “Please continue.”

Ignoring Seunghyun’s blatant curious stare, I put my focus to the front where Seungyoon, one of our operation supervisor, elaborated further. He updated us with the recent condition of the site and the local government’s reaction towards the accident. They demanded for the project head also the upper management to meet them and explained how could this happened.

 

My father had specifically told me to fix this problem myself, stating that I could use this as an opportunity to learn. Of course he thought it will be good for my knowledge and experience in the future.

 

Learn my .

 

Though the only reason I had agreed to this unfortunate position was because to keep my mind occupied so those certain memories of her couldn’t reappear, nonetheless I nodded stiffly at my father’s order.

 

 

“We will form a team to approach the government and the survivor. We’ll pay respect by visiting their graveyard and gives their family our condolences.” I suggested. Almost all the participant nodded their head.

“Who’ll come?” Seunghyun asked.

“Me, obviously you.” I pointed, “Seungyoon-sshi you’re coming too. And please contacted their project head, informed him to give me the daily, weekly, monthly reports of that site. Sent me by email as soon as possible.” He nodded at my order. My gaze moved towards the calm man beside me, “Youngbae-sshi, please look up for the insurance contract. Make sure that each of the victim receive every penny they very much deserve.” Youngbae also nodded at me.

“Seokjin-sshi, you too. Beforehand, please make a backup plan in case they want to bring us to the court.” I spoke to one of the man beside Seunghyun.

Kim Seokjin, the head of the legal division nodded. “Should we alert our Law and Firm consultant too?”

“Just give them the big picture. No need to elaborate further.”

Please log in to read the full chapter