Chapter 5.

That One Blinding Moment
Please log in to read the full chapter

OLD SCHOOLER

 

“Mr. Kwon, Sir Kwon Young Hwan asks for your presence in the main meeting room now.”

Minmi, my secretary informed me through the intercom.

 

I glanced to my Rolex, 10 a.m. My forehead creased. They supposed to be in the middle of discussion for Monsant project. Kim Taeyeon was the one who acquire that land, so it should be under her supervision, the thing that she was very adamant about. My father guaranteed her wish and made her officially as the head project.

 

 

That made this meeting supposedly has nothing to do with me.

But nonetheless, I found myself knock the meeting room’s door.

 

 

“Ah, Jiyong-ah. Have a seat.”

Mr. Yang, one of our board commissioner greeted me. I bowed to all the gents inside the room first before walking to the empty seat beside him. My dad nodded his head as an acknowledgement to my presence.

 

 

There, I found her. Kim Taeyeon, the gem that Nana had told me so highly before, was standing with oozing confidence in front of us all, might be presenting her plan and strategy for this project. Oddly enough, I caught nothing in her eyes. I knew she wants this project as much as I did few years ago. So me seeing nothing, when she supposed to possess every joy and satisfaction during this long awaited meeting, had ignited the curiosity within me. Even when she stared directly to the depth of my eyes, I got no emotion swimming in her eyes.

 

 

Did something happen?

 

 

“You might be surprised, Jiyong-ah. But as you know, we’re here to discuss about our newest project in Jeju Island.”

My father started to explain to me. I nodded at him. He then continued his narration.

“As the one who acquired the land, Kim Taeyeon, who has more information and knowledge about the land in compare to us, shall be the one who lead the project.”

“But the problem is, she’s a newcomer to our company.”

Mr. Yang cut my father explanation.

“A very capable newcomer if I may add.”

My father added while acting nonchalant, by inspecting the folder paper in front of him.

“Please, this company is famous for our capable employees.”

Mr. Yang said, rolling his eyes. I had to give that to him for breaking my father’s words with the greater truth.

“Jiyong was once want to acquire the land, but got distracted by our Tokyo branch’s problem.”

Mr. Yang said while looking at me in the eyes.

 

 

Oh, trust me when I said I don’t like this.

 

 

“I want to give a new deal, for Jiyong to lead this project instead of Taeyeon.”

 

 

If I said that I could see nothing inside Taeyeon’s eyes, now I saw fury as soon as Mr. Yang dropped his words.

I smirked amusingly.

She really doesn’t like to lose this project, does she?

 

 

“But I’ve heard that Jiyong is currently managing a project in Brunei?”

Mr. Lee, another board of director said.

“That’s true, Mr. Lee.”

My Father responded.

“But like what Jiyong said in our previous meeting, Brunei project needs more contribution from operational division. For that, we can delegate Seunghyun.”

Mr. Yang explained.

“But Jiyong was the one who signed the contract with the government. What will they say if we change the structure in the middle of the project?”

Mr. Lee asked.

“We don’t have to. Sent Seunghyun as his co-Leader while Jiyong can occasionally visit the project once in a while.”

Mr. Yang suggested.

“As for Jeju project, we can place Jiyong as the lead project with Taeyeon as his co-leader. Is that what you’re thinking, Mr. Yang?”

Mr. Kim completed Mr. Yang’s suggestion, in which he smiled and nodded in return.

 

 

That was actually the best solution we could afford in a situation like this. when a bunch of old-schooler weren’t willing to give the new comers a chance, no matter how talented they are, someone has to step up and become their warranty, to ensure their that everything will be just fine. And that someone must has the tittle as the old-schooler like them.

 

 

Pity, I was the one giving them that nickname which figured out, I also one of the member. Or they regarded so.

I mentally rolled my eyes.

 

 

Beep… Beep…

 

I reached for my phone inside my pocket and opened it. I knew it was inappropriate thing to do in the middle of meeting but I was being dragged here in the first place. So, I didn’t give a damn.

 

Dara Park.

My movie premiere is on July, 23rd. I’ll give you the invitation later.

Don’t forget to come, Jiyong <3

 

 

I smiled at her message. But before I managed to text her back, my father’s voice bring my attention back to the meeting.

 

 

“So, how about that Jiyong?”

My father replayed his question, eyes mentally reprimanded me. I cleared my throat before answering.

“Can I say no to this?”

I asked the obvious question.

“You do know the answer, right?”

Mr. Yang chuckled.

“Then what’s the point of asking for my permission?”

“The sake of formality?”

Mr. Lee answered my amusement.

 

 

I shook my head. My contemplating gaze traveled to the fierce woman in front of us, her eyes penetrated through mine. Now, not only fury painted on those beautiful orbs, but also a hint of… disapproval?

 

Tsk, not my business.

 

 

“It’s settle then. Jiyong will be the lead project in our Monsant project while Taeyeon will be the co-leader. Do anyone want to object?”

Mr. Yang asked. His gaze swept every single person inside the room, including hers.

“No, sir. I’m perfectly fine with that.”

She managed to give Mr. Yang a little smile, to which he reciprocated with a content nod.

 

The thing that Mr. Yang and other gents fail to notice was her hardened fist that she successfully hid behind her body, but in a mere seconds had caught my attention.

 

 

My my my… such a woman.        

 

 

“So, this is our current plan and blue print of the Monsant project.”

Taeyeon handed me a folder.

I saw it thoroughly, sheet per sheet, trying to understand her point of view. It didn’t need the longest time for me to conclude two things, that she’s a brilliant planner and… an obstinate woman.

 

I frowned when I saw its previous owner still being on our advisory board for this project. Kim Taeyeon really wanted to play with my patience. I threw my gaze once again to hers in which she reciprocated by gazing back to mine with the same intensity. But soon enough, I changed that frown into my victorious smirk.

 

 

“As the lead project, I would like to make my first improvement for this plan.”

I started.

“And what is that, Jiyong-ah?”

My father asked me.

“I want to make a little change in structural organization and advisory board.”

“And which one do you want to change, Mr. Kwon?”

Taeyeon asked me, probably already knew the meaning of my words.

“The previous owner, get rid of his name from our advisory board.”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

Taeyeon said, a solemn disagreement dripping in her every word.

“The chance of him taking advantages of us is too big. We never know what’s under his sleeve.”

I answered her, “We don’t need his help, if that’s what you want, his guide.”

“He could be very helpful.”

She argued back.

 

I shook my head in disapproval. I wasn’t a first timer, dealing with women with

Please log in to read the full chapter